Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Thanks for compiling all that JoleCole! Just wondering, I dropped by the FengMi Baidu forum to check out the thread you mentioned...are you talking about the one that has 4000+ (actually closer to 5000) pages?! O_o The chinese fans of this pairing are certainly dedicated in tracking their every movement!! How do you manage to read all of that--or is there a more condensed thread somewhere? (To be honest I am really confused about the Baidu forums layout, it seems so disorganized to me and I have a hard time finding what I'm looking for...)

The "520" message he left for her is so cute. I also saw people talking about YM's weibo post on Valentine's Day this year where she posted a picture of a gigantic bouquet of 999 red roses that almost took up the whole room. O_o Obviously she refused to say who gave it to her but I have a really hard time believing that this is a "just friends" gesture. And seeing as how she hasn't been linked/pictured with any other guys lately, most people think FSF sent it. If so, that is one huge romantic gesture! (Well, I guess they are rich and can afford these things but still...)

Even without reading all that evidence though it seemed highly suspicious. Actually, they remind me of 2 other (non-Asian) pairings who also have fantastic chemistry with lots of rumours about their relationship. The first pairing act similarly to FSF/YM (the subtle little looks and gestures at press events, hanging out together a lot while not filming) and while they never admitted their relationship either, recent photos pretty much confirmed that they're dating (which I suspected for awhile). The 2nd couple are a figure-skating pair who are always together attending competitions, events, training, etc., and are constantly asked about their relationship. And I 100% believe them when they say they are only good friends despite the fact that they're much more public with displays of (friendly) affection than FSF/YM (probably because there really isn't anything going on so they are not shy about it). Reason being, they never act nervous or embarrassed when answering those questions--they just answer directly and freely without seeming like they're hiding anything or trying to change the subject. Basically, comparing what I see with FSF/YM to them, it seems highly likely that they are not just friends. Add on all the evidence that JoleCole posted...yeah, I am pretty convinced now. Guess we will have to wait and see though!

I'm just skimming through some of the Baidu threads and this pic (among others) cracked me up. Poor Mickey, he's leaning towards FSF/YM and posing, trying to take a good picture, but they're just ignoring him (and the photographer) completely. I felt pretty bad for him during that interview--I think they were supposed to promote the triangle aspect of "Gong" but Mickey just seemed like a third wheel there! As an aside though I thought YM looked adorable in that hairstyle--it's exactly like one of Joe Chen's hairstyles from FTLY and she looked really cute like that too.

Also came across an ad for "green" BMWs by FSF/YM from awhile back that are quite nice (I don't think these were ever posted here). Few more at the source here. Seems like YM has been doing a lot of promotion for environmentally-friendly/green initiatives lately!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.autolady.cn/data/attachment/portal/201103/15/034746ssxx7smyi0axni55.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.autolady.cn/data/attachment/portal/201103/15/03520955hd05zmlkm971lz.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Thanks for compiling all that JoleCole! Just wondering, I dropped by the FengMi Baidu forum to check out the thread you mentioned...are you talking about the one that has 4000+ (actually closer to 5000) pages?! O_o The chinese fans of this pairing are certainly dedicated in tracking their every movement!! How do you manage to read all of that--or is there a more condensed thread somewhere? (To be honest I am really confused about the Baidu forums layout, it seems so disorganized to me and I have a hard time finding what I'm looking for...)
    Unfortunately, the baidu forum threads are listed chronologically based on the most recent posting date within each thread topic and there isn't a condensed thread for that mega 4000+ page thread...FengMi fans pretty much recorded YM and FSF's daily whereabouts for the past few months in that mega thread....

I've actually been following that thread back in early January before Gong even aired, so I'm all caught up. For newbies, it's going to be a monumental task...LOL...I suggest you skim REALLY fast or just read the most recent posts. There are a few other interesting threads you should read. One is the body language analysis. I love that thread and learn a lot about body language! Now I have a clue on how to observe people's behavior, or tell if they're lying or not. HAHAHAHA...

The body language thread:
    http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=1005113906

After reading over 100K posts, I have to say I have absolute ZERO faith in the Chinese entertainment news reporting and will only believe in what I hear and watch in personal video interviews by the celebrities. Heck...sometimes, we can't even believe in those! (Example: YM was caught lying multiple times about details on her relationship with FSF. A lot of times what she said doesn't match up with what FSF said or what she said in one interview completely contradicted what she said in another interview.)

If you watch all of FengMi's video interviews/talk shows/variety shows in order, you can definitely tell the subtle changes in their relationship. I watched a BTS video of YM when she was filming Beijing Love Story with Li Chen and Chen Si Cheng on Christmas Eve. Coincidentally, FSF paid them a visit that night as well...and treated everyone drinks from Starbucks...The goodbye hug that he gave YM when he left felt more like a friendship hug than anything romantic versus that goodbye hug described by the Symphony of fate's extra when he wrapped up filming earlier this month.

