View Poll Results: Who is your favorite tiger?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Felix Wong

18 29.51%
  • Michael Miu

15 24.59%
  • Kent Tong

1 1.64%
  • Tony Leung

18 29.51%
  • Andy Lau

9 14.75%

Thread: The Golden Five Tigers of TVB

Default The Golden Five Tigers of TVB

The Golden Five Tigers of TVB are: Felix Wong, Michael Miu, Kent Tong, Tony Leung, Andy Lau.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.xpweekly.com/share/xpweekly/0373/ent/20051012ent0080/xwk373b666ap05.jpg')

I like all five but Felix is my favorite because he can play all types of role including hero and villain.
    Let have a poll and see who is the tiger that people like the most....
    Last edited by PeterBanh; 04-14-07 at 12:47 AM.
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

Beside voting, everyone is welcome to write their opinion.

My favorite is Michael Mui Kui Wai b/c he is a verstile actor w/ both charisma and charm
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

i can't decide i very like tony, but felix is also an great actor...can i have both

I voted Andy mainly because I was introduced to him at a VERY young age and he just trumps the rest in my mind =p
    ~*~ Philipians 1:3~*~

arnt they making a movie about this with eason replacing tony leung cause they all hate tony?

anyways i voted felix
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

why would they hate tony?

Well apparently, the five were going through negotiations with tvb back in the day and were spose to stick together so that they could get their way. SO i think they were threatening to leave and what not, the other four actually left while tony stayed and yeah. Don't know the validity of this reason though haha i read it somewhere else myself.
    Full Metal Alchemist - HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI

According to the rumours, the Fives were not happy with the contracts and decided to leave TVB together. However, Tony Leung changed his mind at the last moment and stayed behind.

sheesh...what drama. I never noticed how so many years have passed and they all pretty much look the same...except kent at least
    ~*~ Philipians 1:3~*~

Umm...I've only seen Felix Wong and Michael Miu act...in LOCH 83...and although I hated the series (cause they butchered the plot and messed up everything) I must say, they both acted VERY well. But I liked Felix more simply because he played such a great Guo Jing.
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

hmmmmm. i like michael, felix, andy, and tony. i haven't seen kent in lead roles.. yet. my mom doesn't like him so i she doesn't buy series where he's lead. haha (; correct me if i'm wrong, was he in the foundation?
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

I like Tony and Felix best followed by Michael. voted for Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by lilviet_grl8o8 View Post
    hmmmmm. i like michael, felix, andy, and tony. i haven't seen kent in lead roles.. yet. my mom doesn't like him so i she doesn't buy series where he's lead. haha (; correct me if i'm wrong, was he in the foundation?

Kent Tong was in ROCH83, DGSD82, and The Foundation with Michael Miu Kiu Wai. He's in other series too but those are some of the famous ones.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by convoy View Post
    According to the rumours, the Fives were not happy with the contracts and decided to leave TVB together. However, Tony Leung changed his mind at the last moment and stayed behind.
    I don't think that is the main problem. The five tigers have anual meeting and all of them always show up except Tony never did. Tony seem to keep everything to himself and not socialize with other tigers.

In addition, the budget of the new movie of other four tigers is pretty low so they can't afford to have Tony anyway because his asking price is pretty high....

Here is another article from Asianfanatics.
    http://asianfanatics.net/forum/-talk394847.html

