Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stepping Out

Default Stepping Out

Has anyone seen this Singapore series (Stepping Out)? What's this series about? I just saw 1 episode of it in my local TV station but dunno what episode it is. The series seems interesting.

where isit showing?? I want to watch it again...

that series is quite good. award winning series...

Quote Originally Posted by tequila
    where isit showing?? I want to watch it again...

that series is quite good. award winning series...
    NTV7 (Malaysia TV channel). I was shown on weekdays at 12.30am.

I really can't remember but it's one of those historical dramas but it was a good show. It won best drama in singapore the year it was shown.

i hope singapore channels will repeat it again.
    ah i can't get that channel frm my home.

The name's familiar but I can't really place it. Can you tell me who the actors are or what was happening in the 1st episode you watched. I believe this was one of the better made productions of TCS tho.

I remember seeing Terence Cao, Tay Ping Hui, Cynthia Koh, Yvonne Lim, Chunyu Shanshan (?) etc, Cynthia Koh shaved her head and she also won the Best Actress award for this serial.

Quote Originally Posted by summersakura
    I remember seeing Terence Cao, Tay Ping Hui, Cynthia Koh, Yvonne Lim, Chunyu Shanshan (?) etc, Cynthia Koh shaved her head and she also won the Best Actress award for this serial.
    yeah cynthia shaved her head for the role.
    and ping hui won best supporting actor.
    this show was from 1999.
    the chinese title is CHU LU, i think.

In the 1st episode I saw (not the 1st episode of the series) , a guy named Chen Xia (the actor also acted in Innocently Guilty) got thrown off the ship that is going to Nanyang. Why did the sailors throw him off the ship and what is his relationship with the bald girl? Why is that girl bald and who his that boy that she brings along to S'pore? What is her relationship with Han Yan (the actress who also acted in Innocently Guilty)?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    In the 1st episode I saw (not the 1st episode of the series) , a guy named Chen Xia (the actor also acted in Innocently Guilty) got thrown off the ship that is going to Nanyang. Why did the sailors throw him off the ship and what is his relationship with the bald girl? Why is that girl bald and who his that boy that she brings along to S'pore? What is her relationship with Han Yan (the actress who also acted in Innocently Guilty)?
    err can't help u with the questions.
    can't remember.

But Chen Xia is acted by Terence Cao.
    The bald girl is acted by Cynthia Koh.
    Han Yan is acted by Yvonne Lim.

I think this series is very well done. The set, costumes, situation and characters, all very realistic. And they did not ignore other races as well. You can see Malays and Indians in the background too and in yesterday's episode, I see a chinese guy talking to a malay guy in Bahasa Melayu. That's very realistic.

The series is also quite educational. I like black and white segment where they give a brief history of certain things that happen in the old days. Yesterday, I learn about the 'Xin Ke'.

But there's 1 thing that bug me a bit. I know it's nitpicking, but I still can't help noticing it. The chinese guy who talks to the malay seller keeps on saying 'n batang satay'. Isn't the penjodoh bilangan for satay 'cucuk'? Or did they use 'batang' in Singapore?

Why did NTV7 have to put this series in so late a slot? They show it at 12.30am where most people has already gone to sleep.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-24-05 at 10:38 PM.

I think this series is very well done. The set, costumes, situation and characters, all very realistic. And they did not ignore other races as well. You can see Malays and Indians in the background too and in yesterday's episode, I see a chinese guy talking to a malay guy in Bahasa Melayu. That's very realistic.

The series is also quite educational. I like black and white segment where they give a brief history of certain things that happen in the old days. Yesterday, I learn about the 'Xin Ke'.

But there's 1 thing that bug me a bit. I know it's nitpicking, but I still can't help noticing it. The chinese guy who talks to the malay seller keeps on saying 'n batang satay'. Isn't the penjodoh bilangan for satay 'cucuk'? Or did they use 'batang' in Singapore?

Why did NTV7 have to put this series in so late a slot? They show it at 12.30am where most people has already gone to sleep.
    hey glad u like the show.
    and ya i think it's a pity that they show the drama late there...

btw i think we learnt in sch that the penjodoh bilangan for satay is 'cucuk'.
    but i guess in the old times perhaps they used 'batang'?

This was a good production. I can only vaguely remember the plot but I remember the acting was top notch from all the main casts. Especially Xie Shaoguang.

The theme song was great too.

