Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Third edition changes

Default Huang Rongs true age.

From an interview with JY:"For example in LOCH, readers pointed out the age discrepancies for Guo Jing and Huang Rong in the first and later portions of the book. Judging from the time Huang Rong was born, Huang Rong is older than Guo Jing but I wrote her to be younger than Guo Jing. Such tiny details can be discovered by readers."

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

If you don't mind, I am going to repost my translation of the Mei Chaofeng and Huang Yaoshi part in this thread again. I don't want this part to fall into oblivion. And Han, sorry I don't do interviews (anymore). I can only tell you this, I am going to wear a white dress in March 2008, a dress that I hope I will only wear once in my lifetime. That's all I wish to disclose about it. [江湖上的事我日後是洗手不幹了。]

1. Ouyang Xiu: A famous and respected northern song statesman and poet (1007 - 1072 AD)
    2. Zhu Dunru, courtesy name Xizhen. A famous poet and imperial official during the Northern and Southern Song dynasty. Lived around Yue Fei's time.
    3. Master Liu in the poem refers to Liu Yuxi. Liu Yuxi was a famous Tang dynasty poet. (772 - 842 AD).

Mei Chaofeng sat on the ground, she used her right hand to pinch Guo Jing's neck. She has been searching for the murderer of her husband for over a decade, suddenly this murderer walks right into her arms. “Is it my thieving husband who guided his killer towards me?”
    Her long hair covered most part of her face, she lifted her head and looked up. If she were not blind she could see the stars, but now there is only darkness. She wanted to stand up, but she could not move the lower part of her body. She thought:” I must have fire deviated, if Master here he could have given me some pointers and my paralysis would be cured in an instant. When I was in Mongolia, I encountered the Seven Masters of Quanzhen. Ma Yu only taught me one line of the internal cultivation formulae, when I asked for more details he refused to say anything more. If it was my Master he would have taught me a thousand, ten thousand lines, I only had to ask. Master, Master, if I were to pull your arm again would you still teach me?
    In an instant she was exhilarated, one moment later she would feel depressed. She was rethinking was has happened in her life.
    I was a naïve young girl, the only thing I did was play the entire day. My parents loved me dearly, I was still called Mei Ruohua at the time. Unfortunately, my parents died and my paternal uncle adopted me. When I was eleven my uncle and aunt sold me for 50 taels of silver to a rich family to be a maid. It was the Jiang family village in the Shangyu district, that rich family was surnamed Jiang. Mr Jiang was quite nice to me, but Madame Jiang was very nasty.
    When I was twelve I was washing the clothes near the well, Mr Jiang approached me and touched my face. He smiled and said:” You’re becoming prettier by the day, you will become a beautiful young woman even before 16.”
    I turned my head around and ignored him, suddenly he reached for my bosom. I was angered and pushed him away. I still had soap on my hands and the soap stuck to his beard and there were bubbles on his beard. I thought it was funny and started to laugh. While I was laughing someone knocked me on the head with a stick. I almost fainted of pain and heard Madame Jiang angrily shouting:” You, little vixen! Trying to seduce men at this age already! I shudder to think what you’ll be like when you grow up!”
    She was cursing and hitting me at the same time. I turned around to run away, but she caught up with me and pulled my hair. She used her stick to hit me on the face and screamed:” You little wretch, I will mutilate your face and scratch your eyes out. We’ll see if you still can become a little seductress.”
    She stretched out her fingers and wanted to gouge out my eye. I was terrified and screamed, I pushed her away with all my might. She fell down and she called out to three other maids to grab me and they dragged me to the kitchen. She put a pair of clamps on the fire and when those pairs of clamps were scalding she shouted:” I am going to burn two holes in your face! And then I am going to burn your eyes, I will turn you into a hideous monster!”
    I begged:” Please Madame! Don’t! I won’t do it again! Please spare me!”
    She held the pair of clamps and was about to poke them into my sockets.
    I did my best to fight back, but I could not move. I closed my eyes and I could feel the heat. Suddenly, the heat disappeared and I heard a loud slapping sound. I could hear a man shouting:” You b*itch! Do you have any sense at all!”
    I could feel that the maids letting their grip go and I struggled to get up. I saw a man in a green robe lifting Madame Jiang by her neck and in one hand he was holding the pair of clamps and was seemingly about to scald Madame Jiang with them. Madame Jiang screamed like a child:” Save me! Save me! There’s a maniac …… about to kill me!”
    Some of the Jiang family workers came over with pitchforks and long wooden rods to help Madame Jiang. However, the man in the green robe easily kicked those servants into the well. Madame Jiang pleaded:” Please spare me, Sir! Sir, please don’t harm me! I will never do it again, Sir!”
    The man in the green robe asked:” Will you bully young maids again the future?”
    Madame Jiang responded:” I wouldn’t dare anymore, Sir! If you don’t believe me, you’re welcome to come back and check, Sir.”
    The man in the green robe scoffed:” I don’t have time to check these trivial matters! I am going to gouge your eyes out first.”
    Madame Jiang begged:” Sir, take this maid with you. We don’t want her anymore, we’re giving her to you, Sir. Please just spare me!”
    The man in the green robe released Madame Jiang and she fell on the floor. She kowtowed and pleaded:” Thank you for sparing me, we will give you this maid. We bought her for 50 taels of silver, we don’t care for the money anymore.”
    The man in the green robe took out a big silver ingot and threw it on the floor, he loudly said:” I don’t need you to give her to me! If I don’t take this girl away you from you, she will suffer a horrible death at your hands! Here is a hundred taels of silver, now give me the contract you signed with her family.”
    Madame Jiang wiped her tears and nose and ran to the inner hall, she returned in a few moments with the contract and she dragged her husband Mr Jiang out too. Mr Jiang’s cheeks were all red and swollen, it would seem that Madame Jiang vented her anger out her anger on her husband.

