Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hana Yori Dango Jdrama...

I like Meteor Garden because the guys look better for their parts. Doumyouji Tsukasa's curly hair in HYD doesn't look good on him. It made him look like Michael Jackson somewhat. But the cast in HYD are better actors than F4.

I've watched about seven episodes of HYD so far and I have to say, without hesitation or doubt, that it is FAR better than MG. (Comparison is inevitable, so please don't tell me not to compare!)

Don't get me wrong, I loved MG to bits when I watched it, and I still love it, but unfortunately HYD has tarnished my love for MG. HYD is what MG should have been, but wasn't. Great direction, fantastic camera shots, beautiful cinematography, excellent sound, wonderful set design, and...finally and thankfully, GOOD acting!

I was shocked when I first stumbled across HYD, I couldn't believe that someone actually had the guts to remake MG. I was further horrified by the pictures of Matsumoto Jun (so skinny and ugly!), but since people were saying how great it was, I decided to give it a go. And my oh my was I ever glad to say that I was wrong.

Inoue Mao is a revelation as Tsukushi - cute and sweet, yet sassy and daring. She gives Tsukushi a completely different feel from Da S. Although I really hate 'kawaii-ness', I adored her from the start.

What can I say about Matsujun? I must have been blind to think he was ugly! What he lacks in height and build he totally makes up for in acting and charisma. I didn't like him in Ep. 1, preferring to remain loyal to Jerry, but after Ep. 3 I was hopelessly gaga over him. He played Domyouji so well that he has replaced Jerry as Domyouji in my mind.

As for Oguri Shun, I still prefer Zaizai. There were some character issues about Rui that I didn't like...he was odd. But no matter, a good performance too. Akira and Soujirou weren't much to look at, but then, I was never very interested in them, so they don't matter. The actresses for Tsubaki (Nanako) and Shizuka were breathtakingly gorgeous and gave solid performances.

The other thing that I really enjoy about HYD (aside from Mao and Jun) is the flawless set design. You could understand how wealthy those school kids were. In MG, maybe because of low budget, their clothes looked cheap and there wasn't much difference between Shancai and her college mates, but in HYD, you can see the difference from the start. The mansions, flashy cars and designer products are amazing.

The soundtrack is excellent. The music sounds very Stepford-Wives (or Harry Potter as people say, but I haven't watched HP), but suits the show well. 'Wish' and 'Planetarium' are great songs to enjoy.

I can't praise HYD enough. Even though there ARE negatives..such as only 9 episodes and the lamest, corniest, most unbelievable story of the APPLE (I can't believe they put it in...it's the stupidest thing I ever heard - my brain was practically going numb! Rich kids, you seriously need to be taught the facts of life), and there aren't as many lovely scenes between Tsukasa and Tsukushi as DMS and Shancai (and Zaizai isn't in it...bad!), it's a Grade A show and this is coming from a very skeptical person.
    "Surely you and I are beyond speaking when words are clearly not enough." Edmund Bertram in Mansfield Park

School of Zhao Wei

Quote Originally Posted by glittergem
    I've watched about seven episodes of HYD so far and I have to say, without hesitation or doubt, that it is FAR better than MG. (Comparison is inevitable, so please don't tell me not to compare!)

Don't get me wrong, I loved MG to bits when I watched it, and I still love it, but unfortunately HYD has tarnished my love for MG. HYD is what MG should have been, but wasn't. Great direction, fantastic camera shots, beautiful cinematography, excellent sound, wonderful set design, and...finally and thankfully, GOOD acting!

I was shocked when I first stumbled across HYD, I couldn't believe that someone actually had the guts to remake MG. I was further horrified by the pictures of Matsumoto Jun (so skinny and ugly!), but since people were saying how great it was, I decided to give it a go. And my oh my was I ever glad to say that I was wrong.

Inoue Mao is a revelation as Tsukushi - cute and sweet, yet sassy and daring. She gives Tsukushi a completely different feel from Da S. Although I really hate 'kawaii-ness', I adored her from the start.

What can I say about Matsujun? I must have been blind to think he was ugly! What he lacks in height and build he totally makes up for in acting and charisma. I didn't like him in Ep. 1, preferring to remain loyal to Jerry, but after Ep. 3 I was hopelessly gaga over him. He played Domyouji so well that he has replaced Jerry as Domyouji in my mind.

As for Oguri Shun, I still prefer Zaizai. There were some character issues about Rui that I didn't like...he was odd. But no matter, a good performance too. Akira and Soujirou weren't much to look at, but then, I was never very interested in them, so they don't matter. The actresses for Tsubaki (Nanako) and Shizuka were breathtakingly gorgeous and gave solid performances.

