Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Good Old Days

Default The Good Old Days

I think this series is one of the best that ATV produced.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/thythy_/TGOD01.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/thythy_/TGOD02.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/thythy_/yan_photo_10.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/thythy_/yan_photo_2.jpg')

I loved Amy Chan in this series! It was very touching towards the end!
    **Currently Watching**
    -Lovers (Korea)
    -Maiden Wai Xai (Taiwan)
    -Air City (Korea)

what's this serie all about??$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://tinypic.com/i5ajwg.gif')

it's all about AMY STEVEN n GILBERT!!!
    it's a SUPER nice show!!!
    die-die must see
    Stop piracy!
    Support original!

Hi, I am just watching this series now. I wonder if anyone can give me a little summary of the show.

Actually, as I am watching I notice that Amy Chan's husband (Steven??) doesn't show up in the show too much! I just saw him in the beginning and I haven't seen him that much again, and I am at episode 50!

So far it's really interesting and touching. Amy Chan's acting is GREAT!!!

Also, I wonder who Gilbert will end up with?

Thanks for your help!
    ~True friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.~

the show is too long to summarise. haha.

gilbert will end up with amy's sister, xiu ling.
    Stop piracy!
    Support original!

Thanks, jparadize!

WOW, I can't believe Gilbert ends up with Amy's sister. SHe is still a little kid that left for Macau right now.

I am at the part where they are in the Big City and selling the clothes made from scraps. I really love how they pull together for the family. Expecially Amy and Gilbert.

As for Sheren, you can tell that she does it, but she doesn't want to. She is tired of working for the "Fong" family and sometimes have an attitude towards Amy. But, then that is more human nature. At least she still works right along side them (But it seems like Amy's doiing all the work. She puts the cloth together, sews until the night , she takes the orders, and etc!) Amy's character is waayyyy too good! Although, probabaly that's why everybody loves her character!

I see that I am only about half way thru the show, so this indeed is a long show. I guess I have no idea what's gonna happen, hopefully they get their $$ back somehow!

And Amy and Sheren's husband come back soon!

yuck, hated steve in there. Love gilbert to the bone . Wish he ended up with Amy, but what a disappointed ending. If you love the show, don't watch part III. In the original script, gilbert's character supposely ends up with Amy, but then the audience thought that steve is her best match, the director changes the script, and the last part was added in.

I love Gilbert's character too!

I actually thought he was going to end up with Amy. Because from the start, they are shown interacting together, and he is so nice to her.

He is always caring and sensitive to her feelings. Which was great.

But then when she got married to Steven, Steven ignored her and didn't treat her as a wife. I was freaking mad!

Amy was trying so hard, and giving in so much, and all Steven cared about was himself. I was thinking, if only Amy married Gilbert.

But then Steven and Amy fell in love for like 1.5 episodes. So I guess that made up for it! NOT!

Gilbert is super nice, and he is so giving and caring when Amy is sad or unhappy. Sometimes I notice that the first person he thinks of when anything big happens is: Amy!!

Then the family lost their fortune, and they had to do hard labor, Gilbert was very supporting too. He's a great character, with flaws and stuff, a normal person. I was wondering who he would like, because as I am watching I see now women in his life, except for Amy, his sister-in-law. But now that you mention he will like AMy, I need to look back and see if I miss anything else! I did notice that they had A LOT of screen time together! Like 90% of the drama, you see them struggling and working together!

They portray Steven as a great person. But I hated it. As i see Amy, Gilbert and Sheren struggle with poverty and money problems, I keep wondering where the heck is that Steven guy. He shouldn;t be fighting no war, he should be home helping his wife and family!!

nonono, I will probably not like part 3 as you have explained, but I will probably watch it, just to finish it and yell at the producers!
    Last edited by shootingst8r; 07-07-06 at 12:05 PM.

hey when was this show shownagain i though it must at least be like 10 years ago
    "You don't marry someone you can live with - you marry the person who you cannot live without."
    All-Time Best Series- My Date With a Vampire 2
    All-Time Best Actress- Joey Meng

I think I liked Gilbert from the start because there were good reasons for his flaws, and he actually improved on them and took care of his whole family, but Steve's development seemed quite static all the way thru. HE was too "perfect" to begin with and I thought he wasn't.

