Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/69b3b35dgw1dlwmsohkndj.jpg')

http://tv.letv.com/zt/bbjx/index.shtml
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://tv.letv.com/zt/bbjx/images/41.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://tv.letv.com/zt/bbjx/images/22.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://tv.letv.com/zt/bbjx/images/12.jpg')

A pic YM just posted on her TX weibo, of her during BTS MingYun filming:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i55.tinypic.com/nl1z6s.jpg')

A cute BTS video taken of YM during Gong 2 filming: while getting her hair fixed, YM has fun mockingly imitating either 4th prince or 8th prince...towards the end she realizes she's being filmed and it's pretty funny to see her do "shifty eyes" (like "how much of that did you get on camera..." lol ). http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/cazBvwiCpRQ/

Some bad news: so apparently, YM will not be participating in "Ting Feng Zhe" after all. I'm disappointed because this was the one movie I was actually quite looking forward to amongst her upcoming ones. Her company (Mei Ah) has decided to use a Taiwanese actress for the role instead...I didn't read into the specifics but it sounds like it once again has to do with the politics behind the scenes in the entertainment industry and best interests/gains for the company (this movie is produced by Mei Ah...I thought this kind of stuff would have ended now that she's more famous and successful, but apparently not). Most YM fans really dislike Mei Ah at this point because they've constantly made promises about what projects they have planned for YM (starting from when she signed with them), only to not follow through with them. Meanwhile, all her major projects so far are due to YM herself working to get them (a lot due to her own "networking"/getting to know people in the entertainment business), and not related to her company helping her with anything. I won't rant on about the details/examples, but Mei Ah has just continually benefited from the popularity/sucess that YM has earned herself (sounds like a pretty one-sided relationship to be honest).

According to some news I've read, her contract ends next year. Chances are she won't re-sign with them--even if it means she will not be participating in the two other Mei Ah movies planned for her next year (but at this point, fans point out that with this company, it's hard to say whether those will even go through regardless). Unfortunate that she's had bad luck with both of her previous management companies (recall the previous fiasco during the low point in her career that caused her to sign with Mei Ah instead of resigning with Rong Xingda in the first place), but hopefully, 3rd times a charm! It's nice (but also a bit sad in a way) to see that YM is still always so optimistic and hardworking despite these setbacks--her newest weibo post seems to reference this:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i56.tinypic.com/syp9v6.jpg')

"Life always has ups and downs, thus I've decided today is a bad day. Hope tomorrow can be a happy day! Tell myself, "jia you" (keep working hard)! $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.t.sinajs.cn/t35/style/images/common/face/ext/normal/d9/ye_org.gif')

On the other hand, there is some exciting news about other upcoming projects, but as there hasn't been an official announcement yet, I'll wait till it's set!

That is very disappointing to hear. I finally get excited for her thinking that her time has finally come to shine in a great movie, and this happens. She has had such terrible luck. And ming yun and ru yi will unlikely boost her career. I have been patiently waiting for her deserved stardom, but looks like i will continue to have to wait. Why is mei ah treating her so poorly?
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

New pic of YM doing a photoshoot for <<Tian Xia 3>> (I guess a continuation of her Tian Xia 2 endorsement!)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/6709d712gw1dlwwbzhevij.jpg')

I think this is from one of the older Tian Xia promo events (since I've seen her in this costume before) but I just saw this posted by someone recently:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/7059d604tw1dlx1nru44hj.jpg')

Remember the pic of YM and FSF behind the scenes while filming Gong 2, and YM was stretching/practicing her kungfu while fixing up her makeup? Here's a close-up shot of it:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/7059d604gw1dlvk1wmjnfj.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    That is very disappointing to hear. I finally get excited for her thinking that her time has finally come to shine in a great movie, and this happens. She has had such terrible luck. And ming yun and ru yi will unlikely boost her career. I have been patiently waiting for her deserved stardom, but looks like i will continue to have to wait. Why is mei ah treating her so poorly?
    I wouldn't say that--MingYun is not a great series but I've been enjoying the FengMi parts a lot and it still boosts her popularity (if not directly her career). Ru Yi sounds like a pretty serious drama that might gain her more recognition in the acting chops department. And even if she's not the starring role, at least she is slowly working her way up in movies with some decent supporting roles so far. It's a slow but steady process, but I think she's moving in a good direction for now even if there are some setbacks along the way.

