Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post

Wait, am I missing something? What is "Ru Yi"?
    Yang Mi, Liu Shi Shi, Tang Yan = my young golden three

Quote Originally Posted by snowyjasmine View Post
    Wait, am I missing something? What is "Ru Yi"?
    It's her new drama she's currently shooting in Hengdian with Hawrick Lau.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-05-11 at 02:01 AM.

What do u guys/ladies think of her look in "Ru Yi"? I personally find that the hairstyle (especially the ones with the bun at the back) makes her look much older than she really is. She still looks pretty sweet though more matured and somewhat tragic-looking.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

She does seem very eloquent but very natural too. I think she's one of those lucky people who are naturally very good at phrasing their answers on the go. Plus she's had plenty of practice from countless interviews, so it's probably not such a big deal.

She looks so cute in the asymmetric dress, but so tiny! I don't know why, but Asian actresses always seem more fragile even though there's plenty of Western actresses who are just as skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    i agee. yang mi needs bangs because her forehead is quite big relative to the rest of her face.
    Yay another people who agrees! I know I was shallow and didn't give her a chance in Gong because she had her forehead on display, but it was so PROMINENT! And DISTRACTING!

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerDreamz View Post
    Yay another people who agrees! I know I was shallow and didn't give her a chance in Gong because she had her forehead on display, but it was so PROMINENT! And DISTRACTING!
    Yes! I actually like her best with a fringe, like her Mo Xue Yan look in Mei Ren Xin Ji! Looking forward to Legend of the Military Seal where she's wearing a fringe again. But somehow in Shang Shu Fang, I thought her look there was really beautiful even though it's Qing Dynasty. I think it's because there was a whispery kind of fringe (not the heavy fringe like in Mei Ren Xin Ji).

Yang Mi in Shang Shu Fang.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i52.tinypic.com/2vbveoi.jpg')
    Last edited by xiaolong; 06-05-11 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    What do u guys/ladies think of her look in "Ru Yi"? I personally find that the hairstyle (especially the ones with the bun at the back) makes her look much older than she really is. She still looks pretty sweet though more matured and somewhat tragic-looking.
    i don't like it...although she's still cute, especially in the final picture. even though i know here hair is long and it's tied back in a bun, just the front part of her hairstyle makes it look like a bowl/mushroom haircut....which does not work for anyone. i don't mind her costume, but i wish they ease on her bangs...
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

She does seem very eloquent but very natural too. I think she's one of those lucky people who are naturally very good at phrasing their answers on the go. Plus she's had plenty of practice from countless interviews, so it's probably not such a big deal.

She looks so cute in the asymmetric dress, but so tiny! I don't know why, but Asian actresses always seem more fragile even though there's plenty of Western actresses who are just as skinny.
    i thought a good deal of her speaking ability stems from the fact that she's well read? that doesn't guarantee that one will have good public speaking skills, but knowledge generally makes one appear more intelligence.

i think westerners tend to appear less fragile because they are toned. asian actresses lack muscle bulk...it seems like they only concentrate on being skinny and flabby even if they have little fat, where as westerners will tighten what little flab they have.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

i think westerners tend to appear less fragile because they are toned. asian actresses lack muscle bulk...it seems like they only concentrate on being skinny and flabby even if they have little fat, where as westerners will tighten what little flab they have.
    I must agree with this.

I think Yang Mi has mature look about her, well only especially lately though. I can't get the Ru Yi pics to load, will try again later.
    I like me.

I agree with patricia n, the thick bangs make it like a bowl-cut which is not that flattering. It seems like these stylings are "post-marriage" costume fittings so the older, more mature and "severe" styling makes sense. I hope her character also has a younger look as well (pre-marriage). I do love her costumes though (the red & white wedding costumes and the qipao's).

Although I find that sometimes YM looks much better onscreen (in motion) than in still pictures--mainly due to her nose. In pictures it can look a bit large/irregular at certain angles, but in motion it always looks so delicate and dainty. (I think that's one reason for all the nose job rumours too...)

