17 17.00%
  • Suck

24 24.00%
  • Ok

39 39.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think Of TVB Today

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The acting discrepancies between the top TVB actors of the 1970s and 1980s and their counterparts today come down to training and experience.
    Even back in the 1970s and 1980s, TVB scripts and plots were formulaic, but they were well-crafted. Today, that craftsmanship is no longer evident; it all seems made on an assembly line now.
    Oh I 100% agree with you. The actors today seem to be picked for their good looks especially actresses. Absolute lack of polish and in some cases lack of actual acting talent. It isn't like HK is experiencing 100% employment! Why don't they start recruiting talent in high school? Have auditions and aptitude tests that anyone can go to regardless of money or connections and then train them; besides not everyone can get a seat in college or go to college overseas; this would be one alternate path for them.

Concerning Korean drama, I've only seen one (Autumn Colors/Eternal Love). That cast blows the socks off today's HK actors . And the director and writers know how to work up the audience.

I've been looking for TV series in China but even there it disappoints! The actors are frequently miscast, actresses get picked for their beauty (explicit example, Condor Heroes 2008's Mui Chiu Fong), the acting is SO shallow (Condor Heroes 2003's Yong Yi), and the script and direction tend to NOT capitalize on chances to hook the audience. It is as if these people are robots who studied emotion from a dictionary but never experienced it. With 1 billion people, you would think they could do better than this.
    Last edited by huk; 06-06-09 at 01:27 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Why am I not shocked to hear this from TC??? Have you even watched any China, Korean or Taiwanese series??? But then again even if you did, you are still as bias as ever. I think TVB can't compare to China and Taiwan these days... They are really downhill....
    I have watched plenty of series from Mainland China, few from Taiwan, and less than half a series of Korean (Too Draggy and unable to finish). Some of Mainland China's serials are good but they are moving at slower pace than TVB&ATV. Yes, their sceneries are much better than the ones producing in HK but sceneries is not that important to me (just a small bonus), storyline moving at a fast pace and hand to hand combat are much more important. Mainland china's serials use too much special effects. I also prefer HK's costumes over mainland china costumes. As for language, I watch them in vietnamese, so it's really doesn't matter whether it's cantonese or mandarin. For Korean, I have watched Dae Jin Kum (Nuoc mac dai truong kim). I couldn't finish the series because it's so draggy and the plot suck with too much crying. I have also watch part of other korean series but also couldn't finish them. I just can't stand a concept of sacrificing everything for love and get/expect nothing in return.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I've watch Taiwan, China and HK (TVB/ATV) series and HK series is still my preference. Maybe it's the language aspect. I still prefer listening to cantonese dialogue. But my most beloved is ATV's 90's dramas because I grew up watching those.

Secondly, China series might be better cinematography and overall acting wise, but, I don't think their plot are better than TVB. As for Taiwan, don't they now mostly produced idol dramas or neverending Hokkien series? Some of the actors in their idol dramas also can't act.

BTW, it's ok for Trien Chieu to think that TVB is the best. It's his opinion. No need to berate him for being bias. Everyone has their biases when it comes to the matter of taste.
    Well, I know it is a matter of opinion, but sadly some people are way too strong opinionated that it gets annoying. I like how you stated your opinion as opposed to TC, who overly praises TVB without even thinking about its flaws...

It is true that a number of the actors in the taiwanese series can't act, but that is true for TVB as well. They promote untalented people and people that have no acting experience at all(like the MS HK winners, gosh is their acting horrible).
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I agree with kidd. I've watch Taiwan, China, Korea & HK series too and I still prefer HK series. I dont know why maybe just like what kidd say is the language aspect. And the storyline, I still feel that TVB is better.

China series got a nice scenenary espically their ancient series but I just don't really like their series. As for Taiwan, they always like to film those idol dramas and hokkien series. Hokkien series is so boring & draggy, never end and I don't understand hokkien although they have dubb in mandarin. Idol dramas just selling their actress & actor pretty handsome face only, they don't really can act and their storyline to me is all the same. Korean series can be draggy too like Taiwan hokkien series, just a thing they can drag & drag. But I do enjoy some of the Korean series like Winter Sonata, Stairsway To Heaven, My Girl, Autumn In My Heart.

