Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hung Hei Goon, Wing Chun, etc.

Default Hung Hei Goon, Wing Chun, etc.

Anyone on this board know detailed info on these characters? I find these characters just as interesting as those in the Jing Yong world. Are there novels related to these characters? I've only seen depictions of these characters on TV. I know the real historical figures are not like those depicted on films, but I'm more interested in the fictional, folk lores of these characters.
    Dragon2005

Unhappy

I'm not very sure also...Btw who's Hung Hei Goon and Wing Chun?
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    I'm not very sure also...Btw who's Hung Hei Goon and Wing Chun?
    Their martial arts are based on Shaolin martial arts. They are famous for bringing Shaolin martial arts to the common people. There are many martial arts schools around the world that teach their kungfu techniques. There are a couple of TV adaptions of these characters. Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh, played their roles in a couple of films released in Hong Kong in the 90s.
    Dragon2005

Still not very sure, which era do they come from?
    ..ext88

Still not very sure, which era do they come from?
    They would be from the Ching dynasty, during the time when the Shaolin temple was burned by the Ching emperor for fear that Shaolin Monks will rebel against the emperor. I'm surprised there are not more people on this board who will know these figures a little more. Anyone can elaborate a little more??? I'm not an expert on these characters.
    Dragon2005

a short info..

The Taiping Rebellion, 1851-1864

Hung Xiu­quan (1814-1864) was the son of a farmer and an aspiring Chinese
    bureaucrat. He came under the influence of Christian missionaries, and reached
    the conclusion that he was the younger son of Jesus sent to found the Heavenly
    Kingdom on earth. Faced with the collapse of Qing dynasty rule (under Western
    onslaught), Hung tapped into the deep millenarianism of the Chinese peasantry
    (previously expressed in Buddhist terms) and began a rebellion - the Taiping
    Rebellion ("Taiping tien-quo" means the "Heavenly Kingdom of Great Peace").
    There were many other revolts, but this was by far the most serious. Lasting
    from 1851 to1864 it took control of large swerves of south and central China,
    including the southern capital of Nanking. There a theocratic­military
    government was established.
    Although it was millenarian in form, the Taiping leaders adopted many policies
    which would later become the marks of modernizers in China: prohibition of
    opium­smoking, gambling, the use of tobacco and wine, polygamy, the sale of
    slaves, and prostitution. The promoted the equality of the sexes: they
    abolished foot-binding and appointed of women as administrators and officers
    in the Taiping army. They also tried to abolish the private ownership of land
    and property, and they developed a program for the equal distribution of land.

From Franz Michael, The Taiping Rebellion: History and Documents, vol. 2,
    Documents and Comments (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1971), pp.
    313­315, 319­320.
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

I think the fictionalized versions are more interesting though.
    Dragon2005

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSnake
    a short info..

Actually this is a different character from the one I'm talking about. They are not the same people.
    Dragon2005

According to legend, the southern Shaolin (Sil Lum in Cantonese) temple in Fukien was destroyed by the oppressive Ching dynasty at the end of the 18th century. As it was being attacked, fires spread throughout the temple. Five elder monks - Master Gee Sim Sum See being one of them - were trapped by the flames as they tried to find an escape route. Miraculously, a golden tarp (or banner) fell upon them and protected them as they fought their way to a back wall. They punched and kicked their way through the brick wall to safety. Upon escaping they made a vow to rid their homeland of the Manchu leaders. Their motto was "Destroy the Ching, restore the Ming." From this secret society of warriors arose one of China's most powerful styles of Kung Fu, Hung Gar (Red clan or Red School).

Gee Sim Sum See sought refuge among the floating opera boats, or "Hung Soan" (Red boats), teaching his skills covertly to rebels. Master Gee Sim would continue to teach his five animal styles. Since space was a factor, even more so on the boats, Master Gee Sim's instruction stressed close-quarter fighting methods. The stances were only fourteen inches apart. Four square feet would be enough room to perform an entire set. This made it extremely effective for the busy streets and small alleys of Southern China.

One of his students in the temple was Hung Hei Goon (Guen or Gung). He studied the Shaolin Tiger Style. Hung Hei Goon was a Fukien tea merchant who met his future wife, Fong Wing Chun, at the temple. Fong Wing Chun (no relation to Yim Wing Chun) was also a student of Master Gee. She came to the temple to learn the White Crane system and avenge the murders of her entire family, who were slaughtered by bandits. Hung, being a curious man, always sought to improve his skills. He thus added to his Tiger Style elements from his wife's White Crane system; movements from the Dragon, Snake, and Leopard (or Panther) forms; and techniques from the five element fists. Hung Hei Goon developed a reputation for being a fighter of great skill and was known as "The Southern Fist." One of the contributions of Hung Hei Goon was the development of the form Kung Gee Fook Fu (Taming tiger). This form serves as the basic foundation of most Hung Gar schools.

