Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Do we know if she has already filmed her scenes for Wang de sheng yan yet? So she will be playing a supporting character to Qin LAN and a newcomer?
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

I'm not too clear on that--I keep hearing conflicting info...it sounds YM has done at least costume fitting and maybe a few quick scenes already, but I don't know if she's finished. At any rate all along she was only supposed to do sort of a "cameo" in the film (but the media blew things out of proportion), so she will be a supporting character and probably won't spend too much time filming her scenes in there. Right now Ru Yi and Hua Pi 2 are definitely her focus, although apparently she is doing another cameo in some movie these days...

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Do you think during their Beijing date, they were well aware they were being photographed? They just seem to know they were being stalked. That's why I thought they weren't dating at first, because they seem to be in conspiracy together to play a prank on their fans. It's only with recent media events (especially the giant lilies bouquet presentation), I got totally convinced they are dating.
    Mango pretty much summed up my take on the Beijing dining photos controversy. I, too, had my doubts when these photos were released by Sina, but later crushed them after some research. I'll summarize what I heard. Warning: I'm a biased so you may not agree with me.

Facts:
    -FengMi's Beijing dining photos were released by Sina on February 12
    -During the airing of Gong, FSF spent most of his time in Hengdian filming Hou Gong with Ady An while YM stayed in Beijing to film Beijing Love Story with Li Chen and Chen SiCheng.
    -According FSF's weibo and also confirmed by his agent, he flew back to Beijing on February 9 and stayed for maybe 2 or 3 days before returning to Hengdian. I think the purpose of this Beijing trip was to do a Valentine's Day photoshoot with YM. Those paparazzi photos were most likely taken around this time.
    - Gong began airing on January 31 and finished on February 20.

Publicity Ploy Argument:
    YES
    - HunanTV and Yu Zheng are known to use similar tactics to promote their dramas
    - FengMi dined at a table next to a street window which allowed easy access for paparazzi to snap photos of them. Would celebrities who value their privacy be that negligent and openly dine like that?

NO
    - The paparazzi photos were released when HunanTV already aired more than half of the Gong episodes. If FengMi wanted to gain publicity for their drama, why would they wait to stage a publicity ploy so late into the drama and not earlier like right before the release?
    - FengMi, at that point, were already popular. No need to go through all that trouble to gain more attention.
    - Too early or no need for FengMi to garner attention for their later collaborations. Legend of the Military Seal was still in post production with no hint of being released yet. FSF has not signed on to star in Ming Yun either.
    -Aforementioned by Mango_cake, I doubt FengMi were truly aware of their newfound fame in early Feb. So they probably just ate at a table assigned to them by the server without much consideration. I've seen a lot of paparazzi photos of celebrities dining next to the street windows too. Not such a big deal.
    - It's so not in FengMi's character to stage the publicity ploy. Both are well-known workholics in showbiz and worked their way up from nothing to gain recognition. FSF seemed particularly offended by the media allegation that he was only playing around with his acting career because he came from a rich family and eventually would have to quit to take over his famiy business. For FSF, these rumors pretty much belittled all the years of hard work he put in his acting career. Why would he wait more than 10 years to stage a publicity ploy with YM to get fame? Why didn't he stage a ploy when he was working with Ady An and Huo Si Yan to get famous? Both of these actresses were equally as famous or arguably even more famous than YM before CP3/Gong.

Here are some comparison statistics someone put together:

YM - 12 movies + 30 TV series = 42 projects
    FSF - 11 movies + 50 TV series = 61 projects
    Hu Ge - in 5 movies + 15 TV series = 20 projects
    Liu Yi Fei - 8 movies + 5 TV series = 13 projects

These statistics are pretty debatable since each tv drama varies in the number of episodes and importance of actor/actress' roles in the projects are hard to measure. Regardless, you still get a general picture.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 07-10-11 at 10:58 PM.
    Need to stop being lazy...