我吃得起苦
    I Can Take Hardship

电视剧【出路】主题曲
    Stepping Out Theme Song
    作曲:陈佳明
    Composer : Chen Jiaming
    作词:陈佳明
    Lyricist : Chen Jiaming
    主唱:动力火车
    Performer : Power Station

走出去 就有路
    A road always exist, you only need to take the first step

寻见了 就有福
    If you find it, count your blessings

拥有了一切 都进了包袱
    Put all your earthly possessions, into your travel bag

思念是带不走的
    But homesickness is something you can't pack

天空 疑云密布
    Dark clouds loom across the sky

心中 翻腾起伏
    The heart is topsy turvy

虽将飘摇 前途仍模糊
    Though the journey's beginning, the future's still uncertain

此地会是我 衣锦还乡处
    This place shall be where I'll return accomplished

飘洋过海 我吃得起苦
    Floating across the ocean, I can take any hardship

相信天无绝人之路
    Believing life will always provide a path

现实有咒诅 梦里有祝福
    Reality is harsh but dreams provide comfort

有缘同舟 风雨同渡
    Fate brought us onto the same boat, through wind and rain

顶着烈日当空 眼底有迷雾
    Under blazing hot sun, the eyes are hazy

不能再让懦弱困住
    Must never let weakness trap me again

日子多坎坷 命运有变数
    No matter how tough each day is, there's a possiblity fate may change

只盼久旱逢甘露
    Only wish the day will come soon

http://ch8c.mediacorptv.com/dramafest/stepping.html

Direct link to the opening

http://202.172.237.7/drama_festival/...teppingout.asx
    Last edited by wuchang; 03-25-05 at 11:35 AM.

hey u all forgotten xie shao guang le and Ivy Lee!!!! haha.. and yes the theme song won the best theme song in star awards 1999!!! woah!!!
    My idol: Jay Chou, JJ Lin, Junyang, Jae Hee, Julian Cheung, Jimmy Lin, Mike He, Kingone Wang, Raymond Lam, Tank, Hyun Bin.

Chen Xia was thrown off the boat because he didn't have a ticket and he smuggled himself in the ship.he and the bald gal"HongDou"(Red Bean)are childhood sweethearts.HongDou is bald because her dad forced her to marry this abusive rich guy and she shaved off her hair as a form of retaliation.The little boy is just a child HongDou and Chen Xia picked up after an air raid or something.The bald girl befriended Hai Yan on the same ship that was going to Nanyang.

hehe,hope that answers ur qns

just wondering though, is it possible to get VCDs for some of these classic Singaporean shows? I am particularly interested in getting this one and 'The Price of Peace' amongst others but TCS only seems to produce VCDs for select shows, some of which I think are pretty bad like 'Shuang Tian Zi Zun 3'...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner
    just wondering though, is it possible to get VCDs for some of these classic Singaporean shows? I am particularly interested in getting this one and 'The Price of Peace' amongst others but TCS only seems to produce VCDs for select shows, some of which I think are pretty bad like 'Shuang Tian Zi Zun 3'...
    They released VCDs for 'Shuang Tian Zi Zun 3'? I thought they only released some interactive cdroms for it but not the drama itself. anyway don't think mediacorp released price of peace etc. maybe in other countries but not singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_jamz
    They released VCDs for 'Shuang Tian Zi Zun 3'? I thought they only released some interactive cdroms for it but not the drama itself. anyway don't think mediacorp released price of peace etc. maybe in other countries but not singapore.
    yep, I remember seeing VCDs for 'Shuang Tian Zi Zun 3' and 'Holland V' and apparently bought either the Singapore version of 'Xiao Ao Jiang Hu' or 'Shen Diao Xia Lu'.

Thanks sashimi for the summary. I've already given up hope of ever getting an answer for that question of mine, and then u came along.

Anyway, to fellow M'sians who have nothing to do in the afternoon (this usually pertaining to students and homemaker), u can watch this show at 3.00pm every monday to friday. The 12.30am show is a repeat.

Too bad i cant watch it in Singapore. Hopefull by the time i go back end April its still running.

anyway, i wrote to MCS asking if they can bring back the series on tv .. for hte 5:30pm slot which usually show repeat series. pray that they would la

Do you guys know if this serie was ever released into viet? I've got the themevideo for it and it really does look good. Looks very touching and sad at the same time!!! All the scenes that shows the guys eating and basically crying

Hehe, thanks wuchang for the translation lyrics!!! Hehe, I'm going to rewatch the themevideo and now that I understand what is being said, will make it even better

I'm not sure if you guys have mentioned it yet, but I was wondering what this actor's name was. From the themevideo, he's the one who runs in when Yvonne is going to become a nun or something like that. I know he was also in Royal Monk as Kiem Fei hehe, I've always liked him!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.