Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    what the heck? what a twisted happy ending. how the hell does hawick's character become blind? i guess ym's biological mom in ruyi disfigures her? how did you find out about this spoiler?
    Well, looks like there will be a lot of angsty scenes to look out for in Ruyi. And I actually quite like this ending...it means after enduring all sorts of hardships and obstacles, the main couple is finally together to grow old together in peace and happiness, and it doesn't matter if they have some disfigurements/disabilities bcos they love each other heart and soul.

OK OK...I'm just a sucker for mushy lovey stories.
    I ship Shi-Harem

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Well, looks like there will be a lot of angsty scenes to look out for in Ruyi. And I actually quite like this ending...it means after enduring all sorts of hardships and obstacles, the main couple is finally together to grow old together in peace and happiness, and it doesn't matter if they have some disfigurements/disabilities bcos they love each other heart and soul.

OK OK...I'm just a sucker for mushy lovey stories.
    HAHAHAHA...I hope Hawick/YM have as much onscreen chemistry as FengMi. Only then, I'll be able to get immersed into the story. I saw in an interview where Hawick said that his Ru Yi pairing is a deep contrast to his Sealed with a Kiss pairing. The former is always "I love you. I love you" kind of romance while the latter is "I'll throttle you. I'll kill you. I'll kiss you" kind of love.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 01-28-12 at 12:14 AM.
    Need to stop being lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    HAHAHAHA...I hope Hawick/YM have as much onscreen chemistry as FengMi. Only then, I'll be able to get immersed into the story. I saw in an interview where Hawick said that in his Ru Yi pairing is a deep contrast to his Sealed with a Kiss pairing. The former is always "I love you. I love you" kind of romance while the latter is "I'll throttle you. I'll kill you. I'll kiss you" kind of love.
    The latter type of love sounds more exciting, lol. Anyway, from the trailer, Ru Yi looks like a typical Qiong Yao type of tragic-romance story where u have the poor but sweet and demure damsel, the charming wealthy prince and the wicked mother-in-law. Plus the usual villains at the side and the annyoingly b!tchy rich girl who loves the prince and bullies the damsel.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

OMG! Hawick has such a dreamy and singing mature voice! Yang Mi...just sounds so childlike lol But I think Asia likes this type of voice for women?
    I like me.

Well we're definitely not going to run out of YM series this year, lol...I just spent the last few days marathoning Beijing Love Story and just when I'm finished Ru Yi is about to air, heheh. Although to be honest this type of sappy melodramatic drama isn't really my cup of tea, like sunnysnow pointed out it seems to have a pretty cookie-cutter type storyline...

Anyways, I actually quite enjoyed BJAQGS even though modern-day dramas aren't usually my thing either. I was a bit disappointed that YM had quite little screentime (out of the 7 leads she definitely had the least), especially since her character was quite interesting and I would've loved to see more of her relationship with Wu Di (instead of so much focus being put on TLY's relationships with the other 2 guys--which wasn't bad but it got kinda boring/draggy after awhile).

It does get off to a rather slow start (while setting up the characters/relationships) but episodes 5-20 were very good. It tackles different aspects of society in modern-day Beijing which was a very interesting watch, particularly when it showed the struggles between love/friendship vs. power/money and how circumstances can change people. Really makes you think. The characters were pretty well fleshed out as well--everyone's actions were understandable (even if I didn't agree with some of them) and I didn't dislike any character (well...except for the Wu Mei girl...). Unfortunately the second half (eps 20-39) was pretty mediocre--as I mentioned before there was too much focus on TLY's love story; i found the secondary storylines (including YM's) much more interesting but they got less screentime.

But overall a very worthwhile watch, quite different from the recent dramas I've been watching (a more realistic, slightly depressing, but definitely thought-provoking look into the struggles of modern society in Beijing).

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Wow, I haven't been here for sometime and sooo much seems to have happened! Not that it's a fantastic shock to me since I've never been a FM shipper in the first place but anyhow, congrats to YM on finding love because she seems to yearn to date & marry.
    Haha I knew you would be thrilled at the news sunnysnow!

Quote Originally Posted by tobeme View Post
    CCTV is showing the new year show right now (watched by billion of people) and FSF turned up for a short interview just now. He said he's happy to be here so that he has a chance to spend the new year with his relatives. The male host asked him is that person Yang Mi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor FSF said no, with his parents.