I kowtowed to the man in the green robe and thanked him for saving me. The man in the green robe was tall and slender, he looked very serious and said to me:” No need to thank me, get up now. From now on you will accompany me.”
    I kowtowed again and said:” From now on I will be at your every command, Sir.”
    The man in the green robe smiled:” I don’t want you to be my servant, from now on you are my disciple.”
    So, from that day onwards I followed Master to the Peach Blossom Isle and became his disciple. My teacher was the lord of the Peach Blossom Isle, Huang Yaoshi.
    He had several disciples, his first disciple was Qu Lingfeng, his second disciple was Chen Xuanfeng and later there were three younger disciples who were a bit younger than me, Lu Chengfeng, Wu Gangfeng and Feng Mofeng.
    Master gave me a new name and my new name was Mei Chaofeng.
    Master taught me martial arts and taught me to read and write. If he was too busy, he would tell eldest martial arts brother to teach on his behalf. Eldest martial arts brother, Qu Lingfeng was well-versed in both the literary and martial arts, he knew how to paint and taught me how to read and understand poetry.
    “Time passed and I was almost 15 years old, I was a Peach Blossom Isle disciple for more than three years now. I had learnt a lot of arts in this time, my body and hair grew and every time when I looked at my reflection in the water I thought I looked quite nice.
    Sometimes, eldest brother Qu would stare at me without realizing it, I would blush when he did that. Eldest brother was 30 years old, twice my age. He was very tall but also very skinny, he looked a bit like Master. Furthermore, his expression resembled Master’s always unhappy. He only smiled or laughed when he was around me. He would tell a few jokes to make me laugh. He would often teach me Master’s calligraphy copies of ancient verses.
    [Gently she descended from the staircase fanning herself, at that time she already caught my attention. Let alone this moment.]
    These few verses were written in Master’s gentle, slender but strong calligraphic style, it was written with a light black ink on a sheet of white paper. Eldest brother Qu put it in front of my writing table. I turned around and saw that he had a strange expression on his face.
    I softly asked:” Was this written by Master?”
    He nodded and put another sheet of paper on top of the other one, again it was same calligraphic style of Master: [The willow trees of the south, although their leaves are not fully grown yet to create a shadow. At the age of 14, 15 she gently held a pipa in her hands, at that time she had already caught my attention, let alone this moment.]
    My face was on fire and my heartbeat increased, I was flustered and wanted to get up and run away.
    Eldest brother Qu said:” Sit down, little sister.”
    I asked again:” Did Master write this poem?”
    Eldest brother Qu replied:” It was written in Master’s calligraphic style, yes. But the author of this poem is Ouyang Xiu, not our Master.”
    I felt relieved and relaxed.
    Eldest brother Qu continued:” According to historical books, Ouyang Xiu was secretly in love with his maternal niece. In this poem he let his emotions flow, he saw his 12, 13 year old niece playing in the main courtyard with a few young maids. She was laughing and running near the well. Ouyang Xiu saw that his niece was beautiful and innocent, cute and gentle, he could not help but to feel something for her. When this niece of his turned 14, 15 she was even more enchanting. At that time, Ouyang Xiu was a 50 odd years old man and he could only sigh and “allowed” her to catch his attention. He wrote this poem, later on other people found out about this poem and there was a huge political turmoil because of this poem. Ouyang Xiu was an important imperial official whose virtue and essays were respected. The imperial censors attacked him viciously and tried to impeach him. But in fact, he just praised his niece for being beautiful and he never did anything lecherous or incestuous. He just wrote a poem, a poem that might be a bit too obvious but that shouldn’t be a big problem. However, why does Master love this poem that much? He held a stack of papers in his left hand, every sheet of paper had the same lines on it.
    Eldest brother Qu asked:” Young sister, do you know why?”
    I shook my head and said:” I don’t know.” He moved a bit closer and asked:” You really don’t know?”
    I shook my head again.
    Eldest brother Qu smiled:” Then, why did you blush?”
    I quickly said:” I am going to tell Master.”
    Suddenly eldest brother Qu turned pale and said:” Young sister, don’t tell our Master! If he finds out, he will break my legs and then who will teach you martial arts.”
    He said this with shaky voice and it seemed that he was terrified. But then again, everyone was afraid of Master, you could not blame him for that.
    I said:” Of course, I won’t tell Master. That would be stupid, he will surely scold us.”
    Eldest brother Qu said:” Master will never scold you, he has never scolded you before since the day you arrived.”
    That was true, in these years Master was always very friendly and nice to me. He never scolded me, not even looked at me angrily. Nevertheless, he would sometimes frown his eyebrows and looked unhappy. I would try to make him happy again:” Master, who has upset you again? Was brother Chen or brother Wu?
    Second brother Chen was crude in his language and would sometimes offend Master. Master would just gently push out his palm and strike brother Chen on the head. Brother Chen’s lightness martial arts were very good, but no matter how hard he tried to evade Master could still strike him gently on the head. A gentle slap and that was it.
    Young brother Wu was very stubborn and would sometimes argue with Master. Master would just ignore him and smile. He would ignore brother Wu for a few days, brother Wu would become frightened and kowtowed for forgiveness. Master would just whisk his sleeve and back flipped brother Wu. Brother Wu would pretend to fall extra hard and Master would laugh heartily and forgive him.
    When Master heard my question he responded:” I am not angry with Xuanfeng or Gangfeng, if it were only that simple. I am angry with myself and heaven.”
    I asked:” Why are you angry with heaven? Can you be angry with heaven? Please teach me, Master.”
    Master would look displeased and said:” I won’t teach you and even I did teach you wouldn’t understand.”
    I would pull his arm and shake it gently and begged:” Please Master, just teach me a little bit. If I don’t understand you can explain and teach more to me to make me understand.”
    Every time I did that I would get what I asked for. Master smiled and walked into his study and brought some sheets of paper. My face turned red and was afraid to look at him, I was even more afraid that [Gently she descended from the staircase fanning herself, at that time she already caught my attention. Let alone this moment.] would be written on those sheets of paper.
    Fortunately, there was another verse written on the paper.
    [Old Heretic Huang’s copy of Zhu Xizhen’s verses
    As people grow older, things are bound to change. I cannot face the flowers and drinks alone. Therefore, the doors are closed and I will leave the plum flowers with the snow.
    Old men cannot recapture the joy of the young. Tired of wine and tedious of music. At dusk there is wind and rain again, outside the pavilion one can hear muffled sounds.
    Master Liu is old and although the peach blossoms are ever the same: welcoming. The howling eastern wind soars through ten thousand lis, the empire is broken and the landscape is illuminated by the setting sun. Events of the ancient are filled with tears of heroes. As the face is starting to grow old and my ever hate of the setting sun in the west, the tides of the night return.]
    I said:” Master, why do you keep saying that you’re old? You’re not old at all. You look very energetic and your martial arts are very good. Those martial arts brothers of mine may be younger, but they are no match for you.”