The other thing that I really enjoy about HYD (aside from Mao and Jun) is the flawless set design. You could understand how wealthy those school kids were. In MG, maybe because of low budget, their clothes looked cheap and there wasn't much difference between Shancai and her college mates, but in HYD, you can see the difference from the start. The mansions, flashy cars and designer products are amazing.

The soundtrack is excellent. The music sounds very Stepford-Wives (or Harry Potter as people say, but I haven't watched HP), but suits the show well. 'Wish' and 'Planetarium' are great songs to enjoy.

I can't praise HYD enough. Even though there ARE negatives..such as only 9 episodes and the lamest, corniest, most unbelievable story of the APPLE (I can't believe they put it in...it's the stupidest thing I ever heard - my brain was practically going numb! Rich kids, you seriously need to be taught the facts of life), and there aren't as many lovely scenes between Tsukasa and Tsukushi as DMS and Shancai (and Zaizai isn't in it...bad!), it's a Grade A show and this is coming from a very skeptical person.
    I pretty much agree what u said.. tho, I still like Zai zai as teh Hua Ze Lei.. but i think in HYD, the portrayaly was more accurate. It was pretty obvious that Rui loved Shizuka all along... in MG, it made ZZ really have a crush on Shan cai.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

overall, is this better than meteor garden and it is worth watching?

well, if u like pretty boys.. maybe not..

But good acting,good humor, etc.. yeah definetly see

i've just finished this dorama and i thought this dorama better than Meteor Garden. but i still feel strange for both actors in MG and this dorama who potrait Rui Hanazawa, their can't potrait Rui's character well as like in manga. i still feel something missing from Rui.

Default yeah yeah! hana yori dango SSOO NICE!!

yeah yeah! though i just watched the first episode and is in the meantime of getting episode 2, i gotta put 2 thumbs up for it. The acting and cinematography is so much better! The opening scene whereby the kinda music for enchanted palaces or sth magical (to me) was played.. was so special and cool! i just love it... one bad thing... the boys are short... ahha.... the girls are almost on par with them. This is one part whereby meteor garden's F4 wins! Height haah...

Too sad.. and too bad... jap people are mostly smaller-sized.
    "Laugh as much as you can." :
    "Follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you are going to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs.

Rui's behaviour in HYD was really bizarre to me. On the whole I think HYD was a very entertaining drama thanks to credible performances turned in by the male and female leads. Matsujun makes up for his lack of stature and looks by delivering an emotionally charged performance.

Default some queries...

mmm... i'm now at episode 4, whereby makino and tsukasa went for a date and tsukasa waited in the heavy downpour for a few hours...

i suddenly felt real weird, like i wasn't follow the story at all. When did Makino's detest for him dissipate and she started to accept him better? I realized there weren't any scenes or part of the show where they show their attraction for each other? so i was kinda bemused when I felt that there was a missing piece somewhere in front...

so i'd be really grateful if anyone could say something about this "missing part" or was it me who missed a impt part... I mean, the kiss at the Toudou girl's party was... really out-of-point? to me... cos i thought that was at a ship party whr they were playing a game...

but i do LOVE THE SHOW! HAHA.. the cinematography's great, like i've mentioned in my previous post...
    "Follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you are going to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs.

well Tsukasa loved her ever since she punched the lights out of him.. and from there he wanted to ask her out.

and for Tsukushi, well she hated him.. but when she saw him crying when Rui left, she felt that he was still just a lil boy who wanted loved.. i guess it was more pity.. but it gradually fell to love.

I mean, it is only 9 episodes.. hard to put every scenes in with such a condensed period

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    well Tsukasa loved her ever since she punched the lights out of him.. and from there he wanted to ask her out.

and for Tsukushi, well she hated him.. but when she saw him crying when Rui left, she felt that he was still just a lil boy who wanted loved.. i guess it was more pity.. but it gradually fell to love.

I mean, it is only 9 episodes.. hard to put every scenes in with such a condensed period
    Exactly Sugar! It's only 9 episodes! Hahaha I love HYD so much! I actually watched this J-Drama first and because I love HYD so much I had to watch the anime. The anime made me love HYD even more! I'm now the proud owner of the anime DVD set plus the entire manga series! Hahahaha! I might buy the j-drama but then again I can always rewatch it on youtube.

The j-drama made some changes but there are some parts from the manga that they did include and the anime didn't.

I always wondered why Domoyoji and Makino never call each other by their first name but now I think if they keep calling Tsukasa!!! Tsukushi!!! HYD would be like the other anime series i.e. Inuyasha with the main characters calling each other's name every minute. Plus their name kinda sounds the same.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by yinyeksin
    i've just finished this dorama and i thought this dorama better than Meteor Garden. but i still feel strange for both actors in MG and this dorama who potrait Rui Hanazawa, their can't potrait Rui's character well as like in manga. i still feel something missing from Rui.
    Haha I agree! Although, the curly hair doesnt quite fit him well.