FSF has been in...61 projects?! O_o Whoa...I know he's also a hard worker but that's a lot more than I thought! Although, he has been filming for longer than YM I guess (not counting her childhood projects of course). I can't believe I never watched any of his stuff till recently (MRXJ and Gong). (And man is HG ever lazy. :P Lol.) Even though I still don't understand why or how they got so famous from a terribly scripted drama like Gong (their chemistry is a big factor of course, but even then I'm a bit shocked by how the whole country seemed to instantly catch on), I really think both he and YM deserve every bit of success they have now, from all their hard work in the previous few years. It's not like HZGG (which Gong is often compared to)--although I think HZGG is 10x better than Gong, it was pretty much the first acting project for the main actors, so I don't feel as thrilled for their overnight fame as I do for FSF/YM's success.

Thanks for the timeline summary, JoleCole. I love their Valentine's Day photoshoot (I was annoyed by it at first--boy it's so weird going back to see all these pics/interviews/vids from the past few months with a completely different perspective than before! Things take on a whole new wonderful meaning when viewed through my newfound, rose-coloured FengMi glasses, hehe). Both of them had great styling in there--FSF looked especially good in his all-black suit and YM looked lovely as well. I hope they do another photoshoot together sometime! (Maybe to promote MingYun?) Just to add another thing for the "sitting by the window" argument...honestly doesn't everyone prefer window seats for the nicer view and being farther away from the crowd?

And actually I change my mind, if this happened around Feb 9 (for some reason I thought it was earlier), maybe this was indeed an actual "date", since I think they were likely a couple by YuanXiao (which was around Feb 17-ish?).

Edit: I just went back in this thread to find the post of FSF/YM's Valentine's Day shoot (halfway through p.177) and I almost died laughing at what a huge change of opinion has occurred! In particular the posts saying how could YM ever like FSF, since her idol is Nic Tse and FSF is so far off (e.g. your post munianci! #3533 ). And now here we are swooning over how similar FSF/Nic Tse are. LMAO... (JoleCole I definitely give you credit for this total 180 degrees change. )
    Last edited by mango_cake; 07-10-11 at 11:01 PM.

i still don't think they're similar. i've never found the bad boy image appealing, but it speaks a lot about nic's character that he stuck with cecilia despite the scandal with edison. the only similarities between the 2 men is their chivalry. otherwise, i find fsf's character more appealing, someone who's a hard worker, somewhat shy, and just all around a very nice guy. and i'm glad ym ended up with a guy like that.

speaking of which, what is ym doing now? surely she is done with promoting her new movie, right? i'm not into horrors or thrillers, so i won't be catching it, but i hope it is well received. anyone notice that after gong, fsf's career took off so much more than ym did? he's starring in much bigger productions whereas ym is doing cameos and supporting roles for big productions, and starring in series that aren't too appealing to me. =(

comparing ym's 42 projects to lyf's 13 projects...it just hits me hard. it's quite sad that ym has worked so much harder than lyf, has so much more talent and charisma than lyf, but has not met with much success compared to lyf. and when they both started, i thought ym was so much more beautiful than lyf too. wahhhh....=(

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/d/2005-06-23/U102P28T3D761148F326DT20050623193606.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/d/2005-06-23/U102P28T3D761147F326DT20050623193601.jpg')
    my favorite onscreen pairing...<3 i miss them together...please, please, i'm begging to the tv series gods, please let them star in another series together.
    Last edited by patricia n; 07-10-11 at 11:45 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Sometimes being a hard worker isn't enough. Especially in China where everything is based on connections and I certainly believe in luck. It's 90% luck and 10% talent. For YM and FSF, they worked hard and starred in many series but only now they are noticed and became famous. Gong was terribly written but it somehow appeal to the audience. I thought LYF was terrible as Little Dragon Girl but she got famous because of it. Sometimes one just have to be there at the right moment at the right time. Not fair but it's life.

Patricia n: you should check the "latest news" page of the FengMi blog for their latest whereabouts. I tried to update that as often as possible.

I'm absolutely in love with this photo. Can't help myself but swoon over FengMi I don't think I've ever seen both them hold each other this tight. YM is even putting her hand around FSF. LOL

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/72626680tw1dj1mcspr7wj.jpg')

Higher resolution version
    Need to stop being lazy...

