Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: State of Divinity 《笑傲江湖》

Yep definitely. I also liked how they showed DFBB in the beginning explaining how he got the KFBD from RWX.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g90/taksimblade/sod96.jpg')

TVB (and Taiseng), it's time to release the DVD version of State of Divinity.... Quite possibly one of the greatest wuxia series ever.

Yeap one of the best TVB seires out there <3 FIONA LEUNG <3

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    TVB (and Taiseng), it's time to release the DVD version of State of Divinity.... Quite possibly one of the greatest wuxia series ever.
    The DVD version is available
    http://www.wuxiasociety.org/forum (Your gateway to the global wuxia discussion on web)

Quote Originally Posted by chickenfeet View Post
    You mean the official release? where? i'm pretty sure that taiseng/tvb hasn't released the series yet

I am guessing that you are talking about an illegal pirated version right??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

To pick up on an earlier discussion here- SOD 96 is one of the classic wuxia serials out there- even better than XAJH 00 (I agree 00 was epic, but I was very unengaged.... everything about it was well-done- wire-work, dialogue, characterization- but I didn't feel much for characters or the plot in the end, and I couldn't tell if it was the script of the lead actor who I've never found very engaging)

SOD 96 on the other hand, you can't help but be taken up by LHC's story, and care a lot for the devilishly clever and charming LHC here- much credit going to Jackie Liu and the writers! Plus yes, the music helps!

I would put SOD 96 in the top 10 wuxia's of all time for me. (BTW, Chow YunFatt's XAJH was pretty awful- it was before he became a really great actor.) I'll also put in a plug for "Twin of Brothers" by TVB, it made me feel somewhat the same way... very engaging performance and roles for and from Raymond Lam and Li Qian in here- and one of the very few wuxia shows in the last 10 years I love.

I would put SOD 96 in the top 10 wuxia's of all time for me. (BTW, Chow YunFatt's XAJH was pretty awful- it was before he became a really great actor.) I'll also put in a plug for "Twin of Brothers" by TVB, it made me feel somewhat the same way... very engaging performance and roles for and from Raymond Lam and Li Qian in here- and one of the very few wuxia shows in the last 10 years I love.
    I completely agree with you here. SOD 96 is one of the best wuxia series of all time. I give it the edge over XAJH 2001 which i feel is the best wuxia series this decade. I also thought Twin of Brothers was TVB's best wuxia this past decade. Good tastes.

What would be your top 10 wuxia of all time? Actually i'm going to create a thread on that.

Hmm... that is a very tough question- I'm fond of wuxia and I would want to put a few great wuxia movies into the list somehow. Off the top of my head, the wuxia that left me deep impressions
    HSDS 86, HSDS 01, SOD 96, and the movie version of Dragon Gate Inn starring Lin Qing Xia, Maggie Cheung and the taller Tony Leung

never finished this series...probably because i really like cherrie in her role and didn't think fiona leung fit the role of ryy. don't get my wrong. i've liked fiona in every role except for the roles of ryy and princess fragrance. she doesn't look those parts. nor did i think rebecca chan (from the 80's version) looked fitting as ryy. both actresses didn't bring the role to life for me. to date, only anita yuen truly looks the part of ryy even though i couldn't finish anita's version because of richie ren and the bad script.

i never got in the music for this version. i thought the 80's version had the best instrumental (it was enchanting) and i kept on comparing the music from this new version to that one.

sorry, couldn't complete the 2001 version. i saw the beginning, some parts of the middle, and the final 2 episodes. it was too bland of a series for me despite receiving so many praises. that version lacked charm and the camera effects made me dizzy.

that said, i really enjoyed jackie's interpretation of lhc. he was very charismatic in his role...definitely the best lhc to date. maybe i'll give it a shot and try to finish this series some day just for jackie.
    Last edited by patricia n; 07-03-09 at 02:43 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    never finished this series...probably because i really like cherrie in her role and didn't think fiona leung fit the role of ryy. don't get my wrong. i've liked fiona in every role except for the roles of ryy and princess fragrance. she doesn't look those parts. nor did i think rebecca chan (from the 80's version) looked fitting as ryy. both actresses didn't bring the role to life for me. to date, only anita yuen truly looks the part of ryy even though i couldn't finish anita's version because of richie ren and the bad script.

i never got in the music for this version. i thought the 80's version had the best instrumental (it was enchanting) and i kept on comparing the music from this new version to that one.

sorry, couldn't complete the 2001 version. i saw the beginning, some parts of the middle, and the final 2 episodes. it was too bland of a series for me despite receiving so many praises. that version lacked charm and the camera effects made me dizzy.

that said, i really enjoyed jackie's interpretation of lhc. he was very charismatic in his role...definitely the best lhc to date. maybe i'll give it a shot and try to finish this series some day just for jackie.
    Wow. You sound so selective with your actors and actresses. Couldn't any of the other elements of the series be enough for you to sit down and watch the entire series? Why should one actress ruin your viewing of the series? Even if I don't like one actress in a series, I'd still watch it if I like the story and everything else about the series. You see what I mean?

Although, Fiona Leung would not have been my first choice as Ren Ying Ying, she still gave a decent performance and that made up for her not looking the part.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 07-03-09 at 04:01 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    Do it, Patricia. It's worth it. The only complaint I have with this version is the clothing/custome; some of them are hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Wow. You sound so selective with your actors and actresses. Couldn't any of the other elements of the series be enough for you to sit down and watch the entire series? Why should one actress ruin your viewing of the series? Even if I don't like one actress in a series, I'd still watch it if I like the story and everything else about the series. You see what I mean?

Although, Fiona Leung would not have been my first choice as Ren Ying Ying, she still gave a decent performance and that made up for her not looking the part.
    i'm not that selective, actually. it's just that i heard so much positive reviews for this series, that my expectations were set really high. also, that one element happens to be a huge element as fiona is the leading female (same reason why i cannot bear to watch charmaine sheh's series despite a good storyline, not to say that fiona is a bad actress. by no means did i want to insult her by comparing her to charmaine sheh). in addition to her not looking the part, i didn't find her acting that great as ryy. as mentioned, she couldn't and didn't bring the role to life. ryy is a very dynamic character, and i felt that fiona lacked a particular quality in her acting in this series to convince me that she is rry (as jackie is lhc). also, up to that point, i was watching many fiona series (she was somewhat promoted in the 90's and i loved her in vuong truong duong, the series with ekin cheng) so i began to get tired of her too. and plus, like i mentioned, i really liked cherrie's chemistry with jackie in this series so i didn't want to watch it further when their relationship went downhill even though i knew that it would. plus, at the time, i had a lot of better things to do than watch that series, hence it wasn't a hard decision for me to drop the series.

edit: up to that point, i continued to use noel leung as a standard to which i measured all actresses, so most actresses fell short and i was okay with it. again, this series received a lot of hype and i was expecting more from fiona as she did well in her other roles, but she couldn't deliver as ryy for me. i'm sure she did a better job than most tvb actresses at the time. however, there was such a contrast in her performance versus jackie liu's and the fact that she didn't look like a ryy to me made it somewhat easy for me to discontinue the series during a very busy time in my life. like i said, perhaps if i have more time in the future, i may consider rewatching this series for jackie.
    Last edited by patricia n; 07-03-09 at 06:03 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I am guessing that you are talking about an illegal pirated version right??
    Yes Mainland China version, hey at least everything is intact with dual audo Mandarin/Cantonese and in DVD format.
    http://www.wuxiasociety.org/forum (Your gateway to the global wuxia discussion on web)

Yes Mainland China version, hey at least everything is intact with dual audo Mandarin/Cantonese and in DVD format.
    Yeah i got that pirated copy too LOL. But the video sucks so i'm waiting for the official release with high quality visuals.

i havent got the chance to see this series, and the good reviews from you guys make me wanna watch and compare it to the chow yuen fat's version ...

No wonder I can't get the DVD / VCD of this 96笑傲江湖! There is no official release yet! Anyhow, Jiang Hu is planning to subtitle this series some time next year. We're thinking of getting the raws and more personnel. PM me for details. Thanks!
    Jiang Hu, a Wuxia fansubbing team
    Currently seeking for more help!

No selling or trading of series here, it's against forum policies. Thank you.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 01-16-11 at 09:17 PM.

This is IMO one of the greatest wuxia series of all time, trailing just behind the 90s version of DGSD. It's 99% faithful to the novel and all of the actors/actresses did a great job. I agree that Fiona Leung was not best as Ren Yingying, but her performance was adequate enough. This is a must watch!

The remake 2012 version only seem to be wooing and amusing people with hot girls/guys actors/actresses.

I hope it's not like that but it look like it. They are just making a fashion show out of this great series.