Thread: Released VCD/DVD Questions

I think some other websites were mentioned in the threads below:

http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=5887
    http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=606691
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Default english-subbed wuxia DVDs

As the topic says, I have been looking for a english subbed wuxia series DVD set. This is a gift for a friend who has limited knowledge of Chinese. I want to start him on some good wuxia series and would have no problem getting one if it doesn't have to have english subtitles. I figured the SPCnet community would probably know the availability of the various eng-subbed wuxia series and would kindly give me some recommendations.

So far, I know of only the ROCH'06 which is available with eng subs from YesAsia and released by Taiseng (is this set good??), but would like to know if others have any other titles to recommend.

Thanks a lot. Also, if you know of a good place to get reasonably-priced dvd sets in So-Cal area, let me know as well.

cococrust

"Xiao Ao Jiang Hu" has English subs, just search of "Laughing in the Wind". The subs are pretty good in the beginning, worse near the end but it's still understandable.

Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre 03 - alec su, alyssa chia, gao yuan yuan - ok subs

Heaven Dragon - 8th Episode (Tian Long Ba Bu) - liu yi fei, jimmy lin, and a bunch of others - good subs

search on ebay.
    ---------
    Shellie

TVB Legend of the Condor heroes and Return of the condor heroes from the 80s are also englished subbed

wind and cloud 2 is also available

chinese paladin
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Default Cantonese dub wuxia DVDs

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could make any suggestions about some good wuxia series thats been dubbed in cantonese that I can buy? I've recently purchased ROCH from Best Buy of all places for a surprisingly good price and I very much enjoyed this series. It has actually rekindled my love of wuxia and it seems like its the only thing I have on my mind.

My questions are:

What are some good cantonese dubbed wuxia series available on DVD that I can buy? I plan on buying Chinese Paladin, but I'm at a loss as to what else I should get.

Also, I plan on buying this version of Tian Long Ba Bu http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004057876/ ,but the mandarin-only version I have which I also got from yesasia and from the same publisher (world video) had really poor video quality. Does anyone know whether or not the Canto version of TLBB have better video quality?

Thanks in to everyone in advance.

There are litteraly hundreds of subbed wuxia movie titles. Hit something online like edaymovie dot com or one of the 5 or 6 others out there. Series I know of only about 80 or so in chinese. another half dozen korean, etc. All subbed.

If you are ONLY looking for a series, ROCH06 isn't a bad place to start. Seeing as they have it now at Best Buy and other large US retailers. But you may find that many of the better series, though subbed in english, are Region 3 dvds. My player can play them fine (as I hacked the firmware myself) but 99.9% of US ones cannot. A player that can is not expensive though. $40-$200us depending on model.

I find things like the new releases of Shaw Bros. movies in a small box set make EXCELLENT gifts for my action movie loving friends (who go on to curse me for the $$$ they go on to spend on more wuxia movies ) and others. For more modern stuff I had been getting imports of Fist of Legend until the US copyright holder cracked down on importers (dubs for the loss )

YMMV

strangely, i dont see the heaven dragon - eight episode with eng subs anywhere, not even on eBay. Does anyone know where I can get it? my 2nd option would probably be ROCH'06. Thanks iceweazel for the link, I will check it out.

Default Hong Lou Meng / English subtitles

Hi, does anyone know where I could rent the Hong Lou Meng DVD series with English subtitles in the Bay Area, Peninsula, or East Bay in California? I saw the series in some Chinese video stores but it did not have the English subtitles. Thank you!

Daphne

Default is Shanghai Tan available with English subtitles?

I'm curious to find out if either version of this series is available with English subtitles? The original with Chow Yun Fat, or the new series. If it is available, where can I get it?

Thanks

Exclamation 《爱无悔》

Hello, does anyone know whether the series 《爱无悔》 from http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/f/aiwh/index.html is out on DVD/VCD?? I'm so desperate to buy the series but can't find it anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by bohemiangypsy View Post
    Hello, does anyone know whether the series 《爱无悔》 from http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/f/aiwh/index.html is out on DVD/VCD?? I'm so desperate to buy the series but can't find it anywhere

May try to look under this title:
    江南第一店 hope that help.

has there been a release for the 2003 condor heroes with english subs or at least a cantonese track?

Where can I find DVD for this series?

Does anyone know if new huan zhu ge ge is out yet?? allseasons?