Sometimes I just wished Amy left him for Gilbert, but oh well!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Summary of part II:

_______________________________SPOILER_________SPO ILER______________

Sheren, Amy and Gilbert went to Guangzhou to collect the money from a man that owed them way back. Gilbert and his best friend were rob and because they cursed at the owner of a bar, one of the most powerful and well known woman at the time, they got throw in jail. Amy, Sheren and the uncle worked on a plan to save the men. Gilbert's friend thought of a plan that could help them escape, it worked (by complaining about the hard condition and the worse food in jail). They met Amy, Sheren and the uncle at the bus station. Gilbert did not want to go back home empty handed, he lost the money, and he wanted to return home with the money he had lost. Amy told him: “we, the Fong family has farm land, we can farm our land and live off of our foods, no need to worry about starving to death.” He told her: “my family own a fabric factory and a wine company, we are not farmers, we are the landlord so I will work hard and gain back our status…”- he headed for the city. Amy was touch by what she heard, agreed to stay. Sheren stay also. Now, Sheren realized how hard it must be to leave her daughter at home. She realized her mother’s pain. The two women could not find a suitable job. They both work at a construction. Sheren was very upset with the wages and the condition at the new job, she argued with the boss, both got fire. They met Gilbert; he was working for a rickshaw company. Gilbert agreed to move in with his sisters. One day, as he was passing by a fashion shop (which owned by his enemy), he figured out a way: to use the fabric of that store and make clothing with it since his sisters are expert at sewing. They sold clothes in a nearby market. One night, Gilbert tricked his sisters so that he could eat the bigger piece of chicken. They lived like a family, he care for her a lot. When she was sick, he bought her cold medicine and offered to take her home. When their apartment was taken by a group of businessmen, they were force to relocate. Amy hurt herself when she stuck her palm in the machine. They did not have a place to stay so their friend, Kim, let them stay at her place. Kim was also the person that put Gilbert in jail. Together, with Kim’s help, they open a small business. Gilbert discovered the new pants. Only Amy took his idea seriously, he admired her for that. Then the world accepted his idea. Gilbert and Amy want to open their business to other cities such as shanghai… As they walked side by side in a small market, he fell for her. He realized his feeling as he held her hair, when he accidentally got sugar candy on her hair. He quickly stopped what he was doing and looked at her. Then on the day the newspaper reporters came and interview the Fong family, Gilbert secretly bought a necklace for Amy. He gave it to her on the last night. The necklace, he told himself: he only gives it to the one he loves. She did not wear it however; she put it in her wallet. The story got interesting when Gilbert fought a robber for her and found his gift in her wallet....Then they came back to see the father, who is marrying another wife. Gilbert was very disappointed in his father’s action but later accept the new wife and called her: aunt. The wedding took place; other people asked Gilbert when would he find his lover. He smiled secretly. That night he thought of Amy. The next morning, his mother forced Amy to ask him who he is in love with. Before that, he told his mother that he has a girlfriend, she asked him who? He said: never mind. Then Amy went and asked him about his lover. Ironically she did not get the clue he gave her. As he was going to tell her, she went dizzy and almost collapse, he was worried and did not reveal his feeling because he was shy. The next morning they got back to Guangzhou. Sheren knew Gilbert’s feeling. She was not sure but she kept on hinting it. The way she looked at him revealed that she knew something was going on between him and Amy. Sheren and Amy did not get along, they argued on the way back to the city. Gilbert picked Amy’s side so Sheren was unhappy. Then the war came. Then the business partners tricked Sheren. Sheren wanted to move out when she found out that Steve was not in love with her ever since he knew Amy’s personality…. She knew that when she read Steve’s diary. This diary was brought home from Steve’s friend. This friend was in love with Amy also. He admitted his feeling toward her to Gilbert. Gilbert was not happy. Gilbert saw how Amy cared for this new friend, he was furious. Gilbert went drunk and confessed to her. She ran out of the room and refused to talk to him the next morning. He went away on his business trip to hide from her. Then surprisingly he got a letter from her when he was working far away, and the story continued onto part III…
    Last edited by nonono; 07-07-06 at 02:35 PM.