I just noticed the news section of the blog--lmao at the "haircut" update! XD Thanks for keeping all the news so organized.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    i still don't think they're similar. i've never found the bad boy image appealing, but it speaks a lot about nic's character that he stuck with cecilia despite the scandal with edison. the only similarities between the 2 men is their chivalry. otherwise, i find fsf's character more appealing, someone who's a hard worker, somewhat shy, and just all around a very nice guy. and i'm glad ym ended up with a guy like that.

speaking of which, what is ym doing now? surely she is done with promoting her new movie, right? i'm not into horrors or thrillers, so i won't be catching it, but i hope it is well received. anyone notice that after gong, fsf's career took off so much more than ym did? he's starring in much bigger productions whereas ym is doing cameos and supporting roles for big productions, and starring in series that aren't too appealing to me. =(

comparing ym's 42 projects to lyf's 13 projects...it just hits me hard. it's quite sad that ym has worked so much harder than lyf, has so much more talent and charisma than lyf, but has not met with much success compared to lyf. and when they both started, i thought ym was so much more beautiful than lyf too. wahhhh....=(
    Somehow I keep doing mega-posts lately (because FengMi is just giving me so many feelings! *sob* I have to express them all! ^_^) but I'll try to keep it somewhat organized.

YM's new movie: sounds to be doing quite well in its opening weekend despite it being a low-budget production, thanks to the support of all her fans as well as the FengMi fans. (And also some FSF fans who apparently went to see it to support "FSF's girlfriend", lmao.) It's actually quite touching--I think a lot of people braved it despite being scared of horror movies, and some people even went to see it multiple times. YM thanked her devoted fans on her weibo for making her debut "starring" movie role such a success.

FSF vs YM's careers: I agree that FSF's career took off more than YM in the sense that YM was already semi-famous before Gong whereas FSF was much less known, so he made a bigger "leap" in his popularity. However I would say they are both equally famous/successful now. YM seems to always have a packed schedule and signs onto projects early on, so a lot of her recent projects I think she took on before Gong aired. Meanwhile a lot of FSF's recent projects he signed onto after his success from Gong (therefore he can get the maximum benefit from his sudden rise in popularity). Although really "White Vengeance" is the only major big-budget production that stands out from YM's work--and he himself was shocked to find out that the producer casted him in the major role of Xiang Yu. All his other projects are more or less on the same level as YM (well, half of them he is costarring in with her, lol). Once YM fulfills all her prior "commitments", I think she will have more chances to star in bigger productions thanks to her current fame. Of course it's hard to compare who is more "famous", but I wouldn't really mind even if FSF is more successful than YM now, because after all he is older and has been working longer; YM is still quite young. (Plus...they are practically one entity to me now, so his success is like her success and vice versa! It's all in one family right? kekeke...)

LYF vs YM: It's true, YM has had a much harder time with her success--LYF got famous through her connections, luck, and beauty. While I think based solely on outer appearance LYF and YM are both equally beautiful (definitely tops among Asian actresses), LYF lacks the charm, charisma, and versatility that YM exudes in her acting (plus YM's eyes are so much more "alive" I could just watch them forever XD). But although YM hasn't had such a smooth path, I think this leads her to feel more accomplished and proud of herself because every bit of her success is a direct result of her hard work, so it's more meaningful and makes everything worth it. I would argue that YM is also more respected in the industry because of this as well. So now that she is finally getting the recognition she deserves, I don't really mind what LYF is doing. (Also some people said LYF's acting has improved as well so I'm trying not to comment too much on that until I've seen her more recent projects.)

Nic vs FSF: you're right, they are really only similar in that they are both so chivalrous (a rare thing in this day and age), are both total gentlemen to their ladies, and aren't shy about having the whole world know how much they adore their girls. But I consider them similar based on this since it is one of their "defining characteristics" (well for me anyways; YM has also said the main reason she likes Nic so much is because he is such a good husband--actually it's a bit ironic that before, YM kept saying she thought Cecilia was so lucky and "admired" that she had such a great husband. Well, now I think YM is really the lucky one! XD I hope FengMi do not follow in Nic/Cecilia's footsteps years down the road though.) However, the other thing they have in common is I think Nic and FSF are both very hardworking men despite the fact that they come from rich families and don't need the money. (I'm not 100% certain of FSF's family background since he denies the rumours himself, but it sounds like he's only saying that because he wants people to focus on his acting not his family background.) Previously I did prefer Nic's more "badboy" persona, but FSF has changed my mind--I like the "good guy" persona now as well!

