Thread: The 25th Hong Kong Film Awards

Default The 25th Hong Kong Film Awards

HONG KONG - Four movies got 10 or more nominations in the 25th Hong Kong Film Awards shortlist announced Wednesday, but Johnnie To's gangster film "Election" dominated with nods for best film, director and actor.

The award winners will be announced at a presentation ceremony April 8.

Tsui Hark's kung fu epic "Seven Swords" and Peter Chan's musical "Perhaps Love" each bagged 11 nominations, while "Election" and "Initial D" - based on a Japanese comic about street car racers - each had 10.

But it was To's "Election," about two gang leaders feuding for the top, that racked up nominations in the highest-profile categories.

It was nominated for best film, and To for best director. Its stars Tony Leung Ka-fai and Simon Yam were both nominated for best actor.

To hopes to redeem his disappointing showing at Taiwan's Golden Horse Awards in November, when he got 11 nominations but only two awards, for sound effects and original screenplay.

Solidifying his status as a top Chinese-language star, Leung is competing with himself for best actor. He is nominated for "Election," and for his role as a subdued man with a lifelong crush on a friend in "Everlasting Regret."

By contrast, In "Election," he plays a hot-tempered, ruthless gangster who punishes his own cohorts by rolling them down a mountain in crates.

Leung is best known to Western audiences for his role as a Chinese man who has an affair with a young French girl in "The Lover."

Action star Jackie Chan and heartthrob Andy Lau are also hoping for comebacks in Hong Kong after disappointing Golden Horse showings.

Chan stars in "The Myth," which is nominated for best film. Lau is up for best actor for his role in "Wait 'Til You're Older."

All eyes are also on Hong Kong pop singer Sammi Cheng, wondering if she can win best actress as a Shanghai beauty who endures political and personal upheaval in China in "Everlasting Regret."

Pop singer Aaron Kwok, a surprise best actor winner for "Divergence" at the Golden Horse Awards, is now shooting for a win in hometown Hong Kong. He has a Hong Kong Film Awards nomination for best actor.

This year's shortlist reflects a growing Hong Kong-mainland China film-making integration, with several nominations for co-productions by the two.

Mainlanders bagged four nominations in the acting categories. Zhou Xun is up for best actress in "Perhaps Love." Hu Jun ("Everlasting Regret"), Zhang Jingchu ("Seven Swords"), and Su Yan ("Everlasting Regret") are nominated for supporting roles.

The 25th Hong Kong Film Awards official Web site: http://www.hkfaa.com/

Source: www.miami.com

The 25th Hong Kong Film Awards Nomination List

Best movie
    - Seven Swords
    - Election
    - Perhaps Love
    - The Myth
    - Initial D

Best director
    - Tsui Hark (Seven Swords)
    - Peter Chan (Perhaps Love)
    - Johnnie To (Election)
    - Wai Keung Lau và Siu Fai Mak (Initial D)
    - 爾冬陞《早熟》

The best screenwriter
    - The Myth
    - Perhaps Love
    - Election
    - Wait 'Til You're Older
    - Sun gaing hup nui

Best leading actor
    - Aaron Kwok (Divergence)
    - Andy Lau (Wait 'Til You're Older)
    - Simon Yam (Election)
    - Tony Leung Ka-fai (Election)
    - Tony Leung Ka-fai (Everlasting Regret)

Best leading actress

- Karena Lam (Monster)
    - Sylvia Chang ("Rice Rhapsody")
    - Zhou Xun (Perhaps Love)
    - Sammi Cheng (Everlasting Regret)
    - Karen Mok ("Wait 'til You're Older")

Best supporting actor
    - Hu Jun (Everlasting Regret)
    - ??? (Sha Po Lang) (I don't his name - update later)
    - Anthony Wong (Initial D)
    - Alex Fong (Drink, Drank, Drunk)
    - ??? (Election) (I don't his name - update later)

Best supporting actress
    - Zhang Jing Chu ("Seven Swords")
    - Mao Shun Jun (The Myth)
    - Su Yan (Everlasting Regret)
    - Shao Mei Qi (Election)
    - Karena Lam (Ah Sou)

Best new actor

- ??? (The Myth) (I don't his name - update later)
    - Jay Chow (Initial D)
    - update later
    - Liu Hsinyu (Ah Sou)
    - update later
    Last edited by speed; 02-09-06 at 10:29 AM.

