Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

This Art of Essence Absorbing was created by Xiao Yao Sect in times of Northern Song. It was a combination of the two skills, BeiMing Shen Gong and Hua Gong DaFa (Author's note: Please read "Tian Long Ba Bu"), which were left behind by Dali's Duan family and XingXiu Sect respectively. They were combined into one, and became the Art of Essence Absorbing. The Art of Essence Absorbing’s main principle is inherited from Hua Gong DaFa. But the scholars who wrote the formula down didn't know the proper way, so there were some flaws on the skill.
    beiming shengong that DY knew was incomplete. he learned the technique for absorbing inner energy but not the part for making the energy his own. in the manual he read, it described a danger in BMSG, as 'stealing a fortune but misplacing it'. the manual got torn when he suffered inner power clashing during the time just after he escaped from duan yanqqing's prison with his sister. so his knowledge of the technique was in complete. (he only learned LBWW lightskill fully ,due to it's i ching base, from the manual). when he saw the pictures containing 6MDS, his energy moved to his meridiens. then his uncle taught him duan family inner power practise to exercise his power and he used 6MDS to send his inner power to the proper channels with some guidence from the head monk. but he couldn't teach 6MDS to outsiders of tian long temple, even his own desendents and his BMSG was too flawed for his desendents to practise without it, so yideng and the other duan's never learned it(the monks were too merciful to practise it anyway). Hua gong dafa was also derived from BMSG but went a different way using inner power practise enhanched with poisons. it was more complete and carried down from xing su sect in full, but not easy to master(needs high inner power). it also absorbed inner power but could only dissolve it with poisons to avoid fire deviation. the user's inner power couldn't gain fro it. the art of essence absorbing uses the absorbing and 'retaining' part of BMSG to make up for the weakness in Huagongdafa's retaining part. it still lacked the 'make it the user's own power'. unless you have Yiyingji or 6MDS to correct it.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Thanks for the explanation, kyss of the sword. That cleared up a lot of things why they combined the two skills together.

But I disagree with what you said about "still lacked the 'make it the user's own power'". LingHu Chong showed that his internal energy has grown by a lot from learning the XXDF. At the end of ch 21, it said that the combination of those internal energies made LingHu Chong's internal energy high. Also, he shows later on that his qinggong has advanced by a lot from those absorbed internal energy. And JY also wrote that practising XXDF by scattering the energy into the meridians will increase the internal energy level.

But I disagree with what you said about "still lacked the 'make it the user's own power'". LingHu Chong showed that his internal energy has grown by a lot from learning the XXDF.
    oops, i meant to say it was lacking in it's technique to make it ones own power because there was a danger as you practise, that the power will reverse itself. unlike the proper BMSG, the power will be yours, no worries, no fire deviation. LHC will suffer some of the same problems in keeping his power from reversing, through yiyinji will fix that. but the absorbed inner power will be added to the user as it enters the merdiens.
    actually it's similar to what duan yu did. maybe he left some instructions on how to do it without adding the sword qi part.

Could anyone help me in translating this part?

我虽在饮酒谈笑,心中却兀自在推算阳*
    穴和阳维三十二穴,在这五十四个穴道之间,如何使内息游走自如,既可自阳* 亦可自阳维入阳*

Thank you for the update Pokit, I was already caught up in this novel but now I'm addicted!

Originally posted by pokit
    Could anyone help me in translating this part?

我虽在饮酒谈笑,心中却兀自在推算阳*
    穴和阳维三十二穴,在这五十四个穴道之间,如何使内息游走自如,既可自阳* 亦可自阳维入阳*
    The asterisks (*) in the passage above are actually some missing text. They should contain the underlined words below:

我虽在饮酒谈笑,心中却兀自在推算二十二穴和阳维三十二穴,在这五十四个穴道之间,如何使内息游走自如,既可自阳跤入阳维,亦可自阳维入阳

---

Notes on the bold-faced words above:
    1. 阳跤 Yangjiao = one of the Eight Extraordinary Channels in the human body.
    2. 阳维 Yangwei = another of the Eight Extraordinary Channels in the human body.

For a brief but informative description of the Eight Extraordinary Channels, visit:
    http://www.wuxiapedia.com/novels/jin...nd_figures#med

---

Approximate translation of the passage:

I was drinking wine and cracking jokes, but in my heart, I sought a way that would allow the energy in my body to flow freely amidst the twenty-two acupoints of the Yangjiao Channel and the thirty-two acupoints of the Yangwei Channel. These made up a total of fifty-four acupoints, through which the energy could flow in its passage from the Yangjiao into the Yangwei and vice-versa.

Kinda crude, but gets the point across, I hope.

---

HYS/Yushi Huang
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Thank you Huang Yushi.

I'm translating from the version on the net. Didn't know they had some missing texts there.

Sorry, there won't be any updates today. We're still editing the next part.
    Last edited by pokit; 05-02-06 at 08:44 PM.

Alright, we've just finished editing this part.

Thank you to HuangYushi for translating a part of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When LingHu Chong heard all this, he secretly felt that there was one big thing that wasn't right. Ren WoXing continued, "At that time, I've already absorbed the internal energies of ten evil masters. But because each of the ten internal energies was very strong and different, they prohibited each other from being sent to different gates. I believed that there must be a way to make all these internal energy harmonious and whole so that I could use them. Otherwise, I will always be in danger. In those few years, I thought day and night on how to solve this problem to the point that I neglected everything except thinking on this matter. That day at the Dragon Boat Festival feast, although I was drinking wine and cracking jokes, but in my heart, I sought a way that would allow the energy in my body to flow freely amidst the twenty-two acupoints of the Yangjiao Channel and the thirty-two acupoints of the Yangwei Channel. These made up a total of fifty-four acupoints, through which the energy could flow in its passage from the Yangjiao into the Yangwei and vice-versa.”

"At that time, I also thought that it was strange as Chief is usually alert. Chief only needs to hear half a word to know what a person wants to say. You observed everything and missed nothing. But in those several years, not only were you not aware of DongFang BuBai's treasonous plan, but also every day... every day... " sighed Xiang WenTian.

Ren WoXing smiled a little and said, "Everyday I was dazed and witless. My mind seemed to be elsewhere all the time."

"That's true. Ahhh. After miss said those words, DongFang BuBai laughed and said, "Miss, you love things to be lively, don't you? Next year, we'll invite more people to drink wine” When he said those words, his face was full of happiness. But when I observed his eyes, it was full of hesitation. He must've suspected that Chief knew of what he was up to. And that right then, Chief was just pretending to be ignorant to test him. He knew that Chief is astute so he expected that Chief knew about his plan already," said Xiang WenTian.

Ren WoXing scowled and said, "I couldn't remember at all what little miss said at the dragon boat festival's feast twelve years ago. I now remember only after you mentioned about it. That’s right, when DongFang BuBai heard those words, how can it not raise his suspicions?"

" Also, DongFang BuBai was afraid that Miss would see through his treasonous plan in a year or two when she had grown up and gotten even smarter. Furthermore, he was afraid that if he waited until she became an adult, Chief might give the position of Chief to her. So, when DongFang BuBai heard this, he didn't dare to wait any longer. He took a risk and launched the attack. This is the logic behind all this," Xiang WenTian explained.

Ren WoXing nodded his head agreeing with what Xiang WenTian said.

"Ai, if my daughter is by my side right now, then we'll have one more person and our position wouldn't be as weak as right now," said Ren WoXing.

Xiang WenTian turned to LingHu Chong and said, "Brother, Chief has already said that there's a big flaw with the Art of Essence Absorbing. As far as I know, Chief was working on a solution to fix this divine martial art while he endured being imprisoned for the last 12 years. Of course, by the time he escaped from that prison, he already had a breakthrough and found the solution for this divine martial art. Chief, is this right?"

Ren WoXing rubbed his thick black fine beard, laughed, and was feeling proud of himself. He said, "Of course. From now on, when I absorb other people's energy, I don't have to worry about these energies suddenly reversing. HaHa! Brother LingHu, take a deep breath, don't you feel there's qi drumming fiercely at your Yuzhen and Shanzhong acupoints?"

LingHu Chong took a deep breath and felt a faint qi flowing at his Yuzhen and Shanzhong acupoints. He couldn't help that his complexion changed as he did this.

"You've only begun your practice, so you can probably only feel it a little bit. But during those years, before I found the remedy, the qi in these two pressure points was drumming really fiercely. It felt like the sky was falling down and the earth shaking. It was torture. Even though I looked calm and quiet outside, inside my ears, it sounded like there were a thousand horses charging through. Sometimes, it sounded like thunder continuously striking down. Ai, if I wasn't having such a big disaster with my qi, how can DongFang BuBai's treasonous plan have succeeded?" said Ren WoXing.

LingHu Chong knew that Ren WoXing was saying the truth. He also knew that Xiang WenTian mentioned this problem to get him to ask for advice from Ren WoXing. But he was determined not to join the Sun Moon Sect and ask for Ren WoXing's help. He couldn't say anything, but in his heart, he was thinking, "I've already learned his Art of Essence Absorbing. This skill absorbs other people's energy for myself to use. It's a very selfish and vicious skill. I had decided not to practise and use it. If I can't stop these absorbed energies from reversing, then that's the way it's gonna be. This is gonna be my fate. How can LingHu Chong be greedy and be afraid of death? How can I commit a big violation over this when I'm originally sincere?"

After he mulled over this matter in his mind, he said, "Chief, I would like to consult you on a matter I still don't understand. My master said that the "Sunflower Manual" is the most supreme martial arts secret. No one will be able to match you in the whole world after learning this martial art. He said your life would also be prolonged to over 100 years. How come you didn't learn this martial art and instead learned that dangerously fierce Art of Essence Absorbing?"
    Last edited by pokit; 05-03-06 at 01:41 AM.

This is going great! Yes no matter who he talks to LHC is very kind at heart. He is the Jin Yong hero I want to be friends with and hang out over a few drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    beiming shengong that DY knew was incomplete. he learned the technique for absorbing inner energy but not the part for making the energy his own. in the manual he read, it described a danger in BMSG, as 'stealing a fortune but misplacing it'. the manual got torn when he suffered inner power clashing during the time just after he escaped from duan yanqqing's prison with his sister. so his knowledge of the technique was in complete. (he only learned LBWW lightskill fully ,due to it's i ching base, from the manual). when he saw the pictures containing 6MDS, his energy moved to his meridiens. then his uncle taught him duan family inner power practise to exercise his power and he used 6MDS to send his inner power to the proper channels with some guidence from the head monk. but he couldn't teach 6MDS to outsiders of tian long temple, even his own desendents and his BMSG was too flawed for his desendents to practise without it, so yideng and the other duan's never learned it(the monks were too merciful to practise it anyway). Hua gong dafa was also derived from BMSG but went a different way using inner power practise enhanched with poisons. it was more complete and carried down from xing su sect in full, but not easy to master(needs high inner power). it also absorbed inner power but could only dissolve it with poisons to avoid fire deviation. the user's inner power couldn't gain fro it. the art of essence absorbing uses the absorbing and 'retaining' part of BMSG to make up for the weakness in Huagongdafa's retaining part. it still lacked the 'make it the user's own power'. unless you have Yiyingji or 6MDS to correct it.
    BMSG is the evolution of Hua Gong Da Fa, or should i put it this way, BMSG was created after Hua Gong Da Fa was first perfected.

The "'stealing a fortune but misplacing it" was meant that HGDF was an incomplete art, necessitating the creation of BMSG. Not that there was a weakness of BMSG.

DY memorized the whole BMSG but never mastered it.

As to whether the fact that YD or the rest of Duan's descendent never learning either BMSG or 6MSJ was one of speculation, not covered by the novel.

Han Solo

Thank you HuangYushi for helping with a part of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ren Woxing weakly smiled and said, "I don’t think outsiders are worthy enough to know the reason.”

Linghu Chong's face turned red when he heard this. He said, "Yes, I was too bold."

"Brother, Chief is already old, your big brother is also only a few years younger than him. If you enter the sect, then Chief's successor will of course be you. I know that you dislike the Sun Moon sect's bad reputation. But when you're chief, wouldn't you have the power in hand to reorganise the sect so that people in this world would benefit from it?" Xiang Wentian logically told Linghu Chong.

Linghu Chong felt that Xiang Wentian's speech was logical and reasonable. He was moved. He saw Ren Woxing picked up his wine cup and with his right hand, picked up the wine pot and filled the cup to the brim. Ren Woxing then said, "Several hundred years ago, there was enmity between my Sun Moon sect and the orthodox sects and schools. After that, we couldn't coexist anymore. If you adhere stubbornly to this opinion and don't enter our sect then your internal injuries will be difficult to heal and your life isn't guaranteed. This doesn't need to be said. Also, I’m afraid that your master and master-wife of Huashan school... Hey, hey, I want to make all of Huashan School apprentices perish and stamp Huashan School out of existence from the Wulin world. This isn't a hard thing to do at all. It was fate that brought us here together. If you agree with my suggestion, then please drink this cup of wine."

These words were said threateningly. Linghu Chong's felt his anger rising up and in clear voice said, "Chief, big brother, originally my injuries were enough to shorten my life and I was only living from day to day. Then I accidentally learned Chief's divine martial art. But now, because I'm unable to meld all the energies together, I might not live long. So it's just like my old injuries. This is no big deal. For a long time, I've already thought my life was unimportant. Dead or alive, I still have my life now. Huashan School has been around for several hundred years and has managed to survive till now. It's not necessarily true that other people can just raise their hands and destroy Huashan School. Today, we've finished our talk. Let us part here."

As soon as he finished speaking, he cupped his hands in salute towards the two people, turned around and left.

Xiang Wentian still had words to say but Linghu Chong was already far away. As Linghu Chong ran out of the Plum Manor, he felt the cold air brushing his body and he felt unrestrained in his heart. As he sighed and raised his head, he saw the crescent moon hanging from the tip of a willow branch. In the middle of the lake, he could see reflections of the bright moon and the clouds on the water. When he reached the bank of the lake, he stood there quietly for some time and thought, "Chief Ren must now be going to Dongfang Bubai to settle the matter concerning the position of Chief. He wouldn't search for Huashan School straight away to bring them trouble. But, Master, Master-wife, and apprentice brothers and sisters didn't know about this matter. If they meet him, they may suffer under his violent hands. I must tell them as soon as possible so that they can be prepared. But I don't know whether they've returned from Fuzhou or not. From here, it's not that far to Fuzhou. I don't have anything else to do. I'll just go to Fuzhou for a trip. If they're on their way back, then maybe I'll meet them on the way."

His thought immediately turned to the letter his master wrote to the Wulin world. In that letter, his master announced that he'd been expelled from HuaShan school. A sour feeling rose up in his heart as he remembered this. He thought to himself, "I'm going to report to Master and Master-wife about Chief Ren compelling me to join his sect. They will understand that I didn't intentionally make friends with people from Devil sect. Maybe Master will take back his command and will only punish me to spend three years on top of that cliff thinking about my fault. If that's the case, then it's going be good." Thinking that there may be a chance to re-enter the school, his spirit rose. He immediately started off to look for an inn to stay overnight. He felt that he would be able to sleep long until noon this time. Then he thought that as he hadn't seen Master and Master-wife, it would be better to hide his original appearance. Furthermore, Ying-Ying gave orders to those people to take his life. So, he felt it'd be best to disguise himself and not look for trouble. But what appearance should he take for his disguise? As he was deep in thought, he arrived at an inn. He walked slowly into the inn. Just as he entered the courtyard, he suddenly heard the sound of a door being opened and a basin full of water splashed towards him. He evaded quickly as the basin emptied out. In front of him was an angry looking military officer glaring at him, holding a wooden wash basin. The officer rudely shouted, "Did you not bring your eyes? Didn't you see grandfather throwing water out?"

Linghu Chong was feeling angry. He couldn’t believe that such an unruly and unreasonable man existed. With a fine thick beard, this military officer looked like he was around forty years old. He was wearing a full body military gown and there was a Yaodao saber on his waist. Linghu Chong thought that he was probably an officer from a military school. With his chest flat and his belly bulging out, he looked accustomed to the good living.

Hehe, I've watched SoD96. I know what's going to happen =D

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    BMSG is the evolution of Hua Gong Da Fa, or should i put it this way, BMSG was created after Hua Gong Da Fa was first perfected.

The "'stealing a fortune but misplacing it" was meant that HGDF was an incomplete art, necessitating the creation of BMSG. Not that there was a weakness of BMSG.

