Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of the Condor Heroes 98

I also prefer separate actors and actress like goofy said.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Last year, I rented this series by accident, I thought it was the '95 version (TVB.) I was looking forward to watching Carman and Louis, and I saw Fann and Christopher. Fann does not have the look I imagined XLN to have. Chris is a bit better. But I don't like them overall. I should have known, it was called, "Than Dieu Tai Xuat." Yang Pei Pei really really ticks me off changing the name of the series so no one actually what they're getting themselves into. I also wasted money on "Dong Phuong Bat Bai." Which I thought was a different series but it turned out to be XAJH.

Ah, I think you're either thinking of another version of ROCH (probably the Taiwanese one) or saw another version of it cause Yang Pei Pei had nothing to do with TCS's ROCH 98. She's responsible for Richie Ren's version, which was the most brutal ROCH ever!

Originally posted by it'sme
    well, you're "someguy," so if you're a "guy," how would you find richie ren attractive unless you're G A Y. even though you can tell a handsome guy from an ugly guy, you're still not a girl (or are you?), so you dont' know what a girl thinks when she looks at him or a guy.
    Yes, you're right. I could never tell if a guy is handsome or not. I can only tell if that guy stands out (like Arron Kwok or Tom Cruise / Brad Pitt).

However, I have heard from quite a few girls stating that Richie Ren is ugly, but I have also heard from quite a few girls (one of them was my ex-Taiwanese classmate) stating that he's very handsome.

I don't really care to be honest, but him as YG is not to my liking. He'll probably be KJ and YK (and probably HR too) in the next LOCH by that moron, YPP!!!
    No longer walking amongst the living...

Don't waste your money by renting ROCH TCS version. I strongly recommend you to buy VCD of ROCH 84 with Andy Lau and Idy Chan as the main casts. This is definitely the best ROCH forever.

Originally posted by Thai guy
    Don't waste your money by renting ROCH TCS version. I strongly recommend you to buy VCD of ROCH 84 with Andy Lau and Idy Chan as the main casts. This is definitely the best ROCH forever.
    Personally I don't think TVB 84 with andy Lau and idy chan or the latest with Louis Koo great because both adaption make changes to the story.

TVB 84 had many mess up lines from Andy Lau. He really was fresh during those days... but lucky he works hard to improve his acting to wher he is today.

As for the 95 version (i think), we have a good script but they goof it up with little things like when Yang Guo use a mask... it wasn't a steal mask hehe but they had him with a steal mask and all I can think of is Phanton of the Opera or Black Mask dude...

The Taiwanese version is okee. I don't mind it but it has a lot of problem too. as well as the Sing version.

So far I haven't see a perfect version yet... hopefully CCTV will make one soon
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Talking

Haha...people really don't like this '98 version of ROCH...can't wait for the CCTV version whenever it comes out.
    Richie Ren's version is called "Dai Ung Anh Hung Truyen" in Viet, and the Xiao Long Nu in there just happens to wear all black when its traditional for Xiao Long Nu's to wear all white.
    **~~Swordmaster87~~**

They were showing the Singapore ROCH 98 in HK on late night TV some time ago.

I thought it was quite good actually. Although Fann Wong's acting isn't too great, the sets and costumes looked beautiful.

The songs are good too. Good fighting sequences too. Much better than standard HK productions. (The Singapore Condor looks quite realistic actually.)
    'The true enemy has not yet shown his face'- The Godfather

Just one more comment about this series.

The actress who played Huang Rong was pretty hot!

Originally posted by Corleone
    Just one more comment about this series.

The actress who played Huang Rong was pretty hot!
    That's He Yongfang. I think she's from Suzhou (?) even though she stays in Singapore.

She seems to have quit from showbiz or something. Dunno. Haven't seen her for a looooooooooooooooooong time. x.x

Originally posted by Guo Xiang
    That's He Yongfang. I think she's from Suzhou (?) even though she stays in Singapore.

She seems to have quit from showbiz or something. Dunno. Haven't seen her for a looooooooooooooooooong time. x.x
    My Singaporean friend says that she now owns a shop in Singapore selling chinese cultural products like furniture, flower pots etc...

Her husband works in the IT industry apparently...

My Singaporean friend says that she now owns a shop in Singapore selling chinese cultural products like furniture, flower pots etc...

Her husband works in the IT industry apparently...
    I hope she's doing well. I've missed her.

You can go to her shop and visit her.

Its at this place called Paragon Mall or Paragon Shopping Centre at Orchard Road. Sorry, I don't know Singapore too well.

