Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

oh...am looking forward to the yang mi news. welcome back mango_cake.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Bringing this over from Ru Yi's thread (because I got super sidetracked while typing the reply...still doesn't quite fit in here but I feel less guilty sidetracking Yang Mi's thread since a lot of these series involve her, haha):

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    What ancient historical series are you planning to watch next?
    I'm thinking "Da Qin Di Guo" will be a perfect follow-up to HFCQ. Hopefully by then, DQZD will be available for download so it'll be another perfect continuation! (Incidentally, I saw Yesasia selling DQZD DVDs but I don't know if it's actually out or genuine?? )

Actually, I think someone should make a chronological list of historical series so I can marathon through Chinese history in fun drama-style, heheh. What I can think of so far:

- "Great Revival" (with Ady! ^_^) -- Spring-Autumn period
    - several series revolving around Sun Zi's "Art of War" -- late Spring-Autumn period
    - "Hu Fu Chuan Qi" (with YM)-- Warring States period, before the fall of the other 6 kingdoms
    - "Da Qin Di Guo" (with GYY) -- Warring States period, up to Qin conquering China
    - "Da Qin Zhi Dao" (with YM)-- Qin dynasty
    - "Legend of Chu and Han" -- Chu-Han contention period, between Qin and Han
    - "Mei Ren Xin Ji" (with YM) -- early Han (although, more "idol" than "serious" drama)
    - "Da Han Tian Zi" (more idol-ish) or "Han Wu Da Di" (serious) -- middle Han, during Han Wudi's rule
    - "Wang Zhao Jun" (with YM) -- late Han
    - "Mu Yi Tian Xia" (with TLY) -- late Han (emperor after the one in Wang Zhaojun)
    - "Three Kingdoms" -- post-Han

And then...it seems like we kinda hit a gap. Until the many dramas about Mulan, then the ones set in Tang dynasty about Wu Zetian and Yang Guifei...then later all the series about the Yang Warriors (between Tang/Song). I also want to catch "Hong Wu Da An" (where YM has a supporting role)--sounds like a pretty good drama set in the Ming dynasty!

After that we have lots of Qing dramas about KangXi, YongZheng, and Qianlong, of course... (Although most are super-fictional idol-ish dramas...)
    Last edited by mango_cake; 02-19-12 at 11:38 PM.

...oh, and for any FengMi fans still left (lol), just a fair warning that they have *very* little screentime with each other in HFCQ. Someone in the Baidu FengMi forums did a screencap summary of HFCQ and I counted 17 scenes between them throughout the entire 30-episode series. O_o Five of which are literally 2 second scenes. So it's like one scene per 2 episodes...has any other series had so little screentime between the male and female lead? (And still managed to make the romance believable??)

However, it certainly feels like much more because MANY of their individual scenes relate to each other. A hilarious comment I read--"HFCQ = the epic love story between Ruji/Gan Jiang and Xinling Jun/Mo Ye". (Gan Jiang and Mo Ye are a legendary pair of swords, like a "couple". Mo Ye belongs to Ruji while Gan Jiang belongs to Xinling Jun; at one point they exchange swords (to symbolize "promising" themselves to each other) so the two spend a lot of time lovingly staring at/admiring/stroking/polishing/talking to the swords in lieu of the actual other person who they are separated from, LMAO. I know it sounds super cheesy but I actually liked the scenes. XD)

Anyways, they definitely make their scenes together count and there's so much other interesting stuff going on that I can't really complain! (Except for the last 9 episodes, where they have no scenes together until the very end...the last third of the series was also when the plot started slowing down a bit. T_T)

(Edit: I was just reading up on the actual story of Gan Jiang/Mo Ye from the Warring States period (no relation to Ruji/Wuji in history though) and......dude, what a gruesome-sounding story. O_o Ok, I am now convinced that "historians" of that time just had really big imaginations and substantial embellishing abilities because half of the stuff seriously sounds way too dramatic and the "stuff of legends" to be real. )
    Last edited by mango_cake; 02-20-12 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    I'm thinking "Da Qin Di Guo" will be a perfect follow-up to HFCQ. Hopefully by then, DQZD will be available for download so it'll be another perfect continuation! (Incidentally, I saw Yesasia selling DQZD DVDs but I don't know if it's actually out or genuine?? )
    DQDG was actually released several years ago in 2008 so it's definitely available for d/l and on sale.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...-Gao-Yuan-Yuan
    Although such historical dramas can be rather heavy & boring imo, I have to say that DQDG is an excellent production and one of the more exciting & well-shot serious historical dramas I've watched. You should definitely watch it if u have the time.

Edit: Sorry, I thought u meant DQDG but u meant DQZD!!
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 02-20-12 at 09:10 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

I was just watching Yuan Hong's segment with the little children on that one show and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the full bits with Yang Mi and/or Tang Yan? I know they've all been on that show and it looks adorable. I saw pictures a while back but can't remember if videos got uploaded
    Yang Mi, Liu Shi Shi, Tang Yan = my young golden three

The previous YT links to HFCQ I posted seem to have been taken down, so I also uploaded episode 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msSLs2Ugufo) and provided updated links to episode 3 onward in the description.

Quote Originally Posted by snowyjasmine View Post
    I was just watching Yuan Hong's segment with the little children on that one show and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the full bits with Yang Mi and/or Tang Yan? I know they've all been on that show and it looks adorable. I saw pictures a while back but can't remember if videos got uploaded
    Here's a YT link to Yang Mi's episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDy72GCJSg0

I'm not sure if Tang Yan's is out yet--I saw pictures of her doing the filming just recently and a clip where she phoned Yuan Hong & Yang Mi, but dunno if the full thing is released?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Although such historical dramas can be rather heavy & boring imo, I have to say that DQDG is an excellent production and one of the more exciting & well-shot serious historical dramas I've watched. You should definitely watch it if u have the time.
    Yup, I just downloaded the first ep and it seems to be a really grand production too--there are a lot of historical dramas but most of them actually look not-that-high-budget (I'd say most of YM's historical dramas including HFCQ fall in this category). I personally don't mind as long as the story is good, but it's a definite bonus if it has excellent production!

I agree that some historical dramas can be a bit too serious...probably why my favourite type of dramas are a mix of historical and fiction--e.g. HFCQ, Da Han Tian Zi, Mei Ren Xin Ji (first half), Shao Nian Yang Jia Jiang--all are based on true events and characters, and you can actually imagine them *possibly* happening in history (HFCQ and DHTZ more so; MRXJ and SNYJJ veer much more towards the fictional "idol"-ish side of things) but they all inject a lot of made-up, fictional stuff too to make the story more compelling. (I feel kinda guilty for it because I'm sure these dramas drive the real history buffs crazy with their inaccuracies and creative liberties! But they are just funner to watch than the dead-serious dramas--although I do enjoy some of those as well. XD)

Oooh I just read news that apparently, Yang Mi said in an interview she will be filming another TV series in the second half of this year! (I haven't seen the video yet to confirm this though.) I hope this doesn't just mean a cameo role or something.

I'm also going to be selfish and hope it's an ancient series, heheh. (Although her fans point out that a well-written modern script would be more beneficial for her career...but if she's only doing one TV series a year, I want it to be something I love watching. ^_^

Anyways, I believe Yang Mi was recently in Thailand shooting for "Piao Rou" who she has an endorsement with. Seems like she actually has time now to do some sight-seeing. Some pics: (More updates of YM at recent events to come!)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/652a1ee9jw1dq8qkke7ppj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/652a1ee9jw1dq8qh1logkj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/652a1ee9jw1dq8qdv8z12j.jpg')

Thanks mango_cake for the link! YM looks really cute and fresh in Thailand. I know this is wishful thinking as it would never happen, but as I'm reading translations for Da Mo Yao (because my Chinese isn't quite good enough to read the original) I was thinking that YM would make a perfect Li Yan. It would be a great role too, since the character is complex and scheming.

Just wanted to chime in here and say I'm liking Yang Mi more and more as time has gone on. I've always appreciated her in a general way for her looks and talent (which are undeniable, though they may not be to everyone's taste). But since her popularity has blown up I've been impressed by how she's handled herself, despite the heavy workload and media/fan scrutiny of her relationships. A lot of the criticisms that have been thrown her way I think are unfair, whether regarding her choice of mate or that of her recent projects. At the moment it's not an ideal situation with her agency (which from impressions seems to treat her as a cash cow), but I think she's smart enough to gain what she needs out of these experiences. Here's hoping her health holds up and that she continues to succeed in her career.

Lovely hair in the Thailand pics!

Thanks mango_cake for the link! YM looks really cute and fresh in Thailand. I know this is wishful thinking as it would never happen, but as I'm reading translations for Da Mo Yao (because my Chinese isn't quite good enough to read the original) I was thinking that YM would make a perfect Li Yan. It would be a great role too, since the character is complex and scheming.
    Well, Yu Zheng is going to film Song In Cloud (sequel to Da Mo Yao) this year and I've been hearing for the longest time that Yang Mi's the lead girl.
    I ship Shi-Harem

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Well, Yu Zheng is going to film Song In Cloud (sequel to Da Mo Yao) this year and I've been hearing for the longest time that Yang Mi's the lead girl.
    As nice as it is to see her lead, YZ is crap and I want her to stay far away from his adaptations of anything. Plus I've heard Yun Zhong Ge is a sad mess, so I'd rather see her in a quality drama even as a supporting character.

Snowy here is a YT link to Tang Yan's episode:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI3wfBQlqaE

YM updates to come soon (was just busy updating FSF's thread since I neglected that too, lol ) but in the meantime, I just came across this gorgeous still of Yang Mi in HFCQ:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i43.tinypic.com/rkqvev.jpg')

I can't even remember what scene this is from...but her blue costume is definitely my favourite! Maybe I'll do a mini-picspam of all her looks in HFCQ (there aren't that many anyways) since I like them so much. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by ailinon View Post
    Just wanted to chime in here and say I'm liking Yang Mi more and more as time has gone on. I've always appreciated her in a general way for her looks and talent (which are undeniable, though they may not be to everyone's taste). But since her popularity has blown up I've been impressed by how she's handled herself, despite the heavy workload and media/fan scrutiny of her relationships. A lot of the criticisms that have been thrown her way I think are unfair, whether regarding her choice of mate or that of her recent projects. At the moment it's not an ideal situation with her agency (which from impressions seems to treat her as a cash cow), but I think she's smart enough to gain what she needs out of these experiences. Here's hoping her health holds up and that she continues to succeed in her career.

Lovely hair in the Thailand pics!
    Also wanted to add that I think shes a good friend for acting in Beijing Love Story. From what I heard her role seems pretty thankless, but she took it to help out Chen Sicheng, who was making his directing debut. Its a gutsy decision, and in the long run I think it will help her grow beyond the idol niche and be considered for a wider range of characters.

i'm really curious which series ym will be doing the end of this year. i hope it's a memorable one (in a good way) and a grand one. =p
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i43.tinypic.com/rkqvev.jpg')

YM so purtty.... She n HG kinda similar how they both look good in every ancient clothing.... even in modern too...

^ Definitely agree, these two have such gorgeous features--especially both their noses, so high and sharp! (Keeps making me think of their CP3 kiss scene where they accidentally bumped into each other making YM's nose bleed...HG once joked about having problems when both people doing the kiss scene had too high nose bridges, and I think that was in reference to the YM incident, haha. )

YM's HFCQ look now tops my list of favourite looks of hers--along with WZJ and MRXJ (definitely not a coincidence that all of these feature Han-style clothing! ). Although, her JCSS and Xiao Qian looks were also lovely.

Anyways, just started watching DQDG and it's funny that once again the movie starts out with Qin vs. Wei as the focus! (Although, from the synopsis I just read, it seems to actually take place 100 years before HFCQ??) I also wonder if these historical series all use some stock footage for some of their battle scenes because I SWEAR, in the opening sequence of both HFCQ and DQDG, there is an IDENTICAL scene of soldiers on horseback splashing through the water! (I noticed this only because I thought it was a pretty cool shot when I saw it in the HFCQ opening; so then after watching DQDG right after...I couldn't help but notice they were the same! ) Or maybe HFCQ just stole it from DQDG, haha...it makes sense to reuse the battle scenes though--after all, they can't be cheap to film!
    Last edited by mango_cake; 02-21-12 at 11:50 PM.

sadly, her costumes from her movies are not so great. i don't understand why movie costume designers go for crazy and unflattering styles for their actresses. they get a bit too creative and it impacts the end result.

^ True. Maybe it'll turn out better on the big screen?

Anyways, I think apparently both HFCQ and Ru Yi finished airing on TV today (what a coincidence ). Although, HFCQ hasn't really "properly" aired yet since it won't be broadcast nationwide till the summer. I think Yang Mi has a really good mix of dramas aired in 2012--"Gong 2" for those who like idol-ancient series (younger people), "Beijing Love Story" for those who like serious modern-day dramas, "Ru Yi" for the those who love Qiong Yao-style and Min Guo dramas (a lot of older women), "Hu Fu Chuan Qi" for those who like historical and war-time dramas (including a lot of older men). She's pretty much got her bases covered...now if only she could do another wuxia drama...

New pics released for Eminu's spring 2012 collection: (This is the same clothing line that YM did the cute photoshoots for last year from spring to winter. The photoshop is kinda excessive and makes her look a bit freakishly young...like preteen lol! But I guess that is fitting for this clothing line. And the pics do have a very "cute, fresh, & flirty" look. )

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i39.tinypic.com/ou8w3q.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i41.tinypic.com/1zgw6eh.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i44.tinypic.com/2zppd94.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i44.tinypic.com/xel9o8.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i41.tinypic.com/555yki.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i42.tinypic.com/208fos8.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i44.tinypic.com/34g4ity.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/7cfe2d9fjw1dqb9em84ovj.jpg')
    Last edited by mango_cake; 02-22-12 at 06:31 PM.