Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweeper Monk = Li Qiu Shui's Sister?

Default Sweeper Monk = Li Qiu Shui's Sister?

I saw an interesting article at another forum, the poster came up with this theory, and provided many reasons and arguments for it. If you want a read, go here:

http://bbs.verycd.com/forum/lofivers...p/t153264.html

This is written in Chinese, I'm sorry if you can't understand it.

What does everyone here think about it?
    Last edited by Swordwiz; 02-24-05 at 11:51 PM.

Yeah, and I'm DGQB. We had this discussion before here. I think that theory is a load of sith.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I'm interested in reading about it if someone is kind enough to translate it.
    Thanx.

Its a joke!

Proposing that Sweeper is Wuyazi's love in disguise. That his force field was to protect people from touching 'him' and finding out he is a girl.

What a waste of time reading it!

Default Weird theory

It's too long and wordy a theory to translate, but here is a summary of the points it is trying to make:

Quote Originally Posted by http://bbs.verycd.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t153264.html

Note that the following are just the writer's theories:
    1. That Li Qiushui (LQS) was 17 years old when she caused Tonglao to run into error while training and thus end up physically stunted in growth. (Note: JY did not give LQS a specific age in DGSD 2nd ed, only saying that she was an old lady about 70-80 years old).
    2. That LQS's sister (we'll call her SIS in this summary) went periodically to the cave in Dali's Wuliangshan after WYZ and LQS left, thereby creating the shadows of a single woman practising swordplay that the disciples of the Wuliang School saw.
    3. That it was SIS, not LQS, who hid the manuals for Beiming Shengong and Lingbo Weibu in the cushion at the foot of the statue, and left word for its finder to kill Ding Chunqiu.
    4. That SIS was upset that her beloved Wuyazi (WYZ) and LQS had a daughter (who eventually became Mrs Wang, Wang Yuyan's mother).
    5. That SIS was upset enough to give up secular life, not as a nun where WYZ would probably find her in a nunnery, but as a disguised monk in Shaolin, where no one would ever think of finding her!

Hence, the writer concluded, that is how the Sweeper Monk at Shaolin:
    • Knew a lot about the Xiaowuxiang Gong.
    • Could explain Xiao Yuanshan and Murong Bo's ailments with shadows of the Beiming Shengong.
    • Had a very strong force field - i.e. to keep people at a distance, so that they could not find out that he is actually a woman.
    • Did not step out to kill Ding Chunqiu, because he was bound by Shaolin's rules against killing.

However, subsequent post-ers to the writer's theory commented:
    1. It was WYZ that harboured feelings for SIS, but nothing was ever written about how SIS felt in return.
    2. Nothing was ever written about SIS being or living the cave in Dali's Wuliangshan.
    3. LQS found out that WYZ loved SIS just before she died, and that the statue was actually SIS, not her. So it is logical (as we have read all this while) that LQS was the one who hid the manuals in the cushion and left instructions to have Ding Chunqiu killed, because she had always thought the statue was her (as it is written in the novel) until the very end.
    This guy's theory is as far-fetched as his writing is long-winded , and many people at his forum thought so. But I've got to take my hat off to him, for he does it in a convincing manner, quoting many passages from the novel to support his points. Then, he quietly slips his assumptions in among all that, hoping that readers would not notice until he drops the bombshell at the end.

I would rather the Sweeper remain somewhat mysterious. DGSD has always had a vague mythical undertone, so it's OK to have a character or two with fantastic pugilistic skills and an unclear background. It's more fun that way!