    Master sighed:” Everyone will grow old sooner or later. Looking at you.....young people makes my hair grow white…..”
    [The mirror high on the hall reflects the sorrow of white hair, in the morning one can see the black silk strands turning white.]
    I said:” Master, please sit down. I will remove that strand of white hair for you.”
    I really pulled a strand of white hair from Master’s hair and showed it to him. He blew that strand high up in the air, Master’s puff of air was formidable. The strand of hair flew out of the window and up in the open air. I clapped my hands and recited:” Shining throughout history with only a mere feather. Master, you excel both in the literary and martial arts. You truly shine through history with only a mere feather.”
    Master smiled and said:” Chaofeng, you always say these things to make me happy. However, a happy day like today won’t repeat itself that easily in the future. Although, I excel in the literary and martial arts, I will grow old and you will grow up too. Sooner or later you will leave me.”
    I pulled Master’s arm and shook it gently again, I said:” Master, I won’t grow up. I will stay with you and devote my life to learning your martial arts. I will stay with you forever.”
    Master smiled sadly:” Words of a child. The verses of Ouyang Xiu’s Calming down the Turmoil described it perfectly: [In front of fine wine, I ask my good companions: What methods are there to retain spring? Even if we could preserve our youth. Nonsense, the heartless flowers face the ever passionate men. Every beautiful flower is bound to wither, throughout history how many fair ladies were able to keep their beauty?” Chaofeng, you will grow up. No matter how profound our internal energy will become by cultivation we can never defeat heaven. If heaven wants us to become old, there is nothing we can do to stop it.”
    I said;” Master, your martial arts level is so high, I will stay with you for the rest of my life to learn your martial arts. I will tend after you for a hundred year….. for two hundred years….”
    Master shook his head and said:” Thank you. I am very happy to hear that you feel like that.”
    [You should cherish spring when she comes this year. One should know that flowers will never stay rouge forever. When you wake from your slumber, you will find that he has left. A thousand petals will flow away with water and wind.]
    I said:” Master, I will not flow away with wind and water. I just want to learn the Mighty Divine Snap.”
    Master laughed heartily:” Haha! You really know how to make me happy again. Tomorrow I will teach you the basics of the Mighty Divine Snap.”
    After a few days, I asked eldest brother Qu:” Why does Master keep referring himself to Old Heretic Huang? I don’t like that name, it sounds awful. Master is only ten more years older than you, he isn’t old and he isn’t heretic.”
    Eldest brother Qu laughed a bit and said:” When Master hears that you don’t find him old and heretic he will be very pleased.”
    He continued with his story: Master’s family came from Zhejiang province, they lived there for generations. They came from a family that had produced Confucian scholars for generations. Master’s ancestor rendered a meritorious service for Emperor Taizu. He was made part of the nobility of our dynasty and for generations Master’s family were important imperial officials. Master’s grandfather was the imperial censor during Emperor Gao’s Shaoxing reign. In that year, the infamous evil prime minister Qin Hui wrongfully accused the loyal general Yue Fei, Master’s grandfather petitioned that Yue Fei was innocent. Both the emperor and Qin Hui were furious and not only did they refuse the memorandum they also demoted him. Master’s grandfather was a righteous man and continued the fight, he was addressing the people and imperial officials that they should stand united to protect Yue Fei. Qin Hui had Master’s grandfather executed and Master’s family exiled to Yunnan. Our Master was born in Yunnan’s Lijiang City. Our master studied the classics when he was young and even learnt martial arts. Ever since he was a child he started to curse the emperor and that he wanted to topple the dynasty. His ambition was to kill the emperor and all the treacherous ministers who were responsible for the deaths of Yue Fei and his grandfather. At that time, Qin Hui was already dead and Emperor Gao was old and demented. Our Master’s father taught him the ways of the virtuous sages of old, loyalty to your ruler and kind to your family. Our Master did not agree with such views and always argued with his father. Everyone in the family scolded our Master for being unfilial. Once in his fury Master’s father disowned him and barred him from returning to the family.
    Master went back to Zhejiang province and did not enter the governmental examinations. In fact he destroyed the academic forum hall of Qingyuan prefecture. He left rebellious essays on the walls of the imperial palace, the residence of the prime minister, ministry of military affairs. He even left a rebellious pamphlet on the Southern Confucius Family Temple in Quzhou, in the pamphlet he criticized the ancient virtues, sages and the present worthless government. He pressed for abandoning the unfair peace treaty with Jurchens and we should devote our country’s resources to plan to retake our lost territories. The government sent out numerous officials out to track down our Master, at that time our Master’s martial arts were already exceptional and nobody could catch him.
    From then onwards, our Master became famous, he attacked the virtues and sages of old and he also vehemently criticized the government. He was utterly fearless and spoke the words that the normal people were too afraid to say out loud. So, our Master got the nickname, the strange heretic hero.
    Eldest brother Qu continued:” A few years ago, the entire martial arts realm was in turmoil because of the Jiuyin scriptures. The scriptures drew the attention of all the martial artists in the realm and a lot of people died. The founding patriarch of the Quanzhen School, Master Chongyang invited the top martial arts masters of that time to Mount Hua for a duel. This was known as the Sword Meet at Mount Hua.
    The procedure was simple the person with the highest martial arts would get the Jiuyin scriptures and the dispute would be settled. So that balance in the realm could be restored. Only five people entered this tournament, they were known as: East Heretic, West Venom, South Emperor, North Beggar and Central Divinity. East Heretic is our Master, people call him Old Heretic Huang. Central Divinity is Master Chongyang. The outcome of the tournament was that East Heretic, West Venom, South Emperor and North Beggar lost to Central Divinity and they wholeheartedly agreed that Central Divinity was number one.”
    I asked:” Eldest brother, what are those Jiuyin Scriptures? Our Master’s skills are incredibly high, how is it possible that this Central Divinity was able to defeat him?”
    Eldest brother Qu answered:” I have heard that the Jiuyin scriptures contain the finest and most powerful martial arts skills of all the styles in the world and the ways to practice them. Anyone who has the scriptures can just study it and become invincible. Fortunately, Master Chongyang already was the number one martial arts master, with the scriptures in his possession he will just remain number one in the world. Furthermore, he was known to be a fair and righteous man who would never use his skills to do evil. Everyone was glad and happy with the outcome of the Mount Hua Tournament and everyone accepted the result. Little sister, the way of martial arts is to accept that there is always someone who could best you. In our eyes, our Master’s martial arts are exceptionally high and seemingly invincible, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t any people who could best our Master.”