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Nic vs FSF: you're right, they are really only similar in that they are both so chivalrous (a rare thing in this day and age), are both total gentlemen to their ladies, and aren't shy about having the whole world know how much they adore their girls. But I consider them similar based on this since it is one of their "defining characteristics" (well for me anyways; YM has also said the main reason she likes Nic so much is because he is such a good husband--actually it's a bit ironic that before, YM kept saying she thought Cecilia was so lucky and "admired" that she had such a great husband. Well, now I think YM is really the lucky one! XD I hope FengMi do not follow in Nic/Cecilia's footsteps years down the road though.) However, the other thing they have in common is I think Nic and FSF are both very hardworking men despite the fact that they come from rich families and don't need the money. (I'm not 100% certain of FSF's family background since he denies the rumours himself, but it sounds like he's only saying that because he wants people to focus on his acting not his family background.) Previously I did prefer Nic's more "badboy" persona, but FSF has changed my mind--I like the "good guy" persona now as well!
    YES!! Exactly!!! FSF's chivalry and devotion is very much like Nic Tse's. However, I get the impression if FSF had his way, he would announce to the whole world that he & YM are dating. Nic Tse had no qualms about being open to the public about his relationship and subsequent marriage to Cecilia, despite warnings about a "fall in popularity". It looks like YM and their management companies are still holding back, but FSF can't help but display his love in all these sweeping gestures and adorable expressions

I think it's so silly. Didn't Nic become even more popular after he married Cecilia? And hasn't FengMi's popularity propelled both FSF & YM to greater stardom?

Except that I really don't want (at this time) to draw similarities between Nic-Cecilia and FengMi. Cecilia is acting like such a b*tch creating a very public mud-slinging war, and poor Nic is just taking it all in, refusing to make any needless comments (like his stupid bad dad Patrick). And it takes a lot for a man like Nic to take it all in.

Yang Mi has infinitely more class than her. Sure, she will sometimes bully FSF in a good-natured way (that's what we love about her, right? ), but is definitely the type of girlfriend/wife who will stand by her man.
    Last edited by munianci; 07-11-11 at 01:35 AM.
    My avatar is a tribute to the world's hottest stallions - Peter Ho, Kevin Cheng, Nic Tse.

Actually Nic didn't come from a rich family, well known, famous but certainly not rich. As a matter of fact, Nic at the age of 16, start acting to help pay off his dad's debt from a business failure. He was young at that time and was impertinent and was frozen by his management company. Nic had to swallow his pride and signed a ten years contract allowing his management to get quite a large percentage of his salary as fee. His story is really quite sad but he persevere. As his marriage to Cecelia, I don't think any one of us should choose side because frankly none of us knows them personally, only through gossips and rumors and as outsiders we don't know what really happen. So to judge either one of them based on what we read is shallow and unfair to either party.

YM's new movie: sounds to be doing quite well in its opening weekend despite it being a low-budget production, thanks to the support of all her fans as well as the FengMi fans. (And also some FSF fans who apparently went to see it to support "FSF's girlfriend", lmao.) It's actually quite touching--I think a lot of people braved it despite being scared of horror movies, and some people even went to see it multiple times. YM thanked her devoted fans on her weibo for making her debut "starring" movie role such a success.
    that's so cute. i hope the movie continues to do well on its own merit though.

i read on wuxiasociety.org that in lyf's new movie (chinese ghost story), her acting still sucks despite her claiming that her interpretation of her role will be more memorable than joey wong's. lol...i find that lyf has gotten more beautiful, but she hasn't gotten more humble. the same reviewer (who is less biased than her fans and anti-fans) mentions that the movie is still enjoyable despite her subpar performance. although the movie is decent and i used to like louis koo, i'll refrain from watching it as lyf has zero appeal to me. to be fair, i should watch her movies at some point to give her another chance. perhaps when i hear that she has truly improved in her acting, then i'll watch some of her movies.

