Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    P.S. did anyone ever mention the story behind YM's name? (Just thought of it since I've been seeing a lot of interviews where she explains her name; I remember when she was not as famous, it'd be funny cause it's not a very common character--only used in math/science--so media people would pronounce it wrong all the time, e.g. "Yang Mu" or "Yang Ming".) Anyways, her last name is Yang (obviously), her dad's last name is Yang (obviously) but her mom's last name is coincidentally also Yang. So when she was born the family had 3 Yang's (Yang Yang Yang). Apparently her parents actually considered calling her Yang Yang or Yang Yang Yang (ok I think YM was joking about that last one lmao), but they thought it sounded weird/childish. So, they decided to be all mathematic/scientific and call her Yang Mi, where "Mi" means "power of". i.e. she is "Yang to the power of (3)". Lol! (Although, it also sounds the same as the word for "sweet", so the nickname "Mi Mi" is quite cute as well.)

In one interview YM jokingly said, "you can call me 'Yang squared' or 'Yang cubed!' " Haha.
    Hey, I just realise one of her nicks is 狐小幂 (Little Fox Mi) - probably in reference to her gutsy personality. And she's played a fox demon quite a few times in her series, LOL.

Yup, I think it was one of the nicknames she had with her old high school friends but she's kept using it since. Her best friend is nicknamed "cat" I think? And I definitely think it fits her personality, she's quite foxy for sure...very clever but rather sly/sneaky--just look at the way she manages to effectively evade the media all the time! Plus her sharp tongue--seems like most people can't escape her rather sardonic wit. And her cool "don't give a damn" attitude towards the malicious rumours about her. (But then she can be such a cute little fox too at times. )

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    And she's played a fox demon quite a few times in her series, LOL.
    ...apart from Liao Zhai, when has she played a fox demon?? In MRTX? Does that count, I was pretty confused from the trailer what exactly she was supposed to be...

...apart from Liao Zhai, when has she played a fox demon?? In MRTX? Does that count, I was pretty confused from the trailer what exactly she was supposed to be...
    Yep, she is a fox demon in MRTX morphing into a human form to repay her gratitude for Li Zhi, I think.
    Need to stop being lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Yep, she is a fox demon in MRTX morphing into a human form to repay her gratitude for Li Zhi, I think.
    What the heck, that is so weird, MRTX is supposed to be a historical (and I use this term very loosely since it's a YZ series, but still) series, not a fantast/mythology series, why is he incorporating a random fox spirit into the storyline?! That just throws the whole thing totally out of reality (even though I do love YM as a fox spirit). Actually that's why I just thought, in the series everyone was mistaken when they thought she was a demon but she's actually just human. (Because doesn't she die in the end, how can a demon spirit get killed that easily by an arrow??)

Actually I really wanted to see YM semi-reprise her Liao Zhai fox spirit role again in Hua Pi 2, but knew it probably wouldn't be too possible since Zhou Xun was a fox spirit in the original Hua Pi (dunno if she continues the same role in HP2). Well, a bird demon should be pretty interesting too, I just wonder what kind of bird it is... ^_^

Actually Yu Zheng will be incorporating a lot of supernatural/fantasy elements in Mei Ren Tian Xia and focusing on Wu Mei Niang's plot to usurp the Empress position (time period when Wu Zetian was a palace concubine). Also to differentiate it from Hunan TV's bigger budget Secret History of Wu Zetian which focuses on her reign.

Ooh, I saw this random pic of a YH-YM tender moment while browsing through the LUX official weibo, LOL.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/771338e5tw1dk8k5lrgfbj.jpg')

Talking about foxes, she named herself short-haired little fox here, LOL.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/473df571jw1dk8nmlcm1rj.jpg')
    Last edited by xiaolong; 08-17-11 at 12:13 PM.

YM update: not much news in the past few days since she's recently been laying low hard at work filming--"Ru Yi" filming is completely finished and I believe all the Beijing filming for HP2 is done as well. I'm not sure if she has any more HP2 scenes in other locations--FSF said he still had filming left in Tibet in October, but I think I read somewhere before that YM does not have any scenes there (correct me if I'm wrong!) so she might be all done with HP2...