To be honest, it does seem like most of the younger actresses who have been landing starring roles in major movies do have strong backing (e.g. LYF, Eva Huang, Zhang Yuqi...of course all of them are beautiful/pretty and talented to various degrees, but from reading stuff in the Baidu movie forums, it seems to be common knowledge that all of them have great connections/backing). It's pretty hard to get very far very fast if you don't have influential power in the industry or anything to offer the producers (talent and looks are important of course but will only get you so far...) As for Mei Ah, not sure if this is a reason but it is a HK-based company so perhaps they are less focused on pushing Mainland actors? Totally speculation, but it's been brought up several times in the forums by people who want her to sign with a Mainland Chinese company again next year after her contract ends...Hua Yi seems to be a popular suggestion...heheh (i.e. the company FSF is under, but it is a huge company with lots of other famous stars like Ady and Yao Chen under their wings, so probably not a bad choice! ).

Though, this does remind me of YM mentioning in her "Story Behind" interview how there have been multiple times where a role was set only to be changed on her in the last minute, I guess she wasn't as high-profile before so most of them we never knew about. This is probably the first time where it's such public knowledge...I've seen a lot of outrage from her fans in the chinese forums because apparently Mei Ah had this role for her in the works for over a year now, only to cancel in the last minute. A lot of people want her to just break her contract now but I doubt YM would do that (and anyways she probably doesn't have enough money to pay for that).

Given what horrible luck she has had with her management companies, she is probably better off free lancing. Doesn't seem as though anyone is interested in promoting or protecting her despite her talent and beauty and populari...come on...over ten million followers on weibo is basically free advertisement for her projects.
    Last edited by patricia n; 10-08-11 at 08:16 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Whether you like the series or not, Gong has greatly benefited Yang Mi's fame/popularity/status. Gong is now one of her representative works along with Chinese Paladin 3.

I think her guest appearance with in Painted Skin 2 will benefit her very well. It's a highly anticipated sequel since the original was so well perceived. It also helps that she will be working with a lot of A-listers like Zhao Wei and Zhou Xun. I actually admire her for working from guest roles to supporting roles to leading roles when it comes to movies/tv rather than just jumping to leading roles. I do want to see her move on to high profile A-list movies like how FSF seems to moving on to movies after Gong fame by filming with Liu Yei Fei(White Vengeance) and now Fan Bing Bing. I'm getting excited by imagining the hot A-listers that Yang Mi could collaborate with.

Sorry to hear about "Ting Feng Zhe". Is it the movie which also stars Tony Leung or something? Given the string of crappy TV and Movie roles she's been doing these few years, she'll have my full support if she doesn't re-sign with Mei Ah. Lousy roles aside, they've also been working her like mad - non-stop projects lined up for 2 years (some which come to nothing), promotional events etc. Frankly speaking, Rosat (her previous mgmt) did a better job because when I think about it, most of her good & high-profile roles were undertaken when she was still with Rosat. E.g. "Hong Lou Meng", CP3, ROCH, Liao Zhai, "Wang Zhao Jun" etc. Plus, YM was on very close terms with Li Shaohong (who is also under Rosat) then and hence, got to act in some of her works which is great for her portfolio.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by swtaznlaydee View Post
    Whether you like the series or not, Gong has greatly benefited Yang Mi's fame/popularity/status. Gong is now one of her representative works along with Chinese Paladin 3.

I think her guest appearance with in Painted Skin 2 will benefit her very well. It's a highly anticipated sequel since the original was so well perceived. It also helps that she will be working with a lot of A-listers like Zhao Wei and Zhou Xun. I actually admire her for working from guest roles to supporting roles to leading roles when it comes to movies/tv rather than just jumping to leading roles. I do want to see her move on to high profile A-list movies like how FSF seems to moving on to movies after Gong fame by filming with Liu Yei Fei(White Vengeance) and now Fan Bing Bing. I'm getting excited by imagining the hot A-listers that Yang Mi could collaborate with.
    actually, i didn't speak against gong. if anything, i'm grateful for it because it truly helped ym re-establish her name in the industry. i am also excited for painted skin. what i am speaking out against is her ill fate with mei ah and the string of broken promises. ym has been in the industry long enough to become an a-lister herself if she was given the proper opportunities. she's done her share of supporting roles without complaining about it and has worked hard non-stop. it's her professional attitude that has earned my respect (well, that and her talent and looks). i wish nothing but the best for her. and like you, i too would be unhappy if she started off starring in many projects and relied solely on connections without bothering to improve herself. i want those who are currently neutral about her to see what i see in her and to appreciate what she has to truly offer. gong got her this far, but she needs higher profile projects to get farther in her career. yes, i hope painted skin 2 can open the door to more opportunities for her.