[quote name='Charlene Lau Cho Yee' date='May 9 2007 11 51 PM' post='3872516']
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4097/10ec1p4newa304201ls1.th.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3491/10ec1p2new1a305375cv6.th.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3600/10ec1p1newa308f75qq1.th.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4430/10ec1p3newa30a389dx6.th.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1314/10ec1p5newa30ca3cdn8.th.jpg')
    Source :: Apple Daily
    Thanks to AWCSG00155 for the translation from http://forum.awc618.com
    All these years, Andy has been
    working hard to develop movie career. He had expressed his
    wish before that he he would like to gather the 5 Tigers of
    yesteryear to shoot a movie.
    Actually he has been working on it secretly all this while.
    The new movie, which he himself invested, is titled Brothers,
    shooting will begin end of next month.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8358/10ec1p630e93dtk1.jpg')
    He personally invited Felix Wong, Miu Kiu Wei & Kent Tong,
    but the meeting of the 5 Tigers Tony Leung is missing,
    Eason who does not appear to have any relation is
    one of the main leads.
    The 5 Tigers was formed in the 80s, at the time when Andy,
    Tony, Felix, Miu & Kent were the upcoming stars.
    When TVB asked for a 5 year contract from the 5 of them, the 5
    decided to advance & retreat together, they left TVB & signed up
    with Impact Entertainment.
    Never had they thought at the last minute Tony betrayed them &
    stayed back at TVB. He thus became the only one & got the full
    support of TVB, under no other opponents. He won in opportunities
    but lost in friendship, the relationship of the 5 Tigers was thus
    broken.
    When young they went through thick & thin together, the 4 Tigers
    were angry with Tony, but found it hard to break off completely,
    in 91 they held hands again to shoot a movie titled The Breaking Up of The 5 Tigers, just like the real life.
    After that they seldom work together, in addition, Tony is more
    introvert, the 4 Tigers still find grudge with him.
    Andy & Tony always are arch rivals in movies. In 02 when Peter
    Lam shot Infernal Affairs they then met again.
    In 04 when Andy held a 100th concert at the Coliseum,
    the other 3 Tigers were present, to celebrate with him & gave him
    presents. Only Tony was absent.
    This time when Andy arranged for the 5 Tigers to meet again
    after 16 years, it is then exposed the relationship of love & hate
    with Tony in these 20 years. Tony was excluded in the movie.
    The executive director Kent Cheng at the phone interview
    said, "I’m the executive director, the details will be announced
    by the company later. It is not convenient for me to talk.”
    When asked why was Tony singled out?
    Replied, “Why no Tony? You have to ask Andy, can’t we film movie
    without Tony?”
    On the other hand, through his asst, Andy disclosed that he
    is still shooting in mainland, for details they have to ask the director.
    Director 趙 崇 基 who is presently scouting for shooting
    locations in Thailand said through phone, “We have never
    thought of getting Tony to act, the cast includes Eason
    Chan, Felix, Kent Tong, Miu, Andy”
    Why is Tony not beign considered ?
    Said, “Many reasons. Money is one, getting him we have
    to pay a lot.”
    He disclosed shooting will begin middle of next month,
    starting from Bangkok & back to HK. The budget is
    abt HK 20 million.
    Last edited by PeterBanh; 06-24-07 at 12:14 PM.

Sometimes its hard for me to rate the five tigers, in terms of their acting because each actor's acting is different and they have their good qualities and their flaws. Personally, my favorite is Tony Leung, the yougnest of the five tigers.

My Rank:

Tony Leung
    Kent Tong
    Michael Miu
    Felix Wong
    Andy Lau

Tony Leung

I didn't know who Tony Leung was when I was young. In fact, among the five, he was the last one, I know about. My first series were LOCH and ROCH, so I'm use to seeing Kent, Michael, Felix, and Andy. Only Tony wasn't in any of the two series. Though I didn't who he was in Yang's Saga, he was my favorite among the four sons. It's not that I didn't like the others, but Tony's character was more focused and he was so funny. Couldn't resist him! I didnt' know that he was Tony Leung until I finished watching his role as Kau Yim Hak in The Grand Canal. I love his chemistry with Idy Chan, who is my all-time favorite actress. I have also seen him in Chut Toi Sheung Jiu, and again, he gave a splendid performance as usual. I have seen him in a few movies, and just love them no matter its comedy or tragedy.

This guy's eyes are so captivating. He has a way of looking at his female co-stars on screen. It just makes the love more real and convincing. In terms of looks, Tony is cute and all, but when it comes to ancient series he doesn't look as heroic as Felix Wong. Therefore, with the beard in The Grand Canal, he looks great.

Kent Tong

It's weird that he's second on my list because I haven't seen this guy playing a lead role. I have only seen his cameo performance in ROCH, Yang Saga, The Foundation. Kent is handsome and all. This guy usually gets the evil roles. Sometimes when he doesn't seem to care about something, he's so cool. I love all his flirty scenes with Idy in ROCH, but there aren't that much. My favorite scene between the two is when they were both in the forest and he invites Idy to be his princess. I also love his role in Yang Saga though it was really small. He's just so handsome and he's a good guy there. Regarding his evil role as the corrupted and evil Li Yuanji in The Foundation, he's so good there as usual. I don't like the character Li Yuanji at all, but when Kent plays it, his chemistry with Michael Miu's Li Shimin is just perfect.