Just my point of view, no offence.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I've watch Taiwan, China and HK (TVB/ATV) series and HK series is still my preference. Maybe it's the language aspect. I still prefer listening to cantonese dialogue. But my most beloved is ATV's 90's dramas because I grew up watching those.

Secondly, China series might be better cinematography and overall acting wise, but, I don't think their plot are better than TVB. As for Taiwan, don't they now mostly produced idol dramas or neverending Hokkien series? Some of the actors in their idol dramas also can't act.

BTW, it's ok for Trien Chieu to think that TVB is the best. It's his opinion. No need to berate him for being bias. Everyone has their biases when it comes to the matter of taste.

TVB all the way!!!! China,taiwan and korean sucks big time.

Quote Originally Posted by skygarden View Post
    I agree with kidd. I've watch Taiwan, China, Korea & HK series too and I still prefer HK series. I dont know why maybe just like what kidd say is the language aspect. And the storyline, I still feel that TVB is better.

China series got a nice scenenary espically their ancient series but I just don't really like their series. As for Taiwan, they always like to film those idol dramas and hokkien series. Hokkien series is so boring & draggy, never end and I don't understand hokkien although they have dubb in mandarin. Idol dramas just selling their actress & actor pretty handsome face only, they don't really can act and their storyline to me is all the same. Korean series can be draggy too like Taiwan hokkien series, just a thing they can drag & drag. But I do enjoy some of the Korean series like Winter Sonata, Stairsway To Heaven, My Girl, Autumn In My Heart.

Just my point of view, no offence.
    Well all series from all companies have good and bad ones. TVB used to have a lot more good series and less not so good ones. However, lately I think they have more bad ones that are also redundant in storyline. Sometimes I watch a series and wonder if it was already used in another series... But that does not just apply to TVB, China, Taiwan and Korea are guilty of it too.

IN terms of acting overall, I would say that CHina has the best overall because most of them are all trained and have attended prestigious universities. TVB, on the other hand, no longer has the TVB acting class like before and they just promote actors and actresses that have no experience at all. I think a lot of the staff members that made TVB golden have all left to China or to do movies. Therefore, TVB is not how it used to be anymore.. But yea there are still a lot of die hard and loyal fans of TVB no matter what...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

This comment probably would belong in Global Series, but as it's relevant to the current discussion, I'll put it here.

One overlooked phenomenon affecting television series and movies EVERYWHERE...TVB, ATV, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, South Korea, Japan, even Hollywood, is the matter of pacing. Audiences in 2009 (especially young audiences) expect things to happen at a breakneck pace. This generation, raised with the Internet and cell phones, expect instant gratification. They don't have much patience; they want things to happen YESTERDAY. One of the most often-heard complaints of this generation when they watch older series is that they're "draggy." (i.e. too slow)

The thing is, great drama is something that requires patience. It's like drinking fine wine as opposed to chugging down cheap beer: fine wine takes a long time to cultivate and when you drink it, you need to sip it and swill it in your mouth for a while to fully appreciate it...not gulp it as if it were water.

Those "slow," "draggy" moments in older dramas? That's where the drama and the character development was built...when there was no real "action" going on, but we get to see the internal conflict that drives the character. These days, such scenes are dispensed with because audiences have no patience for them; they want all action (and I don't mean martial arts action, but just events happening) all the time and don't give a damn about spending time for character development or dramatic construction.

In that sort of environment, how can even great actors display their best work? How can writers and directors produce great scenes? All the talent in the world is useless if the audience has no patience to appreciate the crafting of good work, which requires time to unfold and the patience to let it unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    This comment probably would belong in Global Series, but as it's relevant to the current discussion, I'll put it here.

One overlooked phenomenon affecting television series and movies EVERYWHERE...TVB, ATV, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, South Korea, Japan, even Hollywood, is the matter of pacing. Audiences in 2009 (especially young audiences) expect things to happen at a breakneck pace. This generation, raised with the Internet and cell phones, expect instant gratification. They don't have much patience; they want things to happen YESTERDAY. One of the most often-heard complaints of this generation when they watch older series is that they're "draggy." (i.e. too slow)

The thing is, great drama is something that requires patience. It's like drinking fine wine as opposed to chugging down cheap beer: fine wine takes a long time to cultivate and when you drink it, you need to sip it and swill it in your mouth for a while to fully appreciate it...not gulp it as if it were water.