Master’s quote turned out to be accurate [When you wake from your slumber, you will find that he has left. A thousand petals will flow away with water and wind.] When Master woke up I was already gone. I left with second martial arts brother, Chen Xuanfeng. Second martial arts brother had big eyes and thick eyebrows, he was also very muscular and he was two years older than me. He hardly spoke to me, he would just silently stare at me, which made me blush. I would turn around and leave. Whenever the peaches have ripened on our isle, he often would pluck the best looking one and put it on my desk and leave my room without telling me. Eldest brother Qu was ten odd years older than me. Younger brother Lu was two years younger than me, and martial arts brother Wu and Feng were even younger. In my eyes they were just children. On the entire isle only second martial arts brother was around my age, he was quite crude in his language. Once he pulled my hand and said:” My thieving sister, let’s steal some peaches.”
    I was angered and pulled my hand away and I said:” What did you call me?”
    I said:” We’re going to steal peaches, we’re thieves. That’s why you are my thieving sister.”
    I retorted:” How about you?” He replied:” I am the thieving brother.”
    I loudly said:” Thieving brother.”
    He answered:” Yes, both the thieving brother is going to steal the thieving sister.”
    I ignored him but I had a sweet feeling when he said that.
    That night, he took me to steal peaches, we stole a lot of them. We put our loot in my room, in the dark he hugged me. I tried to resist but I felt weak allover. He whispered in my ears:” Thieving sister, I want you to follow me for the rest of your life. We will never part with each other.”