Among the five tigers, he's the one that doesn't care much about his acting. As along as it is okay, he'll accept it. Unlike Tony, he always pursues for perfection, Kent is more carefree. I just like his acting, it's kind of unexplainable.

Michael Miu

Something happened along the way because Michael use to be my favorite tiger before I watched The Grand Canal. One of my first series were The New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung and his performance was just irresistable there. It's was practically flawless! Good character and great acting. I couldn't believe another actor taking on this role. Felix doesn't look like the flirty type. Tony is too short. Andy doesn't look good in ancient roles. Kent has the looks, but somehow he just won't be as good as Miu. Chor Lau Heung was my ideal character.

Miu has recently returned to the entertainment business and I agree that his roles are pretty boring. I have seen him in Into Thin Air. His character was just too plain to talk about his acting. Personally, I think Miu doesn't look good in modern roles. Just my opinion, no offense. However, he looks great in ancient characters. I also love his character as Li Shimin in The Foundation.

Felix Wong

The guy can be funny sometimes when he's in LOCH. I think the characters Huang Rong and Guo Jing are well balanced. Guo has the morals and honesty while Huang is smart and witty. The chemsitry between the two is just perfect! I love how Felix always has the stand her tantrums. Felix definitely is the heroic type! He has the looks for it and seems very honest and diligent. No wonder thats what most of his characters are except for his very evil character as Li Mi in The Grand Canal. You can easily be tricked by his character in the beginning because he's so heroic.

I like this actor and his acting is great, but because he's always playing the good, honest, and heroic types, it just gets boring. I like special character, just add a little spark to Felix's characters and maybe it'll be better.

Andy Lau

Though Andy is ranked last on my list, it doesn't mean that I hate him. It's just that I'm not interested in watching him act. He's good at comedy, but just not as good as Tony. I don't think he's really good with ancient. Just doesn't have the look like Michael and Felix.

----------------

The five tigers crying skills.

I don't remember their characters crying in any of the series I've watched. Somehow the series back in the 80's did not require so many crying scenes as the one TVB produce nowadays. If I remember, I only remember watching Tony in Hero (movie) crying. It's too great to be true. His crying, I mean.

Again, each of the five tigers have their own strengths, but I still prefer the sentimental Tony. I love watching depressing movies and that's what he does mostly now.

If you are interested in reading more about the Five Tigers, visit my website TVB Today. It has reviews and stars in all three eras, 80's, 90's, and 00's. Look below for the link.

My favorite tiger among the five tigers would be Micheal Miu. I loved him as Yeung Hong. He was good and evil. Evil to others but quite loyal in his love for Mok Nianci. I cried when Yeung Hong died. How would have thought the audience would actually feel sorry for the villian and wished he had a good ending with Nianci?

Out of all five tigers, Miu has the most charm and in my opinion has the most talent coupled with looks and height. He can play the charming, the crude, the playful, or the villian type to perfection. I was a little too young to appreciate his talent or series until just recently. After I watch LOCH, I was mesmerized with Miu and Barbara Yung and proceed to collect all their series together. I can understand why they were the golden couple of the 80's.

Second would be Tony Leung. I love him in Chet Doi Seung Gui. I can't remember how many times I watched that series with my sister as a kid. We watch that series so many times that even my dad was annoyed with us since we kept hogging the vcr.

Quote Originally Posted by christinatran View Post
    My favorite tiger among the five tigers would be Micheal Miu. I loved him as Yeung Hong. He was good and evil. Evil to others but quite loyal in his love for Mok Nianci. I cried when Yeung Hong died. How would have thought the audience would actually feel sorry for the villian and wished he had a good ending with Nianci?

Out of all five tigers, Miu has the most charm and in my opinion has the most talent coupled with looks and height. He can play the charming, the crude, the playful, or the villian type to perfection. I was a little too young to appreciate his talent or series until just recently. After I watch LOCH, I was mesmerized with Miu and Barbara Yung and proceed to collect all their series together. I can understand why they were the golden couple of the 80's.

Second would be Tony Leung. I love him in Chet Doi Seung Gui. I can't remember how many times I watched that series with my sister as a kid. We watch that series so many times that even my dad was annoyed with us since we kept hogging the vcr.
    agree with you about michael, he could play villains and heroes very well i felt kind of sad when duong kang died! lol

tony leung is okay.. lol
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

GAAA!!! That's so hard!! I love both Tony and Felix. But I gotta pick Tony. Why? I'm not sure
    Alec and Ruby Fan Forever!!!