Thread: Why are drive-in theatres disappearing in USA?

Default Why are drive-in theatres disappearing in USA?

In LA country, there's currently only ONE drive in! That's right! ONE!! Nothing else.

I tried to go there, but my lazy, boring, neutral sister ain't interested in going there. And my mom has no time since it takes 25-35 mins to reach it. And idk about others, so no word about them.

I looked through the internet, and it seems that LA County used to have many drive-ins. And the country used to have more nationwide. However, what seemed go wrong, leading to out of business?
    Last edited by teenman; 03-12-05 at 01:04 AM.

hmmm, maybe because ppl prefer to watch movies in indoor theatres? or maybe cause some ppl dont have cars...
    currently watching: None. Too busy to watch TV!

Financial reasons really.

Drive-in theatres are outdoors, so the earliest they can have any showings are after sunset, and even then it's subject to weather, as opposed to screens in regular theatres, which can hold as many showing as desired within one day. On top of that, drive-in theatres take up more space than normal ones, since instead of a person, they have to accomodate cars/trucks. As a result, it's cheaper and more profitable to have a real cineplex, not to mention it's a more efficient use of the land for the community.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by xcutie
    hmmm, maybe because ppl prefer to watch movies in indoor theatres? or maybe cause some ppl dont have cars...
    Have you ever driven in rush hour traffic?

you can only use it pretty much in the summer or when the weather is nice, no one really want to watch in drive-in theaters when it's raining or snowing outside, or even when the weather is cold which means you have to leave the engine running and put the heat on full blast. not economical and financially not rewarding at all.

i HELLA WANTED TO EXPERiENCE THAT!!! THE LAST TiME i HEARD ABOUT THE DRiVE iN THEATRES WAS WHEN MY FRiEND WENT TO HAWAii AND HE SAW THE MOViE ''SCHOOL OF ROCK'' THAT iS iN HAWAii... i DONT NOE ABOUT HERE iN CALiFORNiA... i HOPE WUN DAY SOMWUN WiLL iNViTE ME TO WATCH OUTDOOR THEATERS... i THiNK THATS ROMANTiC!!!! HAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by ~young and dangerous~
    i HELLA WANTED TO EXPERiENCE THAT!!! THE LAST TiME i HEARD ABOUT THE DRiVE iN THEATRES WAS WHEN MY FRiEND WENT TO HAWAii AND HE SAW THE MOViE ''SCHOOL OF ROCK'' THAT iS iN HAWAii... i DONT NOE ABOUT HERE iN CALiFORNiA... i HOPE WUN DAY SOMWUN WiLL iNViTE ME TO WATCH OUTDOOR THEATERS... i THiNK THATS ROMANTiC!!!! HAHAHA
    YeAh! A GReaTTT PLaCE TO MAkE OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by ~young and dangerous~
    Could you please stop yelling?
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z
    YeAh! A GReaTTT PLaCE TO MAkE OUT.
    LOLZ.. HAHAHA.. WELL, U CUD PUT iT iN THAT WAY! HAHAH

For the amount of land that a drive-in theater occupies, putting in several strip malls would be much more profitable for the landowner.

It always comes down to profit.

Drive-in theaters haven't been common since the early 1980s. Most of the ones I remember from my childhood have been razed and converted to other purposes. There were thousands of them across the U.S. as recently as the 1970s, but only a few dozen now.