During the hour long interview by Hunan TV on January 2, the vibes I got from FengMi also felt more like "good friends" than lovers. FSF also sounded soo much more eloquent in that interview and looked much more comfortable interacting with the press than he does now whenever he's with YM. (I feel when he's handling the press by himself, he's more articulate...LOL) But in late January/early February, the vibes they gave me just had a 180 degree flip and became "more than just good friends." I suspect that if they are dating, FengMi is probably still in a very early/premature stage of their relationship.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 05-31-11 at 08:57 PM.

I'm just skimming through some of the Baidu threads and this pic (among others) cracked me up. Poor Mickey, he's leaning towards FSF/YM and posing, trying to take a good picture, but they're just ignoring him (and the photographer) completely. I felt pretty bad for him during that interview--I think they were supposed to promote the triangle aspect of "Gong" but Mickey just seemed like a third wheel there! As an aside though I thought YM looked adorable in that hairstyle--it's exactly like one of Joe Chen's hairstyles from FTLY and she looked really cute like that too.
    Mango_cake, please repost the picture! I so want to see it. Thanks!

aqueous, just click on the link! I'll repost it here: click. Sorry, I tried to post it on the page but it was so huge, and I don't know how to resize it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Unfortunately, the baidu forum threads are listed chronologically based on the most recent posting date within each thread topic and there isn't a condensed thread for that mega 4000+ page thread...FengMi fans pretty much recorded YM and FSF's daily whereabouts for the past few months in that mega thread....
    Thanks for the links JoleCole! Well at 4700 pages...even if I go through 40 pages a day it'll take 100+ days. And by then the thread will probably be 10000 pages long, lol! So there isn't a FengMi fansite or something where people compiled all their interviews/appearances etc in order?

Actually I think FSF only comes across as extremely nervous/shy in "on-the-spot" interviews at press conferences etc. where a lot of reporters are throwing questions at him. He is pretty eloquent on those "variety shows" with YM where there are only one or two hosts asking the questions.

I'm sure I haven't seen most of their interviews/appearances yet so I haven't actually noticed many blatant lies/discrepancies in terms of what YM says about their relationship. Although, the most obvious one is probably how she constantly uses "we've known each other for 7 years, we first collaborated when I was 17 and have had 4 collabs since then, that's why we are so close with each other" as an excuse for why they are such good "friends" and nothing more. Except in that one interview she clearly states that she had a horrible impression of FSF in that first film they did together, and disliked him until 1/3 of the way through Gong filming. MRXJ doesn't count as a collab either because they didn't have a single scene together and YM actually forgot that FSF was even in that series! So that is a pretty obvious lie (well, I guess you can call it a "half-truth").

aqueous, just click on the link! I'll repost it here: click. Sorry, I tried to post it on the page but it was so huge, and I don't know how to resize it.
    Mango, I clicked on it and there was a photobucket's-deleted-picture-y kind of image instead of FSF & YM's pic.

Hmm, really? That's weird, I guess I'll have to attach it here then, lemme know if this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Mango!
    It's kind of awkward and cute at the same time. But what's-his-name handled it well, giving the photographer the trademark Asian peace sign.
    I think the couple didn't do it intentionally; they were too absorbed in their love nest. Awww.

Mango_cake:
    I don't know any good fansites that organzie all their video interviews, but if you look through the body language thread, a significant majority of the video interviews should be there in chronological order by release date. The author of that thread loves to study body language and likes to perform "experiments" on her friends. A lot of her analyses regarding FengMi are quite interesting to read.

Here's the Beijing Love Story BTS video I mentioned before. It was recorded on Christmas Eve 2010.

P.S. YM just wrapped up filming for Symphony of Fate yesterday. I just heard that she'll FINALLY gonna start shooting Wang De Sheng Yan. For those of you just wondering what her role will be, I read that the most likely she will play Concubine Qi, Liu Bang's favorite whom Empress Lu tortured to death. YM did mention she has a lot of screen time with Qin Lan who plays Lu...

Baby YM and FSF

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/62bd1ed4jw1dhrl28dd3dj.jpg')
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-02-11 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    it would be great if they were dating. fsf treats her quite well and seems quite bashful around her in front of the press. glad to know that both are helping each other's career. i'm with yang mi on this one. i am also beginning to worry that fsf may be her only on screen partner at this rate (despite my loving all the rumors revolving around them). i would love for yang mi to work with other actors too, but whatever helps her career, i'll be happy with. i just wish yang mi wasn't so cold around her fans...it might make her a bit more popular. thanks for the summary. it was definitely fun to read.
    yea i actually agree..lately ive been reading info about her and it just seem like she so cold toward her fans and coworker...being straight forward is one thing but not open up is another...i mean she is a great actress but i wonder how can she bring chemistry to her coworker if she always give them a cold shoulder...maybe im wrong and all since i dont know her...

