Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    As happy as i am for ym's career now that she is producing series, it makes me sad to know that less of her time will be spent acting. She is truly the only actress i adore from her generation. Well, i actually like ady a lot too but stopped adoring her for unknown reasons. I already have no one to look forward to in series these days butto know that there will be less of her in the big screen is also disappointing even though i don't care for movies much.
    Same here, I do adore a lot of actresses but no one else right now appeals to me onscreen the way YM does. Actually, I think I would adore Shu Chang just as much (she also has that unique appeal and charisma onscreen, and in fact probably has better acting skills, though she is less stunning in terms of looks than YM) but unfortunately she just doesn't have that many series out for me to watch so far. (Though I do have quite a number of SC's older dramas on my (extremely long) "to-watch" list too!)

I don't think YM will be acting too much less just because she is also producing--it still sounds like she has a pretty full filming schedule planned for the rest of the year (although less crazy than before, but that's probably for the best since she was long overdue for a break). And I definitely also prefer TV dramas over movies, but I guess that hasn't quite kicked in for me yet because there are still so many of her dramas I haven't gotten around to watching yet, so that should keep me preoccupied for some time at least.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflakesdance View Post
    I think she really has small eyes even if she stretches them (example left bottom pic) and her face/cheeks doesn't look puffy at all. But her skin does look dry that's why I said she seems like she hasn't slept for a long time. But then I'm not sure about that. I'm just basing it on the dryness of her skin on the pic and not what was actually written in that weibo post. So yeah, the "little sleep" is just my guess.
    I personally think that's just a bad shot of her, esp the angle, which is taken upwards, making her features seem smaller but her nose, more flared. Plus, her eyes are half closed in the 2nd pic frm the left. Anyhow, her eyes usually look nice 90% of the time, even in non-professional shots. I don't think its fair to base a judgement on one bad pic. E.g. Vicki Zhao is well known for her large, sparkling eyes but I've seen a couple of "bad day" pics where her eyes look dreadful. I do agree that YM doesn't have fantastic skin but she's well known for her pretty and rather expressive eyes, which she does tap on quite abit when acting. Though of course they're made more attractive with makeup (false lashes, mascara, eyeliner etc.) onscreen- just like any other actress.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    I personally think that's just a bad shot of her, esp the angle, which is taken upwards, making her features seem smaller but her nose, more flared. Plus, her eyes are half closed in the 2nd pic frm the left. Anyhow, her eyes usually look nice 90% of the time, even in non-professional shots. I don't think its fair to base a judgement on one bad pic. E.g. Vicki Zhao is well known for her large, sparkling eyes but I've seen a couple of "bad day" pics where her eyes look dreadful. I do agree that YM doesn't have fantastic skin but she's well known for her pretty and rather expressive eyes, which she does tap on quite abit when acting. Though of course they're made more attractive with makeup (false lashes, mascara, eyeliner etc.) onscreen- just like any other actress.
    It doesn't really matter if her eyes are small or big. And I'm not judging her for that (I'm not even judging her at all). I'm just relaying what I think I see on those pics. And comparing them from when she has make up. But if you want to know my judgement of her on that pic, I think she's still pretty and even prettier than some other actresses with make up on. In fact, even if her eyes are small, she'd still look pretty. As for expressive eyes, I'm sure she can do it even if they make her eyes smaller just because she's a natural actress. As for the flared nose, I couldn't see that. I think her nose is still pretty in those pics. The only noticeable thing for me is her dry skin, which
    喜欢一个人不就是应该让她感到幸福,让她快乐。别给他带来困扰 - 孟天楚/刑名师爷

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/6152056bjw1dr3x8g6holj.jpg')

I guess YM's eyes aren't really that big.
    Not only a bad angle but unflattering choice of expressions while speaking. I don't think many of us would look any better in any of the same shots or mannerisms haha. Scrolling through the thread really quickly, I didn't recognize her at first glance. I've never thought her eyes as being HUGE but she has bright intelligent dark pupils and deep double eyelids that certainly benefit from professional makeup.