How could the host ask that question!! The lady host corrected him right away and said that's old news. Humm, I think this will be wide spread pretty soon....
    How did I miss this part?? I'll have to go back and rewatch! Kinda insensitive and a faux pas for that host for sure...

Anyways kinda OT but while I found the show overall very enjoyable, I was pretty disappointed by most of the celebrities...FSF just appeared briefly and singing as a group so nothing really good/bad for him. But the other celebs who sang solos were terrible...I was really cringing at Wang Luodan's off-tune singing. Seems like none of the 4 young Dan actresses can sing, LOL. (Well I haven't heard Eva yet.) I used to think LYF was a terrible singer but YM turned out worse; but now I think WLD is definitely the worse of the bunch. At least YM's voice I can tolerate...WLD's singing made me want to go deaf. >_< Faye Wong also had a pretty bad performance...

Exceptions were Chen Kun (pretty decent voice) and Han Geng, who I was so impressed by haha. XD Count me in as a fan! I heard he had some martial arts training before but I never realized he was that good. Really cool performance at the end!

Han Geng was from Super Junior, so naturally he's a great performer and singer.
    I ship Shi-Harem

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    I used to think LYF was a terrible singer but YM turned out worse; but now I think WLD is definitely the worse of the bunch. At least YM's voice I can tolerate...WLD's singing made me want to go deaf. >_< Faye Wong also had a pretty bad performance...
    Do they not just auto tune everything these days? I found it rather ridiculous how it seemed very famous Chinese actress seemed to have a recording contract under her belt also. The probability that they could all sing AND act seemed rather small, especially if they were actors first.

Of course, they may have decided to sing live rather than lip sync, hence the poorer quality. I certainly didn't think YM was bad in the opening song of Gong (the only one I've heard her sing).

There hasn't been much news about YM recently because she's taking a long New Year break from work. On Lunar New Year Eve, Hawick flew to Beijing to have dinner with her family. Ever since the 25th of January, she's been in Hengdian hanging out with Hawick and maybe her buddies Yu Zheng, Zhang Meng and Yuan Shanshan too on the set of Beauties without Tears. Today, someone just saw them at the airport heading to HK. MY GOSH...THIS SOO DOES NOT SOUND LIKE THE CRAZY WORKAHOLIC YANG MI!! Imagine her sitting idly on a film set not doing anything!!

I heard from random people on the set that they're acting pretty lovey dovey like a normal couple (i.e. Hawick would hold her hands around the set). YM would even wake up early to accompany Hawick to do his make up too.

P.S. Xiaolong, i think this may be your chance to randomly bump into YM. Hawick's father used to be the community/district representative for Sai Kung District or something. So you can keep an eye out if you're ever in the Sai Kung District.

YM hanging out with Hawick on the set of Beauties Without Tear during her break.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o390/jolecole/85857634_62554025_middle.jpg')

YM and Hawick at the Xiaoshan Airport in Hangzhou heading to HK
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/51843ad0jw1dplkmkicxsj.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o390/jolecole/85853611_62371251_middle.jpg')

Arriving in HK
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/51843ad0jw1dplkzuxzo9j.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/9141ca1cjw1dplku4rf41j.jpg')

Legend of the Military Seal is supposedly airing on February 7! Mango_cake, your drama is coming out soon!!!!!
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/629ee6e2gw1dplmmhfof8j.jpg')
    Last edited by JoleCole; 01-31-12 at 03:30 AM.

YES!!! Omg that poster for HFCQ looks so good. Sadly the Feb. 07 airing is only on a small local channel (many of YM's fans on Baidu are quite angry at Mei Ah since they see this as a cash grab lol) so most people in China will have to wait for a wider broadcast to see it. I hope someone uploads it to the internet but I don't have too much high hopes for it...still, fingers crossed!

Seems like YM's series are actually being scheduled quite well with no conflict as previously feared--Ru Yi started airing pretty much right after Beijing Love Story finished and now it seems like HFCQ will start airing after Ru Yi! XD

But speaking of which, I watched the first 3 eps of Ru Yi and was pretty bored. x_x The pace is pretty slow so far and I don't think these type of dramas are my thing anymore...not sure if I will continue (especially if HFCQ distracts me heheh ). Also I noticed YM is using her own voice in her while most of the other young actors are dubbed, which makes her voice acting sound pretty amateur-ish next to the professional dubbers. Similarly Liu Xuehua has a pretty obvious TW/HK-ish accent which totally takes me out of the scenes. I kinda wish they just dubbed everyone, but oh well..

