Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Also came across some info about her role in the upcoming Taiwanese movie "Xin Tian Sheng Yi Dui". I don't think YM plays the lead actress in this one. The lead actor is Vic Zhou, YM plays his ex-wife and mother to Xiao Xiao Bin (of "Autumn Concerto" fame). Seems like she'll be flying to Taiwan in mid-July to film her scenes.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

I think my favourites are the white/navy patterned one, and the pink/green/white patterned one...although she looks lovely in the plain blue one as well! I just wish her hair was the way it was in JCSS--I loved her styling in the plain blue qipao there better than these Ruyi ones. (Actually I think I saw a poster someone made for Ruyi using that pic of YM, it was perfect.)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Ps, I can't help but look back at some of YM's older pics (when she was still a mere teen) to see if there's really any so-called major facial difference between now & then:
    She still looked lovely in her qipao's back then! (Though I really don't like the frizzy hair there. >_<) But yeah looking at these, I don't really understand why people think she looks so much different. In the first 2 pics she definitely had wider cheeks/jaw area than now (also evident in her Liao Zhai pics). But the difference is easily explained by her teeth extraction + simply growing up. A lot of girls lose their "baby fat" in the cheeks as they grow older (this happened to my mom, she had much rounder cheeks/jaw area when she was in her teens/early 20s but now her face is quite narrow). Even now YM definitely does not have a sharp "guazi" face (compare with TLY)--when most girls do plastic surgery isn't that a typical thing to do (sharpen the face/chin). (Btw I'm not at all saying TLY got surgery since I'm 100% sure she is a natural beauty as well! Don't want any misunderstanding lol.)

As for the bottom pic (a bit older than her HFSJ pics I think) she honestly looks pretty much identical to now. A bit fresher/younger obviously but that's it...

Also came across some info about her role in the upcoming Taiwanese movie "Xin Tian Sheng Yi Dui". I don't think YM plays the lead actress in this one. The lead actor is Vic Zhou, YM plays his ex-wife and mother to Xiao Xiao Bin (of "Autumn Concerto" fame). Seems like she'll be flying to Taiwan in mid-July to film her scenes.
    Oh my! This sounds very interesting! 3 actors that can really act and that I like. Ooo, I just researched it and there's rumors that the lead actress is Ella from S.H.E. Wow, these 4 make an interesting combo Will be looking eagerly for this.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/6ca87451tw1dia02fcccpj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/6f595247tw1dia4rql76ij.jpg')

Her curls and bangs in that last pic are adorable, she looks like a doll.

Watching a recent interview of HG on a talk show makes me once again wish for another collaboration between HG/YM to make up for the CP3 disappointment...it's really too bad that the mess with TangRen means she won't work with their actors anymore. HG should get out of there like YH did, to give me some hope of them working together again in the future!

Well, at least her friendships with them have not been affected by these work-related conflicts--she has said she is still close with LSS and in his interview HG also said they're very good friends (and he wasn't just being polite either, since he was very frank about not being that close with LYF). He also paid her some compliments (pointing to a photo of him+YM from CP3, he commented "look at YM, she's gorgeous, and cute, and intelligent too!"). Their personalities seem very similar and compatible as well (just in a friendly way)--HG appears to a total prankster and HG himself said YM was the most mischievous/playful/fun girl (when the host asked him to choose between LYF/YM/Jin Sha). I will admit I was leaning towards a HG/YM pairing for a few years back in the day, for purely superficial/shallow reasons though--imagine how gorgeous their kids would be, seriously! They would beat out Nic Tse/Cecilia Cheung for best-looking celebrity pairing in my opinion! XD Nah just kidding, I do think they work best as just friends.
    Last edited by mango_cake; 06-17-11 at 07:19 PM.

Anyone watched "4 brothers of Peking" yet? I just went through the 1st episode and I'm appalled by the terrible editing. I felt as if I was watching this long trailer with scenes randomly cut off and inserted here and there. There seems to be a total lack of flow and coherence between events. Plus, I find the leading character (3rd brother) sooo annoying because of his very exaggerated acting.
    I watched the first two episodes and yes, the 3rd brother is pretty annoying. Not a big fan of the 2nd brother either. And Zhou Jie is always...bleh.