Pics of Yang Mi attending a promo event for the "You Ya Le" milk tea she did a commercial for awhile back: (Good to see she still seems in happy spirits despite everything!) Looks like she got to keep the lovely Burberry trenchcoat she wore during Milan fashion week and she has no qualms rewearing it! ^_^ With the ponytail, smile, and without the sunglasses, she looks casual-cute here instead of the "diva/moviestar" image she gave off in the Milan pics!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/71d2a0c1gw1dlxkwxki9sj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/71d2a0c1gw1dlwvrhj993j.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Sorry to hear about "Ting Feng Zhe". Is it the movie which also stars Tony Leung or something? Given the string of crappy TV and Movie roles she's been doing these few years, she'll have my full support if she doesn't re-sign with Mei Ah. Lousy roles aside, they've also been working her like mad - non-stop projects lined up for 2 years (some which come to nothing), promotional events etc. Frankly speaking, Rosat (her previous mgmt) did a better job because when I think about it, most of her good & high-profile roles were undertaken when she was still with Rosat. E.g. "Hong Lou Meng", CP3, ROCH, Liao Zhai, "Wang Zhao Jun" etc. Plus, YM was on very close terms with Li Shaohong (who is also under Rosat) then and hence, got to act in some of her works which is great for her portfolio.
    Yes, it's the one starring Tony Leung and Zhou Xun. I agree that she did much better under Rosat than under Mei Ah, but part of this is probably also because she was not being blacklisted back then (in fact, I remember all the news about her prior to 2009 was extremely positive, then after 2009 was when the negative news really started to hit, and when she was having trouble landing roles). So, it can't all be blamed on Mei Ah, although I definitely think they could have done better damage control, promoting her, getting her roles, etc--instead, it seemed like they just let Yang Mi do all the work to repair her reputation in the industry and they're just reaping in the benefits. Guess we'll never know exactly what happened with Rosat etc that caused her to leave after that contract ended.
    Last edited by mango_cake; 10-08-11 at 10:00 PM.

Ugh, I can't believe this! I was pretty excited for her to act with Zhou Xun. Perhaps this is the reason that despite all the other actresses I adore, Yang Mi retains this spot in my heart where I care a lot about her. Liu Shi Shi and Tang Yan are both well taken care of, and they are landing roles and projects that are good, and their popularity is exploding. All of them work hard, but Yang Mi has gone through so much hardship and works herself to death, and yet where are the results? It just upsets me so much. She DESERVES resounding success, good starring roles, and A-list status, but everything just seems to slip between her fingers. Contrast all this to LYF or Eva Huang, and you can see such huge disparities.
    Yang Mi, Liu Shi Shi, Tang Yan = my young golden three

aww poor YM, if i was a movie producer i would cast her any day....
    Last edited by C-luv-H; 10-08-11 at 11:17 PM.

yes, it really breaks my heart. and she continues to be so optimistic too. =(

Ok, I was trying not to rant too much about Mei Ah in this situation but I just can't help myself anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by C-luv-H View Post
    aww poor YM, if i was a movie producer i would cast her any day....
    That's the thing though...it doesn't seem like that's the problem right now. e.g. both the producer/director of HP2 and CJYZM said they cast her in their movie because they were impressed by Yang Mi. MRXJ and Gong 2 were also because Yu Zheng liked her so much. Her big recording album deal was probably thanks to the smash success of ADGY (Gong theme song) and Jane Zhang's help. BJAQGS--again, because she is friends with the director Li Sicheng. Milan fashion week was because she was invited by Grazia magazine. In other words, pretty much all of YM's main projects and sucesses have nothing to do with Mei Ah. In fact, if "Ting Feng Zhe" were an "outside" project that fell through, YM's fans probably wouldn't be that angry right now. However, TFZ is one of Mei Ah's own productions. What kind of company strings along their own actress for over a year, then right before filming decides to switch her out?

If they aren't going to actively promote her and help her get good roles, at least they shouldn't hinder her from doing so herself! We already know she had to turn down her supporting role in "Wang De Sheng Yan" despite Lu Chuan (the director and also one of YM's good friends) wanting her in it because her schedule was too packed. She also nearly missed out on attending the HuaBiao awards, again because she leaves almost no time in her schedule between filming, promo events, etc. I just wonder what other offers YM was forced to turn down because Mei Ah had her scheduled in for TFZ!