I think we are all just mildly surprised by the candid shots (which are actually really fun, in my opinion) but none of us are really shocked or upset about her normal look lol
    Last edited by ByTmE; 03-19-12 at 01:08 PM.
    I like me.

Oops my bad... I live in a place where big eyes are natural thing so her eyes does look really small to me. At least not how I thought they were. I don't think I've seen any childhood/teenage pics of her (except for the one from ROCH). I'd love to see some. Can you point me to where I can see them?
    Guess it's all relatively speaking then. I'll go see if I can find the younger pics of YM, I think I have a couple saved on my computer...

Though I wouldn't say YM have the "largest" eyes among actresses--e.g. I think Vicki's eyes are larger. But I do think YM's are the prettiest--from the shape, and the "ling qi" (emotions etc) she exudes with them.

Actually it's a pity because I find YM's eyes to be larger and "brighter" in her younger days (watching her newer and older series consecutively made it more obvious). Not sure if it's due to aging or makeup (tends to be more "mature" nowadays so perhaps her eyes look less youthful/vivacious due to that).

We'll get to see trailers for YM's summer movies soon!! Today the first one for "Da Wudang" came out: (I'm hearing that we might be seeing "Vanishing Bullet" tomorrow and "Painted Skin 2" should be coming up soon as well! )

Link: http://video.sina.com.cn/p/ent/m/c/2...061697555.html (I'll upload to YT if a better quality one comes out)

The fight scenes look pretty cool! (I am still facepalming a bit from the fact that they're using "Mini Yang" as her name though... )

Shots of Yang Mi: (Can't really capture the fight scenes unfortunately)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/50ledh.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i42.tinypic.com/33uwyt2.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    We'll get to see trailers for YM's summer movies soon!! Today the first one for "Da Wudang" came out: (I'm hearing that we might be seeing "Vanishing Bullet" tomorrow and "Painted Skin 2" should be coming up soon as well! )

Link: http://video.sina.com.cn/p/ent/m/c/2...061697555.html (I'll upload to YT if a better quality one comes out)

The fight scenes look pretty cool! (I am still facepalming a bit from the fact that they're using "Mini Yang" as her name though... )

Shots of Yang Mi: (Can't really capture the fight scenes unfortunately)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/50ledh.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i42.tinypic.com/33uwyt2.jpg')
    What's her English name? is it really Mini Yang?
    喜欢一个人不就是应该让她感到幸福,让她快乐。别给他带来困扰 - 孟天楚/刑名师爷

the movie premier is not until summer right?? isn't it a bit early to promote already?
    Life is such a rush. Every step I take, I must remind myself to slow down and enjoy the scenery along the way.Happiness is simple.

^ Well, most of them are being released June-ish, so there's only 3 months to go...that seems pretty standard in terms of getting a first trailer? None of them have really started actual promotion yet.

What's her English name? is it really Mini Yang?
    Based on some posters/trailers recently...I assume so.

thanks for the wu dang trailer. the fight scenes really look great. i've always thought that vincent zhao is underrated given his fighting skills and acting skills. perhaps it's his height that works to his disadvantage? anyhow, so glad the ym looks better on screen than in her wudang promo pictures. my main issue with the trailer is that there are so many matrix moments (where they have to show certain moves in super slow motion). i am actually looking forward to this series, but most likely all the best scenes were shown in the trailer.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Someone made a pretty cool gif of some of YM's fight scenes in Da Wudang:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i41.tinypic.com/25rd160.gif')

Anyways, Painted Skin 2 trailer just came out, it looks absolutely EPIC (scenery/cinematography is gorgeous). So excited for this movie!!

Yang Mi only has 3 shots (as to be expected since she is just a supporting role), but she looks super cute (very "gu ling jing guai" and fitting for a young "yao") when she says, "Aren't you a demon hunter? Never seen a real demon before?" ^_^ (Love the slightly mischievous/wicked expression!) Also there's a pretty cool scene of her in half-bird form.