But I do like the 4th brother (always been my favorite) as I have a soft spot for adorkable characters. It's too bad he doesn't have a storyline with YM's character especially since Li Qian can get pretty annoying sometimes...>_>

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiagurl View Post
    Oh my! This sounds very interesting! 3 actors that can really act and that I like. Ooo, I just researched it and there's rumors that the lead actress is Ella from S.H.E. Wow, these 4 make an interesting combo Will be looking eagerly for this.
    Hmmm, I'm not a fan of Ella because her acting style can be pretty annoying at times. But oh well, I can just watch it for YM & Xiao Xiao Bin!!

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Watching a recent interview of HG on a talk show makes me once again wish for another collaboration between HG/YM to make up for the CP3 disappointment...it's really too bad that the mess with TangRen means she won't work with their actors anymore. HG should get out of there like YH did, to give me some hope of them working together again in the future!
    Agreed! I think out of all the male actors she's collaborated before, she looks most compatible with HG and vice versa. Looks and age aside, I think they do have a lot of chemistry together and make such a cute pair, be it sweet/bickering type romance (CP3) or serious/tragic type romance (Liao Zhai). In fact, I prefer the latter one, simply because their characters in there were a lot more likeable than CP3. I do hope we can get to see them work together on a movie again (more probable than TV drama since a movie has less chance of being produced/invested by Tang Ren and hence, they don't get to call the shots when picking the cast members ) Or best, HG just leaves TR - I'm sure that with his current fame and abilities, he'll be able to do just as well or even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    I watched the first two episodes and yes, the 3rd brother is pretty annoying. Not a big fan of the 2nd brother either. And Zhou Jie is always...bleh.

But I do like the 4th brother (always been my favorite) as I have a soft spot for adorkable characters. It's too bad he doesn't have a storyline with YM's character especially since Li Qian can get pretty annoying sometimes...>_>
    Yeah, 3rd brother is a fine example of overacting. Am neutral towards 2nd brother as he seems the type of actor who lacks screen presence and chemistry with his co-stars which is disappointing since he's going to be working with Yang Mi again in "Ming Yun Jiao Xiang Qu". I think 4th brother is really the most tolerable among the 4 though not that likeable either. I'll probably watch a couple more episodes for YM & the story before deciding whether it's worth continuing.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 06-18-11 at 01:35 AM.

Wise Fool

I do hope we can get to see them work together on a movie again (more probable than TV drama since a movie has less chance of being produced/invested by Tang Ren and hence, they don't get to call the shots when picking the cast members ) Or best, HG just leaves TR - I'm sure that with his current fame and abilities, he'll be able to do just as well or even better.
    I think TR is trying to expand into the movie industry as it seems they've lined HG up for a few movies of their already O_O.

Still, I don't think collaboration would be too difficult since Hu Ge has been participating in a lot of non-Tangren productions lately though. At this point, getting the media to stop trying to pair her up with FSF in every other project is probably the bigger obstacle than TR interfereing

embarrassed to say that i still have not watch Liao Zhai with ym and hg yet. i've seen tvb's Liao Zhai from the 90's and was fine with that, but i heard mainland's version is actually spooky and i cannot handle spooky. but i found the subbed version online more recently. maybe i'll just suffer my own nerves and watch this for ym and hg.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    At this point, getting the media to stop trying to pair her up with FSF in every other project is probably the bigger obstacle than TR interfereing
    LOL, that's so true!

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    embarrassed to say that i still have not watch Liao Zhai with ym and hg yet. i've seen tvb's Liao Zhai from the 90's and was fine with that, but i heard mainland's version is actually spooky and i cannot handle spooky. but i found the subbed version online more recently. maybe i'll just suffer my own nerves and watch this for ym and hg.
    I don't know what your level of tolerance for spookiness is but being a rather faint-hearted viewer myself, I found Liao Zhai (the one with YM & HG) together with the rest of the other Liao Zhai adaptations very mild in comparison to real thrillers. In fact, "Xiao Qian" ( the story which stars YM and HG) is probably the least spooky (more tragic & romantic with some very sweet scenes between the two) of all the stories which made up Liao Zhai 1. So you can skip the rest of the stories and just watch XQ since the stories are not connected in any way. Though you might like to watch "Hua Pi" (painted skin) too because I like it the best of all the stories in LZ1 but it is also the most spooky of the stories imo. But if you've watched the movie version of "Painted Skin" starring Zhou Xun & Vicki Zhao, I think you would have no problems sitting through the "Hua Pi" story as well

I actually find Liao Zhai stories more haunting, tragic & poignant, rather than spooky, thrilling or frightening.

