Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Third edition changes

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Hmmm? I don't see Xu Zhu or DY or Sweeper or even the rest of the Greats like GJ and ZBT suddenly producing wierd sounds.

Why did JY stick this funny bit in?
    I don't see XZ or DY doing it, but...

GJ did a roar when he was 33 at the very beggining of ROCH to try to force LMC to compete with him.
    Shenshan was able to do a impressive roar.
    After the 1st meeting with the 3 Du Monks, ZWJ left roaring to try to scare the monks and make them treat Xie xun better.

Not sure why JY sticked it in. Probably to show that this isn't compete BS thought from his mind. And it also shows that YG is already pretty acomplished internally.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    I don't see XZ or DY doing it, but...

GJ did a roar when he was 33 at the very beggining of ROCH to try to force LMC to compete with him.
    Shenshan was able to do a impressive roar.
    After the 1st meeting with the 3 Du Monks, ZWJ left roaring to try to scare the monks and make them treat Xie xun better.

Not sure why JY sticked it in. Probably to show that this isn't compete BS thought from his mind. And it also shows that YG is already pretty acomplished internally.
    No but those were intentional roars. According to your post, JY said that if u have too abundant energy, you can't stop yourself from roaring?

well, that was what the translation said. When one achieves a certain level, one would not be able to resist himself from producing wierd sounds due to the overwhelming chi in the body.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

About the Huang Yaoshi aged 30 and Yang Guo aged 20 bit. It is not that 30 year old Huang Yaoshi's internal strength is a bit better than Yang Guo.
    The reason why that roar of Yang was so powerful was because of Huang Yaoshi. Huang Yaoshi used his internal energy to help Yang recover a day earlier, however Yang Guo had Ancient Tomb and Jiuyin energy stored in him. Adding the different style of internal power of Huang Yaoshi, his body needed to vent out everything.
    The abundant powerful energy of East Heretic, the Ancient Tomb stored energy (because of the Ice bed) and the Taoist fluent Jiu Yin. Result is a roar that can only be produced by someone like a Great.
    Huang Yaoshi's comment was how is it possible that this child is able to do such a feat at his age. What kind of strange encounter(s) did he have? Huang, himself, was only capable of doing such a thing (a roar of a Great) when he was 30.

Wang Shouren (the Ming general/minister/philosopher (renaisssance man) of the mid Ming dynasty produced a roar that startled his army, because Wang Shouren was a established internal energy cultivist. According to legend, Wang Shouren was an unhealthy child/youngster who was destined to die very early in life (20 or something). But by becoming a "chi gong" master he did prolong his life, he died when he was almost 60 years old. Whether this is true is debatable.
    It's not a weird sound! It's a roar. In Yang Guo's case, he had to vent his abundant energy.
    Wang Shouren's action was said to be out of frustration (not clear in ROCH 3rd edition novel, but again according to legend). He needed to vent his frustration, hence a roar.

With all due respects, Whise. You're only creating more confusion by producing inaccurate translations. It's admirable that you want to translate certain paragraphs and such, but try to verify your translations with good Chinese - English dictionaries (Times, Oxford, etc.)
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

hehe sorry, that word I was unsure of. I checked it and it means suprise, different, STRANGE. 原来一人内功练到一定境界,往往会不知不觉的大发声. It didn't say a roar unless the word 异声 means a roar which I don't think it is.... (unless the phrase together means a roar).

A roar on the other hand I thought is 啸. Which the likes of GJ, YG, ZWJ gave out.

And though what YG gave out was a roar, it did mention that it was a "wierd" sound-黄药师当他起身穿衣,早已知觉,听到他所发奇声 So I'm techinically right, right?

And um.... isn't 王阳明 Wang Yang Ming instead of WangShouren?
    Last edited by Whsie; 09-12-06 at 04:02 AM.

1. Now, when H7G and OYF matched palms in the end, their internals started to "reverse". H7G turned from regular to reversed while OYF turned from reversed to regular.
    Anyway, for anyone who has read the 3rd edition, can they explain this for me? I was reading it, and then JY suddenly mentions Dao Jin about the reversals. And I'm still confused on what happened.

And um.... isn't 王阳明 Wang Yang Ming instead of WangShouren?
    [王守仁,字伯安,號陽明] Wang Shouren, Courtesy name: Bo'an. Assumed name: Yangming! So Wang Shouren = Wang Yangming!

Again, you're not helping. You don't even bother to check the information yourself (google Wang Yangming and you would have known). You create more confusion than actually solving "problems."
    And all we need of hell.

Well, the name JY used was Wang Yang Ming, not Wang Shouren.

And I do have to point out that while my info isn't perfect, but I have yet to believe you can say my info is wrong either. Even though YG did give a roar, but when JY talked about someone reaching a level and making sound, he refered to it as strange and wierd sound, not a roar. And when JY mentioned Wang Shouren, he used the name Wang Yang Ming, not the other.
    I actually think it's this mini arguement here that is giving the confusion.
    Last edited by Whsie; 09-17-06 at 03:06 AM.

Well, the name JY used was Wang Yang Ming, not Wang Shouren.

And I do have to point out that while my info isn't perfect, but I have yet to believe you can say my info is wrong either. Even though YG did give a roar, but when JY talked about someone reaching a level and making sound, he refered to it as strange and wierd sound, not a roar. And when JY mentioned Wang Shouren, he used the name Wang Yang Ming, not the other.
    I actually think it's this mini arguement here that is giving the confusion.
    [b]Wang Shouren and Wang Yangming are the same person!!![b] For crying out loud! Like if we read history books and people refer to Qiu Chuji and Qiu Changchun (his Taoist name) does that mean that they are different people!
    And all we need of hell.

