Thread: East Heretic Wong Yerk See and his final disciple: Ching Ying

Default East Heretic Wong Yerk See and his final disciple: Ching Ying

When East Heretic Wong Yerk See trained his last disciple, Ching Ying, in RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES, he seemed more notably patient and indulgent with her than he ever was towards his first generation of students (Chan Yeun Fung, Mui Chiu Fung, Kuk Ling Fung, Luk Sing Fung, Mo Min Fung, and Fung Mak Fung). The younger Wong Yerk See was often highly critical of his students (as he was of all people whom he felt were beneath him), and when two them betrayed him, all of them suffered his wrath. In later years, however, an older and lonelier Wong Yerk See regretted the callousness with which he had treated his students. He had loved them as if they were his own children, and in his old age, he felt pain at their loss. Is this the reason why Wong Yerk See was so especially patient and kind toward Ching Ying? Did he finally realize that his unreasonable standards had cost him the people he'd loved, and that Ching Ying represented his last chance to make amends for his earlier mistakes?

I don't think he had much interest in passing on his skills to Cheng Ying. He would probably know that she did not have the potential to go far in terms of martial arts training so he didn't put in as much effort as well. probably taught it to her a few times and left it up to her to practice as much as she wanted. After all, he did not particularly pick her as a disciple due to her character or due to her relation to him. She was just someone he saved and didn't know what to do with thereafter.

I think he was having another headache of trying to train Sha Gu. Now, she was a challenge. He had to invent a simple yet powerful skill just for her and then teach it to her. Can you imagine the amount of frus he had to swallow? But he had to make up for his mistake when he was young cos her dad was crippled by him yet died trying to make up for a mistake he never even made towards Wong Yeurk See.

If he really wanted to make up for his disciples, he should have taught his skills to that what's his name? the son of his disciple who married that Quanzhen disciple.

I wonder how powerful his disciples would be, if he didn't cripple them. He seemed to think that they would be first rate fighters if they were not disabled. Such a pity then, that all his skills have literally gone to waste. Guess his best surviving disciple would be Huang Rong but she used more of Hong Qi Gong's skills instead of his (what an insult) and her disciples and offspring did not really excel either. Save for Guo Xiang but she used swordplay and Emei Jiu yang gong more.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues
    After all, he did not particularly pick her as a disciple due to her character or due to her relation to him. She was just someone he saved and didn't know what to do with thereafter.
    The same could be say to his other disciples they were all kids that he saved and took in as students. But I kinda agree that he didn't care much about Cheng Ying's martial arts progress since he wasn't really strict with her (from what I recall) as with his other students.

I think somewhere in the novel stated that Cheng Ying was a sweet, obedient, gentle and attentive girl, everything Huang Rong wasn't to Huang YaoShi, thats why he doted on her? And i guess he mellowed with age and thus wasn't so strict with her.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

I think Cheng Ying likes YG too. Does Huang Yaoshi know? Did he try to matchmake both of them?

No, I don't think Huang Yao shi knew. Ah, but I'm basing my knowledge on a half read book and a TV adaptation of the book so I may be wrong. I thot Huang Yao Shi only met Yang Guo briefly. When he, Cheng Ying, Sha Gu and Lu Wu Shuang were being attacked by Li Mo CHou. He was disappointed that he had no disciples to take on Li Mo Chou and so taught YG the skill so that he can defeat Li Mo Chou in a disciple position although they are not formally in a teacher and disciple status.

The next time they met was when Yang Guo asked him about the mysterious nun who took XLN away.

But I think Cheng Ying would have been too boring for YG. eh, wait. sorry, XLN also a bit boring so maybe it's fine. BUt I never figured out why Cheng Ying likes YG. cos YG was never flirty with her (unlike with Lu Wushuang). If I remember correctly, in the series, he was a rather depressed man actually then when he met her.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues
    No, I don't think Huang Yao shi knew. Ah, but I'm basing my knowledge on a half read book and a TV adaptation of the book so I may be wrong. I thot Huang Yao Shi only met Yang Guo briefly. When he, Cheng Ying, Sha Gu and Lu Wu Shuang were being attacked by Li Mo CHou. He was disappointed that he had no disciples to take on Li Mo Chou and so taught YG the skill so that he can defeat Li Mo Chou in a disciple position although they are not formally in a teacher and disciple status.

The next time they met was when Yang Guo asked him about the mysterious nun who took XLN away.

But I think Cheng Ying would have been too boring for YG. eh, wait. sorry, XLN also a bit boring so maybe it's fine. BUt I never figured out why Cheng Ying likes YG. cos YG was never flirty with her (unlike with Lu Wushuang). If I remember correctly, in the series, he was a rather depressed man actually then when he met her.
    From the translations here(not sure which chapter) he did somehow flirt with her when he is recovering from his injuries.