Anyhow, I thought she had a bit of time to slightly relax after finishing those 2 major projects...but then it turns out she's actually already started filming another movie!! O_o It hasn't been officially announced or anything at all--all the "news" seems to be from various people's weibos?--apparently the director is pretty big-name though...it's called "春娇与志明", the sequel to a 2010 movie "志明与春娇" (supposedly HXM will have a role as well). Pretty sure YM is not one of the leads but I don't know if it's just a cameo or a significant supporting role. Since she doesn't start work on her two bigger projects till late Sep/Oct, I guess she's doing smaller stuff and attending a couple of events in between. I kinda wish she could've used this time to film "Wang De Sheng Yan" instead since she would've had minor roles in both, but WDSY appeals to me a lot more than this movie. Ah well, I guess the timing just didn't work out for that one,

Yesterday she attended a promo event for Veet (wearing the same dress she had on for a few of the promo pics from before):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9jw1dkammp59aij.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9jw1dkameoycbhj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9jw1dkamxezfy7j.jpg')

The event looked so pretty and fancy:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i51.tinypic.com/23tmlmv.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/764dd03fgw1dk9wshnzjkj.jpg')

Tonight she'll be attending another glitzy event (it sounds like Nicky Wu and Ruby Lin, among others, will also be attending...probably FSF as well but there are conflicting reports) so there'll probably be more pics tomorrow!
    Last edited by mango_cake; 08-19-11 at 12:55 AM.

thanks for the update. and thanks for posting that leaked photo of ym from hp2. she has gorgeous eyes! and she looks beautiful in that dress. i can understand why she would rewear that dress. i wish it was longer to cover her feet, but the top alone is so elegant and the dress flows beautifully. can't wait to see more updates.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

I agree, I just wish the dress was a bit longer too!

News report video here: http://www.letv.com/ptv/vplay/1316458.html#n=1

Apparently they had 10 girls "compete" to be in a Veet commercial with YM? So anyways, she was one of the "judges".

Cute bits: YM playing with her pen while judging (one of her trademark moves now heehee), and doing a catwalk for the fans (looking a bit shy/embarrassed, then shushing the audience when they start cheering ). Her hairstyle is so cool, I want to know how they did those big swirls in the bun at the back!

Though without any of her good friends at the event YM is in complete "Yu Jie" (cold/aloof) mode! I miss her cute giggly smiles when she's with someone she knows well.

Edit: Oops I may have mixed up the events--I previously said Tang Yan would be at the event tonight as well but I think that may be a different event on Aug. 26th (which YM will also be attending)...at any rate I'm pretty sure she's attending one of them so maybe just maybe we will get a TY/YM reunion pic, if we're lucky? ^_^

One of the promo posters for the awards show event (it's sponsored by Lux apparently? You can spot YM, FSF, Ruby, and Nicky--I'm not all that familiar with the rest):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/62914deajw1dk9reiwz6rj.jpg')
    Last edited by mango_cake; 08-19-11 at 01:22 AM.

Oh wow, I'm looking forward to seeing FengMi on stage YM teasing him, FSF's good-natured laughs
    One of the promo posters for the awards show event (it's sponsored by Lux apparently? You can spot YM, FSF, Ruby, and Nicky--I'm not all that familiar with the rest):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/62914deajw1dk9reiwz6rj.jpg')

Jane Zhang and Hangeng are also there. Jane is a good friend of YM's too! She gave her singing lessons
    Yang Mi, Liu Shi Shi, Tang Yan = my young golden three

wow, lots of big names/famous (in china, anyway. lol) celebs going! i want pictures of nicky

Will add more HQ pics and better updates later on but for now a teaser pic of YM: (on stage accepting an award--Ruby Lin is beside her; click for big pic)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/823bf57egw1dkb82a70fdj.jpg')

No time to post a full update of the event now but I simply cannot resist another FengMi fangirl update due to their adorable weibo updates!! XD (Forgive me for veering a bit more into speculation territory than usual...) So this time the organizers decided not to have FengMi sit next to each other; instead they arranged for them to sit opposite (the stage sort of sticks out in the middle, so both of them have front-row seats but directly across from each other).