But speaking of which, I watched the first 3 eps of Ru Yi and was pretty bored. x_x The pace is pretty slow so far and I don't think these type of dramas are my thing anymore...not sure if I will continue (especially if HFCQ distracts me heheh ). Also I noticed YM is using her own voice in her while most of the other young actors are dubbed, which makes her voice acting sound pretty amateur-ish next to the professional dubbers. Similarly Liu Xuehua has a pretty obvious TW/HK-ish accent which totally takes me out of the scenes. I kinda wish they just dubbed everyone, but oh well..
    Totally agree with you about Ru Yi. Both Hawick and YM characters are such a bore. I would rather watch the bad guys. I watched the first 3 episodes without fast-forwarding...but man my fingers were itching to FF through the whole thing. I'm supposed to watch the new episodes too since I have nothing good to watch, but I'm soo unmotivated, particularly after I heard Hawick's character gets even more boring. Ru Yi is the second mainland series I watch Hawick act in. I was honestly hoping his character would somewhat resemble his role in Sealed with a Kiss, at least in terms of intelligence and brainpower. But it seems Tang Mingkai is the most naive and least intelligent of the male leads. You know all too well how much I love his character in SWAK. From SWAK-->Ru Yi is such a big disappointment. Of course, I don't blame the boredom on the acting, but more on how the characters are written.

P.s. After watching Ru Yi, I must give Yu Zheng's credit. His series are always full of "dog-blood" and cliches, but rarely "boring."
    Last edited by JoleCole; 01-31-12 at 11:05 PM.

I just realized, on that HFCQ poster, in YM's autograph did she seriously add "Mini" to the end of it??? I first noticed this in her music album photos but was trying to ignore it. Oh my god Yang Mi can you please just keep it at "Mi", what the heck kind of name is "Mini"??? (Even if she was going for "Minnie", that sucks too.) Whoever came up with this should be fired. *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    P.s. After watching Ru Yi, I must give Yu Zheng's credit. His series are always full of "dog-blood" and cliches, but rarely "boring."
    I am....totally ashamed to admit this...but, I kinda agree. *hides* Ru Yi's plot is probably not as full as holes and WTF moments as YZ series but yeah, at least YZ's characters mostly have personality (unlike YM/Hawick in Ru Yi) and his series has its entertaining moments. Tang Ming Yang (Hawick's brother) is the only interesting character in this thing. (Although that other guy who likes YM, forgot his name, does a pretty good job of playing a nonchalant, disaffected spoiled rich guy...his personality sucks but I actually quite enjoy watching him onscreen. Lol.)

I just realized, on that HFCQ poster, in YM's autograph did she seriously add "Mini" to the end of it??? I first noticed this in her music album photos but was trying to ignore it. Oh my god Yang Mi can you please just keep it at "Mi", what the heck kind of name is "Mini"??? (Even if she was going for "Minnie", that sucks too.) Whoever came up with this should be fired. *facepalm*
    Her English name is suppose to be Mimi right?
    I ship Shi-Harem

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Her English name is suppose to be Mimi right?
    That would make more sense wouldn't it (although I would still just prefer "Mi"), but I've been seeing "Mini" on her music album pics, the BXBX poster, and now this HFCQ poster autograph...so I guess it is actually "Mini". T_T (Definitely add her to the long list of Chinese celebs who I will never call by their english name...lol!)

Mini...that is so lame. Anyhow, i am disappointed to hear tnat ruyi is such a bore so far. Ym should have accepted the role in seal with a kiss. Maybe i will get around to it but ying'er looks so plain as a female lead. Eh, i will catch some of lss series instead...seems like i will eventually have to like her since tang ren does wuxia series well and she seems to be their only female lead these days...at least she looks good in her fight scenes. Too bad ym isn't doing series anymore. Given her popularity she would probably get good scripts offerred to her now. Movies are just not satisfying enough as i never really get to fangirl any couple because there is so little development in the romance department.
    Last edited by patricia n; 02-01-12 at 05:23 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    Mini...that is so lame. Anyhow, i am disappointed to hear tnat ruyi is such a bore so far. Ym should have accepted the role in seal with a kiss. Maybe i will get around to it but ying'er looks so plain as a female lead.
    Aww...Patricia, you should definitely give Sealed with a Kiss a try. Hawick's portrayal of the conflicted/conniving male lead is awesome! As for Ying'er, you can just ignore her and watch the rest of the cast. If you just overlook her hideous wardrobe, she actually grows on you...eventually.