jolecole, thanks! i will remember to check out your site for daily updates.

christinatran- i know life isn't fair. i just need to vent, and it gets more excessive when i see how unjust life can be. my complaints will never make a difference in the outcome of these stars lives, but it's nice to be able to point out injustice. at least ym is famous and i should be happy for her, for there are so many struggling artists who work equally hard but fail to meet with even a fraction of her success.

i hope her pre-gong commitment will be over soon so that she can move on to more promising projects. and please, please, yu zheng, i hope gong 2 is cancelled for ym's sake.
    Last edited by patricia n; 07-11-11 at 02:27 AM.

[QUOTE=
    christinatran- i know life isn't fair. i just need to vent, and it gets more excessive when i see how unjust life can be. my complaints will never make a difference in the outcome of these stars lives, but it's nice to be able to point out injustice. at least ym is famous and i should be happy for her, for there are so many struggling artists who work equally hard but fail to meet with even a fraction of her success.
    [/QUOTE]

I know what you mean because I feel the same way, when I see actors who worked very hard and talented doesn't get their due, and instead continue working obscurely, I can't help but get frustrated. Believe me, I watched for years how Gordon Lam tolled away at TVB playing small parts until finally TVB gave him a chance and boy did he shined. It's too bad he left TVB. The same for Joe Ma who I grew up watching playing small parts, in what we Cantonese people called ke le fe. I can't tell you how I feel when Joe Ma finally got his due. So yeah, please rant if it makes you feel better because I totally understand. It does makes one wonder though what is more important to succeed in the entertainment industry, hard work or connection. I guess an actors really needs both.

Wow, christina I had no idea about Nic's backstory (I don't really pay too much attention to the HK entertainment industry, actually...) but it makes me respect him so much! I don't know what's going on in his marriage right now either but I wish him happiness whatever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    that's so cute. i hope the movie continues to do well on its own merit though.

i read on wuxiasociety.org that in lyf's new movie (chinese ghost story), her acting still sucks despite her claiming that her interpretation of her role will be more memorable than joey wong's. lol...i find that lyf has gotten more beautiful, but she hasn't gotten more humble. the same reviewer (who is less biased than her fans and anti-fans) mentions that the movie is still enjoyable despite her subpar performance. although the movie is decent and i used to like louis koo, i'll refrain from watching it as lyf has zero appeal to me. to be fair, i should watch her movies at some point to give her another chance. perhaps when i hear that she has truly improved in her acting, then i'll watch some of her movies.
    Well, I really think it is just a low-budget horror movie (remember YM filmed this a while back when she wasn't as famous yet). How many horror movies actually do good at the box office? So it's hard to say it should do good on its own "merit", lol. :P It's impressive enough that a movie like this is doing so well (apparently even movie theatres and industry people are rather shocked by the box office results, some movie theatres are even adding more screening times). And honestly I'm not being biased when I say it is almost solely due to YM's influence, because there's no way so many people would be going to watch this kind of movie otherwise...

I never went to specifically find reviews of LYF's movie because I wasn't that interested in it, I just thought her acting improved because I read some comments that said her Xiao Qian was just as good (but in a different way) to YM's (who I absolutely adored). I was kind of skeptical but I was trying to keep an open mind...I guess those comments were written by LYF fans though.

Quote Originally Posted by munianci View Post
    And hasn't FengMi's popularity propelled both FSF & YM to greater stardom?

Yang Mi has infinitely more class than her. Sure, she will sometimes bully FSF in a good-natured way (that's what we love about her, right? ), but is definitely the type of girlfriend/wife who will stand by her man.
    I suspect YM wants to keep it secret because their relationship is already so high-profile and she doesn't want people to say they are faking their relationship to gain more publicity (there are already plenty of anti-fans who keep arguing this). And also so people will focus on her acting/work, rather than saying she got famous thanks to her love life. I don't know the details of what Cecilia has been doing but I definitely think YM will be a very devoted wife. Previously she has said in many interviews (even before the whole FSF thing) that if she meets the right man, she will give up her work and acting like Cecilia did to focus on family and be a good wife/mother (quite a surprise coming from her, since she is such a workaholic!). Although acting is her major focus right now, it seems like deep down she really does just wish for a loving husband and a happy family.