Anyways, first FSF posts this: (pic is blurry because FengMi are sitting really far away from each other so he had to REALLY zoom in; and yes those 3 hilarious smileys are what he posted!)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.t.sinajs.cn/t35/style/images/common/face/ext/normal/7e/hei_org.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.t.sinajs.cn/t35/style/images/common/face/ext/normal/6a/laugh.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.t.sinajs.cn/t35/style/images/common/face/ext/normal/6a/laugh.gif')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/62014645jw1dkb65m2e8vj.jpg')

Omg!!! Btw the girl next to YM is her agent who seems to also be taking a pic of FSF, haha.

Then 18 minutes later YM posts this:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/473df571jw1dkb6opevt9j.jpg')

Sneaky girl, the focus is on Jane Zhang performing (the accompanying text is also YM commenting on how lovely Jane looks)...however you can totally see FSF in the picture too, directly across from YM. It looks like he has his head down...here's a close-up shot of FSF, notice how everyone else is looking up at the stage while FSF totally seems to be playing with his phone instead, hehe:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/823bf57egw1dkb6ny2964j.jpg')

And look who else seems to be busy with her phone: (also totally ignoring the stage which everyone else is focused on)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/6709d712jw1dkb63xjpsxj.jpg')

I swear these two must've been having fun texting/taking pics of each other during the whole event and then teasing one another on weibo, lmao. By the way, these were the ONLY two weibo updates FSF/YM made about the whole event. Yup, even though they both got awards that night and I'm sure they had lots of other friends there, they don't bother to post anything else. ^_^ (Well FSF is so obvious about it while YM is super subtle...perhaps we are over-speculating and she really does mean to just post about Jane Zhang, and FSF was just there as a fluke...but really?! It seems totally her style to "use" her other friends as a "cover-up", hehe.)

Even FSF's assistant couldn't resist teasing them on weibo, saying that them two sitting opposite each other reminds her of a song (loosely translates to "two people gazing at one another"). ^_^
    Last edited by mango_cake; 08-19-11 at 05:20 PM.

Oh mango cake, you are such a big fengmi fan, but sorry to burst your bubbles. Isn't that Jane change sitting two seats way fro ym? So there would be no reason for ym to focus on the stage if her good friend isn't on stage.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    Oh mango cake, you are such a big fengmi fan, but sorry to burst your bubbles. Isn't that Jane change sitting two seats way fro ym? So there would be no reason for ym to focus on the stage if her good friend isn't on stage.
    Haha yes I know, there's actually a cute pic of YM and Jane sitting together talking (one of them must've moved over into YM's agent's seat). There's also another cute one of YM and Ruby hugging onstage during their award acceptance (I'll post them later). (Edit: oh sorry I misunderstood your post, you mean since Jane Zhang isn't onstage YM shouldn't be looking at the stage? Well I dunno, seems to me like most people at these events would be watching the proceedings regardless, it's the "polite" thing to do...just look at everyone else around her. ^_^)

Anyways I totally admit that I and other FengMi fans may be going overboard with the speculation on this one so you can ignore that post if you'd like! ^_^ Actually if it weren't for FSF's post, I wouldn't be making this connection at all. However because it exists (thank god for FSF's obviousness) I think it's pretty suspicious that the two are linked...I mean, YM is never going to be obvious about it like FSF is, so this is probably the best we can get in terms of "YM taking a FSF pic". Again, we may be overthinking it, but over the past while it seems to be YM's style to do these subtle little things on her weibo that seem totally innocent if you do not look at it from a FengMi perspective, but looking at it from another view it's like she's giving us FengMi shippers little hints all the time! For example...I didn't post about it before because it's also a bit too much speculation...but recently YM's followers on weibo broke the 8 million fans mark. Coincidentally, at that moment the number of posts on her weibo was "1818"--sounds exactly like the phrase for "want 8, want 8" in Chinese--don't forget FSF=8th prince. Btw I don't think YM posted anything at all when her weibo fans broke 7 million. Now this might all just be coincidence of course. However, now check out the "screenshot" she posted:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/473df571jw1dk8ffzyy4xj.jpg')