You can go to her shop and visit her.

Its at this place called Paragon Mall or Paragon Shopping Centre at Orchard Road. Sorry, I don't know Singapore too well.
    Gaaah?! I'm not her friend personally so that's going to be awfully weird and awkward. ^^()

Originally posted by Guo Xiang
    Gaaah?! I'm not her friend personally so that's going to be awfully weird and awkward. ^^()
    Ok then, next time when you 'happen' to be in the area, just drop in and see her.

You can always just pretend to buy something from her shop and then ask her innocently 'are you on TV'?

Oh my. Good idea though.

my friend really really wants this series, but i checked on tigercool, 1088, yesasia and they dont' have it, anyone know where to buy it plz?

Originally posted by Tieu Cao Cao
    I'm watching it right now....and so far I don't like it....there just doesn't seem to be much connection/chemistry between the characters....I think the beginning of the series went by too fast and I couldn't see much chemistry between XLN and Yang Guo's characters yet. Also, not much between Yang Guo and Guo Jing either......

I do like some of the supporting casts though....but I'm pretty sure I'm still going to like ROCH84 a lot better.....or even ROCH95...
    The saying goes, "A prophet is rejected in his home town". Most Singaporeans cannot stand Fann Wong and Chris Lee hehe.

i doubt that is true..
    I more so believe that the bigger a star is, the more haters there will be for them.

I loved fann since I was 12, and now I'm already 20 however, there is still no change in how much i like her

I do admit that this series was rather horrid though. It is one of the only 2 fann series that I never finished watching.
    Condor heroes and Xiao Ao Jiang Hu.. That can probably be explained by the horrid standards of wu xia produced in Singapore. nothing to do with fann at all.

I don't know. I've watched this, and I've watched ROCH 95 at around the same time. I prefer this ROCH to the "critically acclaimed" ROCH 95. This ROCH is not as bad as people want others to think. It is not perfect (Fann Wong's expressionless face, the spinning camera works during fight scenes, for example), but ROCH 95 is worse, with most of the actors and actresses miscasted IMO. IMO, many people, especially locals, have this bias that anything produced by Singapore must be rubbish, and everything produced by TVB is heavenly. I still remember people lambasting the theme song for being "too modern", but praising ROCH 95's theme song when it is just as "modern".

Originally posted by fyp
    I don't know. I've watched this, and I've watched ROCH 95 at around the same time. I prefer this ROCH to the "critically acclaimed" ROCH 95. This ROCH is not as bad as people want others to think. It is not perfect (Fann Wong's expressionless face, the spinning camera works during fight scenes, for example), but ROCH 95 is worse, with most of the actors and actresses miscasted IMO. IMO, many people, especially locals, have this bias that anything produced by Singapore must be rubbish, and everything produced by TVB is heavenly. I still remember people lambasting the theme song for being "too modern", but praising ROCH 95's theme song when it is just as "modern".
    It is easy to use bias to argue your point but really, the market is the best judge.

If Singapore's productions are really comparable, why is it so few online stores or brick and mortar stores sell the series?

Or even better, if Singapore's productions are really comparable, why is it that even pirated networks, such as BitTorrent, dun bother carrying the TV rips of Singapore series?

When no one wants it, even if it is for free, that is really the best way to see whether it is good or not hehe.
    Last edited by Guojing; 02-16-04 at 03:08 PM.

Originally posted by Guojing
    It is easy to use bias to argue your point but really, the market is the best judge.

If Singapore's productions are really comparable, why is it so few online stores or brick and mortar stores sell the series?

Or even better, if Singapore's productions are really comparable, why is it that even pirated networks, such as BitTorrent, dun bother carrying the TV rips of Singapore series?

When no one wants it, even if it is for free, that is really the best way to see whether it is good or not hehe.
    Sometimes, the market is not a good judge. For example, those boy bands are very popular, but are all of them really good? Marketing plays an important part. TVB is a large and rich corporation, whereas Singapore stations are small stations in a tiny country. Naturally, TVB has the power and money to market their products internationally furiously. Moreover, if you are Singaporean, you should know that Singapore's stations are not known to distribute their shows worldwide. They don't even produced VCDs of most of their shows for the local market, much less overseas!

Moreover, the thought that TVB = good has been ingrained in people's mind over the years. Yes, TVB productions were good, but can you really say that their standard have not dropped recently? Because TVB used to be good, people automatically assumed that a show is good whenever the word "TVB" is mentioned, no matter how badly casted, scripted and acted the show may be.