Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mi Li Dang An - Mystery Files [Gallen Lo, Maggie Cheung, Marco Ngai, etc.]

Question Mi Li Dang An - Mystery Files [Gallen Lo, Maggie Cheung, Marco Ngai, etc.]

I've just started watching this relatively old mystery serial from the mid 90's (?) starring Gallen Lo and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee. For others who've watched it, what are your opinions on the plot, acting, etc.?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    I've just started watching this relatively old mystery serial from the mid 90's (?) starring Gallen Lo and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee. For others who've watched it, what are your opinions on the plot, acting, etc.?
    omg this series is so old and I think it was a time that TVB "cashed in" when the X files was hot and "the thing" to produce back in the mids 90s.

What do I think of the series? Good at the start but I didn't like many of the cases in it, too many were unbelievable or had apt explanations to the mysteries. I can't remember much of the series, but only one - I think the first case that talked about how people died in a cursed house or something had a very fitting explanation, the fumes that emitted from a Chinese ornament which was deadly and toxic or something alone those lines.

Apart from that it was your typical TVB detective/mystery serial with much of it focusing on the love rela. between Maggie and Gallen. Acting wise, I think Gallen Lo really suits the dectective/spooky style, I cant really recall much but I think he is the person who believes in aliens or was he some sort of scientist? Again, it was similar to X files where Scully was the one who tried to explain everything by science (I guess that's Maggie in this case) and Mulder believing in the unbelievable. Nick Cheung was crap though as Gallen Lo's brother, I don't think he fits very well in roles where he isn't given a hefty load of screen time, but again isn't a cameo character. Maggie Cheung was solid but nothing outstanding from what I can recall.

Although having said all that I'd really like to see TVB produce another serial based on the mystery theme/genre. Oh yer, nice song by Jacky too at the end...I won't spoilt the ending for ya but lets just say it has some super/magical powers.

Hmm...so not many people have seen this series or don't have any opinions to share on it?

Quote Originally Posted by harhar
    omg this series is so old and I think it was a time that TVB "cashed in" when the X files was hot and "the thing" to produce back in the mids 90s.
    Everyone looks so young, especially Marco. I'm guessing The W Files is a lot like this series?

What do I think of the series? Good at the start but I didn't like many of the cases in it, too many were unbelievable or had apt explanations to the mysteries. I can't remember much of the series, but only one - I think the first case that talked about how people died in a cursed house or something had a very fitting explanation, the fumes that emitted from a Chinese ornament which was deadly and toxic or something alone those lines.
    The first case dealt with an allegedly cursed idol statue that caused the deaths of many people.

I like this series so far even though many of its concepts are "way out there". It's good for some exciting/scary moments.

Apart from that it was your typical TVB detective/mystery serial with much of it focusing on the love rela. between Maggie and Gallen. Acting wise, I think Gallen Lo really suits the dectective/spooky style, I cant really recall much but I think he is the person who believes in aliens or was he some sort of scientist? Again, it was similar to X files where Scully was the one who tried to explain everything by science (I guess that's Maggie in this case) and Mulder believing in the unbelievable.
    It's actually the opposite of X Files in that Gallen plays a professor who relies only on science and Maggie's the one with belief of the paranormal.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hmm...so not many people have seen this series or don't have any opinions to share on it?

Everyone looks so young, especially Marco. I'm guessing The W Files is a lot like this series?

The first case dealt with an allegedly cursed idol statue that caused the deaths of many people.

I like this series so far even though many of its concepts are "way out there". It's good for some exciting/scary moments.

It's actually the opposite of X Files in that Gallen plays a professor who relies only on science and Maggie's the one with belief of the paranormal.
    I think it's circa 1996 or 1997 and yeah, the fashion/hairstyle and people sure look different. My memory of the series is vague so what I posted might not be too accruate on specific details and yer, now I remember Gallen is some sort of scientist.

The W files is very similar to this series except it was set in old Shanghai circa 1920s or so. This of course is modern day HK.