Man, I've seen some game shows with Jun starrs on, it's so funny. I think theres one where a co-star, one of the F4 had to act out a break up scene with Jun and its so funny. Hahaha. You'll find them on youtube.com.

Everyone should check this music video out! It blends the j-drama and anime scenes pretty well with the song from the j-drama version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r76FcwbvzHY
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 03-31-06 at 10:59 AM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

*steals Suet Seung's HYD collection*

:

I really loved this series.. i am conteplating on buying this series tho.....

and yeah, as a confession. the first trailer i saw of this series.. i was totally shocked.. I didn't think the F4 looked good at all compared to the Taiwan. However, after watching it, this is much better than meteor garden, especially in terms of acting. I like Jun's portrayal of Tsukasa..much better acting skills than Jerry. AT some parts, Jun can look raelly goofy..and some parts, really evil.

I can't forget the face when he goes to the evil girl , " Don't make me mess up your face so bad that even surgery can not fix it." scary!

I loved the elevator scene where Tsukushi fell down and Tsukasa had to help her... she couldn't decide whether to reach for his hands or scream at the dirty hands ( since he was urinating)

Jun Matsumoto is quite charming on screen i think. I only watched 3 dramas with him tho. Gokusen, HYD, and Kimi Wa Petto.. was watching Kindaichi files tho

*steals Suet Seung's HYD collection*

:

I really loved this series.. i am conteplating on buying this series tho.....

and yeah, as a confession. the first trailer i saw of this series.. i was totally shocked.. I didn't think the F4 looked good at all compared to the Taiwan. However, after watching it, this is much better than meteor garden, especially in terms of acting. I like Jun's portrayal of Tsukasa..much better acting skills than Jerry. AT some parts, Jun can look raelly goofy..and some parts, really evil.

I can't forget the face when he goes to the evil girl , " Don't make me mess up your face so bad that even surgery can not fix it." scary!

I loved the elevator scene where Tsukushi fell down and Tsukasa had to help her... she couldn't decide whether to reach for his hands or scream at the dirty hands ( since he was urinating)

Jun Matsumoto is quite charming on screen i think. I only watched 3 dramas with him tho. Gokusen, HYD, and Kimi Wa Petto.. was watching Kindaichi files tho
    Oh Sugar you're so evil but not very clever, I've got my HYD collection in a magic binding spell that way no one can steal it from me and the one who attempts to steal it will face a horrible fate or be cursed with bad luck. So hahha...

that explains why i've been getting bad luck

thanks so much... maybe it wasn't as abrupt as i thought it was... maybe i just was too picky about details haha....

I thought the male lead was ugly!!! The guy that play Rui? was better looking. Well I'm just up2 episode 4. I like how it's fast pace

Quote Originally Posted by xAnax
    I thought the male lead was ugly!!! The guy that play Rui? was better looking. Well I'm just up2 episode 4. I like how it's fast pace
    I wouldn't say MatsuJun is ugly... he just doesn't look his best in curly hair mode. I like him best in his normal hair look, another pretty boy from Johnny Jimusho, they've like an endless supply of pretty boys. Which always make me wonder... how come the producers of Hana Yori Dango didn't cast Johnny boys as the other F4 members. Other than Oguri Shun (Rui) and MatsuJun (Doumyoji), the other two are really... um, not very good looking.

I agree, curly hair just isn't very becoming on Matsujun. Anyway I thought he's a way more competent actor than Oguri Shun. Reckon the producers didn't cast other boys from Johnny's Jimusho 'cos Akira and Sojiro were minor characters in the drama. Afterall, it wouldn't be difficult for Johnny's to get their boys into a drama if they so wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    I agree, curly hair just isn't very becoming on Matsujun. Anyway I thought he's a way more competent actor than Oguri Shun. Reckon the producers didn't cast other boys from Johnny's Jimusho 'cos Akira and Sojiro were minor characters in the drama. Afterall, it wouldn't be difficult for Johnny's to get their boys into a drama if they so wanted it.
    haha... i agree too... i tot he was not that appealing at first. but his acting skills sure made me feel he's charismatic and i can't complain about his acting skills... Mm... think oguri shun has tried his best. I think hanazawa rui's character is really hard to portray. He's just SSSOOO SPECIAL! But there's something weird i feel whenever i see oguri shun acting as rui ha. Cos it's like his first sentence will make me feel that he's not natural enough, but then his following actions or the way he says his lines or i should say, as the show progresses and i'd feel hanazawa rui somehow... weird right? aha

and I really like Makino in that show. It's very seldom that a girl will like the lead girl in a show that much. Cos I think she's a really great actress and she just manipulates my emotions as I watch the show... All in all, they are very great actors with exceptional skills and it's absolute pleasing and enjoying to watch this show. Ah! I'm in bliss. Too bad it's too short! Only 9 episodes, and I'm up to the 7th.. Boo...