Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Basically her fans would find her a good actress with a hardworking, intelligent and frank disposition. The antis would think the opposite.

I like her as an actress and I don't really bother much about the gossip and news about her personal life, romantic scandals with FSF and the likes. That said however, I personally don't like all the sex-symbol and flashy-like mags she's been posing for recently because it sort of places her in the typical category of A-listers who let fame get to their head when they readily jump on the commercialized bandwagon (film strings of mediocre or even crappy projects, expose more and more flesh in high-profile pics and commercials and get embroiled in frequent gossip and scandals).

That's why I much prefer and respect actresses like Gao Yuanyuan, Li Bingbing, Zhou Xun (don't know about her gossip because I haven't read much but she seems the down-to-earth sort) because despite their fame and status in the industry, they still remain low-profile and prefer to stay away from the limelight even though they have plenty of opportunities to constantly bask in it.

SunnyShow, you put it perfectly. I love YM as an actress and I would say that I am a fan. But as of late. She has been trying to do too many sexy photo shoots, making one too many series, and has her romantic life all over the news. I personally thinks moderation is key. There is a such thing as overexposure. I get it that your career is hot right now and you want to work as much as you can while you're in demand. But I just think that if you're everywhere, in every series. People will start to loose interest. Xiao Xiao thought I was bashing YM on LSS's thread. But like I said, I love YM as an actress. I just don't like the path she's taking to heighten her career.

I'd like to say that YM is definitely hardworking above all. I disagree with some of her decisions as of late, but she's an intelligent girl, and I'm sure that she will eventually wake up. One thing about her, is that her agency doesn't guide her, so she's a bit on her own with career choices. At heart though, she's a very sweet girl and hopefully she'll realize the right paths to take. She used to be so beautiful inside and out, and I hope she doesn't let the industry hit her too hard. She should look to Li BingBing, Zhou Xun, GYY, etc. for example instead of I don't know, Ruby Lin.
    Yang Mi, Liu Shi Shi, Tang Yan = my young golden three

I agree that YM is extremely hardworking and very determined. She seems very ambitious as well--and I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean that she is a smart, talented girl who wants to achieve everything that she knows she is capable of. Unlike some actresses, all the success and fame she has is due to her own abilities and hard work (not because she has "connections" etc in the entertainment circle).

Unfortunately, with a rapid rise to fame there also comes a lot of rumours and gossip. Obviously people love a scandal and YM is a prime target since she's everywhere and getting very popular. I don't keep up with every one of her interviews or appearances, but it doesn't seem like she actually puts any of her personal details into the spotlight--most of the news is her just doing her job (appearing in events, films, commercials, magazines, etc) or plain speculation (people thinking she had surgery done, or her "romance" with FSF--which can't be helped since everyone seems to want to pair them together these days). YM also seems quite open with her views and can be rather "blunt" at times--so even though I agree she is probably just a sweet girl giving her genuine opinion, she can inadvertently offend some people without meaning to. I hadn't thought of it before, but snowyjasmine made a good point that it seems like her agency doesn't guide her much (e.g. tell her what to say and what not to say to have the best public image).

It's true that she's been doing a lot of the "sexier" photoshoots lately, but I think this also goes along with her wanting to break into the more "acclaimed" roles. If you look at the most famous female celebrities (i.e. the ones topping the Forbes list posted on the previous page), pretty much all of them have taken movie roles that require them to bare a lot more skin and be in much "sexier" scenes than YM has so far. (This is including GYY, LBB, ZX, etc.) Even LYF, who used to have her whole image based on being "pure/innocent", has started to branch out into movies with those type of scenes. Unfortunately, it's kind of a reality of the entertainment world. Like you guys, I also prefer her more innocent image from years before (e.g. she looks really gorgeous and sweet in that white/blue sundress from the previous page), but I understand that it's almost a "necessity" if she wants to make headway into the movie business and be known as an "A-lister".

Overall though, I still think she is one of the best actresses of her generation (the other one I absolutely love is Shu Chang, but sadly I haven't seen much from her lately), so I'm always happy to watch her series/films (as long as they have a good plot that appeals to me).
    Last edited by mango_cake; 05-17-11 at 06:50 PM.

For ChineseChik & munianci (extremely rabid fangirls of Nic Tse), here's a treat for you!

