Thread: Which Movie/Series had the best Kung Fu/Chi Kung?

Talking Which Movie or Series had the best Kung Fu and/or Chi Kung?

OK, I'm a noob to Chinese Martial Arts movies and Chinese Movies in general, but I have this question that's been itching in the back of my cerebellum(see title). Anyways, I've watched a few movies (Chinese) i.e. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (CTHD), Hero, House of Flying Daggers (HOFD), Kung Fu Hustle and the incredible 2003/2004 Tian Long Ba Bu/Demi Gods Semi Devils series(TLBB/DGSD), and I found the Kung-Fu in each to be quite remarkable, each on their own terms. CTHD was directed by Ang Lee I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, haven't seen it in years) and had some beautiful scenery and some impressive Chi Kung in the forest scenes. Hero, was a masterpiece, though the film was sadly a bit short, it showed great promise for producer Zhang Yi Mou (spelling...) and I eagerly awaited future works from him, because of the realistic fighting; there was a lot less use of Chi Kung, but nevertheless, it was good fighting a la Jet Li. HOFD really dissapointed me because of the abominable story line, it was like watching an adult film, meaning the acting was just lame. The Kung Fu was decent, though our heroes were often at the mercy of enemies, often helpless, not really a good representation of films about ancient China. Then, there's TLBB, the greatest series I have ever seen, the Lord Of The Rings of Chinese Culture. This series was, how should I put it, AMAZING, the story had intense plot lines and followed the original books by Jinyong almost to the word/character, the characters were intriguing and the Kung Fu/Chi Kung was just breathtaking, mind the few bugs and cheap computer animation. The entire series was choreographed to almost atomic perfection; watching Qiao Feng/Xiao Feng execute HL18Z (I believe it's when the dragon appears out of sand/water/leaves) to save Ah Zi is just one of the best moments. Tears almost dripped from my eyes when I watched it again...lol. (Did I mention that TLBB also had great music subthemes?) These uses of Chi Kung are rarely seen in Chinese Hollywoodian films, and this really impressed me. Anyways I have one last example of Chi Kung/ Kung Fu, in the movie Kung Fu Hustle feat. Stephen Chow. This movie is great, and it's funny, the time period seemed to be set in the 1920-1930's, and it has great uses of Chi Kung near the end i.e. the Buddhist Palm, and some great ***-kicking scenes similar to Uma Thurman in Kill Bill Volume 1 slaying the Crazy 88's, here it's Stephen Chow, kicking AXE gang ***.
    Anyways, to conclude, I still believe TLBB had the greatest Kung Fu/Chi Kung combination I've seen to date. I just want to know if any of you guys know of any other movie/series with great Kung Fu/Chi Kung, and like me find that up to now, TLBB 2003 is dominating so far.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bztang; 03-06-05 at 02:27 AM.
    Liu Yi Fei is so cute!
    TTLB is the BEST

Also noteworthy is Legend of Zu movie.

Also the start of Palm of Rulai, in Julian's dream where they slice mountains etc. But outside his dreams the chi is powerful and innovative but not as hyper powered.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Haven't seen ROCH2005 yet but this series should not disappoint.
    Dragon2005

Yeah, DGSD is suppose to have the best martial arts in comparions with Loch, roch and HSDS imo.

But Roch 05 when out, should be worth watching. There is also Smiling Proud Wander 01 version that ppl said its nice? Also, Loch 03 if u haven't watch it yet. Both are China production.

Question LOCH03?

Quote Originally Posted by JingRong
    Yeah, DGSD is suppose to have the best martial arts in comparions with Loch, roch and HSDS imo.

But Roch 05 when out, should be worth watching. There is also Smiling Proud Wander 01 version that ppl said its nice? Also, Loch 03 if u haven't watch it yet. Both are China production.
    Hey Jing Rong,
    Is it me or just a typo, but you did write "Legend of the Condor Heroes" 2003??? Because I thought the newest version was 2001. Please clarify.
    thx
    Liu Yi Fei is so cute!
    TTLB is the BEST

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang
    Also noteworthy is Legend of Zu movie.

Also the start of Palm of Rulai, in Julian's dream where they slice mountains etc. But outside his dreams the chi is powerful and innovative but not as hyper powered.
    Are those two movies or just one?(Legend of Zu/Palm of Rulai)And do you know if who sells it online?
    thx Zhuge Liang
    Liu Yi Fei is so cute!
    TTLB is the BEST

Quote Originally Posted by bztang
    Hey Jing Rong,
    Is it me or just a typo, but you did write "Legend of the Condor Heroes" 2003??? Because I thought the newest version was 2001. Please clarify.
    thx
    The newest LOCH is indeed the 2003 mainland version starring Li Ya Peng and Zhou Xun. The newest version of "Smiling Proud Wanderer" ("Xiao Ao Jiang Hu") is the 2001 mainland version.