LMAO that was a classic.
    Yo momma cat

for some reason, I can't help but think for long time Sweeper Monk == Girl. Coincidence?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

The mere thought of this idea makes me cringe.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Son of Light would have loved this...
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

so, when he was nice towards XF, he might have a crush on XF
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Son of Light would have loved this...
    Wonder where has he gone to. He has not visited this forum since 04-09-04.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi

This guy's theory is as far-fetched as his writing is long-winded , and many people at his forum thought so. But I've got to take my hat off to him, for he does it in a convincing manner, quoting many passages from the novel to support his points. Then, he quietly slips his assumptions in among all that, hoping that readers would not notice until he drops the bombshell at the end.
    He might have used a lot of quotations from the book to defend his arguments, but he deliberately ignores the fact that XF did hit the Sweeper Monk on the chest, if the SM is a woman, XF would have noticed it at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil East
    He might have used a lot of quotations from the book to defend his arguments, but he deliberately ignores the fact that XF did hit the Sweeper Monk on the chest, if the SM is a woman, XF would have noticed it at that moment.
    You reckon a 80-90 year old Chinese woman still has boobs?

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Jin Yong's lady characters that do not end up with the one they love tend to be psychotic rather than enlightened.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang
    Jin Yong's lady characters that do not end up with the one they love tend to be psychotic rather than enlightened.
    Yep, and I can bet that Guo Xiang isn't an exception to that. Look at her successors!

total bullshit. whos the moron who came up with all these crap?

1. li qiu sui may be 70-80 yrs old. but her strong inner energy made her look like shes in her 40s. so if sweeper is her younger sis, he would look like hes in his 40s which he doesnt. he looks much older, so he cant possibly be her younger sis

2.if im not mistaken, the 2 fairys that ppl in mount wuliang saw was that of wyz n lqs practicing swordplay n not her sis

3.didnt li qiu sui kill her sister b4 she married wyz(i think) ? if so, then its not possible that her sis hid the manuals

4.not possible if shes already dead

5. total bullshit

and there was no mention that lqs's sis was from xiaoyao, im not surprised if she didnt even know kung fu. of the 3 elders, tiansan tonglao was the strongest(since wyz's progress stopped after he was crippled) and even she couldnt generate force fields. otherwise she would have done it when fighting lqs. n sweeper was light years ahead of her. so he cant be her sis

if sweeper is her younger sis, he would look like hes in his 40s which he doesnt. he looks much older, so he cant possibly be her younger sis
    This can be taken care of easily with some disguise.

Thumbs down Crackpot Theories

With these kind of issues, people should first ask themselves the following questions:

1. Based on logic and common sense, do you think Jin Yong intended Sweeper Monk to be A) an old monk, or B) a crossdresser?

2. Based on logic and common sense, do you think Jin Yong intended Dugu Qiubai to be
    A) a supreme swordsman invincible throughout his own life, or
    B) a raving lunatic with a colorful imagination?

3. Considering the order in which the author wrote his novels, do you think Jin Yong
    A) did not had the character of Dugu Qiubai in mind when he wrote LOCH, and later on created this character for ROCH, or
    B) intended Dugu Qiubai to have been an adversary of Wang Chongyang all along?

4. Based on logic and common sense, do you think Jin Yong intended
    A) Eighteen Dragon Subdueing Palms to be a supreme Yang style martial art only suited for very masculine, male practitioners, or
    B) Eighteen Dragon Subdueing Palms to have been invented by a woman in order to subdue men?

5. Based on logic and common sense, do you think Jin Yong intended
    A) Xiao Feng to be a very unromantic guy who was not very interested in women prior to meeting Ah Zhu, or
    B) Xiao Feng to be a homosexual who hasn't come out of the closet?

My suggestion: creativity is OK, but please add some logic and common sense...
    Last edited by Laviathan; 02-25-05 at 05:23 PM.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

I would never argue that JY intended Sweeper Monk to be a girl (have to read the book first anyway). Fact of the matter is, I like stories with touches of mystic, surreal, and complex twist. This mysterious sweeper monk - what is his identity? Forget about logic for a moment and let your imagination wander off.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    With these kind of issues, people should first ask themselves the following questions:

3. Considering the order in which the author wrote his novels, do you think Jin Yong
    A) did not had the character of Dugu Qiubai in mind when he wrote LOCH, and later on created this character for ROCH, or
    B) intended Dugu Qiubai to have been an adversary of Wang Chongyang all along?

My suggestion: creativity is OK, but please add some logic and common sense...
    Are you referring to that theory that Dugu and Huang Sheng were rivals? I think you mean him and not Wong Chongyang.