Those "slow," "draggy" moments in older dramas? That's where the drama and the character development was built...when there was no real "action" going on, but we get to see the internal conflict that drives the character. These days, such scenes are dispensed with because audiences have no patience for them; they want all action (and I don't mean martial arts action, but just events happening) all the time and don't give a damn about spending time for character development or dramatic construction.

In that sort of environment, how can even great actors display their best work? How can writers and directors produce great scenes? All the talent in the world is useless if the audience has no patience to appreciate the crafting of good work, which requires time to unfold and the patience to let it unfold.
    Go and watch Jumong http://www.hancinema.net/korean_drama_Jumong.php

Seodongyeo http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ballad_Of_Suh_Dong

Kingdom of the Winds http://wiki.d-addicts.com/The_Kingdom_of_The_Winds

Legend http://wiki.d-addicts.com/The_Story_...39;s_Four_Gods

Interestingly enough they are all korean dramas and most of them have Song II Gook as the protagonist.

Onto the topic at hand though I really truly love tvb dramas and am currently waiting on the drama A Watchdog's tale which was supposed to have aired last night!

Is true that all series from all companies have good & bad ones. i agree that previously most of the actors/actress are from acting class and now is from miss hk, mr hk or maybe singer/dancer turn into actor/actress and so on.

i admit that i'm a loyal fan of TVB for so many years but i do agree what u say.

Well all series from all companies have good and bad ones. TVB used to have a lot more good series and less not so good ones. However, lately I think they have more bad ones that are also redundant in storyline. Sometimes I watch a series and wonder if it was already used in another series... But that does not just apply to TVB, China, Taiwan and Korea are guilty of it too.

IN terms of acting overall, I would say that CHina has the best overall because most of them are all trained and have attended prestigious universities. TVB, on the other hand, no longer has the TVB acting class like before and they just promote actors and actresses that have no experience at all. I think a lot of the staff members that made TVB golden have all left to China or to do movies. Therefore, TVB is not how it used to be anymore.. But yea there are still a lot of die hard and loyal fans of TVB no matter what...

Is true that all series from all companies have good & bad ones. i agree that previously most of the actors/actress are from acting class and now is from miss hk, mr hk or maybe singer/dancer turn into actor/actress and so on.

i admit that i'm a loyal fan of TVB for so many years but i do agree what u say.
    I am glad that you are openminded even though you are a still a loyal fan of TVB. I do watch TVB every now and then, but really rarely since most of the series are not even good anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

i agree, although not all youth now days are like this but the majority are. i don't think its just the youths, its the young adults and twenty somethings, thirty somethings... we all want things to move fast, it may be our pace of work or the fact that we find we have less time to do all the things we want to do.

before a movie can last for 3hours and its okay, but now...average is 1h45mins, any longer and we start to murmur about 'slow pace'.

but back to tvb, i think compared to a couple of years ago, tvb has really tried to pick up its slack, though they are still using less then desirable actors and actresses but at least once in a while we have a great film. and i seems recently they've been giving chances to the older supporting characters to have a lead role.

take Rosy Business, its a great film with a great cast and for once, we don't get stuck with the majority of the screen time with some newbie who can't act or so oldie who won't improve. and the cast is nice and small, none of that big budget crap where everyone in tvb is bounded together in one film and they try to give every screen time and character development.

i'm so sick of big budget put 10 lead characters in that tvb has been chunning out. get back to the old routine of two or 4 leads.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

After Fiona Leung and Noel Leung left, I kind of quit TVB for a good 5 years. Just started getting back in a couple of years ago when War and Beauty came out. Than I just track back to some series that I thought was good. I think I quit because I wasn't feeling the new actors.

In the 80's I enjoy the theme songs,the 90's i enjoy the ancient drama and now I think I enjoy the scenery !

recently i rewatch fiona leung legend of the book and sword. she's really very pretty as princess heung heung. among all the version of book & sword, i still feel that she is the most suitable person for this character. she's got the beauty and the innocent look even when she speak she is very innocent too. she really suitable for princess heung heung role.

Quote Originally Posted by IloveMimiLo View Post
    After Fiona Leung and Noel Leung left, I kind of quit TVB for a good 5 years. Just started getting back in a couple of years ago when War and Beauty came out. Than I just track back to some series that I thought was good. I think I quit because I wasn't feeling the new actors.

