Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fan-Fiction Q&A

Default Fan-Fiction Q&A

1. How many pages should a chapter have?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Default chapter length

For me it depends. But generally I like to keep my chapters around 20 to 30 pages long.
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

It really depends on the right place in teh story to start and stop, rather than hwo many pages. Just allow enough information for the audience to think about and something interesting or important happening in the chapter that help further develop the story. I say maybe 8-9 pages on Word for me.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

It depends how many things you want to say. And when you want your readers to take a breather. Hah.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Canada, in an igloo and i'm a lumber jack and we only have honey curlers up here. And hockey rules!

i agree, it depends on the font if your talking about a book, but i think around 10 - 20 pages.

Imagine the story as a tv serial, and the chapters are the episodes. Now imagine how long you want each 'episode' of your 'tv serial' to be. There are many books I've read where they dedicate many many pages for long epic battle scenes, and then suddenly a 2-3 pages long chapter where two characters have a simple yet meaningful dialogue.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Angry Are there fanfics that are sequels of shows with sucky endings?

Recently, I've been watching a spate of serials with either really unsatisfactory endings, or irritating/bad plots that could've been better with some tweaking.

My question is, can anyone tell me if there are fanfics that are sequels of shows with such problems? Are there other dissatisfied fans out there like me who wished that a particular series could've ended differently, or the plot could have been developed in another direction? Anyone know where can I find them? Input would be much appreciated.
    Water is taught by thirst - Emily Dickinson

Actually, a while ago, I started a thread similar to this. Asking people why they are writing fanfics starring actors and actresses and not write a fanfics of TVB serials.

The thread veered off to how I would want to write a fanfic of the horrible DIF4, where it was revealed that Roger's a good guy and Louis was in fact an undercover for triads. Sorta like Infernal Affairs.

But I'm sure you're referring to Square Pegs now eh?
    Swifty, Writing

Part of the reason that I have decided to write 'The Black Dragon Swordsman' is that I haven't seen a good kung fu TVB series lately, so decided to write something original that I wouldn't mind watching on screen.

I've been getting very irratated by some of the stuff TVB puts out these days. Some of the plots make no sense or are recylced material of the 80s shows. If you've watched enough of them and remember the plot to recognise it.

So I would never write a continuation of a TVB series, if I didn't like the story and the characters.
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

But I'm sure you're referring to Square Pegs now eh?
    That, as well as Lofty Water Verdant Bow.

But I think I'm referring more to 40+ episode shows. Since I've invested so much time watching them, I can't help but get pissed at bad endings. DIF4 is a good example. I also felt like smacking every character at the end of Golden Faith.

I'm an avid fanfic reader/writer of many genres, American drama, anime, etc. Those seem to be more condusive for better fanfics for some reason. Maybe it's because American dramas go on season after season, so there is more emotional investment on the audience's part.

Anyway, it would be great if you could write a fanfic sequel for DIF4, I'll read it!

You can go to http://www.winglin.net/fanfic/ to search for the fanfiction u want. I remember seeing a Lofty Water Verdant Bow sequel and a couple of TITS and Survivor's Law sequels.

Here is the url of Lofty Water Verdant Bow II:
    http://www.winglin.net/fanfic/ltran13/
    Last edited by kidd; 03-12-04 at 10:00 AM.

Originally posted by Arashi
    Anyway, it would be great if you could write a fanfic sequel for DIF4, I'll read it!
    A couple of years ago, DIF IV sequels were all the rage. Now, I doubt many people want to write DIF IV sequels. Most just make Anne's character die anyway, and pair Louis & Jessica up indiscriminately.
    玉木宏

blog

Merged the two threads together since it has to do with questions on fanfics. Hope its okay.

I've considered writing sequels but sometimes people haven't seen the series and writing a sequel to it would probably be for my enjoyment only. So I think it's better to write my own fanfic with celebrities or without them.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

That kinda makes the word 'fanfic' moot, doesn't it?

Kidd - thanks for the url. I took a peek and umm, the whole thing reads like a bad radio talkshow. *cringe*

I'm actually going through HK and Taiwan search engines looking under "wuxia" for a LWVB sequel. I figure that there's a higher chance of finding good calibre work that way. So far, no sucess. Part of the reason is because I have no idea what is 'fanfiction' in Chinese, lol.
    Last edited by Arashi; 03-12-04 at 12:55 PM.

Arashi,

Have you tried searching for them in Raymond Lam, Michelle Yip, Tavia Yeung fansites perhaps they've archived the fanfic sequels there?

I think I'm in a conundrum here, SS.

I'll admit that I'm a fan of certain actors, but I don't care to be a voyeur or a swooning fan-girl. I've browse through several of the fanfics in winglin.net, but they drove me away from reading them because they read like the lives of actors themselves, and real names used just serves to detract me further from the story, if there is even one in the first place. Not to mention bad English and horrible ICQ abbreviations.

It might be impossible, but I want to believe there are a handful of writers out there who truely write TV serial fanfics because they are bothered by a particular story/series, and hope to do justice in their revisions. I've found such gems in many fanfic genres, and I want to think there are such people here too.
    Last edited by Arashi; 03-12-04 at 01:14 PM.

Arashi,

Perhaps you'll have better luck on investing some time to write your own sequel to Lofty Water Verdant Bow. I did a search on google.com too and nothing came up except some that already showed the bad radio talkshow link you already saw and some french site on chinese tv series and movies.

-SS

Originally posted by junny
    A couple of years ago, DIF IV sequels were all the rage. Now, I doubt many people want to write DIF IV sequels. Most just make Anne's character die anyway, and pair Louis & Jessica up indiscriminately.
    Not really, I want to pair Jessica and Sunny up. Have Louis killed.

Yeah, it would be interesting. Roger escapes from jail and tries to convince Sunny that he was quite in fact a cop, and Louis the spy.

Bang bang.

Annie, ashamed of her ways, begged Roger for forgiveness. But Louis, being the crazed bastard he was. Shot his own most beloved Annie to death. Before turning the gun on himself.

Ah, Infernal Affairs.
    Swifty, Writing

Originally posted by Arashi

It might be impossible, but I want to believe there are a handful of writers out there who truely write TV serial fanfics because they are bothered by a particular story/series, and hope to do justice in their revisions. I've found such gems in many fanfic genres, and I want to think there are such people here too.
    I've wanted to be one of these people. Unfortunately, I'm writing an anime fanfic, and that one's probably gonna be my very last fic before I retire from fanfic-writing for good. And there're only 2-3 chapters left. Of course, since I'm not a fast writer, I might have one more year to go. Haha.

But I'll still be around to toss ideas.

If there's no one doing this, Arashi, this can always be a great place to start. Let's be the innovator instead. (after all, I myself was the first writer of fanfics starring Jpop artistes! Okay, maybe just a group of them...)
    Swifty, Writing

do people actually read fanfics?