Wise Fool

LOL, that's so true!
    Come to think of it, FSF has been hogging the two actresses that I've been hoping to see Hu Ge re-collaborate with...
    I think it's your job to go do something about it to free up their schedules

In any case, I think they missed each other again in the new movie 东成西就. But then again, that movie seems to be covered with a crapload of people anyway...
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 06-18-11 at 03:49 AM.

which movie is 东成西就?
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    which movie is 东成西就?
    It's a remake of a popular HK movie which stars a huge load of well-known HK & mainland actors. YM only makes a guest-appearance in the movie and has already finished filming her scene(s).

Was HG supposed to make an appearance in that movie too?

Wise Fool

Same here, I cannot stand horror movies because I get spooked really, REALLY easily. But while LZ is "spooky", it's more than within my limits. I actually only watched "Xiao Qian" and "Hua Pi" from LZ (been meaning to watch the others for years but never got around to it lol) but I'd definitely recommend them! And to be honest, the CGI was still pretty cheesy (not that I really minded) when they made LZ so you probably won't be scared. YM/HG were so much better in there than in CP3 (character-wise, storyline-wise, chemistry-wise...). I don't think I would've loved YM/HG together this much if I'd only watched CP3.

sunnysnow, keep us updated on how JCSS is! That's another series I've been meaning to watch (yikes my list is getting long!) but haven't gotten around to yet.

Am watching liao zhai right now. Ym and hg have great chemistry and they make a very gorgeous pair. Wish they did real wuxi a series together with great choreographed scenes instead of cheesy cgis.

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Her curls and bangs in that last pic are adorable, she looks like a doll.

Well, at least her friendships with them have not been affected by these work-related conflicts--she has said she is still close with LSS and in his interview HG also said they're very good friends (and he wasn't just being polite either, since he was very frank about not being that close with LYF). He also paid her some compliments (pointing to a photo of him+YM from CP3, he commented "look at YM, she's gorgeous, and cute, and intelligent too!"). Their personalities seem very similar and compatible as well (just in a friendly way)--HG appears to a total prankster and HG himself said YM was the most mischievous/playful/fun girl (when the host asked him to choose between LYF/YM/Jin Sha). I will admit I was leaning towards a HG/YM pairing for a few years back in the day, for purely superficial/shallow reasons though--imagine how gorgeous their kids would be, seriously! They would beat out Nic Tse/Cecilia Cheung for best-looking celebrity pairing in my opinion! XD Nah just kidding, I do think they work best as just friends.

wait didnt yang mi went on vacation with them? what happened?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by rinastah View Post
    wait didnt yang mi went on vacation with them? what happened?? lol
    Don't remember the details myself but it's something like, Karen from Tangren arranged for the CP3 cast to promote MengHuan ZhuXian...YM was originally going to participate as well but she was offered a separate video game promotion contract (for her alone), and her management company chose the other one (Tian Xia 2). (I think she could only do one because the two companies are competitors?) Anyways Karen was not happy and banned her from future Tangren projects I guess. There were also some nasty rumours about YM (don't remember the specifics), but despite the fact that the relations between TR and YM completely broke down, she seems to have maintained good relations with the TR actors (HG also publicly defended YM on his blog against some of the rumours during this time, forgot which ones).

Anyhow, apparently YM is recording a song for her upcoming horror movie. Here's a pic of her in the studio with singer Jane Zhang--it's quite a change seeing her in casual clothes and sneakers because most pics I see of her these days are either filming pics, her glammed up for events/awards shows, or photoshoots!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i52.tinypic.com/2libi2r.jpg')

Wow, Jane is short. Look how high her platforms are and she is the same height as yang mi who's in her sneakers. I thought ym couldn't sing? Will she just be the background vocalist?