Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Any Badminton Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by z@rds
    I thin you are wrong, in badminton you are not only talking the wrist power, you need your arm power too for smashes and lob. i think the part where you need the most wrist power is the backhand but you can always use the overhead shot.
    I was not clear, what I was saying is in badminton the wrist is flexible, in tennis is firm when hitting the ball. A player who is used to play badminton and then goes to play tennis can injure the wrist easily. Many of us who play badminton regularly just forget to make the wrist firm when hitting the ball in tennis.

Never said tennis is easier than badminton. Actually can't say this because never trained in tennis. In badminton played for select team under professional coaches guidance in my younger days.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle
    I was not clear, what I was saying is in badminton the wrist is flexible, in tennis is firm when hitting the ball. A player who is used to play badminton and then goes to play tennis can injure the wrist easily.
    Yes, that's true. First time i played tennis properly, i was relying too much on my wrist, and it was kind of painful.

Thats why you learn to adjust
    and Badminton > Tennis in terms of enjoyment even though I enjoy tennis. The competition here is too strong though

it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks...that's why i haven't been able to adjust to tennis. now i wish i started off learning tennis and then pick up badminton later...simply because more people i know play tennis. but i guess that makes me more special, huh? badminton is an awesome sport...just wish it receives the recognition it deserves from chauvinistic pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks...that's why i haven't been able to adjust to tennis. now i wish i started off learning tennis and then pick up badminton later...simply because more people i know play tennis. but i guess that makes me more special, huh? badminton is an awesome sport...just wish it receives the recognition it deserves from chauvinistic pigs.
    yea, i'm pretty bad at tennis too, because i'm so used to playing badminton... actually, i'm not very good at badminton either, but compared to tennis...

Tennis has to be one of the most highly paid sports and badminton players? They get paid barely anything compared to them. it's basically 1million vs 100 thousand max

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    Tennis has to be one of the most highly paid sports and badminton players? They get paid barely anything compared to them. it's basically 1million vs 100 thousand max
    Ya, i got to agree with this statement. What badminton players earn from competitions are peanuts compared to tennis. I think its because badminton is not really popular in those countries such as USA or England where the big bucks really lies..

Badminton gets you hell fit

Dont kno where, but it sure is pretty. :]

Are you serious...I am addicted to this sport. I totally agree with you ^ strife_au...you really can get into shape with badminton..especially if you play EXTREME. It's kinda depressing that badminton is not that popular.
    SarangHaeYo Shinhwa!
    Avi featuring the beautiful Han Ga In! Current Obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by dragongirl
    Badminton is too easy. I've never played it before but the first game that I played, I actually won. Doesn't really give you as much exercise as tennis but it's pretty fun. Anyone can play it.
    ever play competatively? dat shit is hard. try swinging that racket for a full game, you'll feel it tomorrow morning ... i play competatively in highschool, it's not as easy. most of the time u can't even see the bird when people smash, it's all about reflexes.

btw, the bird moves faster than the tennis ball.... people that never play badminton competatively need to stfu, it's not your sissy picnic badminton, it's a totally different story. and for the idiots comments about being tall. play in a real match and they'll smash the bird in your face. see if being tall helps. playing wit real feather bird and getting smash in the face at 206mph is something u need to know. look it up before u even talk about it. u do realized the impact of something moving 200mph making an impact in your face over a distance of 3 feet is pretty hard.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton
    Last edited by warlock110; 07-12-06 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilazinprincess
    Are you serious...I am addicted to this sport. I totally agree with you ^ strife_au...you really can get into shape with badminton..especially if you play EXTREME. It's kinda depressing that badminton is not that popular.
    badminton is the 2nd most popular sport in the world, right behind soccor.

badminton is a demanding and fun SPORT. too bad it's not well recognized and appreciated in america.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

I play it constantly now...

Just starting to play more competitively as I improve through the ranks.
    Seriously playing useless people nearly puts me to sleep but when playing actual good players it can be heaps frustrating.
    Its all about thinking ahead and proper positioning, I think once you get to the high levels it doesn't matter how powerfully you can smash the shuttle cock, cos if your opponent is placed in a proper position and is decent enough he'd be able to return basically anything.
    Also to drop serve you actually have to drop serve properly or your just a hopeless goat ready to be lamb chopped.
    Damn the games hard as once you become decent and is vsing decent players >_<. Need to train your wrists hard out to generate any decent power.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    Its all about thinking ahead and proper positioning, I think once you get to the high levels it doesn't matter how powerfully you can smash the shuttle cock, cos if your opponent is placed in a proper position and is decent enough he'd be able to return basically anything.
    yea, singles is very tiring because you need to be able to cover the whole court... usually, i rely on smashing to get me out of problems but unfortunately it's not usually enough

Need to train your wrists hard out to generate any decent power.
    that's why i can't make the transition from badminton to tennis... seriously, i will probably snap my wrist badly trying to play tennis.

yea, singles is very tiring because you need to be able to cover the whole court... usually, i rely on smashing to get me out of problems but unfortunately it's not usually enough

that's why i can't make the transition from badminton to tennis... seriously, i will probably snap my wrist badly trying to play tennis.
    Been playing better, and getting fitter. Still a long way to go before demolishing the old arrogant ladies there :S

Been playing better, and getting fitter. Still a long way to go before demolishing the old arrogant ladies there :S
    surely you wouldn't be mean to the poor old ladies?

i've never played competitively against guys before, but girls don't tend to smash hard, but seem to be very good at making you run around the whole court

surely you wouldn't be mean to the poor old ladies?

i've never played competitively against guys before, but girls don't tend to smash hard, but seem to be very good at making you run around the whole court
    They piss me off... I was on one of theirs team. Whenever I miss hit she would go berserk, crazy lah.
    I aim to knock her out . Girls have good drop shots.
    Sadly theres this girl that hits harder than me, shes quite pro

They piss me off... I was on one of theirs team. Whenever I miss hit she would go berserk, crazy lah.
    I aim to knock her out . Girls have good drop shots.
    Sadly theres this girl that hits harder than me, shes quite pro
    yup, girls have good drop shots. However it's a lot harder for girls to clear from the back of the court
    I would expect guys to smash harder Strife
    i don't really know though, since i've never played against any competitively, and they're too nice to smash full force at me normally.

badminton is dangerous. My doubles partner hit me really hard on my shoulder last time we played... it really hurt

yup, girls have good drop shots. However it's a lot harder for girls to clear from the back of the court
    I would expect guys to smash harder Strife
    i don't really know though, since i've never played against any competitively, and they're too nice to smash full force at me normally.

badminton is dangerous. My doubles partner hit me really hard on my shoulder last time we played... it really hurt
    Yeah I got brusied on my elbow being hit :/.
    Yeah theres a lot of crazily powerful hitters there, I need to pump more weights...
    My mentor is like the best or second best there so its all good.

Yeah I got brusied on my elbow being hit :/.
    Yeah theres a lot of crazily powerful hitters there, I need to pump more weights...
    i reckon you should do wrist exercises every day