Weibo has a feature that adds a personal watermark to the bottom right corner of any image you post. So if you look carefully you can actually see that YM "stole" this particular picture from a weibo called "FengMi discussion group". Out of all the many YM fans who made sure to screencapture this special moment (many of whom posted much higher quality pictures than this one), doesn't it seem suspicious that YM chooses to copy the pic from a FengMi shipper weibo? (If FengMi rumours are false why would she want to associate with it? She could easily have grabbed it from any one of the "YM-only" fan weibos. And it's a surprise she even knows this weibo exists because it is actually one of the "smaller" FengMi shipper weibos.) But again, most people wouldn't pick up on this detail because it's very, very subtle. I think YM was in a slightly more generous mood and decided to throw us FengMi shippers a bone (in her typical sneaky fashion). It's quite funny...FengMi shippers get plenty of hope from obvious stuff due to FSF (when he just can't seem to contain himself), while YM always seems to be crushing the hope (in media interviews etc by mercilessly shooting down the rumours--causing many FengMi shippers to actually be mad at her) but really in an "underhanded" way, I find that she's giving out just as many cute hints--you just have to read between the lines. ^_^

Call me crazy, I admit it! Some things can indeed be interpreted in many ways...but put it all together, and there seems to be too many coincidences to be just mere coincidences.
    Last edited by mango_cake; 08-20-11 at 01:41 AM.

Am confused. What is especial about the screen capture she stole? Is there anything of significance written on it? And don't worry...I love hearing you squeal about fengmi. It is the only update I get. Sorry, my iPad is acting out and editing my messages which is why a lot of things I post do not make sense. It edits our common nicknames for stars and all Asian name. It changed Jane zhang to Jane change. Eel....don't know how to deactivate this function.

Never mind...reread what you wrote and understood it. I think it is so sweet that fsf blatantly posted a pic if ym smiling mischievously at him.

Looking at the above pic of them sitting in the same row, both ym and jane have big boobs for their size.
    Last edited by patricia n; 08-19-11 at 07:00 PM.

More pic updates of the event as promised! (Don't worry my FengMi fangirling is mostly over for now, I promise...I just couldn't resist before because I was too excited, sorry! ^_^ That's also probably why I didn't make much sense patricia...haha.)

Unfortunately there are not many HQ pics of YM at the event since she did not walk the red carpet (it was actually a "blue carpet") because she was busy with work before the event so she went straight to her seat. Apparently she also had to rush back to work after the show finished at around 10pm. >_<

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i53.tinypic.com/1f8dhg.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i51.tinypic.com/2ciiad.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i55.tinypic.com/s28phv.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i54.tinypic.com/30sh6vb.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i55.tinypic.com/m991t4.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i51.tinypic.com/w9emfq.jpg')
    Last edited by mango_cake; 08-20-11 at 12:30 AM.

Lower quality but very cute "candids":

YM and her agent:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/652a1ee9gw1dkb9a1orpuj.jpg')

YM taking a pic of Jane Zhang performing:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9gw1dkb9f9m5fwj.jpg')

YM and Jane Zhang:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9gw1dkb9khk4vuj.jpg')

(Here's a low-quality video someone took, showing that Jane switched places with YM's agent. Seems to be taken by one of Jane Zhang's fan since the focus is on her. Both girls seemed to be having a lot of fun showing each other stuff on their phones, especially YM who keeps pointing at hers! :P And in fact...before Jane arrives, the person sitting beside YM's agent is none other than...FSF's agent!! Which is strange because FSF was on the opposite side of the stage--but anyways she first gets up and moves aside for Jane, then later after Jane/YM's agent switch seats you can see YM & FSF's agents chatting away together beside YM/Jane. ^_^)

YM and Ruby:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9gw1dkb9vg81tpj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9gw1dkbacem7eij.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9gw1dkbagei1gcj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9gw1dkbas544w7j.jpg')

YM accepting her award:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9gw1dkba0gpgwzj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/652a1ee9gw1dkba7izd8vj.jpg')

YM being interviewed afterwards:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/7e16b31fjw1dkb7m7gsw7j.jpg')

I disliked the sheer-bottomed white dress YM wore to that one event awhile ago to introduce Gong the movie with Ming Dao, but I do really love this white dress--including the sheer part at the bottom!

Sorry, but i'm gonna add a little to mango_cake's fengmi fangirling...lol

here's a picture of FSF taking a picture of YM he posted on weibo.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o390/jolecole/62bd1ed4gw1dkbwfqt4zlj.jpg')
    Need to stop being lazy...