Mei Chaofeng blushed and Guo Jing heard her panting even heavier now. Suddenly she sighed softly, her sigh sounded very gentle and her grip on Guo Jing loosened.
    Mei Chaofeng softly said:” Why? Why? Why did Master have to break the legs of eldest brother Qu? Why did he disown him too?”
    She has captured her husband’s murderer the two of them were sitting outside the cave quietly. She was reminiscing her past.
    Eldest brother Qu always looked at me with a gentle expression, I was eighteen years old. I understood the meaning of his gentle look. He was a widower, he had young daughter. I was at that time in love with my thieving martial arts brother. I just avoided eldest brother Qu’s eyes. One night, when my thieving brother was in my room he was carrying me to my bed, there was a loud shout from outside the window:” Chen Xuanfeng! You bastard! Come out now!”
    It was eldest brother Qu. Thieving brother put his clothes on and went outside. I could hear whooshing sounds and I knew that eldest brother Qu was fighting him. I was scared out of my mind and begged:” Eldest brother, I am sorry. Please forgive us.”
    Eldest brother Qu coldly replied:” Forgive you? Who wrote [At that time she already caught my attention. Let alone this moment.]? Even if I forgave you, Master wouldn’t!”
    There was a kracking noise, it seemed someone was struck heavily by a palm.
    Elder brother Chen shouted:” You really want to kill me?”
    Eldest brother Qu replied:” Of course! Little sister Mei, you promised to study and stay with our Master for the rest of your life. How dare you lie to him!”
    Elder brother Chen shouted back:” Even Master has no right to interfere, let alone you. You’re not being meddlesome, you’re just jealous. You’re without shame!”
    I looked out from the window, I saw two shadows moving about very quickly and fighting each other. My martial arts weren’t that good yet, so I couldn’t see clearly.
    There was another loud cracking sound and I saw elder brother Chen fly up into the sky and fall down. Eldest brother Qu said:” I am not jealous, I am just punishing you on behalf of our Master. I am going to kill you, you’re an ungrateful bastard.”
    I leapt through the window and lay down on elder brother Chen’s body and screamed:” Please don’t kill him! Please don’t kill him!”
    Eldest brother Qu sighed, he turned around and left.
    The next day Master called the three of us, I was terrified and I was afraid to look at Master. But when I did look I saw that Master looked very sad, like he was about to cry.
    He just asked:” Why? Why?”
    Elder brother Chen replied:” Eldest brother Qu is jealous that little sister Mei and I are in love. That’s why he wanted to kill me.”
    Master sighed:” Lingfeng, life is like that. You can’t change fate.”
    He kept shaking his head. I cried out and knelt before Master and said:” Master, it’s my fault. Don’t punish eldest martial arts brother.”
    Master said:” Lingfeng, why did you quote [Let alone this moment.]? Why did you rebuke Chaofeng for lying to me? You said that she promised to stay with me for the rest of her life and she failed to do so. You were eavesdropping on our conversations! Did you really think that old Heretic Huang would not know that someone was eavesdropping on me? Haha! You really have a low opinion of me, don’t you? Why do you need to punish people on my behalf? Can’t I do it myself anymore? I never ordered you to hit anyone! If I did, that means that I was jealous! Xuanfeng and Chaofeng, leave us!”
    With that Master used a wooden rod to break the legs of martial arts brother Qu.
    He announced to the rest of us:” Qu Lingfeng failed to abide by the rules of our style, from now onwards he is no longer a disciple of the Peach Blossom Isle.”
    Master ordered the mute and deaf servants to take eldest brother Qu to Linan (present Hangzhou).
    From that day onwards Master never spoke to elder brother Chen and me anymore, he even stopped teaching us martial arts. Soon after that incident, Master left the isle to visit Qingyuan prefecture and Linan. Two years later, Master returned with a Shimu. Shimu was young and was of the same age as I was. Both of us were born in the year of the monkey. She was beautiful and very white, it was not surprising that Master loved her that much. They would often go out together. Shimu did not know any martial arts, but she was well-versed in the literary arts.
    During a Mid-Autumn Festival, Shimu prepared a number of dishes and wine and she invited all the disciples to celebrate the festival together. Master drank a lot and Shimu was preparing soup in the kitchen. Master mutter in his drunk state:” Who will now say that old Heretic Huang wants his female disciple to be his wife! Such nonsense! Where is Lingfeng? I don’t blame him anymore, how is he doing? I hope he is fine. How are his legs?”
    Shimu was even a few months younger than me, she was born in the tenth month. She was very nice to me, on a particular day she told:” Your Master always praises you for being good and filial. He also told me about your sad past, he asked me to take good care of you. Your Master doesn’t understand how girls think, he looked after you ever since you were a child. He never understood a lot of matters, he is sorry for that. From now on, you can talk to me and tell me what you want.”
    I cried when I heard that, I said:” Master has always been very good to me. We are very happy for him to see Shimu being his wife.”
    Shimu said:” On our latest trip we obtained a extraordinary manual called the Jiuyin scriptures. With your Master’s martial arts level it isn’t that special. But there are some pages full of some sort of strange language that doesn’t make any sense at all. Your Master is very ambitious and loves to solve puzzles. So, the two of use have been examining those strange pages and haven’t found a way to decipher it yet. That’s why he hasn’t have the time to teach all of you martial arts.”