Now just waiting for the "Vanishing Bullet" trailer...should be out any day! (I'm actually really excited for this one because we haven't seen any pics of YM yet--everything is so kept under-wraps--and I'm dying to see Yang Mi paired up with Nic Tse! )

Oh yes and almost forgot, here is a newly released poster of YM's other movie, "Pao Chu Yi Pian Tian" (On My Way). This is the one meant for Olympics promotion and stars a mix of actors (YM, Qi Wei, Mickey He) and athletes (Tian Liang etc). I don't think YM has many scenes in this movie (despite the fact that the poster makes it look that way...).

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/659d5fe2jw1dr52vgvv11j.jpg')

Honestly, I don't think Yang Mi is a very difficult name for westerners to pronounce. But I suspect they were going for "Minnie Yang". You might think Yang Mi was super short or something with her current english name.

I still don't know how I feel about YM's movie career. It's great that it's going well but I'm not a movie person at all. But apparently a lot of celebs move on to doing movies not only because of the cash but the working conditions are also much better....

there are some awkwardly translated articles on google about wudang. supposedly, ym performed the majority of her stunts for the movie...quite an impressive feat considering how terrible her martial arts were in cp3.

painted skin 2...not sure how i feel about it. it seems like there is a lot of homoerotic scenes between zhou xun and vicky's character...the entire movie looks sensual (not my cup of tea) and full of cgi (which i am totally fine with if done well). if it's not too gory then of course i'll catch it. otherwise, i can only live off of moviegoers' reviews. at this point, i think i may be the only one looking forward to wudang more than ps2.

i also strongly dislike ym's chosen english name. i understand that they want to make it unique and keep the "mi" portion, but calling someone mini seems kind of childish. it reminds me too much of austin power's "mini me." perhaps she should have changed it to minnie altogether, but i've always sort of dislike that name. maybe she should just have come up with a different english name instead. or just keep yang mi. it's so easy to pronounce even if us non-chinese speakers butcher it.
    Last edited by patricia n; 03-20-12 at 01:38 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Yeah, I think I've already made a "rant-post" about "Mini Yang" back when the name first appeared on her album... T_T Oh well, her career is mostly in China where people know her as "Yang Mi" so I'll live with occasionally seeing a weird butchered English name on posters/trailers once in awhile...

Anyways apparently both "Painted Skin" and "Vanishing Bullet" were scheduled to release their trailers at the exact same time right next door to each other today. (There seems to be some kind of film/TV festival going on in HK right now and YM has a ton of movies/dramas being showcased...including, apparently, two of her really old dramas, XFHBCXS and DMXN.) She also recently attended a press conference for Da Wudang...seems like her three summer movies will have to battle it out against each other in the box office.

Dunno why the "Vanishing Bullet" trailer is taking so long to be uploaded to the internet but I will definitely post it here when it's out!

A YM fan on weibo apparently attended the HK film/TV showcase thing and took pictures of the YM-related projects: (so far seems like there are 12? 7 TV shows + 5 movies, although she is just a supporting role/cameo in several of them!)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/6c4e2ad8jw1dr5cnlcm2ij.jpg')

XFHBCXS, Gong 2, On My Way, Mei Ren Tian Xia, Ru Yi, Gong, Ming Yun Jiao Xiang Qu, Painted Skin 2, Da Wudang...and apparently, a few others were showcased as well including DMXN, Love in the Buff, and Vanishing Bullet.

Yang Mi, FSF, the director, and other crew members at the HP2 press conference in HK: (Love her floral skirt here.)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/758d8861jw1dr67ij02vtj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/758d8861jw1dr67ramh1cj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/758d8861jw1dr67xb4gjoj.jpg')

She also attended press conferences for Love in the Buff and Da Wudang, I'll post pictures of those tomorrow (sounds like she's been doing a lot of running around for various promo lately...I've almost given up keeping up-to-date with all the various March news... ). I guess maybe "Vanishing Bullet" got delayed because apparently it is just starting now--last I read YM was still at the HP2 press conference so I'm not sure if she will make it to "Vanishing Bullet"...I hope she does though because she missed the initial press conference already! (I think it was back in Jan or so when filming just finished.)

