Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which characters couldn't live up to their hype?

Default Which characters couldn't live up to their hype?

Which characters were overhyped in Jiang Hu to have groundbreaking martial arts, but their true level was not so great?

I'll start with Murong Fu. Before we ever saw the guy, he was pronounced alongside Qiao Feng as the cream of the crop in Central Plains. He was almost treated like a super mysterious god-like figure. When Qiao Feng thought Duan Yu was him, Qiao Feng had no problem believing that Murong Fu was superior. Yet the real Murong Fu was nowhere near as strong as we have been led to believe.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Well, the title was originally his father's. So MRF didn't really earned this hype by himself.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

My point is I was led to believe he was much stronger than he was.

another point may be why murong fu's skills is not as good as his dad? alternatively, since everything is relative, it is because xiao feng's skills are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    another point may be why murong fu's skills is not as good as his dad? alternatively, since everything is relative, it is because xiao feng's skills are much better.
    No, even if XF was lousier, MRF would be beaten up by Duan Zhengming, Duan Yanqing, Ding Chun Qiu and possibly Xuan Ci and some of the other Shaolin elders. These are quite well known wulin personalities, not 'hidden dragons' like XYS, MRB, TSTL, JMZ etc etc.

hmm, in that case, could the skills of mufurong's dad be equally lousy in the first place?

MRB is certainly not XF's level at age 31, so he compared to his son before he reached his level in DGSD is hard to determine.
    Last edited by superboy; 10-06-05 at 03:18 AM.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Yes hard to determine, but MRB was very much feared.

MRB of 30 years ago, ie about XF's age, was well respected as a person and for his kungfu. He was able to enter Shaolin with ease.

The likes of Yellow Brows Monk, was defeated by a fifteen year old MRB. The cook? hiding in Dali palace pretty much shat his pants when he was reminded of the MR family.

Oops forgot to answer the question.

YK was a big disappointment for someone who read ROCH b4 LOCH.

Based on ROCH, I always thought YK was a powerful badass - he was only defeated by the brain of HR in combination with GJ's kungfu, I thought he was more powerful than OYF. Yet he was so weak.

Cheng Kun was also a disappointment. His kungfu was no where close to ZWJ. His intelligence and planning was admirable though.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    Oops forgot to answer the question.

YK was a big disappointment for someone who read ROCH b4 LOCH.

Based on ROCH, I always thought YK was a powerful badass - he was only defeated by the brain of HR in combination with GJ's kungfu, I thought he was more powerful than OYF. Yet he was so weak.

Cheng Kun was also a disappointment. His kungfu was no where close to ZWJ. His intelligence and planning was admirable though.
    Well, based on how his martial arts was not even worth mentioning in ROCH, you should have deduced that YK wasn't much of a bada$$.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    Yes hard to determine, but MRB was very much feared.

MRB of 30 years ago, ie about XF's age, was well respected as a person and for his kungfu. He was able to enter Shaolin with ease.

The likes of Yellow Brows Monk, was defeated by a fifteen year old MRB. The cook? hiding in Dali palace pretty much shat his pants when he was reminded of the MR family.
    The general wulin pre-DGSD seemed to be pretty crap comparatively (excluding the recluses like Xiao Yao Elders and Sweeper). Look at how the young XYS butt kicked the cream of the wulin. Since the old XYS was about equal to the old MRB and they both entered and stole shaolin secrets at about the same time, they should be about equal at age 30 too.

So the young MRB should be as kick *** as the young XYS. Good enough to kick a combined gang of the best wulin fighters.

All of Gu Long's characters.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

XYS and MRB should be around the XF level thirty years ago. the reason MRF is not as good as his dad maybe because he trained mostly on his own and his only teacher was his mom who sucked at martial arts. if his dad took a hand in his martial education, then he might have been much better.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    XYS and MRB should be around the XF level thirty years ago. the reason MRF is not as good as his dad maybe because he trained mostly on his own and his only teacher was his mom who sucked at martial arts. if his dad took a hand in his martial education, then he might have been much better.
    But they are around the same level in during the DGSD period. are you saying they haven't improved at all during those 30 years?

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

i'm sure that they made improvements, but more in inner power refinement and gaining new power techniques that raises them to a new level. i reprase what i said about them. they should be in the XF before learning dragon palms or the current MRF level thirty years ago.

MRF was a great level:
    [As Xiao Feng was fighting Murong Fu with all his strength, You Tan Zhi attacked him again and he felt the cold yin energy chill his body, causing great discomfort. The poisonous energies of the silk ice worm had been conditioned and strengthened by the Yi Jin Jing, the righteous and the demonic fused, water and fire synergised to become one of the strongest and deadliest inner force under heaven and added to the miraculous techniques of Murong Fu's Star Shifting Stance, Xiao Feng was battling two ultimate fighters. Compared to that day in Ju Xian Manor against over a hundred fighters, this situation was not any easier.]

[Thinking thus, Murong Fu reserved part of his strength everytime he struck out with a blow and only made a show of exerting his full force and ignoring danger. The power of Xiao Feng's 18 Dragon Slaying Palms was thus largely absorbed by You Tan Zhi. As Murong Fu's skills were deep and amazing, none of the onlookers could see through his act.]
    it was stated twice in the translation that MRF was outstanding. XYS and MRB were probably at this level thirty yrs ago.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

What always fascinates me is that in DGSD 1982, Duan Yu said: "What can one do with the Six Meridian Swords? Compared to Young Master Murong's martial arts, it is vastly inferior." What a joke! You can imagine, after I heard this line, I thought Murong Fu was a major badass.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    What always fascinates me is that in DGSD 1982, Duan Yu said: "What can one do with the Six Meridian Swords? Compared to Young Master Murong's martial arts, it is vastly inferior." What a joke! You can imagine, after I heard this line, I thought Murong Fu was a major badass.
    I don't know about you, but Sek Sau's premature announcement and his comical stunts when he rescued Beggar Clan changed all that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanky Panky
    I don't know about you, but Sek Sau's premature announcement and his comical stunts when he rescued Beggar Clan changed all that for me.
    Are you talking about the time when Duan Yu and Ah Zhu posed as Qiao and Murong? That was hilarious, and then when they ran away from the REAL Qiao Feng.

Nah, it’s the part when the real Murong Fu showed his butt. I can’t help but think what a dreadful performance he put in, especially compared with Byan Leung Gayan’s.

I also couldn’t doubt that the Xiao Feng character was made for Bryan, as Sammo Hung puts it: Every style that is revealed to him he will “一學即會, 一會即精”, mirroring XF’s description.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

anyone watch DGSD 96? in the first fighting scene between MRF and XF, they look like equals. but as the series progresses they made him significantly weaker then XF. i do not like how DY can beat MRF, what a joke. this guy has no training and can manage to beat MRF who has trained in martial arts his whole life. DY sucks, hate that JY character.