The 25th Hong Kong Film Awards (MonkeyPeaches Exclusive)
    April 8, 2006

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.monkeypeaches.com/pix/060209a.jpg')

(hkfaa.com)

Winners of the 25th Hong Kong Film Awards have been announced in Hong Kong. This is a night of Johnnie To's Election vs. Peter Chan's Perhaps Love. Gangster drama Election collects four heavy-weight awards - Best Film, Best Director for Johnnie To, Best Actor for Leung Kar-Fai and Best Screenplay. Meanwhile Perhaps Love wins in six categories, more than any other movie does. Mainland Chinese actress Zhou Xun is named the Best Actress for her role in Perhaps Love, a big screen musical. Anthony Wong is selected as the Best Supporting Actor for portraying a tofu store owner in Initial D and Veteran player Teresa Mo is presented with the title of Best Supporting Actress for her performance in 2 Young.

Best Film - Election

Best Director - Johnny TO - Election

Best Screenplay - YAU Nai-Hoi and YIP Tin-Shing - Election

Best Actor - LEUNG Kar-Fai - Election

Best Actress - ZHOU Xun - Perhaps Love

Best Supporting Actor - Anthony WONG - Initial D

Best Supporting Actress - Teresa MO - 2 Young

Best New Performer - Jay CHOU - Initial D

Best Cinematography - Peter PAU - Perhaps Love

Best Editing - YAU Chi-Wai - Divergence

Best Art Direction - YEE Chung-Man and Pater WONG - Perhaps Love

Best Costume and Make Up Design - YEE Chung-Man and Dora NG - Perhaps Love

Best Action Choreography - Donnie YEN - S.P.L. / Sha Po Lang

Best Original Film Score - Peter KAM and Leon KO - Perhaps Love

Best Original Film Song - "Perhaps Love" - Perhaps Love - performed by Jacky Cheung

Best Sound Design - Kinson TSANG - Initial D

Best Visual Effects - Victor WONG, Eddy WONG and CHEUNG Chung-Wah - Initial D

Best New Director - Kenneth BI - Rice Rhapsody

Best Asian Film - Kekexili: Mountain Patrol (China)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/m/c/p/2006-04-08/U1584P28T3D1042855F326DT20060408165429.jpg')

Best Actress and best actor
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://cimg2.163.com/photo/0003/2006-04-09/2E7OVB0T020M0003.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/m/p/2006-04-09/U1039P28T3D1043374F326DT20060409001317.JPG')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://cimg2.163.com/photo/0003/2006-04-08/2E7N5V69020M0003.jpg')

Jay Chou...wtf?! Though I don't like Fiona Sit that much, I found her much better than Mr. Chou in acting.
    And Anthony Wong again? No disrespect to the dude, but it's tiring to see him up there again. And Initial D was not one of his best performances. Heck, I think it was the worst performance out of the 4 nominees.

I am happy for Teresa Mo though, she deserved the award the most among the other nominees.

Jay Chou, being the suave guy he is, says to the audience, "Hello, I'm Jay Chou" after the presenters had just introduced him.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

Quote Originally Posted by cmu_wasabi
    Jay Chou...wtf?! Though I don't like Fiona Sit that much, I found her much better than Mr. Chou in acting.
    And Anthony Wong again? No disrespect to the dude, but it's tiring to see him up there again. And Initial D was not one of his best performances. Heck, I think it was the worst performance out of the 4 nominees.