Actually, as JoleCole mentioned YM's weibo has always been very cryptic and hard to understand (unlike FSF's more straightforward/carefree style). However, recently she has been posting SO many cute, lovey-dovey things (not directed at anyone in particular but we can all guess...). The most recent one from today: she quoted another weibo "Let’s find some beautiful place to get lost", and added a comment "waiting/wishing for someone, to escape/get lost with together". (FSF, are you reading this?! Sounds to me like YM is slyly asking you to take her away somewhere nice!!! )
    Last edited by mango_cake; 07-11-11 at 03:10 AM.

It must be very difficult to conduct a relationship, much more a marriage, under such intense media scrutiny. It takes a huge dose of confidence for FengMi. So it looks to me that FengMi is really stable and comfortable with each other not to care less about the media attention and naysayers out there.

Here's a recent article from The Star in Malaysia (where I live) about poor Nic-Cecilia. Nic has been filming a movie where film location was KL, Malaysia. But I must say, I applaud poor Nic for keeping a stoic silence and brave front in the eye of the media storm. I only wish his dad stops talking to reporters. Aw my poor loverboy Nic, must be such a tough time for him now.

Jul 11, 2011
    Tse and Cheung meet to discuss divorce

Hong Kong actor Nicholas Tse (centre) is surrounded by media after arriving at Hong Kong airport from Malaysia. -- PHOTO: AP

CELEBRITY couple Nicholas Tse and Cecilia Cheung were seen having a discussion at their house in Hong Kong after news of their marriage being on the rocks was reported two months ago, China Press reported.

Tse rushed back to Hong Kong from Malaysia after completing his latest action movie Against War in Kuala Lumpur while Cheung was back after filming in China.

The couple was said to have had an hour-long talk on Friday while Tse also spent time with his sons Lucas and Quintus. Tse left and stayed at a service apartment. He refused to comment when approached by reporters.

It was learnt that the couple had reached an agreement on the distribution of their wealth as well as the joint custody of their sons. -- THE STAR/ANN
    Last edited by munianci; 07-11-11 at 04:33 AM.
    My avatar is a tribute to the world's hottest stallions - Peter Ho, Kevin Cheng, Nic Tse.

Here's some news on the horror movie, "Mysterious Island". It's a big surprise hit.
    http://news.hfhouse.com/html/110711/...711115230.html

Given FengMi's immense popularity now, hope they release that movie she did with him where he was an assassin character and she had those cute apple cheeks (can't remember the name).

So the latest news is her movie earned 24 million on the box office over the 3-day opening weekend. Honestly I am not too sure how this compares to North American box office numbers, because ticket prices are around 50-60 yuan in China (not the average $10 here) and there are also lots more people in China (although the large socioeconomical gap means a large proportion probably cannot afford the movies). But from the sounds of it this is a pretty impressive number (apparently there were actually 40% more showings on the second day due to its first-day success). It's sweet that so many of YM's celebrity friends supported her...there's FSF of course, but Qi Wei (who she became close friends with after filming MRXJ) also posted a cute photo of herself going to see YM's movie on her weibo.

I actually didn't expect this type of movie to do that well either...I definitely think this gives more hope to DHTHK being released. Before I just hoped the director would release DHTHK somehow, some way--whether it was on TV, DVD, or even just an online version. However now I think if they did decide to release it in theatres, it would probably do really well despite being an old, low-budget movie that can't compare to the ones coming out now. I mean, all these people who went to see YM's GDJH would probably go see DHTHK too, FengMi fans would be even crazier over it, then add in all of FSF's fans...plus the people who dislike horror movies would have no problem with DHTHK! After all they already put in so much work and money to film and produce it, plus they won't even have to spend much money on advertisement...come on, it's like guaranteed profit!

