Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Ren Ying Ying, ROFL at your literal chinese-to-english translations ("dog-blooded", "soy sauce"... ). Somehow they just sound hilarious! XD

I don't know if I'm a QY fan or not...after all I loved HZGG1 but thought HZGG2 was bad and gave up on HZGG3/NHZGG on the first episodes. I did enjoy "Tears of Heaven" and parts of "Romance in the Rain" (but disliked a lot of it as well). And those are really the only QY series I've watched...her stuff does tend to be super melodramatic but half the time it works. (Oh, I also read a few chapters of "Xin Yue Ge Ge" way back in middle school randomly but I got so weirded out by the plot/premise that I stopped. )

Anyways, it's also funny because Yu Xiaofan was the original Xiao Chai from the first JCSS, and Yang Mi played the same role in the new JCSS almost 20 years later! And now they're both in the same series.
    I do the literal translation b/c I really can't find good "english translations" for them to get the same effect

HZGG is pretty atypical from the usual sappy melodramatic plots (and nausea inducing lines) of Qiong Yao. It's tolerable after one or two of them, but it gets pretty repetitive after that.

I've never bothered to read Qiong Yao and only watched a lot of her stuff b/c they were the only options on TV available at the time (before the age of internet)--and from the ones I've seen, in terms of plot, I think Xin Yue Ge Ge is the WORST of the bunch (she tried to romanticize the role of an underaged homebreaker!).

I did like Xue Ke a lot though. The little girl was just too cute and I tend to be more of a sucker for parent-child drama. And it was also one of my first QY dramas...so I hadn't gotten sick of her yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    I've never bothered to read Qiong Yao and only watched a lot of her stuff b/c they were the only options on TV available at the time (before the age of internet)--and from the ones I've seen, in terms of plot, I think Xin Yue Ge Ge is the WORST of the bunch (she tried to romanticize the role of an underaged homebreaker!).
    Yeah that was what weirded me out! I was like...umm, hello, the general is so much older than you and most important of all he's happily MARRIED, hello! (And he had kids right?) At first I thought maybe the main girl just had a crush on him, then I realized that nope, they were going to be the main couple of the story so I just couldn't keep reading it anymore. (Well I know back then it was typical for a guy to have multiple wives but I just can't get behind that, even in ancient costume dramas--and especially not when it's the main couple.) Plus I've never really enjoyed reading novels based around romance (I'm more of a action/fantasy/mystery novel reader ). Never watched the TV version of XYGG though...actually I don't even know why I was reading it, I think my mom printed me off a few chapters to try to improve my chinese, LOL. (In my own opinion, I think watching subtitled TV series was a lot more effective. )

I do have a soft spot for "Tears of Heaven" though (even though it seems to be more of the typical sappy QY stuff) because that was the first series I saw Shui Ling in, as well as Vincent Jiao. (Who I both adore. ) Also, the sibling relationship between the 5 kids was so heartwarming, and the secondary couple (Athena Chu + ...well, I dunno who the actor is) were pretty cute/funny.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/5de8a2e4jw1dn5osuid6qj.jpg')
    My two favorite actresses. I have way too many favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by guoluoluo View Post
    there was a gong 2 trailer??? just asking
    Found it (there's only a bit of YM at the very start): http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzOTAwMjQ0.html

There's also lots of BTS stuff that's been released, here's the "teaser trailer" for the BTS interviews etc: http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/63607488-2140858093.html

Bit of a YM news roundup: (Catch-up from the past few days! XD I also have another FengMi squee session in the works...but don't worry, I'll post that over on the FengMi blog to spare the rest of you my fangirling! )

Nice new interview with YM here by Sina: http://ent.sina.com.cn/s/m/2011-11-14/04303480298.shtml

The author points out that YM has been said to "follow in the footsteps" of many various actresses--Vicki for their rise in popularity after starring in an idol Qing-period drama, Zhou Xun for their similar "ling qi", Xu Jinglei for her current strong following on weibo (this is new to me actually...but apparently XJL's blog was very popular back in the day? Actually I think YM has been compared more to FBB lately...)

Anyways, YM replies that she quite likes Vicki and adds, "I'm quite happy [to hear all of that], whoever you guys want me to 'follow in the footsteps of' then so be it!" I find it refreshing that whenever Yang Mi is asked, she expresses her happiness at being compared to such famous and accomplished stars and says she feels flattered, whereas most stars want to be "known in their own right" (nothing wrong with that of course and it is the typical response I hear). I just like her attitude in general--YM seems to understand that there's no point in trying to change what others say about her so she just goes with the flow and uses her hard work/filming projects to prove herself. In the same interview she also jokingly "thanks" all her haters who leave nasty messages on her weibo, saying: "They hate me so much yet they always keep helping me increase the number of comments left on my weibo!"

"2011 China 50 Most Beautiful" List

"Xin Jing" just released their list of 50 Chinese, HK, and TW stars they chose as the "most beautiful". Yang Mi made the list (and so did FSF! In the same category too! ^_^). I'm hearing that they're holding a big awards event in Beijing soon so I have my fingers crossed both YM and FSF can make it despite their busy filming schedules. (Seriously, it's been too long since we've seen them at an event together...)

I didn't pay much attention to this before--I always thought it was based on appearance (from the name) but I guess it has a greater focus on inner beauty rather than outer beauty, which I think makes the award more meaningful rather than just a shallow "beauty contest"--my initial impression of this award selection, LOL! (At first I was a bit surprised neither LYF or HG made the list...ok, I guess HG isn't "big name" enough just yet, but I was definitely surprised at LYF, especially since all 3 of the other "4 xiao hua dan", i.e. YM/Eva Huang/Wang Luodan, were listed--and LYF has done more movies than the other 3. I guess overall she doesn't have as many projects under her belt though...)