Sorry YM's fans...I'm gonna do some shameless promotion of Sealed with a Kiss here...LOL

I did some drama recaps for the series...you can check it out if you want
    http://jolecole.blogspot.com/p/current-projects.html
    Last edited by JoleCole; 02-01-12 at 07:07 PM.

Mei Ah has stated that Hu Fu Chuan Qi will be aired nation-wide on CCTV-8 during the summer holidays. Before that it will be aired on various local channels (first one on a local Jiang Su station in a few days). Yup, Mei Ah is definitely getting their money's worth for this thing... >_<

Anyways someone better upload it ASAP because I cannot wait for the summer!!! Warring States is one of my favourite periods in Chinese history and ancient war epics are so much more entertaining than the current wave of boring court/palace dramas so this sounds promising. (Oh yes and the fact that it's a FengMi pairing definitely doesn't hurt heheh... ) I have my fingers crossed they are getting professional dubbers for HFCQ (they used original voices in the trailer but that was released nearly a year ago before much of the post-production) because I don't want another case of unsuitable voices ruining what could be a good ancient drama, haha.

In other news Yang Mi is supposedly returning to work on Feb. 06 after a 15-day holiday. I know I previously kept ranting on about how the girl needs to get some rest but now that she actually has, I am guilty of wanting her to go back to filming, lol.

Supposedly she has 4 movies lined up for the first half of this year! The only one we know by name is "Mulan Qi Yuan"...then there's the one with Huang Xiaoming...but no other details. Hopefully more news will be released soon!

Fans have already started photoshopping pics of Yang Mi as Mulan and it seems pretty much confirmed because the director, Huang Zhen Zhen, has been reposting lots of these fan-made pics! Someone also asked her who YM's male costar will be and she replied jokingly, "why don't you guys suggest a few names?" Haha.

These are the three pics she reposted: (I don't particularly love any of them but they're not bad and are kinda cool. Third one doesn't really look like her though. Also she looks prettier with makeup (obviously, lol) but I hope she has a minimal/simplistic look in the actual movie because otherwise the whole "pulling-off-a-male-soldier" thing is not going to be realistic...at all...haha)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/75aaf228jw1dp26rpau93j.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/75aaf228gw1doxqi3wqn8j.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/75aaf228gw1doxqovlczkj.jpg')

Oh, and not sure how true this is...but:

- Apparently "Mulan Qi Yuan" is set to begin filming in March/April, so I'm not sure what she'll be filming in Feb. yet.

- It's widely rumoured that her male costar in Mulan is Taiwanese actor Ke Zhen Dong. Things backing this up is the fact that YM and KZD mutually added each other on weibo recently, and he recently said in an interview he will be acting in a wuxia film in March. He recently starred in a smash hit Taiwan movie. But, I really hope this isn't true (or he is just playing a supporting role in Mulan) because he looks super young/boy-ish (well he is born in 1991 apparently) and I really cannot picture him playing a general, or playing a couple with Yang Mi.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/9f0b61fajw1dplmshc3omj.jpg')

- Apart from the movie with HXM, Yang Mi may also have a supporting role in a movie starring Andy Lau. (Definitely unsure of the truth to this rumour though.) Actually a few months ago it was leaked (by some reasonably reliable people?) that a really big-name actor had invited YM to act in his project; more recently Andy Lau's name has been coming up but I don't know where this came from. Again though, I am pretty sure YM only has a supporting role in both the HXM and Andy Lau movies (or maybe they're the same one? Who knows haha).

Hey..isn't that guy from the taiwanese hit movie? He's cute though, lol, and YM has chemistry with everyone. Ngl, I hope they're cute.

2 new stills from "Love in the Buff", I believe it should be released around the end of February?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i43.tinypic.com/zufrrt.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/mvkp61.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by ice_mountain23 View Post
    Hey..isn't that guy from the taiwanese hit movie? He's cute though, lol, and YM has chemistry with everyone. Ngl, I hope they're cute.
    Yup, he's the one! I agree he has those boyish cute good looks, I just think he'd be more suitable for modern idol dramas, lol. But again, there doesn't seem to be much proof yet that he is actually in Mulan so maybe he and YM are collaborating in something else?