Yang Mi meets her idol (Nic Tse) video...she gets to hug him at 0:51, Donnie Yen's beside himself with amusement at 0:53, and she blushes embarassingly in fangirl bliss at 0:55.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 05-18-11 at 06:40 AM.

There's no doubt that YM is an extremely hardworking and intelligent lady. She comes across as a straightforward, smart & composed person from her interviews and blog posts and the sheer hard work she's put in to build up her name and career, even at the expense of her health is obvious to most people. And like mango_cake, I must say that's definitely one of the things which sets her apart from some of her other peers who rose to fame more because of their wealth and connections (a certain Ms Huang & Ms Liu come to mind).

Nonetheless, I just do not fancy the sexpot-like image (mostly in magazine shots) she's taking on at current. It's absolutely fine if an actress wants to progress on to a more sensuous and womanly image but there's a fine line between "classy" hot and "un-classy" hot (if you get what I mean). I've seen plenty of actresses who are able to exude sexiness and maturity without needing to bare tons of cleavage, doing the cheap "finger licking cream" and "raising legs in bathtubs" thingy. I guess it all boils down to having a good stylist and adviser (as to what sort of photo shoots to accept and what sort to decline) and that's what YM probably lacks. Plus, she's still considered relatively young and probably doesn't possess adequate experience on how to handle all the fame and exposure offered to her. I guess when one really experiences fame and has a door of wide opportunities opened, it's difficult to keep oneself grounded and given YM's workaholic and ambitious nature, she probably has the thinking that it's best to grab whatever is offered than to miss out on anything and regret later.

It would definitely be great if she has a wise and capable manager who aids/guides her on what projects to accept so as to advance her image and career further, and reject those which are an utter waste of time and/or might cheapen her image (like those mag pics). Because there are various film and drama productions, and tons of magazine shoots which YM could definitely do without, and it wouldn't even have made a difference to her name and status. On the other hand, YM is at current signed on to a HK entertainment company and it might very well be that all the filming and activities she's participating at current are dictated by her management company. Still, I would very much like to see her mature into a classy and sophisticated A-list actress who is known more for her acting and talents, rather than her personal life, gossip and sexiness.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    For ChineseChik & munianci (extremely rabid fangirls of Nic Tse), here's a treat for you!

Yang Mi meets her idol (Nic Tse) video...she gets to hug him at 0:51, Donnie Yen's beside himself with amusement at 0:53, and she blushes embarassingly in fangirl bliss at 0:55.
    I really like the girlish charm YM exudes with all that shyness and embarrassment around Nic Tse. It's really cute!

Wise Fool

^^I don't think wearing something revealing in a photoshoot directly relates to lack of class at all. The likes of Vogue Paris and Vogue Italia, the highest of high fashion magazines, don't seem to mind baring their girls a bit for artistic purposes. Some of YM's more revealing shoots look perfectly fine to me. There are also shoots that look like she's trying to hard, so that's a different story. It's not as much about what you do as it is about how you do it. For example, Diane Kruger is the classiest modern day Hollywood actress I can think of. She does not look tacky at all in the shortest dresses on Earth, but the majority of people would look devastatingly cheap in a few of the things she has worn in the past. There's nothing wrong with showing legs if you can pull it off and still look classy.

I don't think any manager would try to stop a girl from going to a photoshoot unless they were one of their parents or something. Besides, it's not like YM is a perfect angel. Remember when photos of her flicking to the camera surfaced several years ago?
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    I don't think any manager would try to stop a girl from going to a photoshoot unless they were one of their parents or something. Besides, it's not like YM is a perfect angel. Remember when photos of her flicking to the camera surfaced several years ago?
    What photos were they? Any links?

I agree with you Dragon Heiress on the aspect of its not what you do, its how you do it. Vouge does do some truly artistic stuff without looking cheap. But, I would have to disagree with you on the "she's not a total angel" comment. I think what most of us are trying to get at is, YM has worked so hard for so long to get to where she is at today. Doing those overly sexy photos might give the impression that she's trying to use her "assets" and "sexuality" cute corners in rising to an A-list actress. We're all allowed to have our own quirks as humans. That's what makes us unique. But lately, it seems like she is always showing her boobs or striking a super sexy pose in almost every shoot you see. For all the young girls out there inspiring to be an actress. What example is YM setting? She's almost making it seem like that's what you have to do to become famous. YM is a very beautiful and talented girl. I'd hate for her name to be ruined and her hard work and effort to be overlooked because some people think that's how she got to where she is today. But I still love you though Heiress! LOL I've missed you on Wallace's tread!

