Thread: H7G, an assassin or a righteous man?

Default H7G, an assassin or a righteous man?

Reaping my understanding from LOCH '94 television adaptation, in an attempt to edify the young GJ on his opinionated view that martial arts do more harms than goods, H7G told GJ that he had killed over 300 people, and because they were villains, he was able to assuage his guilt for butchering them. Hence, my question: was H7G an assassin or a righteous man?
    Last edited by Ken Tran; 07-05-05 at 01:16 AM.

In the wuxia world, being a vigilante is typically quite well excepted in wulin as long as the people you kill really committed unforgivable crimes.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

In any case, "assassin" isn't the right word. "Assassin" implies sneaky, behind-the-back murder. Those whom North Beggar Hung 7 Gung killed probably died in fair combat against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    In any case, "assassin" isn't the right word. "Assassin" implies sneaky, behind-the-back murder. Those whom North Beggar Hung 7 Gung killed probably died in fair combat against him.
    How about "avenger" or "cleaner"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Tran
    Reaping my understanding from LOCH '94 television adaptation, in an attempt to edify the young GJ on his opinionated view that martial arts do more harms than goods, H7G told GJ that he had killed over 300 people, and because they were villains, he was able to assuage his guilt for butchering them. Hence, my question: was H7G an assassin or a righteous man?
    For your answer, just look at what H7G did over the course of LOCH. He's very refrained when it comes to taking someone else's life. Sometimes perhaps overly so. I have a hard time imagining him killing anyone who doesn't seriously deserve to die.

I always thought that with his reputation and battle record, North Beggar Hung 7 Gung would have gone after and eliminated Lee Mok Sau during that long killing spree she went on for the decade before the beginning of ROCH. To have committed that many cruel murders (including the entire Luk Family), Lee Mok Sau was very lucky to have never run into Hung 7 Gung.

In fair combat against those whom H7G Killed was most probably against fighters of the wuxial world. However, against those corrupted government officials whom he had killed, he would do so in a way to spare him the trouble of being wanted--he assassinated them.

I always thought that with his reputation and battle record, North Beggar Hung 7 Gung would have gone after and eliminated Lee Mok Sau during that long killing spree she went on for the decade before the beginning of ROCH. To have committed that many cruel murders (including the entire Luk Family), Lee Mok Sau was very lucky to have never run into Hung 7 Gung.
    Lee Mok Sau was probaly on H7G VIP list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Tran
    In fair combat against those whom H7G Killed was most probably against fighters of the wuxial world. However, against those corrupted government officials whom he had killed, he would do so in a way to spare him the trouble of being wanted--he assassinated them.
    I don't think he had to worry about anonymity. Beggars, even Beggar Union Chiefs, are quite anonymous.

By LOCH, all the Greats had essentially retired from Wulin. They all pretty much spent all their time traveling around. Xi Du because he was insane. Nan Di for Buddhism, Dong Xie for peace and quiet and Bei Gai for leisure. They were all 'Shi Wai Gau Ren'.

I don't think he had to worry about anonymity. Beggars, even Beggar Union Chiefs, are quite anonymous.
    In any case, we know that H7G was an ardent supporter of the death penalty.

It is indeed quite unbelievable that Li Mo Chou could go on killing people around Jiang Hu for over decade by not encountering the Greats. At the beginning of ROCH, she confronted HYS. I doubt whether HYS actually could go to kill her at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    It is indeed quite unbelievable that Li Mo Chou could go on killing people around Jiang Hu for over decade by not encountering the Greats. At the beginning of ROCH, she confronted HYS. I doubt whether HYS actually could go to kill her at that time.
    Lee Mok Sau was lucky that Wong Yerk See was preoccupied with saving the injured Ching Ying than continuing his fight with her, or she would have been dead meat. She was lucky again that Gwok Jing, Wong Yung, and Au Yeung Fung were similarly too preoccupied with young Yeung Gor to pursue her.

Maybe H7G just doesn't like beating up women.

Killing so many people is not mentioned in the novel I think.
    But in the ancient time death penalty was heard very common.
    We will be dead in hands of butcher if we commit any crime, unless it's a very very minor one.

He didn't even kill Lingzhi Shangren (I think it was him?) when he raped women; all he did was pull his hair out and beat him up and make him promise to reform. I very much doubt the old beggar killed that easily.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

An assassin for a good cause can also be a rightous man. If he killed 300 and saved 3000 that would have been killed then he did good by my standard.

By the time of ROCH he was spending his time hunting down good food and killing villains. He was still hunting villains right up to his death on the mountain when he fought Ouyang Feng.