Shimu pointed at those two manuals on the desk and said:” Those are the copies of the Jiuyin scriptures. In my opinion the martial arts of the Peach Blossom Isle are already magnificent and all- powerful, I don’t see the need to study the martial arts of other people. (Sigh*) Martial artists are like that, if they see a new technique they must analyze it. In a way it is no different from us when we see a new poem with marvellous verses, we must memorize it.”
    I told what Shimu had said to my thieving brother. He said:” During the Mid-Autumn Festival Master revealed his feelings. He still seems to care for eldest brother Qu. I think there is a chance that Master will forgive eldest brother and allow him to return the isle. If that happens, I am doomed. We really have to be thieves this time, we have to steal the Jiuyin scriptures and learnt its martial arts. After mastering it we will return it to Master by that time we shouldn’t even fear Master and certainly not eldest brother.”
    I opposed this plan and said I would report this to Master. My thieving brother was really bold, that very night he was determined to steal the scriptures.
    For days now Master has been very pensive. It does not look like he was thinking of composing new poems or lyrics. His two fingers would move about from time to time. I told this to elder brother Chen, he said that Master must be thinking and analyzing the martial arts of the Jiuyin scriptures. That is why he has not taught any of us martial arts or even spoken to us. I saw that Master’s hair was gradually turning white and felt sad. Elder Brother Chen said that he saw Master holding a copy of the manual and walking to the Sword Testing Pavilion and was mumbling something. Elder brother approached Master and said:” Master.” But Master seemed not to have heard him and just kept walking.
    Elder brother Chen moved aside and snuck into the study of Master. He saw one volume on the desk and Master was holding one in his hands. The only reason why elder brother Chen was able to steal the volume was because Master was contemplating on the contents of the scripture.
    He wanted to steal the other volume too. I disagreed vehemently, I said that stealing one was already an unforgivable crime. If we steal another the other one too, we are just scum. I told him that Master has always treated us very well, we should show at least show some gratitude. My thieving brother said:” He treated you well. He never treated me well.”
    I said:” If you try to steal the other volume, I will go Masters’ study and shout:[Someone is trying to steal the Jiuyin scriptures! Master! Master!”
    When she thought of this part, she could not help softly saying:” Someone is trying to steal the Jiuyin scriptures! Master! Master!”
    Guo Jing was startled and asked:” Steal what? The Jiuyin scriptures?”
    Mei Chaofeng laughed a bit and said:” Nothing, I just remembered something.”
    There was a strong scent of the Plum flowers in the courtyard, it made her think of the Peach Blossom Isle.
    Thieving brother was terrified and that night the two of us left the Peach Blossom Isle. We went to Pudu Mountain and hid in a cave near the sea. For days we flipped through the manual and pondered on it. I saw the characters and recognized it was Shimu’s handwriting. Thieving brother said:” We should make another copy and return the original to Master. But how should we return it?”
    I said:” Going back to the Peach Blossom Isle.”
    Thieving brother said:” Going back? My little thieving sister, do you dare to go back?”
    We could not stay at Pudu Mountain too long, it was still too close to Peach Blossom Isle. Another month passed and we took a boat to the Central Plains. We hid at various places, Qingyuan, Shangyu, Baiguan, Yuyao for several months. We even fled to Linan, Jiaxing, Huzhou, Suzhou, there were a lot of small rivers, waterways, little villages and so on. We hid on the boat day and night, no one could find us that way.
    Thieving brother and me went through the manual together. It contained a lot of different lethal martial arts. The first one was the Jiuyin White Bone Claws and the Heart Snapping Palm. The scripture had detailed instructions on how to learn and to overcome this two arts. It was stated in the manual: [These two skills do not require internal strength as a foundation, they are just external skills. My younger brother and sister were both killed by these two arts. After mastering these skills killing people becomes a mere technicality.]
    Both us were extremely happy and started to learn these two skills. In order to learn these skills you needed to use living people to practise with. I suggested to using Madame Jiang of the Shangyu Jiang Village first. So went there and started to practise on Madame Jiang and soon everyone in the village young and old, male and female became mere skeletons.
    I remembered that Master saved me here and felt sad. Thieving brother asked me what was wrong and when I told him he became jealous and said that I should not think of Master anymore.
    When we wanted to move on, we realised that the other skills required a solid internal energy level as foundation. The problem was how to acquire internal energy and the cultivation formulae were all in the first volume. All the skills were Taoist related, they were totally different from what Master taught us. We could not advance anymore.
    Thieving brother said:” We will keep trying and hope springs eternal.”
    So, he tried to come up with his own way to study the skills in the manual, he told me to follow his lead. He studied palm styles and instructed a blacksmith to make me a long metal whip, it was made for me so that I could learn the White Serpent Whip technique. He said that he never gave me a proper wedding gift and so he gave me an expensive silver whip. Haha! We were quite rich at that time, with our level in martial arts it was very easy to steal money from rich families and imperial institutions.
    The wind blow through the hair of Mei Chaofeng, she lifted her head and asked:” Can you see the stars?”
    Guo Jing replied:” Yes.”
    Mei Chaofeng asked:” Can you see the Milky Way?”
    Guo Jing said:” Yes, I can.”
    Mei Chaofeng asked:” Can you see the Cowherd Star (Altair) and the Weaver Girl Star (Vega)?
    Guo Jing answered:” Yes.”
    Mei Chaofeng asked:” Can you see the Big Dipper?”
    Guo Jing replied:” I don’t know what that is.”
    Mei Chaofeng said:” Stupid boy! Look to the north and spot seven bright stars in a cluster, that is the Big Dipper.”
    Guo Jing did as instructed and indeed saw seven bright stars in a cluster and happily said:” Yes, I can see it now.”
    Mei Chaofeng asked:” What does Seven Star Assembly mean?”
    Guo Jing said:” I don’t know.”
    Mei Chaofeng tightened her grip and asked sinisterly:” Didn’t Ma Yu teach you?”
    Guo Jing said:” No, reverend Ma only taught me how to lie down and how to inhale and exhale.”
    Mei Chaofeng asked:” How do you inhale and exhale?”
    Guo Jing said:” When I inhale my abdomen expands and when I exhale my abdomen contract.”
    Mei Chaofeng tried it and thought:” This is opposite to our cultivation technique, it must be Taoist based.”