In the 80's I enjoy the theme songs,the 90's i enjoy the ancient drama and now I think I enjoy the scenery !

recently i rewatch fiona leung legend of the book and sword. she's really very pretty as princess heung heung. among all the version of book & sword, i still feel that she is the most suitable person for this character. she's got the beauty and the innocent look even when she speak she is very innocent too. she really suitable for princess heung heung role.
    she is quite the gem for TVB, I hope she will come back like the other old stars! I miss seeing her! She was a great actress <3. Love seeing her cry ,her and Noel both, they always make you cry with them lol. I don't have the same feel for the new stars. Well only for Mimi Lo but she doesn't get any lead rolls. There are still some actress that I still love watching such as Ada choi, Halina Tam and Gigi Lai. Hah I still perfer TVB over all the other series company , no matter how sucky they get!

I can't say TVB series getting more sucky, they still have nice series. Just like what i say to Trinie in my previous post, is true that all series from all companies have good & bad ones. i agree that previously most of the actors/actress are from acting class and now is from miss hk, mr hk or maybe singer/dancer turn into actor/actress and so on. but i still a loyal fan of TVB all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by IloveMimiLo View Post
    she is quite the gem for TVB, I hope she will come back like the other old stars! I miss seeing her! She was a great actress <3. Love seeing her cry ,her and Noel both, they always make you cry with them lol. I don't have the same feel for the new stars. Well only for Mimi Lo but she doesn't get any lead rolls. There are still some actress that I still love watching such as Ada choi, Halina Tam and Gigi Lai. Hah I still perfer TVB over all the other series company , no matter how sucky they get!

If people consider "The Four" as one of the better TVB ancient series, it is an indication of how much the station has lost its ancient series roots. This, together with talk about how the mainland adaptations of Jin Yong's wuxia novels being decent, is evidence of how the glory days of TVB in the 70s, 80s and early 90s are perhaps far behind us.

People may say "Rosy Business" is an ancient series that TVB did well, in terms of ratings. However, it wasn't so much an wuxia series. The scriptwriters for this series were the same ones behind Heart of Greed and Moonlight Resonance, and therefore, it is no surprise that this drama focused primarily on family feuds and relationships.

Even for modern series, TVB hasn't been as good or original as they have back in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

If you put the top drama serials (in terms of ratings) from the past two - three years and compare them with the top tens from the preceding decades, they somewhat pale in comparison. The strength of a drama serial depends on mainly four factors: (a) plot / story; (b) directing; (c) acting and (d) sets. Granted the sets from the earlier "grand" drama serials may not be as impressive as say, The Gem of Life. However, the plot, directing and acting of those earlier serials are enough to stand out.

Looking Back in Anger remains one of the most rented drama serials among TVB's overseas customers. It is no surprise why the story has captivated viewers worldwide and its ending is often something that many still talk about more than 20 years since it was aired.

The Greed of Man, in my opinion, is the TVB's jewel in the 1990s. It was the first time a 40-episode serial was produced with the stock market as its theme. The way the story unfolded was insightful as well because it brought viewers back to the tumultuous 70s in HK when corruption and triads ruled society. Lau Ching Wan's performance as the underdog whose family lost their riches and the way he clawed his way back into reckoning was stunning and unforgettable.

TVB made fantastic "grand" productions in the 1970s. There were family feud dramas galore with Kwong Chiu (1974/5 I think), Gah Been (which launched Lisa Wong to fame as the sole female protagonist), Wong Zhong Yan (which launched Chow Yuen Fatt and Dodo Cheng to fame) and Caan Cheng.

And these were the modern series. I haven't even started on its wuxia and ancient series yet.

There's too much gloss, glitter and glamour in TVB nowadays. Perhaps it is the shift in the entertainment preferences of the HK audience. Perhaps it has to reinvent themselves. However, I do not believe that there is a dearth of originality in coming up with a strong script to carry a forty-parter. The Gem of Life and the Drive of Life (serials with more than 40 episodes) were disappointments.

Nevertheless, there were also gems such as:

(a) The Green Hope - It's an anomaly for TVB dramas. The way it was produced was different from other serials. The cast put a strong performance and the theme deals with a sensitive social issue. At the same time, the quotes shown at the end of each episodes were sort of like Chicken Soup for the Soul.

