Thread: Mo Dong Sect's reputation in wuxia fiction in general.

Default Mo Dong Sect's reputation in wuxia fiction in general.

If you've watched many of the Shaw Brothers martial arts films during the 1970s or read a number of Gu Long's martial arts novels, it's easy to get the impression that the Mo Dong Sect was an "evil" sect...always a thorn in the side of the "orthodox", "heroic" Shaolin Temple (which is always depicted in a positive light in said Shaw Brothers movies). In Gu Long's LUK SIU FUNG novels, the Mo Dong Sect is a downright sinister force...its leader the Wooden Taoist (Lo Do Ba Tze - Old Sabre Tyrant) among the most nefarious villains that Luk Siu Fung and his allies ever faced.

And yet in HEAVEN SWORD AND DRAGON SABRE, Jin Yong portrayed the Mo Dong Sect as the only truly noble sect of the Six Orthodox Sects. Founder Cheung 3 Fung was the ideal martial arts sage - wise, skilled, and compassionate. His seven disciples were each gallant and noble knights, courageous and dedicated to justice. In a story of hypocrites and frauds, Mo Dong Sect in HSDS stood like a lone pillar of the xia ideal.

Generally speaking, however, which version of Mo Dong prevails in wuxia fiction: the sinister one of Gu Long and the Shaw Brothers movies, or the noble and gallant one of HSDS?

OK, impressions are just from the film "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", but Mo Dong seemed like a peaceful place. It produced at least one righteous hero: Li MuBai. The only stain on it's character came from the mouth of the Jade-Eyed Fox - accusing Li MuBai's sifu of sexual misconduct, etc.

Well the Wu Tang Clan are now a bunch of rappers making big bucks in the USA.

LOL i've watched alot of SB films.....and alot within this year too, my dad and uncle started a craze haha. And yea it is kinda weird how they have Mo Dong Sect as evil in wuxia.....in Hung Hei Gun wasn't Mo Dong bad? I can't remember but i do remember evil taoists here and there haha.

But alot of the time the Mo Dong Sect is also portrayed as good and righteous rivalling shaolin....
    Full Metal Alchemist - HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI

Quote Originally Posted by kamii
    LOL i've watched alot of SB films.....and alot within this year too, my dad and uncle started a craze haha. And yea it is kinda weird how they have Mo Dong Sect as evil in wuxia.....in Hung Hei Gun wasn't Mo Dong bad? I can't remember but i do remember evil taoists here and there haha.

But alot of the time the Mo Dong Sect is also portrayed as good and righteous rivalling shaolin....
    I think White-Brow Taoist was from Emei. Wudang and all the other clans were well into decline then.

In LUK SIU FUNG Book 4: THE HAUNTED VILLA, the entire elite leadership of Mo Dong Sect is depicted as evil and corrupt: Wooden Taoist, Yip Ling Fung, Sek Hok, and I think Gum Mo Gwut were all former Mo Dong Sect elders who went bad. It's almost like an evil mirror universe version of the Mo Dong Sect of HSDS.

Mo Dong Sect is great during Cheung Sam Fung and his students eras. After that, they are corrupted. They are mostly bad afterwards as they involve in politics. They sometimes team up with the Jinyiwei.

Was Zhang Sanfeng ever mentioned by name in any of Gu Long's novels?

Was Taiji mentioned?

I dont seem to recall?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post

Was Taiji mentioned?

I dont seem to recall?
    I don't know. I would like to believe that Cheung 3 Fung is recognized as the founder of Mo Dong Sect in all wuxia universes.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Was Taiji mentioned?

I dont seem to recall?
    Hi CC, the only one I can recall is the Third Master's Sword, chapter 39.

武林中一向有七大剑派——武当、点苍、华山、昆仑、海南、峨嵋、崆峒。

少林弟子多不使剑,所以少林不在其中。

自从三丰真人妙悟内家剑法真谛,开宗立派以来,武当派就被天下学剑的人奉为正宗,历年门下弟子高手辈出 ,盛誉始终不坠。

武当派的当代剑客从老一辈的高手中,有六大弟子,号称:"四灵双玉"。

四寮之首欧阳云鹤,自出道以来,己身经大小三十六战,只曾在隐居巴山的武林名宿顾道人手下 败过几招。

欧阳云鹤长身玉立,英姿风发,不但在同门兄弟中很有人望,在江湖中的人缘也很好,自从巴山这一战后,几 乎已被公认最有希望继承武当道统的一个人,他自己也颇能谨守本份,洁身自好。

可是他今天居然在这种地方出现了,谢晓峰第一个看见的就是他。看来那老头的确没有说谎,因为欧阳云鹤的 确是好手。

I can't remember if Taiji and Wudang are connected with one another in Gu Long's universe.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

and in Liang Yusheng's novel, Zhang Sanfeng is the founder of Taiji sect on Caomang Longshe Zhuan and Longhu Dou Jinghua

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    Hi CC, the only one I can recall is the Third Master's Sword, chapter 39.

武林中一向有七大剑派——武当、点苍、华山、昆仑、海南、峨嵋、崆峒。

少林弟子多不使剑,所以少林不在其中。

自从三丰真人妙悟内家剑法真谛,开宗立派以来,武当派就被天下学剑的人奉为正宗,历年门下弟子高手辈出 ,盛誉始终不坠。

武当派的当代剑客从老一辈的高手中,有六大弟子,号称:"四灵双玉"。

四寮之首欧阳云鹤,自出道以来,己身经大小三十六战,只曾在隐居巴山的武林名宿顾道人手下 败过几招。

欧阳云鹤长身玉立,英姿风发,不但在同门兄弟中很有人望,在江湖中的人缘也很好,自从巴山这一战后,几 乎已被公认最有希望继承武当道统的一个人,他自己也颇能谨守本份,洁身自好。

可是他今天居然在这种地方出现了,谢晓峰第一个看见的就是他。看来那老头的确没有说谎,因为欧阳云鹤的 确是好手。

I can't remember if Taiji and Wudang are connected with one another in Gu Long's universe.
    Great, thanks. It would be quite amazing, given all the books he wrote, if there was only one single instance of Z3F mentioned. And no Taiji!

My impression is that GL likes to use Kunlun, Kongdong and Diancang for his 'Random Sword Master Goons' for his pet Sword Gods to cut down.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Great, thanks. It would be quite amazing, given all the books he wrote, if there was only one single instance of Z3F mentioned. And no Taiji!

My impression is that GL likes to use Kunlun, Kongdong and Diancang for his 'Random Sword Master Goons' for his pet Sword Gods to cut down.
    Kind of seems to be a veiled message that individualism beats corporatism.

There's also a mysterious sect called "Mt. Ba Sect" that gets mentioned from time to time in LSF.

these are list of sect in Gu Long's universe, but dont know how to encode the language

https://web.archive.org/web/20090217...p/gulong5c.htm