Thread: Delete post > Close one whole thread?

Default Delete post > Close one whole thread?

Isn't deleting a post better than closing one whole thread? I.E if one poster has violated the rules.. just delete his/her post.. by editing it to:

<Post Deleted For Violating Rule ..............>

I've seen some threads closed just because one post has violated the rule.. other than the reason that the thread has no connection with the forum.
    Just a suggestion..

I believe that's up to the discretion of the mods.
    玉木宏

blog

arachidonic, It would help your case if you could display some examples. If what you say is true then I totally agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic
    Isn't deleting a post better than closing one whole thread? I.E if one poster has violated the rules.. just delete his/her post.. by editing it to:

I've seen some threads closed just because one post has violated the rule.. other than the reason that the thread has no connection with the forum.
    Just a suggestion..
    Yes I agree with this too because sometimes a good thread is close because a a few people (who usually aren't contributing much to the original topic) push it out of bound. But the mods usually encourage people to restart a different thread with the same topic again and that is what I been seeing.

What gets me is people posting just an emotion or 1 word post. (sometimes they hide this by quoting a previous post but neverless still a wasted post). That to me is a waste of space.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    arachidonic, It would help your case if you could display some examples. If what you say is true then I totally agree with you.
    Yeah.. I know I should provide examples... but, I can't get'em now.. its.. closed..

I remember one on TVB Theme Songs.. The whole thread was closed because of reason:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...849#post388849...
    Check post #587.

I'm not sure which user has violated that rule though..

Yeah.. I know I should provide examples... but, I can't get'em now.. its.. closed..

I remember one on TVB Theme Songs.. The whole thread was closed because of reason:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...849#post388849...
    Check post #587.

I'm not sure which user has violated that rule though..
    I think EM did the right thing by closing that thread becuase the thread could lead to piracy issues with theme songs.
    Flame on I am gone...

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    I think EM did the right thing by closing that thread becuase the thread could lead to piracy issues with theme songs.
    Yup.. I know.. weak example.. But.. I guess its better to just edit away the link.. as the forum was kinda popular?

But then the other posters will start asking, "Where's the link? Can somone else provide a new link please?"

By closing the thread it sents a clear message across to everyone that there are still rules to abide by.

But then the other posters will start asking, "Where's the link? Can somone else provide a new link please?"

By closing the thread it sents a clear message across to everyone that there are still rules to abide by.
    Yup, but if the moderator deletes the post, he/she is bound to provide a reason, as I had typed:

Something like that...

I like to imagine closing threads without stating reason before as the mods' here way of saying in a funny Cartman voice, "respect my authority!"

You've a good point and you should pm spcnet your suggestion.

Yup.. I know.. weak example.. But.. I guess its better to just edit away the link.. as the forum was kinda popular?
    Nay, I didn't mean to sound to disagree with you. I just know that EM does a great job with mods. I totally understand what you mean though. There are some threads that were close because one of few poster hijack it.
    Flame on I am gone...

I like to imagine closing threads without stating reason before as the mods' here way of saying in a funny Cartman voice, "respect my authority!"

You've a good point and you should pm spcnet your suggestion.
    Alright, thanks!

I'm just curious why this forum doesn't have the delete option for posts or threads? I think it's less work for the administration if members can delete their own posts/threads (if no one else has posted a thread for example). Since moderators usually take longer to respond, it speeds up things.

Unfortunately, members can only edit their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I'm just curious why this forum doesn't have the delete option for posts or threads? I think it's less work for the administration if members can delete their own posts/threads (if no one else has posted a thread for example). Since moderators usually take longer to respond, it speeds up things.
    Ha.. this option is only for the admin and moderators.

Ha.. this option is only for the admin and moderators.
    allowing members to delete their posts would actually be quite beneficial. sometimes, we accidentally "DOUBLE POST" and I think the option to delete the post would really help. well, i know for a fact that the HMO Community allows their members to edit AND delete their original posts.
    Last edited by mysterl0us; 05-06-06 at 04:03 AM.