So YM didn't show up for the "Vanishing Bullet" press conference (too bad, this is the second one she missed!). Mei Ah stated that it was because it took place at the same time as the Painted Skin 2 press conference who had invited her first. But, they promised she would attend another upcoming press conference to be held in Beijing. Can't wait, I really want to see her show up with Nic Tse, lol! (Speaking of whom, Nic looked pretty damn fine at the HK press conference... XD)

It's quite funny that the two were next door to each other--and both have a "FengMi" pairing, and even her character name is similar! (She acts as Que'er in HP2 and Yun Que in Vanishing Bullet.) I would've rather she'd gone to the Vanishing Bullet one (after all, she is actually a main instead of the supporting cast there), but ah well.

In the meantime, two more pics from HP2:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/77eac41ajw1dr697jo9y2j.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/6e71393djw1dr68p0n10zj.jpg')

Apparently, FSF said that he had been working out a lot for his in White Vengeance; so when he got to the Hua Pi 2 set, the director told him to lose weight so he could be skinny for that role. As a result, he had to go on a strict diet and often went hungry, and was always jealous watching Yang Mi eat away at all the good food, haha.

While I was waiting for news updates today...I made some gifs of YM's scenes in the trailers.

Da Wudang:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/8e17a01egw1dr6fsh0gh1g.gif')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/8e17a01egw1dr6fq94dl2g.gif')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/8e17a01egw1dr6fol4ciug.gif')

The trailer for "The Bullet Vanishes" (apparently this is what they're translating it to...personally I like "Vanishing Bullet" better but oh well) is out and OMG...it looks soooo good!!! Totally my type of movie, suspense/thriller/mystery! I got chills watching it...

Link: http://video.sina.com.cn/p/ent/m/c/2...061698513.html

Now I can't decide if I'm more excited for "Painted Skin 2" or "The Bullet Vanishes". (Kind of gives me a bit of "Infernal Affairs"/"The Departed" vibe, which incidentally is one of my favourite movies ever...)

Only one quick shot of Yang Mi in this trailer...it's strange how she seems to be kept so on the low-down for this movie (we barely got any filming news of her, only one blurry pic of her filming and it was from the back quite some distance away, no stills yet, she didn't attend either of the 2 press conferences...and now she's barely in the trailer...even the movies where she just has a cameo role gets promoted more than this! )

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i41.tinypic.com/vddf8y.jpg')

Is it just me or does this pic of her doesn't really seem to fit with the description of her being one of those "nightclub/singer girls"?? She looks more like a spy or something, heheh! I hope her character actually does have a double-identity/mystery background type thing going on.

Also, I'm posting this here too because Nic Tse looks so damn fine in those Min Guo era suits with a gun.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i41.tinypic.com/3539njc.jpg')

I haven't even recovered yet from Li DongXue in DMXN yet (second time around), now comes Nic Tse who is 10x hotter... XD I swear the Min Guo/suits/guns combo gets me every time! ^_^
    Last edited by mango_cake; 03-20-12 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks for all the goodies as usual mango! Mini Yang? Is that seriously her English name? I hope its just a translation error 'cause it really sounds kiddy & cartoonish.

All 3 trailers look pretty good and YM looks best in the Wudang one (sleek, mysterious, kickarse etc.). This is the type of role I love seeing her play best! Hua Pi 2 looks grand, majestic and all but I agree with pat that the CGI's kinda overdone (nice scenery though, was it filmed in Tibet?) and I actually have no idea what the general plot is based on the trailer. The story is not related to Hua Pi 1 right?

Vanishing Bullets actually seems to have a rather intriguing storyline though have to say that guns, violence & gore are not my cup of tea. Plus, YM only appeared for like less than a split sec in the trailer? I doubt she's playing a leading role..probably a supporting/guest role like in Hua Pi 2, or even lesser screen time. Hence, the little/no news about her in that movie & her absence from the press conferences.

Btw, I like the sweet & clean look she sported for the Hua Pi conference.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 03-20-12 at 09:14 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool