Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: State of Divinity 《笑傲江湖》

Best wuxia series of all-time? For me it is. I watched it twice.

I saw some pics of the 2012 version... and we see Linghu Chong TRADING PALMS with Ren Woxing??? He never did that in the novel, because that would be guaranteed death if he did.

In the 1996 version, I remember the actors playing Zuo Lengchan and Yue Buqun doing an excellent job. Many of the other supporting actors were great for their role too. On top of Jackie Lui playing the perfect LHC. This series is quite fateful to the novel, the only notable difference is Ren Woxing blowing the mountain up and dying of a heart attack at the end.

Anyone think the new 2012 version will surpass 96??

This is one of TVB finest work in the Wu Xia department. Everything seems so perfect. I didn't watch the version before it but I've seen a few episodes of the versions after this. I didn't like it. It just wasn't the same.

Definitely agree it's one of their best wuxias ever and its too bad there's still no signs of an official DVD or vcd release. Doesn't look like they will rrelease it

Don't know if the new one will surpass this one or not. I don't want to make any judgments before I see it. I must say, though, that I don't feel any excitement for the upcoming one at all, so I might not even watch it. As someone noted above, the 96 one was very good and it's the version I watch when I miss State of Divinity.

I rewatched it after it originally aired 10 years later and it felt like a new experience again, probably one of the best jin yong adaptions ever. Just curious since there is no official dvd release, where do people watch it?? I managed to come across someone who lent me the old VHS ..

The video store where I rent series decided to get rid of all VHS copies so I bought a bunch of series on VHS, State of Divinity 96 being one of them. Because the tapes were original VHS releases, the video and audio are still very good.

TVB!!! Stop making us wait and release this on DVD already!! 16 years is long enough to wait for a DVD release...

Hey does anyone know the name of the song that played on the last episode, it occurred when Linghu Chong thought Ying Ying was dead and he takes his sword and gets ready to kill himself beside her on the bed.

I came across this last week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwpKlVX6tJs
    Based on the youtube's comments it is this song.

I remember this series fondly for the Ashes of Time soundtrack pieces that it uses liberally throughout. It really contributed to the mood of the drama. I wonder if licensing the music has anything to do with the release of it in DVD or that it's really a cult favorite.
    -SC

The Ashes of Time Soundtrack definitley made the series more memorable as they effectively used the right melodies in the right situation.. the soundtrack was amazing.. you bring up a good point maybe they would have to pay out too much for the music and decided it wouldn't be worth it. Doesn't make sense to me they release Rage and Passion DVD staring which was not really a hit at all... and not release SOD 96 which is regarded by many as one of the best adaptions ever.. maybe next time I go to hong kong Ill gather some people and hold up some signs that say Release SOD 96!!

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    I came across this last week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwpKlVX6tJs
    Based on the youtube's comments it is this song.
    A very lovely song. I could barely recognize that the singer is Sandy Lam, cause I've only heard her sing in Mandarin. Thanks for the link dictionary!

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    I remember this series fondly for the Ashes of Time soundtrack pieces that it uses liberally throughout. It really contributed to the mood of the drama. I wonder if licensing the music has anything to do with the release of it in DVD or that it's really a cult favorite.
    Your comment made me look up Ashes of Time, and I end up watching it. So that's where the songs are from. I'm pretty sure I've heard this soundtrack in other series as well. Very dramatic and poignant at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoki View Post
    .. maybe next time I go to hong kong Ill gather some people and hold up some signs that say Release SOD 96!!
    Please do!

I had to watch Ashes of Time twice to really appreciate it for its purely emotional and moody experience. The first time, I was expecting a more or less faithful adaptation but once I let go of those expectations, I thought it was a good standalone movie about lost love. Dare I say though that State of Divinity used the soundtrack better in the drama - though my opinion may be biased since I saw it first. Also of note, Stephen Chow's "A Chinese Odyssey" also used some of the tracks from Ashes of Time.
    -SC

Haha I"m pretty sure their security guards would chase me away pretty quickly, I sent TVB an email and the first response I got was really confusing he stated the State of Divinity is currently out of stock but then I inquired it's never been released and I was just wondering if you were going to release it and then no response since lol...

Ashes of Time I had to watch a few times as well. First time around I didn't really fully capture what they wanted to do with the film. I also thought the State of Divinity made possibly better use of the soundtrack..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQR2...feature=relmfu

This track in particular was my favourite. I didn't realize it was in the Chinese Odyssey, Ill have to watch that again.

Please do!

I had to watch Ashes of Time twice to really appreciate it for its purely emotional and moody experience. The first time, I was expecting a more or less faithful adaptation but once I let go of those expectations, I thought it was a good standalone movie about lost love. Dare I say though that State of Divinity used the soundtrack better in the drama - though my opinion may be biased since I saw it first. Also of note, Stephen Chow's "A Chinese Odyssey" also used some of the tracks from Ashes of Time.

Oh I just remembered this track:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkxMo...feature=relmfu

Was also in the newer version of a Chinese Odydessy with Faye Wong and Tony Leung. The 2000 version I think, so that Ashes of time soundtrack has been in various movies/series I guess. Very effective use in the scene in Chinese Oydessy

Please do!

Haha, Bygone Love is my favorite track too. If you search for Ashes of Time Redux on youtube, you can find a lot of new tracks/remixes too that came out with the redux version of the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPyh3...1A9C4DA00D21D2
    -SC

yeah, the jackie lui version is the best, the others are quite suck, the casts for the main character are not fit except li ya peng

li ya peng : second after jackie lui

chow yun fat : not too bad since his natural character is easy going like ling but he's a bit too .... too manly or dignified i think

richie ren : i don't like him at all in all of his wuxia drama, chu liu xiang, yang guo, ling.... he's simply not flamboyant enough to take those characters (sorry... :-( ), i like him in a movie like fly me to polaris or summer holliday though

steve ma : he's a good actor, not fit for ling hu chong role though, especially with that hilarious wig..., he looks best in the legend of eight immortals

jet li : lol
    Last edited by mideel; 12-17-12 at 09:41 AM.

Man, I miss this series a lot. I watched this in my childhood and I loved it. The best LHC and Yue Buqun out of any adaptation (also, the best Tian Bo Guang). Some of my favorite scenes were the ones that feature the interaction between LHC and Tian Bo Guan (when LHC saved the female monk and when they fight at Huashan Mount). Does anyone know anything about Zheng Bai Lin (Tian Bo Guan). Too bad TVB never promote any of their supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by shangster View Post
    Some of my favorite scenes were the ones that feature the interaction between LHC and Tian Bo Guan (when LHC saved the female monk and when they fight at Huashan Mount).
    That's my favorite scene also!! Yes, the TBG actor did a fine job. I remember his facial expressions vividly. You make me want to watch this again.