Thread: Did Gwok Jing love Yeung Gor more than he did his own children?

Default Did Gwok Jing love Yeung Gor more than he did his own children?

In RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES, you can't help but get the feeling that Gwok Jing loved Yeung Gor more than he did his own biological offspring. Gwok Jing loved Gwok Fu, but not enough to spare cutting off her arm after he found out that she had severed Yeung Gor's arm. When Gwok Seung had been kidnapped by Lee Mok Sau, Gwok Jing was more worried about saving Yeung Gor from the Passion Flower Poison than about rescuing his newborn daughter from a vicious killer. When 16-year old Gwok Seung was held hostage by the Golden Wheel Monk outside of Seung Yeung Fortress, Gwok Jing was again more concerned about Yeung Gor (who was believed to be missing in action at Passionless Valley, although in truth, he was en rout to Seung Yeung at the time with Little Dragon Girl and the Divine Condor).

What is the reason for Gwok Jing's apparent greater love for this adopted "son" than for his own biological children? It's not that Gwok Jing is prejudiced against female offspring (as has long been the case in Chinese culture), because he didn't show Gwok Por Lo the same affection that he showed Yeung Gor. Was it mainly guilt over what happened to Yeung Hong? A sense of responsibility to Yeung Teet Sum?

Possibly two reasons:
    1. his "owing" to his pal yang kang
    2. yang gor being an orphan, whereas his children still have their mother/his wife.

I think he loved them all equally it's just that because he felt guilty about what happend to YK and his promise to YTS.

And the fact that YGs mum died when he was a kid and lived like a begger until they found him.

You also have to count all those times YG saved his family and helped him fight against the enemy and what does GF do to him!

It was stated that Guo Jing and Huang Rong did not love Guo Xiang as much as the other children. Guo Xiang was born during times when the Guo couple were in grave danger, so subconciously they are reminded of that every time they see their daughter. Their love was a bit tainted by the fear and pain of the past.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    It was stated that Guo Jing and Huang Rong did not love Guo Xiang as much as the other children. Guo Xiang was born during times when the Guo couple were in grave danger, so subconciously they are reminded of that every time they see their daughter. Their love was a bit tainted by the fear and pain of the past.
    Since Gwok Por Lo was Gwok Seung's twin, did this also apply to him?

Ironically, Gwok Fu was the one who really brought them the most trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Since Gwok Por Lo was Gwok Seung's twin, did this also apply to him?
    No, because Polu was safely with his parents after his birth, while Guo Xiang was taken away by Dragon Girl and later abducted by Li Mochou. It is possible that deep down inside, the Guo couple had given up on baby Guo Xiang (because there wasn't much chance for her to survive with Li, or so they thought) while they directed their love to Polu, the baby who remained with them.

Ironically, Gwok Fu was the one who really brought them the most trouble.
    To the Guo couple, that was not the case. Guo Fu was dumb, while Polu was very obedient and well-behaved. Guo Xiang however was very eccentric and strange, she would often do crazy stuff, and her parents didn't know how to handle this. Also, the fact that she was abducted as an infant and later again as a teen also did not help. Guo Jing and Huang Rong both felt that Xiang'er was the one who gave them the most trouble and made them worry the most of all.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

No, because Polu was safely with his parents after his birth, while Guo Xiang was taken away by Dragon Girl and later abducted by Li Mochou. It is possible that deep down inside, the Guo couple had given up on baby Guo Xiang (because there wasn't much chance for her to survive with Li, or so they thought) while they directed their love to Polu, the baby who remained with them.

To the Guo couple, that was not the case. Guo Fu was dumb, while Polu was very obedient and well-behaved. Guo Xiang however was very eccentric and strange, she would often do crazy stuff, and her parents didn't know how to handle this. Also, the fact that she was abducted as an infant and later again as a teen also did not help. Guo Jing and Huang Rong both felt that Xiang'er was the one who gave them the most trouble and made them worry the most of all.
    Interesting.

In light of all this, Gwok Seung's relationship with Yeung Gor might take on an additional dimension. She is conscious of admiring him as a big brother figure and of being infatuated with him as a potential romantic interest, but perhaps unconsciously, Gwok Seung also saw Yeung Gor as a sort of surrogate father figure. Gwok Jing never seemed to have time for his younger daughter, so perhaps Gwok Seung projected her desire for a more attentive father figure upon Yeung Gor, who treated her well.

I have always thought that the Kwok couples liked GS more since they lost her just after her birth they might be more protective upon her.

Besides she is the smartest, most potential for martial arts and doing great things than either of her siblings.

interesting. i thought that they love guo xiang the most because she is the most adorable. on the contrary, guo fu was the one who gave them all the headaches.

yeah they did sort of gave up on her when GLFS threatened to burn her to death......poor Guo Xiang.

I sense bad Chinese parenting

Quote Originally Posted by SkineePanda
    yeah they did sort of gave up on her when GLFS threatened to burn her to death......poor Guo Xiang.

I sense bad Chinese parenting
    Even if it was Guo Fu or Guo Polu who was being held hostage, they will still not safe him/her. That's what heroes do. Heroes can't be so selfish and just care about their own children's safety and put the public in danger.

At least in this aspect their treatment toward their children is fair.

ill bet if it were xiao long nu being held hostage, yang guo will say "screw the people, all i care about is my gugu"

Quote Originally Posted by qiaofeng
    ill bet if it were xiao long nu being held hostage, yang guo will say "screw the people, all i care about is my gugu"
    that's why i love yang guo. plus the fact that he waited sln for 16 years. if i can ever get a man like that.... alarm wnet off... time to stop dreaming. this 's also the reason why i don't like gwok jing. i would put his country's welfare before his families. that make him a hero but not a good husband or a good father. that's why i never like heroes in wu xia world. i prefer dai hiep, don't know how to translate this world into english or chinese, than heroes. and by my defination, yang guo is not a heroes but a dai hiep. that's why i love him so much. i read many wuxia books but he will alwyas remain most favorite.

back to the topic, i think he does not love yang guo more than his own children. he does feel that he in debt with yang guo's dad. he also feel sorry for him. plus, he's righterous guy so he beleive that since he daughter chop off yg's arm he has to chop her arm off to give him back his justice. waht a stupid guy. i always thought that gwok jing 's stupid. not low iq stupid but stupid for doing things just becuas because others thinkit is right. i have to give him credit for keeping tuong duong safe for more than a decades. however, somehow i still think of him as a traitor. well, maybe because he has never been my favorite character so i guess it's a little bias.