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    YM's interview from Hu Fu Zhuan Qi Press Conference where she talks about filming that drama, denies promotional tactic rumors with FSF, etc. At the end, YM is having one of her "half-truth" moments again...LOL...you get it mango_cake
    Thanks again for bringing over these vids! YM is usually so poised and composed but it seems like she gets all giggly and smiley when she's asked about the FSF rumours. It's rather cute. ^_^
    Last edited by mango_cake; 06-05-11 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Yes! I actually like her best with a fringe, like her Mo Xue Yan look in Mei Ren Xin Ji! Looking forward to Legend of the Military Seal where she's wearing a fringe again. But somehow in Shang Shu Fang, I thought her look there was really beautiful even though it's Qing Dynasty. I think it's because there was a whispery kind of fringe (not the heavy fringe like in Mei Ren Xin Ji).

Yang Mi in Shang Shu Fang.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i52.tinypic.com/2vbveoi.jpg')
    She looks so different with a fringe, and for the better. I almost didn't recognise her in Gong even though I loved Guo Fu in Return of the Condor Heroes.

Being well read doesn't necessarily translate into eloquence, neither does general knowledge but they certainly help. So does confidence and a host of other things. However, I definitely agree she's very skilled at answering questions.

After watching the West Wing, I was so disappointed by Martin Sheen's inability to articulate the standard of prose I had come to expect of him as the President, whereas Darren Criss (Glee ) is a fantastic talker who can provide very well thoughout answers on the spot.

As for the weight thing, I think that's probably it. I just can't get over how delicate they always seem.

Well Asians in general are "smaller-boned" than Westerners, so it's not just lack of muscle. Both a skinny Asian and a skinny Westerner will have very little fat, but the average Asian will also probably have much less bone mass. In fact I think for the "obesity cutoffs", Asians are expected to have a smaller waist circumference and BMI (i.e. they are classified as "obese" at a lower cutoff) because genetically they are just smaller and more "fragile" in stature.

Being well read doesn't necessarily translate into eloquence, neither does general knowledge but they certainly help.
    i never said that she was articulate and eloquent at public speaking solely because she's well read. i mentioned that that may be a huge contributing factor. i only pointed that one aspect out because she's one of the few young actresses i came across who reads a great deal, and shares her enthusiasm for reading with her colleagues. that is one of many things that i admire about her, and i just like to emphasize that nerdy part about her.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/78616bb4jw1dhzk6s6tq3j.jpg')

i never said that she was articulate and eloquent at public speaking solely because she's well read. i mentioned that that may be a huge contributing factor. i only pointed that one aspect out because she's one of the few young actresses i came across who reads a great deal, and shares her enthusiasm for reading with her colleagues. that is one of many things that i admire about her, and i just like to emphasize that nerdy part about her.
    I was making a general statement that eloquence isn't achieved simply by having read a lot of books, and it was not directly aimed at YM. In any case, it's quite refreshing to know that she likes to read and isn't another Victoria Beckham.

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Well Asians in general are "smaller-boned" than Westerners, so it's not just lack of muscle. Both a skinny Asian and a skinny Westerner will have very little fat, but the average Asian will also probably have much less bone mass. In fact I think for the "obesity cutoffs", Asians are expected to have a smaller waist circumference and BMI (i.e. they are classified as "obese" at a lower cutoff) because genetically they are just smaller and more "fragile" in stature.
    ARGH, I keep forgetting how tiny Asians truely are! When they're on screen, it's not so evident. Now that you mentioned it, they are definitely small-boned.

Beijing Love Story trailer. I'm actually very fond of Li Chen; can't wait to see his onscreen chemistry with YM. Actually another actor I hope YM get paired up with is Du Chun...I feel like he's a much better actor than Ming Dao...If only I can switch Ming Dao for Du Chun...

http://you.video.sina.com.cn/api/sin...+cPgi1RU/s.swf

Not sure if anyone posted this picture before...

FSF and YM's first film project together...I think she was 17 at the time, before she acted in Condor Heroes.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o390/jolecole/053a2e9bd74a1ff6c9eaf4a7.jpg')

8 years later...gosh..I feel old...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o390/jolecole/543f1055ed838b91b745ae9a-1.jpg')
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-08-11 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Maybe Asians in Asia. I'd argue this with a picture of my Asian American brother and entire family...but then he'd be super pissed off at me! I didn't know Asians were expected to have a smaller cut off rate for obesity! Besides, YM is an actress, she's bound to be smaller than the average person.

Yang Mi looks so different in her younger pic with FSF! Look at all that baby fat on her cheeks!
    Last edited by ByTmE; 06-08-11 at 07:42 PM.
    I like me.