As to whether the fact that YD or the rest of Duan's descendent never learning either BMSG or 6MSJ was one of speculation, not covered by the novel.

Han Solo
    so there you have it, the BMSG is completed and perfected, so why did the Scholar need to combine the BMSG and Hua Gong Da Fa. This is one of those inconsistencies in JY novel. It is also very unlikely that there is a person who have access to both BMSG and Hua Gong Da Fa at the same time.

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

hehe this part was funny in the SOD2001

i like the book a lot better cuz it explains all the details....and my chinese isnt so great so i dont pick up some of the details in the adaptations, they talk too fast sometimes

Athena wrote recently about one of the SPW 3rd edition changes.

4. [Xixing Dafa] was derived from the Xiaoyao School's [Beiming Shengong]. Ren Woxing told Linghu Chong that the practitioner of Beiming was a member of the Duan family during the Northern Song dynasty. This emperor Duan originally did not like the idea of stealing other people's internal strength. But after reading the will of that Xiaoyao elder, emperor Duan that there are no really evil martial arts. A good person using Beiming to kill evil men is doing good.
    Xixing Dafa has no connections with Huagong Dafa.

So JY has changed that part.

I don't know how to link to other threads. But if you're interested in the other changes go to Wuxia Fiction about 3rd edition changes. The thread is stickied.
    Last edited by pokit; 05-03-06 at 09:41 PM.

Originally Posted by Han Solo
    originally by atlantean0208
    so there you have it, the BMSG is completed and perfected, so why did the Scholar need to combine the BMSG and Hua Gong Da Fa. This is one of those inconsistencies in JY novel. It is also very unlikely that there is a person who have access to both BMSG and Hua Gong Da Fa at the same time.
    what i understood was BMSG was the original but harder to master version of essence absorbing. hua gong dafa was created by either DCQ or another XYP elder who couldn't master BMSG beyond the basics and used poisons to enhance his inner power to absorb inner power, but was unable to benefit from the inner power and had to dissolve the inner power with poisons to avoid fire deviation. HGDF was also more actively attack while BMSG was defensively absorb.in the earlier version the creator of xixingdafa created it from the incomplete BMSG. in earlier post, it was stated often that xixingdafa was created from huagongdafa, not BMSG (inDY BMSG vs DCQXXDF/RWXHGDF topics). in the new version(posted translattion){can't confirm the following} the guy(maybe xingxiu sect member) who created xixing dafa maybe had huagong dafa first and later stole the remaing part of BMSG formula(incomplete) and tried to correct huagong dafa into xixing dafa.

I am really confused! Is XXDF a derivative of BMSG or HGDF? Which comes first? Or they are sometimes related and sometimes not because of JY's modification to the storyline?

Betoi-betoi susah!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by lorrycai
    Betoi-betoi susah!
    LOL - no malay word allowed here - haha

Quote Originally Posted by lorrycai
    I am really confused! Is XXDF a derivative of BMSG or HGDF?
    In the second edition, XXDF is a hybrid of Beiming Shengong and Huagong Dafa.

In the latest third edition, XXDF is related to Beiming Shengong only.

Which comes first? Or they are sometimes related and sometimes not because of JY's modification to the storyline?

Betoi-betoi susah!
    Beiming Shengong is a divine martial art from Xiaoyao Pai. As far as I know, one of the disciples of Xiaoyao Pai, Ding Chunqiu, created Huagong Dafa derived from Beiming Shengong; however it does not function as nicely as Beiming Shengong.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Unless JY really changed things really around in the third ed, HGDF is the predecessor of BMSG, which is the perfected form.

Again, From Moins:
    "It concludes the section with: "When others practice inner strength, the path that they take is from Cloudy Gate to Less Merchant. But our Carefree Sect's kungfu is from Less Merchant to Cloudy Gate, if thumb comes in contact with others, then their inner force will gush into my body and be stored at Cloudy Gate as well as other pressure points. But if the opponent's inner force is stronger than mine, then the water of the sea will empty into the rivers, leading to life threatening dangers; you have been fore warned. The other skills of our sect, has not been developed fully and are only able to weaken the opponent's inner force but cannot make it available for own use. It is as if stealing a fortune yet misplacing it, such a waste of something so precious."

I take that to mean that BMSG was the development from HGDF.

Han Solo