Thread: More Newbie Questions? >.>;;

Default More Newbie Questions? >.>;;

Well.. I only posted like.. a few times.. lol.. But I got more questions from my previous thread.... And to repeat some things I said in it..:

I'm cantonese..Bad with abbrieviations... And I can only understand it, not read.. So I only seen TVB adaptions of Jin Yong series....They are:

LOCH 1983
    ROCH 198..something >.> with Andy Lau
    DGSD 1995 with Felix Wong as Kiu Fung >.>
    ROCH 1996(I think) with Koo Tin Lok
    DOMD 198..something with Tony Leung and Andy Lau
    HSDS 2000(I think) with Lawrence..something.. I forgot his name..

and

DOMD 2000(I think) with Dicky Cheung..which I heard is pretty bad.. I still think Dicky owns

...Right.. Onto the questions..

1. Now...How do I ask this.. uh.. There are of course.. set of instructions of how to perform a set of kung fu technique or fighting style.. In wuxia.. There are like..phrases that I don't quite understand.... ...How does JY come up with those phrases.. ? They do help memorize the technqiues right?

Example from LOCH 1983:

H7G is teaching GJ the 18 dragon's palm.. and H7G is just saying these phrases I don't understand.. And GJ does some different body gestures everytime H7G finishes a phrase...

How do you intepret these phrases? Is there an easy way to make your own? Are they like poem..? .. I don't think this question is very clear.. sorry..

2. Another question on these..phrases-ish things.. Is there also different breathing and inner strength involved with these techiques to be performed?

Example from ROCH 1996:

YG is with H7G and the..... "Nou Yeurng Fung"..lol..Sorry I suck with names.. anyway.. H7G and NYF is badly hurt.. And they want to see who is stronger.. And since H7G can't really tell YG everything he knows about Beggar Clan moves.. He just orders him to perform them..and NYF will order YG his techniques to counter H7G's moves So.. what? --;? Doesn't that mean he knows how to perform the attack? I don't get it

3. Here's something about.. Taichi.. Er..What is taichi's moves? Are they very slow and powerful? I want to know more about Taichi..lol..

And.. more on techniques and moves..QuanZhen Jiao.. They have like.. fighting styles and the Big Dipper techniques right? Does JY really describe how they move and shtuff? Does he really describe every attack and move and how they work? Because in the adaptions..they look like random fighting to me.. >.>

Sorry if these questions are unclear T^T

Hi scypEr, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by scypEr
    1. How does JY come up with those phrases.. ?
    He's a writer, and a creative one at that.

They do help memorize the technqiues right?
    Yes.

How do you intepret these phrases?
    As a general guide, they deal with the movements and positions of arms, legs and body, the ways of breathing, as well as the methods of harnessing, controlling and using/exercising strength. [Someone, please correct me if I am unclear or wrong. Thanks. ]. As for an intepretation of these phrases, are you referring to a text intepretation (which is almost like a translation of the words), or a physical intepretation (which gives you the movements that need to be performed)?

Is there an easy way to make your own?
    What do you mean "make your own"? Do you mean that you want to create some martial arts techniques of your own?

Are they like poem..?
    More or less.

2. ... Is there also different breathing and inner strength involved with these techiques to be performed?
    Yes. Please see answer above.

Doesn't that mean he knows how to perform the attack? I don't get it
    I think you are referring to that part where Yang Guo (Yeung Gor), Hong Qigong (Hung Chat Kung) and Ouyang Feng (Au Yeung Fong) are stuck on Mount Hua (Wah San), and each of the two old men more or less gets the young fellow to fight the other on his behalf.

By then, Yang Guo already has a substantial foundation in martial arts, having learnt a lot from his teacher Xiaolongnu (Siu Long Lui). There is a saying somewhere (help, someone, please) once you understand something, you can understand most things where martial arts is concerned, so I guess, with the sort of foundation that Yang Guo has, it is not difficult for him to understand what Hong Qigong and Ouyang Feng wants him to do.

I would really appreciate it if someone could add to this and provide scypEr with a clearer explanation.

3. What is taichi's moves? Are they very slow and powerful? I want to know more about Taichi..lol..
    As a general guide, Taichi "uses the soft against the hard" (literal translation). It is not necessarily slow (the key is "soft", not "slow"), and its power in execution is more or less related to the skill and strength (internal/external) of the person using it. You could do a search on Google or something for "taichi" or "taiji" and get more information on it.

QuanZhen Jiao.. They have like.. fighting styles and the Big Dipper techniques right?
    Yes.

Does JY really describe how they move and shtuff? Does he really describe every attack and move and how they work? Because in the adaptions..they look like random fighting
    Yes, he does, in the novels. The descriptions are quite detailed, especially when it comes to major techniques (like the 18 Dragon Palms) and arrays/formations (like the Big Dipper).

For years, I was like you, understanding a smattering of Cantonese without being able to read anything. But because of my interest in wuxia, I taught myself to read Chinese characters, so that I can read the novels themselves. If you are really interested in Jin Yong novels, you should really try to find some time and learn how to read, because there is a lot that you miss by just watching the adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    For years, I was like you, understanding a smattering of Cantonese without being able to read anything. But because of my interest in wuxia, I taught myself to read Chinese characters, so that I can read the novels themselves. If you are really interested in Jin Yong novels, you should really try to find some time and learn how to read, because there is a lot that you miss by just watching the adaptations.
    There are also audio novels for Jin Yong, but I only saw Mandarin versions in China. I don't know if there are Canto ones.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    There are also audio novels for Jin Yong, but I only saw Mandarin versions in China. I don't know if there are Canto ones.
    To scypEr
    You should consider taking up Laviathan's suggestion and looking for JY novels in Cantonese. The only place that I accidentally downloaded one audio file is http://mp3.baidu.com but the entire website is in Chinese.

To Laviathan
    Thanks for your suggestion. I can read Chinese now, so it's all right. Besides, being more visual than auditory, reading is better for me. Thanks again.

Default To HuangYushi

You're welcome.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

And.. more on techniques and moves..QuanZhen Jiao.. They have like.. fighting styles and the Big Dipper techniques right? Does JY really describe how they move and shtuff? Does he really describe every attack and move and how they work?
    The Big Dipper technique are actual techniques still practiced by Wudang (Mo Tong) today at Mt. Wudang. It really requires 7 people to execute it properly. I don't believe QuanZhen invented it though because QZ, AFAIK, was not a kungfu school. So my bet is that it was actually invented by Wudang. I may be wrong, of course.

Hence, I suppose JY is really a master of Kungfu literature and theory (not necessarily a practitioner) to know all these stuff: how they work, strengths and weaknesses, what happens when one style of kungfu interacts with another style, etc.