I really like the girlish charm YM exudes with all that shyness and embarrassment around Nic Tse. It's really cute!
    OMG, you can see she was visibly trying to stay calm until the compere told Nic Tse to hug her and she burst in out blushing and overwhelmed in that girly way. Obviously this took her by surprise and wasn't rehearsed, so that's her in her natural state I love Donnie Yen's look of amusement - that's classic!

OMG, you can see she was visibly trying to stay calm until the compere told Nic Tse to hug her and she burst in out blushing and overwhelmed in that girly way. Obviously this took her by surprise and wasn't rehearsed, so that's her in her natural state I love Donnie Yen's look of amusement - that's classic!
    I agree, she was so cute and fangirly in this clip. Nic Tse is one fine man too, so no wonder.

While I agree with some of the concerns about decisions, but she hasn't gone completely off the right road. I get everybody's worry, but from how it's worded, one might assume that all YM does now is sexy, trashy photoshoots, and that's she's lost all her class. On the contrary, the sexy shoots are there, but they aren't quite that numerous, and one of the things I have truly great respect for Yang Mi is how she is utterly classy in her interviews. She doesn't let the rumors rile her up and chooses some very wise words. Almost every interview I've watched, she's questioned about plastic surgery rumors, but while she completely honest (another trait I adore) she manages to be very calm in refuting them.

Thanks for the vid--I saw a different angle of it before but this one is much clearer! Most people wouldn't be so open and straightforward about their idol crushes, especially in front of such a huge audience. :P

As for the photoshoots--I agree their is a fine line between "classy sexy" and "trashy sexy", but I've only seen 2 photoshoots that I think have crossed the line a bit. I also wish maybe she would be a bit more careful in selecting her projects, but apart from those 2 shoots, I feel she handles herself very professionally (as snowyjasmine pointed out) and does not give off that desperate, trashy vibe at all. She still comes across as very sweet and genuine in interviews, candids, etc. I think it's also worth noting that she came from a modeling background before she started acting. It's very common--even expected--to pose in all sorts of different shots and bare skin as a model. So I can see how she might have a different perspective on things compared to LYF (well, her old image) and LSS, who both have a background in dance I believe, which is much more reserved. (Actually...I'm kinda confused about LYF's background since she supposedly studied in the US but also got a degree from Beijing Film Academy, but I think originally she was in dance right? Although kinda a moot point anyways since she did eventually go for a more sexy image too...)

Just saying that I don't get the feeling YM is using her "sexy" image to get more famous (she certainly isn't getting her fame from that sort of thing anyways). Instead, it seems more like she simply has no problem branching out a bit and doing all kinds of different types of modeling, but she keeps it all on a professional level. Again, despite all the gossip about her, I feel like most of it is just speculation because it seems like she still manages to keep a lot of her life private. I certainly don't really know what goes on in her personal life (maybe because she's working 24/7 anyways?). The gossip is really a result of her fame, not the other way around. YM certainly never does anything to try and "fuel" the rumours to get herself more famous or does any "attention-seeking" antics--again, as snowyjasmine mentioned, she handles them with class. Can't really blame her for all the gossip surrounding her because it's caused by other people--she herself I'm sure would prefer if all the news were solely on her work.
    Last edited by mango_cake; 05-19-11 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Thanks for the vid--I saw a different angle of it before but this one is much clearer! Most people wouldn't be so open and straightforward about their idol crushes, especially in front of such a huge audience. :P

As for the photoshoots--I agree their is a fine line between "classy sexy" and "trashy sexy", but I've only seen 2 photoshoots that I think have crossed the line a bit. I also wish maybe she would be a bit more careful in selecting her projects, but apart from those 2 shoots, I feel she handles herself very professionally (as snowyjasmine pointed out) and does not give off that desperate, trashy vibe at all. She still comes across as very sweet and genuine in interviews, candids, etc. I think it's also worth noting that she came from a modeling background before she started acting. It's very common--even expected--to pose in all sorts of different shots and bare skin as a model. So I can see how she might have a different perspective on things compared to LYF (well, her old image) and LSS, who both have a background in dance I believe, which is much more reserved. (Actually...I'm kinda confused about LYF's background since she supposedly studied in the US but also got a degree from Beijing Film Academy, but I think originally she was in dance right? Although kinda a moot point anyways since she did eventually go for a more sexy image too...)