a summary of this was on one of Amy's site:
    http://amychansauman.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by ice_brakerz
    hey when was this show shownagain i though it must at least be like 10 years ago
    Yup, this show is from 1996.

I am just watching it now!haha

I was tired of the series now, so I went back and chose this one. I liked it because I was always singing the theme song at the karoke. The song is really good, and it really fits the series itself.

As for Gilbert. It feels like he is the main characters. The audience watches him grow up from a rich kid, who just cares about his hobbies, and is always fighting with his father, to a poor man, with nothing.

charbydis is right, there was a reason for his flaws, and it's these old dramas that keep you following the stories of growing pains. These are the dramas that i miss the most. I hope there will be some drama like this from TVB or TVB NOW!!!!

have you seen Fated Love and Love in a Miracle (both starred Amy Chan and Steve Ma)?

Quote Originally Posted by nonono
    yuck, hated steve in there. Love gilbert to the bone . Wish he ended up with Amy, but what a disappointed ending. If you love the show, don't watch part III. In the original script, gilbert's character supposely ends up with Amy, but then the audience thought that steve is her best match, the director changes the script, and the last part was added in.
    I looove Gilbert Lam a lot. He was the reason I watched this series. And then I like Amy Chan too. Don't know why, but I never care for Steven Ma's character.

Quote Originally Posted by thythy View Post
    I think this series is one of the best that ATV produced.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/thythy_/TGOD01.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/thythy_/TGOD02.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/thythy_/yan_photo_10.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/thythy_/yan_photo_2.jpg')
    This is an amazing series, long, but good.

Amy Chan and Gilbert Lam, THUMBS WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY UP!

Excellent series, I've just recently bought it, since I loved it when I was yuonger. Now, I get to rewatch it as many times as I want. I cannot wait until it comes in!

I really hope Amy and Gilbert can work together in a series where they'll end up together.

They actually looked cute together in The Heroine of Yang.

Miss AMY CHAN so much, I want her to act more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Linh-e-Pooh View Post
    This is an amazing series, long, but good.

Amy Chan and Gilbert Lam, THUMBS WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY UP!

Excellent series, I've just recently bought it, since I loved it when I was yuonger. Now, I get to rewatch it as many times as I want. I cannot wait until it comes in!

I really hope Amy and Gilbert can work together in a series where they'll end up together.

They actually looked cute together in The Heroine of Yang.

Miss AMY CHAN so much, I want her to act more often.
    amy n gilbert are supposed to act in a drama series (yu fu you shu) where they are a married couple. in the show, amy found out gilbert has another girlfriend and they broke up. but in the end, they end up together again. it's supposed to be a comedy and it's supposed to be up by now. but but but... atv cancel the the drama. and that's sad. =(
    Stop piracy!
    Support original!

Quote Originally Posted by allison/ally View Post
    have you seen Fated Love and Love in a Miracle (both starred Amy Chan and Steve Ma)?
    yes yes yes.... i prefer love in a miracle. =)
    Stop piracy!
    Support original!

Quote Originally Posted by jparadize View Post
    yes yes yes.... i prefer love in a miracle. =)
    I prefers Fated Love. Enjoyed all 3 series (Good Old days, Love in A Miracle & Fated Love) by Amy & Steve. Perfect couple!
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*