Are those two movies or just one?(Legend of Zu/Palm of Rulai)And do you know if who sells it online?
    thx Zhuge Liang
    I believe he's referring to the "Legend of Zu" movie starring Cecilia Cheung and Ekin Cheng. "Palm of Rulai" is a series starring Julian Cheung and Athena Chu. I know yesasia.com sells "Palm of Rulai", but I don't know about the "Legend of Zu" film.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 03-07-05 at 11:44 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Default OOPS

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    The newest LOCH is indeed the 2003 mainland version starring Li Ya Peng and Zhou Xun. The newest version of "Smiling Proud Wanderer" ("Xiao Ao Jiang Hu") is the 2001 mainland version.
    Oops...my bad
    thx again Lady Zhuge
    By the way, does yesasia.com sell LOCH to North America?
    thx
    Liu Yi Fei is so cute!
    TTLB is the BEST

By the way, does yesasia.com sell LOCH to North America?
    thx

Yes.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Default weird name

LOCH is also Legend of Arching Heroes!!! lol
    thx for the link Lady Zhuge
    Liu Yi Fei is so cute!
    TTLB is the BEST

Smile !

It's not worth spending your money on LOCH '03 for the fight scenes alone, it's not that good.
    Lame special effects and an even crappier choreography.
    If you're able to, rent if first to see whether you like it or not.

Even though XAJH '01's fight scenes are completely different from that of LOCH's (more style of swordplay as opposed to hand to hand combat), the fights are much more elaborate and well choreographed.
    You can just tell they have put a lot of time and effort on making the fights look good; the scenes outside the bamboo house versus the 3 sects and the fight against DFBB are prime examples of what I meant.
    And watch it for Xu Qing, obviously.
    She made the show great.
    Also, try to avoid Li Yapeng's onscreen presence if you can.

The high praise you've given TLBB kinda convince me to go see it now.
    Anyone know if it's available in Viet, yet?
    Thanks.

Default well...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyStriker
    The high praise you've given TLBB kinda convince me to go see it now.
    Anyone know if it's available in Viet, yet?
    Thanks.

Hi HeavenlyStriker,
    Yes indeed, I gave the series high praise, though I haven't watched the previous versions (i.e. 97, 82, etc). However, the best part of TLBB was the story; it was very well adapted from the books although some scenes were modified, or dropped, but overall I believe that most people who watched the series really like them, except for the occasional matrix-slow motion which are sometime innapropriately inserted. The fight scenes may seem cheesy to some because of the use of special effects, (for example: the chess game between Yellow Brow and Duan Yanqing, which was an energy board in thin air whereas in the book its on stone; or Zhong Ling's pet, and Ah-Zi's bugs, were all a bit cheesy but were fun to see), but I actually found all the effects pretty good (maybe not if you compare to top of the line graphics from Lord Of The Rings), much better than any TVB show. Anyways, their use of special effects doesn't really affect the fact that the show is still great and has garnered my full loyalty (I'm watching it for a 3rd time in the last 2 months). Twenty eight hours of pure action and fun, I'm like addicted to it, even though I haven't watched that many Chinese series or movies. Some other cons would be some sometimes mediocre acting, lack of following the books and unrealism that some people complain about, but that doesn't make it bad, not at all. I just love it. But that's my opinion, and I do suggest you try to watch it. I'm not sure if you can get it in Vietnam, but you can try finding some stores that have it at a mall/market or maybe import it from China . Or maybe download it online. I remember I downloaded the first episode for free from some website...but you have to pay for the rest. I'll try to find that site.
    Liu Yi Fei is so cute!
    TTLB is the BEST

Default Can Anyone Post XAJH?

How is Xiao Ao Jian Hu spelled in Chinese???
    And also...what are other series that you guys can recommend, because I was thinking about Tian Shia Di Yi, though I have no idea what it is, it's star packed seemingly(correct me if i'm wrong)
    Liu Yi Fei is so cute!
    TTLB is the BEST

How is Xiao Ao Jian Hu spelled in Chinese???
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu = 笑傲江湖

As for Tian Xia Di Yi, yes, it has a star-studded cast. You might want to check out the thread on that series in this very forum (China Series).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

HSDS 2003 is good too

Default Whats HSDS about?

Hmm... I just know a bit on HSDS (Heaven Sword Dragon Saber) from the thread, so could someone post a sypnosis on it?
    thx
    Liu Yi Fei is so cute!
    TTLB is the BEST

Legend of Bruce Lee 2008 even thought the person portraying Bruce Lee kinda not good acting.

Also check out 碧血劍 (Sword Stained with Royal Blood) for some really awesome fighting (It also has romance, so gals would not be disappointed either). But Chi Kung is mostly lacking as the fighting is mostly with weapons. The emphasis being on the Mount Hua Sect sword and the Golden Serpent Gentleman sword techniques. I think many feel that this is a very underrated ZJZ series.

Zhang JiZhong Water Margin series have lot of great kung fu scenes.
    His film producing always focus on ethical moral values rather than some film producer who just want to make quick gold and silver by luring in fans with cute actors actress but the whole series would be horrible plus many cgi rather than natural looking scenes.