Just saying that I don't get the feeling YM is using her "sexy" image to get more famous (she certainly isn't getting her fame from that sort of thing anyways). Instead, it seems more like she simply has no problem branching out a bit and doing all kinds of different types of modeling, but she keeps it all on a professional level. Again, despite all the gossip about her, I feel like most of it is just speculation because it seems like she still manages to keep a lot of her life private. I certainly don't really know what goes on in her personal life (maybe because she's working 24/7 anyways?). The gossip is really a result of her fame, not the other way around. YM certainly never does anything to try and "fuel" the rumours to get herself more famous or does any "attention-seeking" antics--again, as snowyjasmine mentioned, she handles them with class. Can't really blame her for all the gossip surrounding her because it's caused by other people--she herself I'm sure would prefer if all the news were solely on her work.
    Oh no no no! I wasn't trying to say that she was using her sexy image to get ahead. I was trying to say I just don't want people who don't know too much about her, or how hard she has worked to get to where she is today, to think that's how she got there. That's why I said I don't want her name to be ruined or her image to be perceived as taking the easy sexy route. That would be unfair to her and her hard work. But at the same time, I also hope she's not giving young girls the impression that that's what you have to do to become famous.

Oops, sorry for misunderstanding!! Although you're right, I'm sure there are many people who do think that way and I can see why they would, based on various tabloid articles I'm sure are out there.

Something I forgot to mention before: apart from being hardworking, I think YM's other key trait is her versatility. She's always tried her acting in a wide variety of genres (wuxia, fantasy/mythology, modern, Min Guo era, historical in various dynasties, idol-type dramas, serious dramas, even horror movies). Her characters also have varying personalities--including 1 or 2 villainous-type roles, which can't be said of a lot of other actresses her age. And similarly, her photoshoots range from cute/sweet, to quirky, to high-fashion, to classy sexy, and yes, to the few "overtly" sexy ones. So it seems she just wants to try out the whole spectrum of everything. It's not like she's made a beeline for the sexy photoshoots as a way of being more famous (those ones really only came after her recent rise to fame, anyhow).

I think this is the distinguishing factor in why I think (well, hope) young girls don't get that impression--because she does a bit of everything, and after all these years in the entertainment circle, only recently has she started to really branch out into the more sexy image--after she already achieved success.

Anyhow, to actually contribute something to this thread, here's a new photoshoot YM did:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.sinaimg.cn/dy/slidenews/4_img/2011_20/703_334231_205820.jpg')
    A few more at the source: here

(I hate to bring up the topic again but based on this I don't think she's had surgery done...I was wondering about it a bit myself though.)

Also just read an article about YM focusing more on movies now (don't know if it's true but it sounds reasonable). Which is sad, because I generally don't watch/enjoy a lot of chinese movies while I do love a lot of TV series. But, I guess it's inevitable since most actors do try to go the movie route eventually.
    Last edited by mango_cake; 05-19-11 at 02:13 AM.

Just saying that I don't get the feeling YM is using her "sexy" image to get more famous (she certainly isn't getting her fame from that sort of thing anyways)....The gossip is really a result of her fame, not the other way around. YM certainly never does anything to try and "fuel" the rumours to get herself more famous or does any "attention-seeking" antics--again, as snowyjasmine mentioned, she handles them with class.
    The sexy thing and gossips are definitely a result of her fame and not the other way round because it's quite clear cut that her popularity skyrocketed because of CP3 2 years back (some people attribute most of her fame to Yu Zheng but I do think it's the other way round- his productions e.g. "Gong" do well because she stars in it and not that she became famous because she starred in his productions. It's so darn obvious that YZ is using YM to create hype for the movie version of "Gong" and "Mei Ren Tian Xia" when she's just playing minor roles in them. Plus, I honestly think that a crappy drama like "Gong" wouldn't have been able to achieve half the ratings it achieved if led by a lesser known actress). Nonetheless, I do think that the current gossips and pics are helping to breed her popularity but not in a good way of course and I agree that the worrying thing is that people who were initially neutral towards her or didn't know about her previously might just stamp the "attention-seeker" or "slu*ty" label on her.