I am happy for Teresa Mo though, she deserved the award the most among the other nominees.
    Yep.. the only person I'm happy for getting a Golden Award is Teresa Mo.. She's been nominated 9 times and.. I think it is really time for her to get it. Plus, I thought she did well in Still Young.. or Too Young? I don't remember .. Ah whatever, Cho Suk!! Haha!

Anyways.. I think Zhao Xun.. she's not too bad .. but.. I thought Simon Yam would get Best Actor.. ><

I don't see what's so great about Tony Leung's performance in SPL. He should have won for Everlasting Regret.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Can Jay Chou actually act? I haven't seen Initial D, doesn't look too interesting to me. Just curious how he compares to Edison's acting (*shudders*).

Just to add to my post above.......come to think of it, I felt that the HKFAs really left out a lot of gems in their nominations list, and not to mention their winner's list.
    1) Firstly with the nominations, I really felt that "Crazy N the City" should have at least more nominations, such as Leading Actor (Eason and Francis), supporting actress (Kara Hui), best film, than just best screenplay. I really think that had Kara been on the supporting actress list, Teresa Mo definitely would not have won. But I guess HKFA people don't really like small productions.
    2) I also felt that Felix Wong should have been nominated for his performance in "Wait 'til You're Older" as Andy's dad and Karen Mok should have been placed on the supporting actress list.
    3) And as for "Election", a lot of the supporting guys should have been nominated such as Tam Ping Man, Lam Ka Dong, Lam Suet, Eddie Cheung, and heck even Nick Cheung.
    4) I must reiterate: They should not have let Mr. Chou win. Fiona Sit (albiet that I don't really like her) was a better choice as she showed more acting potential and Mr. Chou. Even Edison was better than him in that movie. (Ouch!!! )
    5) They also left Jacky Cheung out of the Supporting Actors category for his role in "Perhaps Love." Heck, I thought his performance deserved a Leading Actor nod. And where was Takeshi Kaneshiro on the list?

Just my little rant....
    Last edited by cmu_wasabi; 04-14-06 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmu_wasabi
    Just to add to my post above.......come to think of it, I felt that the HKFAs really left out a lot of gems in their nominations list, and not to mention their winner's list.
    1) Firstly with the nominations, I really felt that "Crazy N the City" should have at least more nominations, such as Leading Actor (Eason and Francis), supporting actress (Kara Hui), best film, than just best screenplay. I really think that had Kara been on the supporting actress list, Teresa Mo definitely would not have won. But I guess HKFA people don't really like small productions.
    2) I also felt that Felix Wong should have been nominated for his performance in "Wait 'til You're Older" as Andy's dad and Karen Mok should have been placed on the supporting actress list.
    3) And as for "Election", a lot of the supporting guys should have been nominated such as Tam Ping Man, Lam Ka Dong, Lam Suet, Eddie Cheung, and heck even Nick Cheung.
    4) I must reiterate: They should not have let Mr. Chou win. Fiona Sit (albiet that I don't really like her) was a better choice as she showed more acting potential and Mr. Chou. Even Edison was better than him in that movie. (Ouch!!! )
    5) They also left Jacky Cheung out of the Supporting Actors category for his role in "Perhaps Love." Heck, I thought his performance deserved a Leading Actor nod. And where was Takeshi Kaneshiro on the list?

Just my little rant....
    Nahh.. actually I agree. I was thinking that Fiona Sit might get the award as well.. but its Jay Chou again :/ For some reason, I think that if he wasn't acting as Takumi.. he might not get the award.

and yeah.. now that you've said it.. why didn't Felix get nominated? I thought he was great in Wait Till You're Older as well.. The last part of the movie, was so touching..

i can't believe jay chou got the award -- such bull crap ..

i actually didn't enjoy this year as much

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I don't see what's so great about Tony Leung's performance in SPL. He should have won for Everlasting Regret.
    Yeah I don't see whats so great either considering Tony Leung was not in SPL.

This was aired last night in Canada. I saw the last quarter of the show. It seems kind of rushed for some reason. At least Jackie Chan changed his clothes for this one.

I actually liked The Myth. It's a shame that they didn't get any awards at all.