Hmm, I dont' follow her personal life much besides reading her Weibo, but how is she cold? I can understand just being very professional and private, but COLD? Explanation?
    Yang Mi, Liu Shi Shi, Tang Yan = my young golden three

Quote Originally Posted by yangmi's fan View Post
    yea i actually agree..lately ive been reading info about her and it just seem like she so cold toward her fans and coworker...being straight forward is one thing but not open up is another...i mean she is a great actress but i wonder how can she bring chemistry to her coworker if she always give them a cold shoulder...maybe im wrong and all since i dont know her...
    I hope I didn't you give the wrong impression when I said she once refused to take a photo when someone asked and gave FSF the cold shoulder when they first started to shoot Gong. Based on what I read about her and what her close friends said about her, YM is actually very vivacious, talkative, and absolutely mischievous in private. I remember FSF once said during filming of Gong, YM loved to yank on his queue (Qing's male braids) and refused to let go. Another time while she wore those Qing Dynasty's high heel shoes, she pretended to lose her balance and fall back to see if FSF could catch her. One time she even poked fun at Beijing Love Story director and fellow co-star Chen Si Cheng by mimicking his 'stylish director's siting posture.

She is only aloof and reserved toward strangers/people she doesn't know well. The person I mentioned in my previous post who was offended by YM's coldness was not her fan, but a random onlooker who just wanted a picture with someone famous as a keepsake. Many people whom she refused to sign autographs/take pictures usually asked her at a wrong time when she's extremely tired/busy filming/resting during her personal time.

To her true fans, she's actually really nice and warmhearted. There was a group of devoted fans who went to visit her a few weeks ago in Hangzhou. YM actually hung out with them the whole afternoon in between her shooting breaks and brought them milk tea to drink.

In regards to her co-stars, I haven't heard any of them complained about her. The case with FSF was just an initial misunderstanding. FSF now loves to work with her and always praises her acting ability. Her fellow co-stars are always impressed by her work ethic and professionalism. Most of the time she tends to keep a distant but professional relationship with people she works with. But a lot of her close personal friends are also formerly her co-stars like Tang Yan, FSF, and Liu Shi Shi (P.S. I actually wanted to include Ma Tian Yu, but I don't think they ever collaborated together but are just former classmates at Beijing Film Academy).
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-01-11 at 06:30 PM.

i wonder how large of a role is concubine qi? so this is pretty much certain or still speculation? anyhow, i hope this movie does well.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    i wonder how large of a role is concubine qi? so this is pretty much certain or still speculation? anyhow, i hope this movie does well.
    It's not 100% official yet, but highly probable because the other two top female characters have already been cast, and I think Concubine Qi is only remaining female lead that hasn't been cast yet. Unless YM is going to cross dress and play a male character, then I really don't see what other female character she's going to play. I'm not even sure if Madam Han is even a significant character in Wang De Sheng Yan.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-05-11 at 03:06 PM.

I have no idea how YM manages to always film multiple things at once--right now she just finished filming "Ming Yun" and now she has to start work on WDSY, Ru Yi, and Hua Pi II... O_o How does she do it all! Although I guess movies are less time-consuming than TV series...

Gosh, baby YM is the cutest little kid I've seen! ^_^ Her little pigtails with the big bows are adorable, and those huge eyes...I just want to hug her and bring her home with me! XD No wonder she was cast in a couple of movies when she was a kid.

I have no idea how YM manages to always film multiple things at once--right now she just finished filming "Ming Yun" and now she has to start work on WDSY, Ru Yi, and Hua Pi II... O_o How does she do it all! Although I guess movies are less time-consuming than TV series...
    There's also going to be a Taiwanese movie she's going to film with Vic Chou soon, I think. She may need to fly to Taiwan to shoot that movie. According to FSF's agent, he's going to start filming his part in Painted Skin 2 in July/August. If YM shares the same story arc with FSF in Painted Skin 2, then I'm guessing her filming schedule for that movie should coincide with FSF.

I also heard Painted Skin 2 will wrap up filming in Tibet in August. I really hope both YM and FSF will get to go to Tibet; it sounds soo fun! It's not often that actors/actresses get to leave Hengdian to go to such an beautiful place to film.

YM's interview from Hu Fu Zhuan Qi Press Conference where she talks about filming that drama, denies promotional tactic rumors with FSF, etc. At the end, YM is having one of her "half-truth" moments again...LOL...you get it mango_cake

Last edited by JoleCole; 06-02-11 at 06:17 AM.

i would like to see yang mi pair up with wallace chung in a wuxia series...heck, i'd like to see yang mi as a kick butt pugilist in a costume series.

can't wait to see her costumes for her upcoming movies.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Picture of YM with her other Hua Pi II leads

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1818/55779173.jpg')

I wish she hadn't grown out her bangs though, I think it makes her look unnecessarily old and mature, especially her. The center part definitely doesn't help. I like her with long side bangs though
    Yang Mi, Liu Shi Shi, Tang Yan = my young golden three

i agee. yang mi needs bangs because her forehead is quite big relative to the rest of her face.

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    YM's interview from Hu Fu Zhuan Qi Press Conference where she talks about filming that drama, denies promotional tactic rumors with FSF, etc. At the end, YM is having one of her "half-truth" moments again...LOL...you get it mango_cake

YM is such a fluent & eloquent speaker! Her replies to questions are always so well-thought out and nicely phrased. I wonder whether she rehearses/preps herself for questions before events/interviews.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool