Thread: Si Wang Ri Ji (Death Diary)

Thumbs up Si Wang Ri Ji (Death Diary)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i3.yesasia.com/assets/imgs/videos/19/l_p1003376019.jpg')

Image courtesy of yesasia.com

Director: Jiang Wei

Main cast: Du Yuan, Lin Xi Yue, Dong Yong, Wang Zhi Fei, Che Xiao, Zeng Yi

Number of episodes: 25

Premise: A number of attractive and highly educated young women have been killed and it's up to the police and criminal psychologists to figure out who's behind the grisly murders and the motivation behind them. A mentally ill Shi Ying has confessed after being caught and although he knows every detail of the murders and how they were done, somehow, the real picture is far from complete. When Shi Ying commits suicide, it seems that the truth will remain hidden forever. Meanwhile, professor Liu has gone missing and now it's up to his student Zhou Ma to find out what really happened. The real murderer was so close by all along...

I'm up to episode 18 right now and can say that this series is very good. If it wasn't for all this schoolwork, I'd probably be watching it non-stop. I would rate it 4.5 out of 5, with the .5 deduction only because the pacing is a bit on the slow side. There are a couple of love triangles too, but they don't really hinder the show. The acting is excellent and the story is very interesting. I want to see more of Wang Zhi Fei.

Anyway, I really recommend this series to anyone who likes the mystery/police/forensics/psychology genre.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 02-27-05 at 02:45 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I just finished watching this series and it's definitely one of the best ones I've seen in a long time. The acting is top-notch (especially Wang Zhi Fei's), the story is very intriguing and involved, and the music is so cool and powerful.

If you're a fan of C.S.I., you're sure to enjoy this series.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cdetv.com/newsroom/image/chengmdzr/6.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cdetv.com/newsroom/image/chengmdzr/5.gif')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cdetv.com/newsroom/image/chengmdzr/1.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cdetv.com/newsroom/image/chengmdzr/2.gif')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cdetv.com/newsroom/image/chengmdzr/9.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cdetv.com/newsroom/image/chengmdzr/8.gif')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cdetv.com/newsroom/image/chengmdzr/3.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cdetv.com/newsroom/image/chengmdzr/4.gif')
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I heard this one was good, but i'd have to wait till the quater's over to start looking for it. Dunno but there seems to be alot of crime fighting dramas coming out lately, its like a fad or something.
    anyway, the most important question -- are there any hot detectives? if there arent, i dont think i'd be able to sit through a cop drama.

Are there a lot of crime fighting dramas being released lately? Well, I hope I come across more quality ones worth watching and rewatching like this one.

If you're mainly interested in male eyecandy, then this series is probably not for you. Some girls might find the actor who played Zhou Ma (Lin Xi Yue) handsome, but I'm not one of them. He's okay looking, but not hubbalicious like, say...Yan Kuan.
    As for female eyecandy, there's Zeng Yi. I think she's really pretty, but she doesn't get a lot of screentime and her character seems to lack energy throughout much of the series even though she is very heroic. Overall, the acting is really commendable, especially Wang Zhi Fei's. <----Yeah, I know I've already mentioned that twice in this thread, but such an impressive performance is worth praising many times over.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 02-28-05 at 01:03 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I agree, there are a number of good looking actors in mainland, but Yan Kuan has got to be the hottest one LOL, slightly off topic there.
    The reason I asked about the hotness factor is that out of the two cop dramas i've ever seen, both had really bad climax and the guys were ugly. plus, i hate those case by case things.

Anyway, u seem to be really up to date on alot of good new dramas, have u seen anything else thats worth watching recently?
    btw, if you're into crime thrillers, i'd recommend this one called 'zui hou zhen duan', its sort of a good doctor vs. bad doctor story mixed with law enforcement, and of course, the love triangle. I enjoyed it because of the interesting premise and fast paced plot, every episode was pretty gripping.

Quote Originally Posted by divinefish
    The reason I asked about the hotness factor is that out of the two cop dramas i've ever seen, both had really bad climax and the guys were ugly.
    Oh, may I ask which two cop dramas those were so that I may avoid them?

plus, i hate those case by case things.
    This series concentrates on one major case, so it's not like "oh, we've caught the guilty party in the first case and now here's a brand new one for us to solve" and so on...

Personally, I like the case by case style, especially in the "Young Justice Bao" series.

Anyway, u seem to be really up to date on alot of good new dramas, have u seen anything else thats worth watching recently?
    Nah, I just watch whatever I happen to be in the mood for, whether they're new series or not.

What kinds of series do you like? Are there any thespians that you prefer?

btw, if you're into crime thrillers, i'd recommend this one called 'zui hou zhen duan', its sort of a good doctor vs. bad doctor story mixed with law enforcement, and of course, the love triangle. I enjoyed it because of the interesting premise and fast paced plot, every episode was pretty gripping.
    That does sound like an interesting series. Do you know the names of the main actors and/or actresses and about what year it was released?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

More pics:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.jxgdw.com/articleimage/2004-12-09/swrj-2.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.jxgdw.com/articleimage/2004-12-09/swrj-3.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.jxgdw.com/articleimage/2004-12-09/swrj-4.jpg')
    Alyssa Chia Vietnamese: http://alyssachia.info

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Oh, may I ask which two cop dramas those were so that I may avoid them?
    one's called Li An Zhen Cha(i think) and another called zhong an liu zu II, i mean the process of solving each mystery was bearable, but the payoffs at the end of the cases were way too out there.

What kinds of series do you like? Are there any thespians that you prefer? ?
    you watch more ancient dramas right? like QWLSM and JLTX? I love wuxia as well, but they're all so long(like 40 eps). For me, unless its a JY adaption, i usually watch 20 eps then just start fastforwarding through the rest. LOL
    as for actors, I know we both reckon Yan Kuan is madd hot! but in terms of acting abilities, i like chen dao ming, hu jun and that guy from yong bu ming mu(the baddie) i think his name is sun hong lei.

That does sound like an interesting series. Do you know the names of the main actors and/or actresses and about what year it was released?
    I watched it on tv when i was in china summer 04, so the drama was probably made in early 04. I don't think any of the cast memebers were that famous, the main actor's name is Su Ke(i think) and the antagonist was Chen Jian Bin, can't remember the rest though. Still, all the actors were easy on the eyes and the story was good.

you watch more ancient dramas right? like QWLSM and JLTX? I love wuxia as well, but they're all so long(like 40 eps). For me, unless its a JY adaption, i usually watch 20 eps then just start fastforwarding through the rest. LOL
    as for actors, I know we both reckon Yan Kuan is madd hot! but in terms of acting abilities, i like chen dao ming, hu jun and that guy from yong bu ming mu(the baddie) i think his name is sun hong lei.
    I definitely watch more mainland ancient series, but when it comes to TVB, I watch mostly modern ones. You don't watch much TVB, do you?

Have you seen QWLSM or JLTX yet? If not, I'd recommend both of them to you. Yan Kuan gets a lot of screentime in QWLSM, so even though his character becomes more and more of an arse as the series progresses, you do get your healthy eyeful of a fine lookin' man. I liked JLTX alot because I love the detective genre and the series rarely dragged except for the beginning. Plus it had quite a few funny parts and Li Jin Rong fulfills the eyecandy criteria as well. The only weak link was the presence of Wang Xue Bing as Bao Zheng.

I watched it on tv when i was in china summer 04, so the drama was probably made in early 04. I don't think any of the cast memebers were that famous, the main actor's name is Su Ke(i think) and the antagonist was Chen Jian Bin, can't remember the rest though. Still, all the actors were easy on the eyes and the story was good.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be on the lookout for it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I watched the first episode, and frankly, I'm not impressed. A lot of it seems very unrealistic, like how Zeng Li can get away with slacking off (before she quit that is ~ somehow I'm suspecting that she's going undercover) and that guy can be so arrogant to his police supervisor--aren't those dudes usually really tough?

Plus, the females who got killed were really annoying in their screams and pleas, but at least they don't stick around.

Those are small factors, the pacing is what's killing it for me--way too slow.

Does it get better or am I just wasting my time?

Hey since when did mainland cop dramas became interesting? The only watchable cop dramas were all produced by HK's TVB.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    Does it get better or am I just wasting my time?
    The pacing does test your patience, but it gets better.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks Lady Zhuge! Actually my parents are on episode 7 or something right now, and they said that it's quite good right now. I caught 1/5 of an episode about some girl named Fang Fang, and the plot seemed interesting.

The main guy is kind of funny, even when he doesn't try--just that eager/confident/indescriable expression on his face all the time. I wouldn't classify him as good looking either, but he's not horrible to look at either.

Thi series has changed name to "witness in silient"《沉默的证人》, it is a very good play

looks interseting

I saw this a couple of years ago. It's really good, definitely one of the better mysteries out there. I found the ending quite sad though... due to... ahem... well, I'd better not spoil it.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情