Full list here: http://news.163.com/11/1116/04/7IV2HFFL00014AED.html
    (Other notable Chinese actresses include: all 6 of the "4 dan 2 bing" of course, plus Tang Wei, Yao Chen, GYY; HK/TW actresses include Shu Qi, Lin Chiling, Angelababy, and Selina Ren.)

Feature on Yang Mi here: http://news.bjnews.com.cn/2011/1116/138974.shtml
    I like that they talk about how hard-working she is and mention her long winding road in the entertainment business, saying that apart from "luck", it's her hard work, determination, and perseverance over many years that got her the success she has today. They also mention her versatility as an actress (pointing out that she's acted all sorts of costume dramas, as many different human/fairy/spirit/demon characters, in practically all dynasties from Qin to Qing).
    However, I have to facepalm at them including "Wang De Sheng Yan" as one of her movies... >_< Clearly the writer is totally out of the loop because the news that she couldn't participate anymore was out like 3 months ago! They should've included, you know, "Da Wudang" or "Hua Pi 2" instead.
    Last edited by mango_cake; 11-16-11 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Bit of a YM news roundup: (Catch-up from the past few days! XD I also have another FengMi squee session in the works...but don't worry, I'll post that over on the FengMi blog to spare the rest of you my fangirling! )
    you have a fengmi blog? or are you referring to jolecole's blog?
    what about just a ym blog?
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    you have a fengmi blog? or are you referring to jolecole's blog?
    what about just a ym blog?
    JoleCole's blog of course! As for a YM blog...well wouldn't that pretty much be this thread?? LOL. (Meanwhile there is no good place to post all the FengMi stuff, hehe.)

Anyways. Apparently the "2011 50 Most Beautiful" ceremony has already started...and while a lot of big-names attended once again YM/FSF are missing. >_< (Ok, I love that they're filming so much, but I wish they'd take some time off to attend some of these events too...especially ones like this that a lot of A-listers attend. *sigh* Oh well...)

Scan of the news report on this with all 50 people: (YM/FSF are at the very bottom)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/63f2e956gw1dn5gr8uf5jj.jpg')

Somewhat bigger scan of FengMi section:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/2q2gzsl.jpg')

Apparently everyone got a "special title"--Yang Mi's is called "eye-catching/dazzling" beauty.
    Last edited by mango_cake; 11-16-11 at 03:47 AM.

does this mean that ym and fsf are ranked number 46/47?

anyhow, at first i thought the pic of fbb was actually ym since the pose and body were similar to ym. is one of fbb's criteria for photoshoots is to get her body massively photoshopped? the woman isn't fat by any means, but her arms and chest area are chunky for an a-list asian actress. her body in these magazines are always unrecognizable.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    does this mean that ym and fsf are ranked number 46/47?

anyhow, at first i thought the pic of fbb was actually ym since the pose and body were similar to ym. is one of fbb's criteria for photoshoots is to get her body massively photoshopped? the woman isn't fat by any means, but her arms and chest area are chunky for an a-list asian actress. her body in these magazines are always unrecognizable.
    LOL, I know, me too...but umm, yeah, FBB is kinda notorious for getting crazy photoshop done on her photoshoot pics. I feel sorry for her though, she gets a lot of criticism for her weight (good thing is, she doesn't seem to let the pressure get to her).

The list actually wasn't "ranked"--instead of giving everyone numbers they gave everyone "titles" (which is unique and rather nice of them I guess). But, perhaps you can "rank" them by the order they're listed in--see this page here for links to each person's individual feature: http://news.bjnews.com.cn/

So going by that, and the scans, YM is #45 and FSF #47. (There's one person in between them...)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/79bd8fbatw1dn6r053y12j.jpg')

@mango_cake: there is such hype and jubilation for you on the FengMi Shipper blog. You should check out the comments! I'm patiently waiting(I'm sure others are too) for your first official post.
    Need to stop being lazy...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/8282d007tw1dn6p6r6cx4j.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    @mango_cake: there is such hype and jubilation for you on the FengMi Shipper blog. You should check out the comments! I'm patiently waiting(I'm sure others are too) for your first official post.
    Oh dear...what have I got myself into...

Ok ok, I promise I will clean up the rather unorganized ramblings in the text document I have and post something tomorrow.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/71d2a0c1jw1dn6yxnqghtj.jpg')

OMG, I just came over here to post a link to this and it's already been uploaded to Youtube!!!

This is the funniest Gong "spoof" ever...it manages to parody Gong, BBJX, HZGG, plus adds in a couple other funny modern references for good measure...Whoever made this (seems like an official TX production?) is genius. (Also, half those scenes from Gong 2 I've never seen before! So big bonus there! )
    I'm kinda weirded out by the dubbing voices for 4th and 8th, though. But QC's voice sounds legit, wonder if they actually got that voice actress to do the dubbing??

This Gong2 clip is so hilarious and funny. I had a good laugh from it.

Quote Originally Posted by swtaznlaydee View Post
    O.M.G the preview look awesome! can't wait for the drama. thanks for posting it up. :>

Smile

hi guys! I'm new here, mind if i join this forum? anyway, the preview look awesome! thanks for posting it up..

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/71d2a0c1gw1dn7shlybwvj.jpg')