Something I forgot to mention before: apart from being hardworking, I think YM's other key trait is her versatility. She's always tried her acting in a wide variety of genres (wuxia, fantasy/mythology, modern, Min Guo era, historical in various dynasties, idol-type dramas, serious dramas, even horror movies). Her characters also have varying personalities--including 1 or 2 villainous-type roles, which can't be said of a lot of other actresses her age.
    Now that u mention it, that's also one of the key things I like about her as an actress. Not only is she capable of pulling off different types of roles (cute/matured, loud/cold, sweet/aloof etc.), she also looks very good in most of her roles too (except that wardrobe malfunction in "Hong Lou Meng").

Wise Fool

Something I forgot to mention before: apart from being hardworking, I think YM's other key trait is her versatility. She's always tried her acting in a wide variety of genres (wuxia, fantasy/mythology, modern, Min Guo era, historical in various dynasties, idol-type dramas, serious dramas, even horror movies). Her characters also have varying personalities--including 1 or 2 villainous-type roles, which can't be said of a lot of other actresses her age. And similarly, her photoshoots range from cute/sweet, to quirky, to high-fashion, to classy sexy, and yes, to the few "overtly" sexy ones. So it seems she just wants to try out the whole spectrum of everything. It's not like she's made a beeline for the sexy photoshoots as a way of being more famous (those ones really only came after her recent rise to fame, anyhow).

I think this is the distinguishing factor in why I think (well, hope) young girls don't get that impression--because she does a bit of everything, and after all these years in the entertainment circle, only recently has she started to really branch out into the more sexy image--after she already achieved success.

Anyhow, to actually contribute something to this thread, here's a new photoshoot YM did:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.sinaimg.cn/dy/slidenews/4_img/2011_20/703_334231_205820.jpg')
    A few more at the source: here

(I hate to bring up the topic again but based on this I don't think she's had surgery done...I was wondering about it a bit myself though.)

Also just read an article about YM focusing more on movies now (don't know if it's true but it sounds reasonable). Which is sad, because I generally don't watch/enjoy a lot of chinese movies while I do love a lot of TV series. But, I guess it's inevitable since most actors do try to go the movie route eventually.
    Hm. I don't actually have time to watch all her movies and dramas much, but where was she a villain? Sounds interesting.
    And as much as I like YM in series, movies really raise an actress' credibility. I see LYF is focusing more on that route as well after her hiatus.
    And I also don't want to bring it up much anymore, but my reaction to the picture was first "wow, sophisticated" and then "wow, she's flat"

Just saw this on her weibo, and though it's blurry and for Gong promotions, it's a LOVELY shoot. I can't wait for the whole shoot to come out. Now that's what I want to see.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/610/682e9049jw1dhbf8iq3fxj.jpg')
    Last edited by snowyjasmine; 05-19-11 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowyjasmine View Post
    Just saw this on her weibo, and though it's blurry and for Gong promotions, it's a LOVELY shoot. I can't wait for the whole shoot to come out. Now that's what I want to see.
    Funny thing about Gong is that I loved all the Gong photoshoots (only of her, not the two lead men...sorry) and the media interviews (not a FSF fan but I love his natural camaraderie and close friendship with YM), but fast-forwarded through most of the actual series

Hm. I don't actually have time to watch all her movies and dramas much, but where was she a villain? Sounds interesting.
    I believe she was the main villain in "Di Ren Jie Qian Zhuan". I only watched the beginning of it though--where YM is still "good" (her character turns evil in the middle after having some tragic events happen). I'll have to get back to that this summer when I'm free.

Also, in one of the first series she acted in, "Hong Fen Shi Jia", she played the bratty, spoiled younger sister of the main character who causes trouble. And in "Hong Wu Da An" she plays a girl who uses her beauty/charm to seduce and corrupt a good official (I think the character is good at heart though...but again I haven't seen these series so I'm not sure of the details or how "evil" the characters were.) Either way all of them sound like rather "grey" and complex characters--hopefully I'll get around to watching those series eventually.