I know they are the same people......
    I was just pointing out that the name that JY used was Wang Yangming. So when you say Wang Shouren, people may possibly not understand who he is because that was not the name that appeared in the book.

Question on DGSD 3rd Edition.

Did that paragraph where JMZ chanced upon YTZ practising the Yi Jin Jing get deleted? I never liked that, it was inserted too hastily as a plot device.

So what happened to that Yoga manual? In 2nd ed, it was the YJJ and JMZ stole it before giving it back to DY for return to Shaolin.

Did JMZ learn Yoga too? What caused his fire deviation if he did not force-learn YJJ?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

IIRC, Athena said in her changes that JMZ had fire deviation due to not learning the 8th part of Xiao Wu Xiang Gong.

Senior Member invisible_dolphinbay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    A few corrections.....

As for the love life of Duan Yu, nothing too interesting. The Xixia princess saw that Duan Yu was looking quite sad and offered a caring companion for him in the form of the palace maid. The 4 sword girls were a gift too, but those girls married the sons of the 3 Ministers. It was only said in the end that Mu Wanqing later on became the Imperial Consort [皇妃], Zhong Ling became Consort Xian [賢妃] and the palace maid Consort Shu [淑妃]. One of them was the mother of Duan Zhengxing (the father of Duan Zhixing/reverend Yideng), but it was unclear which one.
    As for Wang Yuyan, she could not learn the method to preserve her youth. Because the only persons who knew the skill were all dead (Tonglao, Wuya Zi and Li Qiushui). She just went back to her mad cousin.

I don't think this makes sense. WYY is about hte age of ZL nad MWQ. how is it that duan yu didnt' care that ZL and MWQ aged (kept them as concubines) while he cared so much about WYY? it just doesn't makes sense. also, if she aged, howm many years later is this? so TLBB suddenly says: 20 yrs later. WYY ages, canot treat it, DY dumps her?
    dolphin_bay

It doesn't have to do with Duan Yu so much. DY apparently didn't get together with WYY in the first place due to non youth related reasons. It was WYY who cared about the youth preservation ability, not DY.

BTW:

If TSTL's big art changed from Ba Huang Liu He Wei Wo Du Zun Gong to Tien Chang... Bu Lao Gong, her neigong would seem to be the youth skill. But if Wuyazi and LQS also know it, then isn't that a significant change from 2nd Ed. where only TSTL knew BH6HWWDZG?

I don't know if anyone would agree with me but I think 2nd edition made the stories really good but 3rd editions killed them.

have you read the 3rd editions?
    My personal opinion is that the 3rd editions wrap up any loose ends and make the stories more complete. For me, I enjoyed the changes.

Regarding TLBB-3e, I like many of Jinyong's more subtle alterations. However, a lot of the major changes are fine in principle but in practice are really quite clumsily written. He basically 'hacks' his novel, patching his original text with big sections of explication which disrupt the flow of the narrative. JY's handling of Duan Yu's emperorship, and the breakdown of his relationship with Wang Yuyan, was done with admirable intentions but executed with appalling sloppiness. I was also disappointed that he castrated the ending. TLBB-2e closes on the haunting image of Murong Fu's insanity, which I thought was quite powerful, and fitting for a tragicomedy; in 3e, JY appends to this some soft-focus pseudo-historical stuff on DY which causes the novel to end not with a bang but a whimper.

I still like the novel, of course. TLBB remains a banquet of a book, and inconsistency is just something JY readers have to accept.

wow i didnt know that much changes were made. never read the novels but seen all of the tv adaptions of them. didnt really understand why each one were always different i guess each tv series were being portrayed by different editions of the novels. so rotch06 is based on 3rd edition? then why didnt yang guo use his sword at end fighting the monk? would ve been better if they were to follow the novel exactly 100%.

10) Jinlun Fawang is now called Jinlun Guoshi (Imperial High Priest). The term "fawang" is gone. The reason is that a small group of people were making a lot fuss, saying that it was typical that Tibetan monks were portrayed as bad, Jin Yong always had left (left as in Communist) ideas, etc....Well just to appease those people he changed it, Jinlun is a Mongolian monk who studied Lamaism in Tibet. Lamaism became the main religion in Mongolia.

16) The Imperial Priest taught Guo Xiang everything including Tibetan Buddhism. And he was very pleased to see her even progressing faster than his late head disciple.
    Glad to hear Tibetan Buddhism is getting some respect in the 3rd edition
    Good job Jin Yong! I say this because usually only Mahayana Buddhism, Taoism and Manicheism (Ming sect) gets good coverage.

It'll be cool if Guo Xiang learned some Tibetan inner energy cultivation as well... But that's asking for too much.... Or wait.. did it mention what type of skills Guo Xiang learn?? She learned everything including Elephant Dragon Tantra?

In the previous edition, YCZ is 100% faithful to QQ... though I think he possibly had an attraction to Ah9, mostly out of pity and well... 'lian xiang xi yu'... There's lots of instances in the novels where he expresses (in his thoughts) how QQ was the only one he loved. Even when YCZ and Ah9 were in the same bed (YCZ was in the palace and hiding in her bed) nothing happened (unlike the 3rd edition, where they shared a kiss). part of the reason why Ah9 became a nun in the first place was because she found out how much YCZ loved QQ (last chapter of the book).

In the third edition... YCZ becomes unfaithful, and basically stuffs up both girls lives- he marries QQ without loving her, and leaves Ah9 hanging. I think QQ also becomes more detestable in the third edition, which annoys me, because it's to justify why YCZ had a change of heart. He becomes a 'fu xin han'.... *sigh*

to me, third editions don't exist. i shall remain blissfully ignorant of these unwanted changes.
    Last edited by LiYuanZhi; 06-24-07 at 11:55 PM. Reason: further clarification
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情