Actually the anger that YM fans have toward Mei Ah has been brewing for 2 years now...despite most of them previously sticking up for Mei Ah for YM's sake, I often see it referred to as the "blood-sucker company" because they keep working YM to death and have profited enormously from her popularity in the last year. (When asked in interviews YM has always said that her company doesn't force her to work this hard and she's more than willing herself, but now I'm starting to wonder if that's the complete truth...) With this recent news, all that anger has come to a head. Mei Ah hasn't even released an official press release about this yet; I just hope that in the fallout of all this, it doesn't affect YM from picking her own projects in the year she has left with them. If Mei Ah just leaves her alone, I think she would do pretty good herself. It's not like they even bother to do any damage control for all the nasty rumours that got started about her--and isn't that supposed to be something a management company does for its artists?

(As an aside, it's worthy to note that the Mei Ah company is separate from YM's agent, assistants, etc who she is on great terms with, always seem to have her best interests at heart, and work really hard alongside her. Well, I think her agent left Rosat with her and joined Mei Ah because of YM in the first place, so I'm sure they won't have any problems leaving Mei Ah with her again. Her fans are just mad at the "higher-ups" in the Mei Ah company who seem to be making most of the big decisions, unfortunately.)
    Last edited by mango_cake; 10-08-11 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowyjasmine View Post
    Ugh, I can't believe this! I was pretty excited for her to act with Zhou Xun. Perhaps this is the reason that despite all the other actresses I adore, Yang Mi retains this spot in my heart where I care a lot about her. Liu Shi Shi and Tang Yan are both well taken care of, and they are landing roles and projects that are good, and their popularity is exploding. All of them work hard, but Yang Mi has gone through so much hardship and works herself to death, and yet where are the results? It just upsets me so much. She DESERVES resounding success, good starring roles, and A-list status, but everything just seems to slip between her fingers. Contrast all this to LYF or Eva Huang, and you can see such huge disparities.
    Given YM's talent, professionalism & looks, I'm sure she would have no problems securing a top spot in one of the popular agencies like Tang Ren, Hua Yi etc. But I think her problem lies in her personality- she's too sharp, outspoken & feisty for her own good, which usually does not go down well with such agencies because I notice that they tend to favour/prefer docile artists who keep their mouths shut & just do whatever they are told.

I think LSS & TY are lucky to be groomed & given good roles but most importantly, I think they have personalities which work well in the Chinese industry (e.g. do not clash with the big bosses, are obedient & cautious of how they speak and behave etc.). Of course, they do put in the required hard work to climb up from supporting roles to leading ones. But I do agree that YM has struggled so much harder & experienced so much more setbacks & difficulties just to receive similar levels of popularity & success, probably 'cause of her luck (lack of) and personality. Don't even want to compare her with people like LYF & Eva Huang because they're just incomparable to YM. Both basically started off pretty big (it's no secret how much backing & powerful connections these 2 have) & hence its no surprise that they're bigger now. It's just like how you know the prince will become King while it's a totally different matter altogether when a peasant becomes King.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Actually, come to think of it YM's situation kind of reminds me of Yuan Hong's (but to a greater degree). Both are so talented and definitely have the looks to make it in the entertainment industry, and have great personality (in terms of being hardworking, humble, great to the fans, fun people--but both also have a "rebellious" streak that can get them in trouble sometimes), yet somehow they keep being neglected by their companies. At least YM has received a certain degree of sucess, popularity, and recognition despite the disappointments--meanwhile Yuan Hong is also deserving of so much more, yet he was the least popular of the TR artists, always put in Hu Ge's shadow (I love HG too of course, but YH is just as talented and handsome--maybe a bit more or less depending on your own POV, but definitely deserving of just as much success).

Maybe that's another reason why they are my #1 and #1/2 (depending on the day, lol) actress and actor right now...
    Last edited by mango_cake; 10-09-11 at 12:11 AM.

if she goes with hua yi (which she should), perhaps she and ady can collaborate in a series. =) or freelancing would be good for her now that she has her own connections.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    if she goes with hua yi (which she should), perhaps she and ady can collaborate in a series. =) or freelancing would be good for her now that she has her own connections.
    She would be in the same company/production as FSF. He is currently an artist under the management of Huayi Brothers. ;D

i know! =) but for some reason, i'm fangirling an ady and ym collab since they are my favorite actresses of their generation. and i'd like to see ym with other men in series/movies...but wish to see more fengmi interactions in real life since they seem much sweeter as a real life couple.