Thread: Sai Mun Chui Sheut's secondary skills

Default Sai Mun Chui Sheut's secondary skills

Yes, another Sai Mun Chui Sheut thread.

The general impression of Sai Mun Chui Sheut is that he knows the sword and very little else. Sai Mun Chui Sheut was also said to have been an expert on identifying and purging poisons. He alone knew how to save his future wife Sheun Sau Ching from Seung Gwoon Fei Yin's poison needles (Luk Siu Fung and Fa Mun Lau had no idea what to do). Similarly, Sai Mun Chui Sheut was the only person who knew how to save Au Yeung Ching from the Tong Family's poison. In the HAUNTED VALLEY novel, Luk Siu Fung also alluded to the fact that the forest maze that separated the Haunted Valley from the outside world would not be able to keep out Sai Mun Chui Sheut because SMCS was a master mathematician who could calculate his way through the maze. Furthermore, Sai Mun Chui Sheut was a successful businessman who owned and operated one of Beijing's most successful bakeries. All this makes him sound like a jack-of-all-trades like Jin Yong's East Heretic Wong Yerk See rather than a singleminded sword expert.

He's also quite skillful at walking, as not even Hua Man Lou could hear his footsteps.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

For most of your entire post, I agreed with, until this one line:

"All this makes him sound like a jack-of-all-trades like Jin Yong's East Heretic Wong Yerk See rather than a singleminded sword expert."

See, Ken, this is why you feel people go after Ximen Chuixie. People praise him up too much. I agree that he's not purely a swordsman; nor, considering the circumstances of his position, can he be. As he only ever draws his sword to kill, and he only does it (four times a year, I believe?), during the rest of the year, he has to have -something- to do, since he obviously can't practice with the sword. So of course he's going to have other things to take up his time, like math and business.

But it's too much of a stretch to say that he was akin to "Huang Yaoshi", one of, and possibly -the-, most brilliant minds in Jinyong's novels, who was, literally, a master of virtually everything. A master flute player (and an excellent singer, as well as master player of the zither as well; in ROCH, with but a single string left on a zither, he was able to play Li Mochou's song), a master poet, a master philosopher (he would often read and 'argue' with the works of the ancients), also a master mathematician, a master alchemist (hence the name, 'Yaoshi'), and a master strategist who not only 'solved' mazes created by others, but created mazes and formations himself, one of which was actually used on the battlefield against the Mongolians. So while it's perfectly fine for one to say that Ximen Chuixie was a multi-talented man with abilities outside of the sword, to put him on a level of multi-talentedness such as people like Huang Yaoshi will inevitably draw people who will come, and say, "No, he isn't, not really," only feeding to your belief that there's a conspiracy against the poor guy
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 03-02-05 at 07:07 PM.

Ximen Cuixue was also the master of baking cakes which was considered extremely manly even in ancient times.

Quote Originally Posted by SkineePanda
    Ximen Cuixue was also the master of baking cakes which was considered extremely manly even in ancient times.

I can't even tell if you're deadpanning that.

Well, what was his secondary fighting skill other than with the sword? I've always got the impression that most GL heroes, if they don't have their weapon of choice (sword, dagger etc.) they're screwed big time.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Well, what was his secondary fighting skill other than with the sword? I've always got the impression that most GL heroes, if they don't have their weapon of choice (sword, dagger etc.) they're screwed big time.
    Lu Xiao Feng and Shen Lang are pretty big exceptions though.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    Lu Xiao Feng and Shen Lang are pretty big exceptions though.
    Yan Nantian gives the impression he can rip people into two with his bare hands too.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Yan Nantian gives the impression he can rip people into two with his bare hands too.
    Yeah and he spent that whole LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG novel just giving the friggin impression. Right at the end, when I thought "Yay that biatch is gonna kick some arse!", everyone went into "peace" mode and the novel ended. Pffftt.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Yeah and he spent that whole LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG novel just giving the friggin impression. Right at the end, when I thought "Yay that biatch is gonna kick some arse!", everyone went into "peace" mode and the novel ended. Pffftt.
    What else did you expect from GL?