The second volume of the Jiuyin scriptures just contain various skills, thieving brother could not advance. He wanted to steal the other volume. I said going back to Peach Blossom Isle was good a good idea, we could return the stolen volume to Master and Shimu.
    Thieving brother said:” We haven’t mastered the arts in the second volume yet. There are footnotes for some arts stating [Five years time needed to master], [Seven years time needed to master] and even [Ten years time needed to understand the basics]. We can’t be bothered with that, for skills like the Jiuyin Bone Claws, Heart Snapping Palms and White Serpent Whip we don’t need the first volume. How is your White Serpent Whip coming along?”
    I said:” It’s getting there, I can’t use it now. Give me one more year.”
    Because we used living people to practise our skills on, we upset a group of so-called orthodox martial artists who claim to be heroic and chivalrous. They kept attacking the two of us, we kept on mastering our skills and we were very diligent. We killed a lot of those attackers, but our situation was becoming more and more unfavourable. We fled and hid. They kept saying that we should not slaughter innocent people to learn those horrible vicious arts. Most likely they just wanted to steal the manual from us.
    Just by using the martial arts of the Peach Blossom Isle we were able to kill and defeat those fools easily. They called us the Black Wind Demons, what a horrible name. We should be called the Peach Blossom Demons. We made more enemies and our adversaries became stronger and stronger, our fame rose but we gradually could not cope with those odds anymore.
    We spent two years in fear, I often wondered during that time why did we steal that manual. We should have stayed on the isle in peace. But my affair with brother Chen was exposed, how could we stay on the isle and face Master. We were also afraid to face eldest brother Qu.
    Later on we head that Master was furious when he found out that we stole the manual. Younger martial arts brother Lu and Wu were not careful in their words when they urged Master to calm down. As result of their poor choice of words, Master in his fury broke their legs and disowned them. Youngest brother Feng said:” Only elder martial arts brother Chen and elder martial arts sister Mei have betrayed Master. The rest of us are loyal to you, Master should not vent your anger on us and break the legs of elder martial arts brothers Qu, Lu and Wu.”
    Master angrily roared:” So what? I will break your leg too! I spent so much time and energy to teach all of you martial arts! In the end all of you betray me! Old Heretic Huang might as well die!”
    With a wooden rod he broke the leg of youngest martial arts brother Feng.
    All remaining three martial arts brothers were exiled from the isle. Word spread of what happened, everyone in the realm was talking about it. Everyone said that old Heretic Huang lives up to his heretic reputation. When I heard that Master said: [Old Heretic Huang might as well die!]
    My heart was torn and I wanted to kneel in front of Master and Shimu and beg them to execute me for my crimes. That is why when elder brother Chen suggested to go back to Peach Blossom Isle I did not object, I wanted to see Master again.
    Thieving brother said that those so-called heroes are chasing and tracking us, sooner or later Master will get wind of this and when Master comes we will be dead. The only chance we have is to steal the first volume and run off to Mongolia or Xixia, farther the better. No one can find us then, I agreed with him and the two of us took the risk. If we did not take this risk we would end up dead sooner or later, I rather die at the hands of Master.
    We arrived at Peach Blossom Isle in the night, when we passed the main hall we heard Master arguing with someone. Master said:” Brother Botong, I did not take your scripture. How can I return it?”
    I heard that Master’s tone was not very polite the two of use peeped through the window and saw Master talking to a middle-aged man with a long beard. He looked a bit older than Master. The man with the long beard was not angry and grinned:” Old Heretic Huang, all your actions are strange and heretic. Why should I believe you?”
    Master said:” My heretic views are related to traditional Confucian values, I do not respect the so-called ancient virtues and concepts as loyalty to one’s emperor. However, I truthfully uphold concepts like courtesy, respect, righteousness, sense of honour. I never stole your scriptures and even if I did with my knowledge I wouldn’t even stoop myself to learning those foul martial arts of your foul Quanzhen School scriptures.
    The man with the long beard laughed:” Foul or fair is very easy to determine. A duel will settle it. Old Heretic Huang, let’s rumble for the sake of determining whether you’ve learnt the skills in the Jiuyin scriptures or not.”
    He stood up and waited till Master left his seat and attacked with his left fist. Master counter-attacked with a stance from the Peach Blossom Descending Petal Palms. The two of them were engaged in combat, we saw that two flashes moving with extreme speed. I looked at thieving brother and he looked at me, both of us stuck our tongues out. We have never seen such brilliant martial arts before.
    He pulled his sleeve and made a gesture, I thought this was a great opportunity. Master is being distracted by a powerful expert this is our chance to steal the first volume. Shimu does not know any martial arts we will not harm her nor scare her. I just want to kowtow three times to her to thank her for everything and take the scriptures and leave.
    However, thieving brother was too dazzled and would not leave. Later on when we left the isle he told me that he wanted to see what kind of skills of the Jiuyin scriptures Master would use against that Quanzhen expert with the long beard. Even if Master never learnt it, there is a good chance that the Quanzhen expert has. This was the best opportunity to see those skills in action, learning it this way is better than just reading the theory.
    He would not move, so I was afraid to go alone. I peeped through the window and saw that Master’s movements looked like he was gliding over water, only avoiding and not retaliating. That Botong’s techniques were out of the ordinary too, strange and unconventional. When Master glided near the windows, that Quanzhen expert blasted out with his left palm and Master ducked. The palm blast opened the window and I quickly moved aside. Master looked over and saw my long hair, he was shocked and exclaimed with surprise:” Chaofeng!”
    That Quanzhen expert’s right palm struck out at this time, Master seemingly could not avoid it and was hit on the shoulder. He staggered back and he almost knelt over, suddenly his two fingers snapped out and there were two soft taps. The Quanzhen expert was hit on the legs by the Mighty Divine Snap and rolled over and could not get up anymore.
    Master laughed:” Haha! Chaofeng, even without learning Jiuyin I could defeat him. I only used my Mighty Divine Snap. What are you doing here?”
    I leapt up and knelt in front of Master and cried:” I am so sorry, Master. I came to see you and Shimu.”
    Master sadly said:” Your Shimu has passed away. The memorial shrine is in the back.”
    He pointed to the back and I was shocked and startled beyond my mind. I ran to the back and saw the inner hall was set up as a shrine. There was a memorial tablet on it was written: [My late wife maiden name Feng], I knelt down and wept. I saw a little girl sitting next to the memorial shrine, she was about one or two years old. She sat in a chair and was smiling at me, she looked a lot like Shimu. She must be her daughter, did Shimu die during childbirth?
    Master was standing behind me, I heard the little girl giggle:” Father, hold me.” Her smile was adorable and she stretched out her little arms and was about to throw herself into Master’s arms.
    Master was afraid that she would fall and quickly moved over to lift her up. Elder brother Chen quickly pulled me up and ran out with me, he headed for the boat and quickly left. My heart was beating so fast and we heard Master’s voice from afar:” You can go now. The two of you should take good care of yourselves. Don’t learn the martial arts in the Jiuyin scriptures anymore. Just take good care of yourselves.”
    Thieving brother and me were both disillusioned after seeing Master’s battle with that Quanzhen expert. He said:” We haven’t reached ten percent of Master’s martial arts level. Even the two of us combined we are not even a match for that Quanzhen expert.”
    I asked:” Do you regret that we left? If we stayed with Master, we are bound to learn all his skills.”
    He replied:” If you don’t have regrets, I won’t have any either.”
    From then onwards he started to come up with his own way again to continue his study in the Jiuyin scriptures. He told me to follow his lead and commented that although this method is wrong but it should produce some formidable results. I said:” Master told us to stop studying the skills in the Jiuyin manual.”
    Thieving brother said:” With Master’s martial arts he doesn’t need too. But what about us? We have no choice.”
    We mastered styles like the Iron Cloth and the Golden Bell to a good seventy, eight percent and we roamed the realm. The fame of the Black Wind Demons rose. On a particular day while we were practising our Heart Snapping Palm in an abandoned temple, we were attacked from all sides by a group of different martial arts experts. The leader of this group was our younger martial arts brother Lu Chengfeng. He was angry that we were the cause of him being expelled and for his broken legs. He invited a large group of experts to capture us and bring us back to Master. That little runt wanted to become a disciple of the Peach Blossom Isle again. Capturing the Black Wind Demons is not an easy task, we killed seven, eight adversaries and escaped. But I was heavily injured, that Flying Divine Dragon Ke Pixie was killed in this battle. I can’t remember whether it was me who killed him or thieving brother. It does not matter.
    After a few months, we realised that we were being secretly followed by Taoist priests of the Quanzhen School. We knew that we were no match for them and made too many enemies, we decided to leave the Central Plains and go north and reached Mongolia.
    We continued practising the Jiuyin White Bone Claws, Heart Snapping Palms and sometimes we would practise the White Serpent Whip. Thieving brother said that these were shortcut external special skills, which do not require internal energy as a foundation.
    Who would have guessed that we would encounter the Seven Freaks of Jiangnan, they surrounded and…… [I am blind! I am blind!] I was in pain and the wound was itching and numbing. The more horrifying part was I could not see anything. I generated internal strength to counter the poison, I crawled on the ground and almost passed out. I did not die, but I was blind. Thieving brother died, retribution. That blind Ke Zhen’E! We killed his brother and he avenged his brother. Retribution!
    When Mei Chaofeng was thinking about this part she tightened her grip again and gritted her teeth. Guo Jing’s left wrist felt it was about to break off and thought:” I am going to die. Heaven knows what kind of lethal torture she will subject me to.”
    Guo Jing asked:” I don’t care about my life. I just want you to promise me something. I hope you can help me.”
    Mei Chaofeng coldly said:” You want a favour from me?”
    Guo Jing said:” Yes, I have some medicinal herbs on me. I beg of you to take these herbs to the Tranquil Abode Inn at West City and give it to reverend Wang.”
    Mei Chaofeng did not answer and did not turn around. Guo Jing said:” So, you will help me. Thank you!”
    Mei Chaofeng said” Don’t thank me yet! I have never done a good deed in my life.”
    She could not remember the pain and suffering she endured in her life, neither could she remember the number of people she killed. But she could clearly remember that terrible fight in Mongolia.
    “My eyes went dark, I could not see the stars arnymore. My sweet thieving brother said:” Little sister, I can’t take care you anymore. Take care……”
    Those were his last words. Why should I take care of myself when he is gone.
    Before he died he stuffed the manual in my hands, I sighed and thought I am blind I cannot read it anyways. I put the manual in my robe, one day I will give it back to Master.
    Heavy rain poured, the Seven Freaks of Jiangnan attacked me aggressively. I suffered from a palm attack in the back, the wielder of this palm attack had strong internal strength. The pain almost overwhelmed me, I lifted up thieving brother’s body and escaped as fast as I could. I could not see anymore, but they did not pursue. It was a heavy rainstorm, everything around me was black.
    I ran in the rain and my thieving brother’s body which was warm in the beginning gradually turned cold. My body turned cold too, I was shaking and I was cold. “Thieving brother, are you really dead? You have great martial arts, how can you die just like that? Who killed you?”
    I pulled out the short blade and blood spew from the wound, I should not be surprised. I have killed before, I should have known that.
    “ I should die with thieving brother. No one calls him thieving brother anymore, he must feel lonely down there.”
    The tip of the sword reached the backside of the tongue, that is where are our weak points are.
    I felt that there were characters engraved on the blade, it said Yang Kang. So, the murderer of my thieving brother was someone named Yang Kang. How can I not avenge thieving brother? I cannot die before Yang Kang dies first.