CP3 definitely had the worst YM pairing. >_< I think the problem was, the script was written so you simply aren't convinced that XJ/JT love each other. It's not a problem with the acting or chemistry since I know HG/YM can have fantastic chemistry together in all types of scenes due to Liao Zhai, plus I thought they did have cute moments and did a good job in the touching scenes (e.g. when JT was desperately trying to revive XJ after the fire). However, the scenes had no buildup of a solid love so they sort of felt "empty". Basically I kept getting the impression that XJ had a schoolgirl crush on JT while JT...ok actually I didn't understand JT's feelings at all, one moment he was annoyed at XJ the next it's like he kinda likes her, then he goes right back to being annoyed. Then suddenly *bam* they're in love??!!
    Agree! I think the weak and lousy development of the relationship between Jing Tian & Xue Jian in CP3 was an utter waste of YM & HG's potential chemistry and one of the major letdowns of the series. That being said though, I did enjoy the tiny Xi Yao & Fei Peng segment but a pity it was soo short!

On a side note, I really believe that the reason why "Gu Dao Jing Hun" (YM's latest movie) is doing well is mainly because she's one of the lead cast and that goes to show her popularity in China. I hope good potential film makers are taking note of this!
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 07-12-11 at 10:52 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    On a side note, I really believe that the reason why "Gu Dao Jing Hun" (YM's latest movie) is doing well is mainly because she's one of the lead cast and that goes to show her popularity in China. I hope good potential film makers are taking note of this!
    Well, she has a role in Painted Skin 2 with Vicky Zhao, Chen Kun & Zhou Xun, but I get the impression hers just be a guest/support role. I hope she gets to headline a big budget movie soon - movies pave the way to international stardom, not TV series which only gives regional stardom.

I think Tang Yan has managed to have a lead role in an A-list movie - Storm Riders with Ekin Cheng & Aaron Kwok. But I can't remember if YM has been in a big time movie until Painted Skin 2.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 07-12-11 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Well, she has a role in Painted Skin 2 with Vicky Zhao, Donnie Yen & Zhou Xun, but I get the impression hers will just be a guest/support role. I hope she gets to headline a big budget movie soon - movies pave the way to international stardom, not TV series which only gives regional stardom.
    But i generally enjoy tv series more so than movies. Now that ym has proven her star power i also hope she starts gettig cast in really good series and movies while she is still young

Just started watching JCSS (well only 12 min of the 1st episode) but sunnysnow you were right, the editing is so choppy and definitely feels more like I'm watching a trailer instead of an actual series because it keeps jumping around to different things. Oh well, perhaps this is like DMXN where the first few eps were pretty horrendous but then drastically improves afterward. I can't imagine they keep this bad editing throughout the whole series--it's probably more because there are so many characters in here (the 4 brothers + the 3 women they are paired with), each with their own storylines, so they're trying to introduce a bit of everyone all at once and this is the unfortunate messy result. >_< I think it might've been better if they just chose one storyline and then slowly added in the rest gradually, although maybe they thought that wouldn't be fair (make some characters seem less important)? I dunno.

Other complaint is 3rd brother is way too over-the-top (he was so much better as a serious-with-a-touch-of-mischievous character in the Detective Di Ren Jie prequel), and 2nd brother I don't find good-looking enough yet. (On another note, if it weren't similar enough that YM has a love triangle going on with 2 brothers in all of Gong/DMXN/JCSS, the parallels go right down to the older brother being super serious vs younger brother being super outgoing/mischievous, and YM liking the older brother while the younger brother suffers from unrequited love. Difference being, of course, that FSF pulls off his character way better than the DMXN/JCSS younger brothers (while Mickey He is worse), and YM does end up changing her affections in Gong in the end.) But wow, there are so many similarities between these series,
    click to show/hide spoilers
    apart from the brothers parallel, in both DMXN/JCSS, YM's character pretends to be a different person in order to get revenge for her murdered family members, and eventually fake-marries into her enemy's family to achieve this goal. Except in DMXN her character personality + maid storyline is more similar to Gong, whereas her JCSS character is more like Xue Yuan.

It's also annoying me how low-quality the YT episodes are (whereas Gong was super HQ, and DMXN was pretty good quality too). I'm gonna try to find a better version somewhere...
    Last edited by mango_cake; 07-13-11 at 01:08 AM.