(b) Reaching Out - Can't believe that this is a fifty-episoder, but good drama nevertheless with a strong story about the fates and fortunes of three orphans. The focus was on relationships and the entire production carried it well.

(c) Seed of Hope - Children drama? At first glance, yes. However, the serial focuses on relationships. Except for Kenix Kwok, the rest of the cast were not all that popular, but still their performances stand out.

People may say that the Korean drama serials giving TVB a run for their money is good. However, for some reason, I don't hold out much hope that TVB will produce a serial that will wow people again.

There was a RTHK radio programme which looks back at the evolution of HK drama serials and the hosts interview one prominent personality. One of the personalities (who was involved in TVB drama serials back in the 70s and early 80s) commented about the declining standard in scriptwriting and acting for TVB productions and attributed it to the station's bid to become "production for commercial success' sake".

Other than the reason of 'production for commercial success', I think TVB is also a bit hindered by China. TVB and HK movies are not as daring in it's subject matter now as compare to before. They don't dare to touch sensitive subject and you hardly see corrupt police in TVB series anymore. Secondly, with the complain happy audience nowadays, TVB will treat even more carefully. Imagine TVB getting complain for comedy series and 'Men Don't Cry'.

Quote Originally Posted by Old TVB Fan View Post
    Nevertheless, there were also gems such as:

(a) The Green Hope - It's an anomaly for TVB dramas. The way it was produced was different from other serials. The cast put a strong performance and the theme deals with a sensitive social issue. At the same time, the quotes shown at the end of each episodes were sort of like Chicken Soup for the Soul.

(b) Reaching Out - Can't believe that this is a fifty-episoder, but good drama nevertheless with a strong story about the fates and fortunes of three orphans. The focus was on relationships and the entire production carried it well.

(c) Seed of Hope - Children drama? At first glance, yes. However, the serial focuses on relationships. Except for Kenix Kwok, the rest of the cast were not all that popular, but still their performances stand out.
    The newer series you considered gems seem to be the same kind of series. It's all series about humanity with feel good message. You do really like the series because the plot is good or you just like the subject matter?
    Last edited by kidd; 06-18-09 at 02:25 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Hong Kong, as a British colony for one-hundred years, took its modern cultural cues from the West. Young modern Hong Kong people have always looked to Britain and the United States for inspiration for their own popular culture, be it music, movies, or television.

The people who worked at TVB during the 1970s and 1980s were influenced by the great Western auteurs of the era. As far as TVB was concerned, its scriptwriters and directors were taking their cues from the great filmmakers of the era...filmmakers such as Martin Scorsese, Roman Polanski, and Francis Ford Coppola. TVB actors such as Chow Yun Fat were studying the work of great Western leading men as Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Jack Nicholson, and even veteran actors such as Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, and Gregory Peck for inspiration. To be the best, one must first learn from the best.

What is the current generation of Hong Kong scriptwriters and actors being inspired by? Reality TV? MTV? HANNAH MONTANA? Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and Jon and Kate Gosselin? The quality of Western pop culture has gone down too in the past thirty years, so it's not unexpected that this is also reflected in the Hong Kong pop culture that is derived from it.

IN terms of acting overall, I would say that CHina has the best overall because most of them are all trained and have attended prestigious universities. TVB, on the other hand, no longer has the TVB acting class like before and they just promote actors and actresses that have no experience at all.
    TVB still has acting class. Students are still graduating from TVB acting class every year. They are just shorter in duration compared to older acting classes. TVB now prefers to have shorter acting class and have the graduates train and learn while on the job. Raymond Lam, Tavia Yeung, Lai Lok Yi, Kenneth Ma are all from acting class.

As for promoting Ms.HKs that have no experience, this has been a TVB practice all along. I believe Ada Choi, Kenix Kwok, Marrianne Chan, Maggie Cheung Ho Yi, Halina Tam, Noel Leung, Maggie Cheung Man Yuk etc were given big roles not long after they came out of their respective pageants. Even Barbara Yung and Angie Chiu her from Ms.HK pageants. Fiona Leung and Jessica Hsuan, on the other hand, were recruited after they filmed so commercials. I watch back an old series starring Maggie Cheung Mak Yuk. Her acting was awful.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