She sighed deeply when she thought of the death of her husband. “ Everything was lost. Thieving brother are you thinking of me? If you have found a new ghost wife I will never forgive you…..”

I dug a hole in the desert and buried my thieving brother. I was blind and had great difficulty in finding food, I had no choice but to beg for food. Fortunately, Mongolian people were very benevolent and saw that I was a poor blind woman and gave me milk, meat and bread. I lived in Mongolia under those dire circumstances for several years. Once, I was practising martial arts in a cave I heard a large group of men and horses pass by. I went out and begged for some food, the leader of the troops was a prince. The prince allowed me to travel with his troops and let me stay in his residence. Later on, I found out he was the Prince of Zhao, the sixth prince of the Jurcen empire, I became a simple servant cleaning the courtyard. I found a underground cellar for me to study my martial arts. Every night I would practise there without being spotted. Everyone thought I was just a blind and poor woman.
    A few years passed and that naughty little prince was looking for birds’ eggs in the night. He did not make any sounds and I could not hear him. He saw me practising my whip and begged me to teach him. I taught him three stances and he immediately grasped it. He was very clever, and I began liking to teach him. I taught everything: Jiuyin White Bone Claws, Heart Snapping palms. I made him vow he would never reveal to anyone that I taught him martial arts, he could not tell the Prince of Zhao and the Prince Consort. If he did I would use my claws on his head, the little prince learnt other martial arts too and those arts were quite formidable. He said:” Master, I have another male teacher but he’s a bad man. I don’t like him. I just like you. I will never reveal your martial arts to him. He is much weaker than you and his arts are useless anyways.”
    That little prince really knew how to flatter people, but his male teacher was certainly not a weakling. I never bothered to find out who his other teacher was. I did not want anyone to know that I was teaching the little prince too.
    After another few years, the little prince told me that his father was going to Mongolia. I begged the Prince of Zhao to take me with him, so that I could pay my respects to my late husband. The little prince asked on my behalf and the Prince of Zhao agreed without hesitation. The Prince of Zhao loves his son and will do anything to please his little prince. Paying respects to my thieving brother was not the most important thing, killing the Seven Freaks was. (Sigh*) Luck was not on my side, the Seven Masters of Quanzhen were in Mongolia too. I cannot see, how could I stand a chance against the seven of them. That Danyang Zi, Ma Yu had very impressive internal energy, he did not use any force in his speech but his voice travelled very far.
    Last edited by Athena; 07-28-07 at 01:12 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    If you don't mind, I am going to repost my translation of the Mei Chaofeng and Huang Yaoshi part in this thread again. I don't want this part to fall into oblivion. And Han, sorry I don't do interviews (anymore). I can only tell you this, I am going to wear a white dress in March 2008, a dress that I hope I will only wear once in my lifetime. That's all I wish to disclose about it. [江湖上的事我日後是洗手不幹了。]
    Congrats.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Congratulations Athena.
    All the very best to you and ...

Thor

what the...?? I'm confused...
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Congrats big time Athena. Looks like Mount Olympus will have a fun time. Forever thankful for you starting the JDSJ translation thread. The reason I signed up for this forum in the first place.

"When Master glided near the windows, that Quanzhen expert blasted out with his left palm and Master ducked. The palm blast opened the window and I quickly moved aside."

"He staggered back and he almost knelt over, suddenly his two fingers snapped out and there were two soft taps. The Quanzhen expert was hit on the legs by the Mighty Divine Snap and rolled over and could not get up anymore."

These 2 parts caught my attention. Did the books say that HYS had physical contact with ZBT on the snaps or was it mid air finger energy?
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Hi everybody, thanks ya all, esp Athena for an interesting thread about the changes in the 3rd edi.s. But are they the final changes or not? some days ago i read a newspaper (not in Chinese certainly) which said that Jin yong had revised his novels one more time. in these 4th editions of the novels, which are due to be published in the early of Nov 2007, Huang yaoShi falls in love with mei Chaofeng, Duanyu leaves wang Yuyan or vice versa (well the newspaper didn't say exactly who dumps whom but they don't end up together anyway), Zhang wuJi has 4 wives instead of only 2 including zhaoMin n Zuo Zhirou as in the 3rd edition of heavenly sword dragon slaying saber, some more details about the first time YangGuo met Xiao longNv are added, huang Rong is older than Guo Jing,...
    Anyone who has some information about this shares with me pls.
    thanks a bunch.

WHAT? JY may be revising his novels AGAIN?? Isn't 3 times already a lot?? I think he should concentrate on writing some new novels instead of revising his old ones over and over again.... I guess he is afraid that if he writes a new novel that it will not be well received as most of his old ones...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by NY152 View Post
    Hi everybody, thanks ya all, esp Athena for an interesting thread about the changes in the 3rd edi.s. But are they the final changes or not? some days ago i read a newspaper (not in Chinese certainly) which said that Jin yong had revised his novels one more time. in these 4th editions of the novels, which are due to be published in the early of Nov 2007, Huang yaoShi falls in love with mei Chaofeng, Duanyu leaves wang Yuyan or vice versa (well the newspaper didn't say exactly who dumps whom but they don't end up together anyway), Zhang wuJi has 4 wives instead of only 2 including zhaoMin n Zuo Zhirou as in the 3rd edition of heavenly sword dragon slaying saber, some more details about the first time YangGuo met Xiao longNv are added, huang Rong is older than Guo Jing,...
    Anyone who has some information about this shares with me pls.
    thanks a bunch.
    Could you give us the source of this information (the newspaper)?
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Ok, here is the link to the article on the Huashang Daily's website:
    http://news.huash.com/2007-10/02/content_6599712.htm

Thats F*cked up!!

Like the article said...if he has so much energy to change things, why not write a new novel....

Hopefully its fake news.

QF

He is NOT editing again. The new revised novels have only been published in traditional Chinese script, the revised novels will also be published in simplified Chinese.
    The man is not editing again. No need to panic.
    And all we need of hell.

He is NOT editing again. The new revised novels have only been published in traditional Chinese script, the revised novels will also be published in simplified Chinese.
    Whew! 'wipes brow'

Congrats Athena,

Also your fame has spread far: I've seen your summaries of the changes to the third edition translated into Vietnamese and posted at various other forums.
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Actually he is.

I saw a CCTV interview with Jin Yong in July 07 in which he plans a fourth edition, and works on it will start sometime in 2008.

This is the only source of it though, haven't seen it confirmed by others.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Actually he is.

I saw a CCTV interview with Jin Yong in July 07 in which he plans a fourth edition, and works on it will start sometime in 2008.

This is the only source of it though, haven't seen it confirmed by others.

Han Solo
    At this rate Jinlun Fawang [Guoshi] will become a saint!!!!

Jinlun Fawang might change his nationality again.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Thanks Levendis d'orange.

I heard from an aunt in Taiwan that Jin Yong did mention that he was hoping to filter out some mistakes that he made in his latest revision.
    Whether he is going to do it is a different matter and or up to it is debatable. For instance, Murong Bo's wife: is she dead or not? How many Shaolin ultimate arts does Jiumozhi really know, 40 or all 72? How could Yuanzhen kill Madame Shi with his Imaginary Yin Finger when it was nullified by Zhang Wuji chapters earlier? And so on.

Most likely that is what Jin Yong meant in that interview (I think).
    My aunt's son works at Ylib publishings Taiwan, one of main publishers of Jin Yong's books. I'm not sure whether this is reliable.
    And all we need of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    Jinlun Fawang might change his nationality again.
    Yeah. This time, he's going to be Canadian.