Throughout the beginnings, there have been three main styles of Hung Gar (or Hung Ga). The first is called Sil Lum Temple Hung Gar (which is where our Ha Say Fu [Four Lower Tigers] Hung Gar is derived). The second is called Hung Moon or Hung Door. The third is the standard "Canton" Hung Gar, which is founded by Hung Hei Goon. This style is the most commonly seen today. The art was passed down from generation to generation from Hung Hei Goon to his son Luk Ah Choy, then to his son Wong Tai, and to his son Wong Kai Ying, and finally to his son Wong Fei Hung (1850 - 1933) who was one of the most famous folk heroes within martial arts. In his later years he would be credited for formalizing the Hung Gar system as well as developing the famed Tiger & Crane (Fu Hoc Kuen) form. The heroic adventures of this renowned Hung Gar exponent have been dramatized in Chinese cinema in over 100 films, and he has been portrayed by such martial arts stars as Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Kwan Tak Hing. One story dictates that when Wong Fei Hung was 13, already being an accomplished martial artist, traveled with his father demonstrating Hung Gar and selling medicines in different villages. In one village there was a famous teacher of another style, Sifu Gwan Dai Hung, demonstrating on the same day. He became jealous because the Wongs had a much larger crowd watching their performance. Sifu Gwan felt these two were invading his territory and, long pole in hand, approached Master Wong Kai Ying to issue a challenge. Master Wong smiled and told his son Wong Fei Hung to take up his long pole and match skills with this sifu using the Ng long ba wan gwun (8 diagram pole techniques). Wong Fei Hung eliminated the challenger and word of it spread far and wide.

One of Wong Fei Hung's top students was Lam Sai Wing (1861 - 1942). At an early age, Lam had learned Hung Gar from his father (giving us the Arrow Hand and Butterfly Knife forms), and Sifu Wu Gum Sin. Lam also learned Buddha's palm kung fu from Sifu Jung Hon San, and the Iron Wire (tit sing kuen) form from Sifu Lam Fook Sing. Sifu Lam Fook Sing was a disciple of another famous Hung Gar exponent, Tit Kiu Sam, the Iron Wire developer. Master Tit Kiu Sam and Wong Kai Ying were two of the original 10 Tigers from Canton in the late Ching Dynasty, with Wong Fei Hung to be inducted later. At 18, Lam Sai Wing sought out the famous master Wong Fei Hung to learn more. After four attempts to enter into the tutelage of master Wong, he was allowed to demonstrate his skills. Master Wong found him skilled, but not at the master level. Nevertheless he was impressed and accepted the young man. A few years later, Wong Fei Hung, accompanied by his young student Lam, went to the Hoi Tung Gi (Hoi Tung Temple) to discuss a matter with the Abbot monk. At the temple, someone known as the Iron Head Monk, greeted them. The monk told them that the abbot wasn't available, and instead offered them tea. While sipping tea the iron head monk boasted of how he could never be beaten or touched in any confrontation. The monk asked to spar with Wong or Lam. Wong sent Lam to match skills with the monk. The monk attacked with his head. Lam responded with the Mo Ying Gerk (shadowless kick) and knocked the monk back ten feet. As Lam ran over to pick him up, the monk expressed a newfound respect for Wong and Lam and they became friends.

Found this on the web.
    © 2005 Robert Daniels. All rights reserved.
    Dragon2005

Very informative, but I still don't have the slightest idea of who they are... Is it Fang Shiyu?
    ..ext88

Very informative, but I still don't have the slightest idea of who they are... Is it Fang Shiyu?
    Yeah, Fang Shiyu is the younger disciple sibling.
    Dragon2005

Any novels depicting Fang Shiyu? I know there's only the TV series one.
    ..ext88

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

so ignorance, you never go to the cinema or watch Jet Li movie before?

Jet Li play Hung Hei Goon once, Wong Fei Hong 3 or 4 times and michelle yeoh play Wing Chun once. Wing Chun also Bruce Lee basic martial arts...

I guess younger generation today only now pop idol/singer

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    so ignorance, you never go to the cinema or watch Jet Li movie before?
    Ya, the only Jet Li movie that I watch is Huo Yuan Jia.. For Fang Shiyu, I once or twice saw it on TV...
    ..ext88

is wing chun the founder of wing chun quan?

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Loke-Gao-Zhu
    is wing chun the founder of wing chun quan?
    yup!

there are too much movies/series about Hung Hei Goon. His life is boring (to me it is). i heard very little about Wing Chun though.

May be you can read the story from "Maan Nin Ching."

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy
    May be you can read the story from "Maan Nin Ching."

does this translate to "thousand year youth"? Or does it translate "thousand year ruling by the Ching dynasty"? Where can I find it?
    Dragon2005

anyone read this work? 江湖奇俠傳
    I think some of it is contain in there. It made famous the movie "火燒紅蓮寺"
    pretty interesting website:http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/culture/chine...e/mainmenu.htm
    Last edited by dragon2005; 03-08-06 at 08:49 PM.
    Dragon2005

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2005
    anyone read this work? 江湖奇俠傳
    I think some of it is contain in there. It made famous the movie "火燒紅蓮寺"
    pretty interesting website:http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/culture/chine...e/mainmenu.htm
    Who wrote this novel?
    ..ext88