The sexy thing and gossips are definitely a result of her fame and not the other way round because it's quite clear cut that her popularity skyrocketed because of CP3 2 years back (some people attribute most of her fame to Yu Zheng but I do think it's the other way round- his productions e.g. "Gong" do well because she stars in it and not that she became famous because she starred in his productions. It's so darn obvious that YZ is using YM to create hype for the movie version of "Gong" and "Mei Ren Tian Xia" when she's just playing minor roles in them. Plus, I honestly think that a crappy drama like "Gong" wouldn't have been able to achieve half the ratings it achieved if led by a lesser known actress).
    Yeah, it really irks me that many people probably think she got famous due to "Gong"...I haven't watched it but from what I hear it's pretty terrible. She definitely became gradually more and more famous--I first noticed her in "Liao Zhai" but I know she got a lot of buzz after acting as Guo Xiang, then she got famous from CP3, and I guess "Gong" really catapulted her into stardom...but she's been doing so many projects every year that it's more of an "additive" effect from everything rather than "Gong" being a breakthrough-role or anything.

And as much as I like YM in series, movies really raise an actress' credibility. I see LYF is focusing more on that route as well after her hiatus.
    Personally I prefer TV series as there is more time to develop the story arcs, plus a lot of Chinese popular and classic novels can't be adapted to a 2-hour movie. E.g. I don't think any of the Condor Heroes trilogy can ever be made into a movie. Mainland China, for a country so huge with a large rural population, has an amazingly high TV penetration rate (read a statistic before that it's 96% of the 1.4b population?) due to the CCP seeing TV as an extremely important channel to imbibe CCP ideology in the minds of the vast masses. Hence the TV industry is huge in China with many famous HK and Taiwan stars wanting to extend their careers in China (e.g. Wallace Huo, Kevin Cheng, Ruby Lin). In comparison, India's movie industry (Bollywood) is much bigger as TV penetration is low, so the masses go to the cinemas for entertainment.

However, movies is the way for Chinese stars to attain fame and recognition in the West. Therefore it's considered a "higher" or "more credible" step for the career of a Chinese actress as it's the way to become famous internationally. This kind of fame will attract highly lucrative ad endorsements from international brands, e.g. HXM is now the spokesperson for Gucci, Zhang Ziyi for Omega.

But honestly, well written well directed Chinese TV series are in no way inferior, and are actually much better, than a lot of popular Chinese movies. I rather sit through any LOCH TV adaptation 10 times over than torture myself with a 2nd viewing of badly written big budget "international" Chinese movies like Shanghai, Legend of the Fist/Chen Zhen, Let Bullets Fly or Lost Bladesman. Not looking forward to Gong 2 directed by the gawd-awfully over-rated Jingle Ma.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 05-19-11 at 11:39 PM.

Personally I prefer TV series as there is more time to develop the story arcs, plus a lot of Chinese popular and classic novels can't be adapted to a 2-hour movie. E.g. I don't think any of the Condor Heroes trilogy can ever be made into a movie. Mainland China, for a country so huge with a large rural population, has an amazingly high TV penetration rate (read a statistic before that it's 96% of the 1.4b population?) due to the CCP seeing TV as an extremely important channel to imbibe CCP ideology in the minds of the vast masses. Hence the TV industry is huge in China with many famous HK and Taiwan stars wanting to extend their careers in China (e.g. Wallace Huo, Kevin Cheng, Ruby Lin). In comparison, India's movie industry (Bollywood) is much bigger as TV penetration is low, so the masses go to the cinemas for entertainment.

However, movies is the way for Chinese stars to attain fame and recognition in the West. Therefore it's considered a "higher" or "more credible" step for the career of a Chinese actress as it's the way to become famous internationally. This kind of fame will attract highly lucrative ad endorsements from international brands, e.g. HXM is now the spokesperson for Gucci, Zhang Ziyi for Omega.

But honestly, well written well directed Chinese TV series are in no way inferior, and are actually much better, than a lot of popular Chinese movies. I rather sit through any LOCH TV adaptation 10 times over than torture myself with a 2nd viewing of badly written big budget "international" Chinese movies like Shanghai, Legend of the Fist/Chen Zhen, Let Bullets Fly or Lost Bladesman. Not looking forward to Gong 2 directed by the gawd-awfully over-rated Jingle Ma.
    I understand. TV series are also more relatable overall, and very accessible. But with movies, you can put in great artistic creativity. A fantastic movie lasts forever. I do like the development in TV series, but for instance, I really wanted to see (still want to, since I never got to) movies like Hua Pi/Painted Skin and Feng Sheng/The Message.

Picture from YM's weibo that I like for the fresh cute vibe.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1318/473df571jw1dha7uj3fyzj.jpg')