Of the two, I like W files more, though I have to admit, there was obviously a bigger budget, lots more stars even up to the cameo roles (Roger Kwok, Anne Heung..etc) but basically I didn't like the cases towards the end in the W files. They seemed too rushed without too much planning and more drama than thriller or mystery.

It was a bad copy of 'X Files'. TVB wanted to produce a show similar to 'X Files' at the time it was a HIT show, but couldn't and didn't do a good job on it. The show had good actor/actress but bad stories.

No suspence, nothing to look forward to................I grade it a "C"

This series is quite good....full of suspense and we will never know who's the culprit in the middle of the show

I've never actually seen a full episode of The X Files, so maybe one of the reasons why I'm liking this series more than I originally thought I would is that there's no predecessor to compare it to due to my own lack of exposure to the science fiction genre.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

watched this ages ago so my memory here is very very vague. but i remember enjoying this series.
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

I've never actually seen a full episode of The X Files, so maybe one of the reasons why I'm liking this series more than I originally thought I would is that there's no predecessor to compare it to due to my own lack of exposure to the science fiction genre.
    Actually the thing that was interesting about this series is that if memory serves me correctly, the explored cases that dealt with Chinese mystery themes, e.g. reincarnation, or was that in the W files, hmmm it's been way too long to recall.

Actually the thing that was interesting about this series is that if memory serves me correctly, the explored cases that dealt with Chinese mystery themes, e.g. reincarnation, or was that in the W files, hmmm it's been way too long to recall.
    You remembered correctly. I'm actually on the case dealing with reincarnation now. How convenient that these people always manage to come back as people and not animals or some other kind of organism.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I actually like this series better than W Files. This one is more believable than W Files I think. Good Plot, Interesting Cases too. I watched it ages ago when it first came out, then borrowed the tapes again last year. Too bad they haven't got them in VCD.

i agree. the w files is a major disappointment for me. this series is way better
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

I've finished watching this series.

***SPOILERS***

The ending was really weird, as harhar had alluded to. It wasn't completely predictable because I was definitely not expecting the crazed fan's second hidden knife the second time around. Even though I knew that Maggie would be saved since Gallen had symbolically found the missing puzzle piece, it was still suspenseful. I liked most of the cases except for a few that I didn't feel were explained enough. My overall grade for this series is a B+.

I'm going to watch The W Files next, but it seems to have mixed reviews. Em gave it 5 stars while some of you here didn't like it much at all.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I remember this series, the story abt the guy who could take out peoples hearts freaked me out a little back then...hehehe

I enjoyed this series on the whole, Actually come to think of it it is like an earlier version of The W files... I enjoyed The W files as well, i'm into all the fantasy/science fiction thing
    Life is what U make it...
    ...So make sure U live with no regrets...
    ...and live it to the MAXX!!!

lady zhuge: just prepare yourself to be annoyed with yoyo mung in the w files
    cherrie

Quote Originally Posted by SaraCrystalWater
    I remember this series, the story abt the guy who could take out peoples hearts freaked me out a little back then...hehehe
    Yeah, that was disturbing. That was also one of the stories I wish they explained a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    lady zhuge: just prepare yourself to be annoyed with yoyo mung in the w files
    Thanks for the warning. I liked her in Armed Reaction 4, so hopefully she won't be too bad in The W Files.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Is this the show where Gallen's character uses sharp pencils as daggers to fight his foes?
    shin chan

Quote Originally Posted by chupah
    Is this the show where Gallen's character uses sharp pencils as daggers to fight his foes?
    No, this isn't.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm starting this series now. And even Wong Wai, who played Gallen's former Professor looks young.

Theres some supporting actresses who I haven't seen for a long time, like Maggie's co-worker and I think Emily Kwan is in it too as Gallen's secretary?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Wow, In the second case, theres Benny Chan Chin Pang! I didn't know he had any acting roles before entering ATV.

It seems most of the girls in here have short hair, is that a style in 1997?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.