Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Any Badminton Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    i reckon you should do wrist exercises every day
    yea I need to.
    With a racket with its cover on then some of those metal sticks designed to flex wrists

I was just playing Badminton today and the feeling was so awesome because I actually know how to play it and is pretty good at it.. (since I'm basically HORRIBLE at every sport except kung fu... ) so, I think I'm in love with badminton from now on...lol
    Fav TVB Artist/Singer: Tavia and Raymond
    Always Obsessed with: Demi Gods and the Semi Devils 97 & Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre 2000

Hmm I was gonna buy a pair of Yonex shoes with the latest in cutting edge in technology and because foot movement is so essential in perfectious play.... But since I'm not that good yet I brought a pair of Nike ones that is just a bit below the quality of the awesome Yonex.

Tomorrow hopefully I will be buying a new Yonex racquet a excellenty one...
    Something like the Armortec 700 or Nanospeed series ones....
    Doubt I'll be buying the Armortec 700 though, its just too awesome to hold as its used by the worlds best players like Lin Dan and Hidayat... might have to settle with a Armortec 300 or Nanospeed 7000... .

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    Hmm I was gonna buy a pair of Yonex shoes with the latest in cutting edge in technology and because foot movement is so essential in perfectious play.... But since I'm not that good yet I brought a pair of Nike ones that is just a bit below the quality of the awesome Yonex.

Tomorrow hopefully I will be buying a new Yonex racquet a excellenty one...
    Something like the Armortec 700 or Nanospeed series ones....
    Doubt I'll be buying the Armortec 700 though, its just too awesome to hold as its used by the worlds best players like Lin Dan and Hidayat... might have to settle with a Armortec 300 or Nanospeed 7000... .
    just some words of advice...

for enthusiasts like us, having the best equipment would not really improve our game that much, unlike the elite pro players. standard ones should suffice i spent too much on them before, and it probably wasn't worth it.

imo, in order of importance, it should be

fitness
    footwork training
    technique refinement
    match practice
    then equipment

I used both MP99 and NS9000X. they are quite good.
    路漫漫,长伴......

C'mon get ready......the future is now, the past is gone forever.....

Quote Originally Posted by c13:4567
    just some words of advice...

for enthusiasts like us, having the best equipment would not really improve our game that much, unlike the elite pro players. standard ones should suffice i spent too much on them before, and it probably wasn't worth it.

imo, in order of importance, it should be

fitness
    footwork training
    technique refinement
    match practice
    then equipment

I used both MP99 and NS9000X. they are quite good.
    Indeed... agility is extremely important and postioning.
    Also the power of the forearm extension... I still need so much training
    Managing to get match fit now, taking on some of the better players at the Xiamen badminton club... At this level I think I can pwn easily most players at the badminton club I used to play at in Adelaide.

Indeed... agility is extremely important and postioning.
    Also the power of the forearm extension... I still need so much training
    Managing to get match fit now, taking on some of the better players at the Xiamen badminton club... At this level I think I can pwn easily most players at the badminton club I used to play at in Adelaide.

I know what you are feeling right now, playing with better player will do wonders to your game I used to play regularly with those who are worse or about the same level as me (talking abt tennis but i think it applies to badminton as well), and my game kinda stagnated for awhile... but ever since i played with much better practice partners, the improvement is tremendous. of course i don't get the nice feeling of thrashing players anymore

actually, imo, the crucial thing is finding people who are half a level higher than you ...playing with someone who is alot better would be meaningless since I would just get thrashed and rallies are always short...
    Last edited by c13:4567; 01-08-07 at 11:16 AM.
    路漫漫,长伴......

C'mon get ready......the future is now, the past is gone forever.....

Quote Originally Posted by c13:4567
    I know what you are feeling right now, playing with better player will do wonders to your game I used to play regularly with those who are worse or about the same level as me (talking abt tennis but i think it applies to badminton as well), and my game kinda stagnated for awhile... but ever since i played with much better practice partners, the improvement is tremendous. of course i don't get the nice feeling of thrashing players anymore

actually, imo, the crucial thing is finding people who are half a level higher than you ...playing with someone who is alot better would be meaningless since I would just get thrashed and rallies are always short...
    Yeah... currently training with my coach is bloody strenous... every two mistakes I have to either run around the hall twice or do 20 sit-ups or 20 push ups.
    But its damn rewarding and the feeling of imrpovement...
    My foot movement is seriously lacking after so many hours spent of the likes of spcnet... need more speed and agility.
    Also need more power in my smashes to kjil the opponent.

Yeah... currently training with my coach is bloody strenous... every two mistakes I have to either run around the hall twice or do 20 sit-ups or 20 push ups.
    But its damn rewarding and the feeling of imrpovement...
    My foot movement is seriously lacking after so many hours spent of the likes of spcnet... need more speed and agility.
    Also need more power in my smashes to kjil the opponent.

you're putting alot of strain on that right wrist with those thousands of swings when u practice already... u shouldn't even try to put more weight on it during it's rest time or you'll be sorry later on.

badminton is mostly endurance/footwork/bird placement... if you do well with these you'll not loose most of the time... but it's harder said than done cuzz that shit is tiring, much more tiring than smashing that bird which most people choose to do... smashing will not win u games vs effective smash return players... and for the most parts people get good at smash returns after they play for a while because it's just reflex....

also you don't need power to smash hard... most of it comes from technique... it's the motion of the body that transfer into the power of the smash... u do need strengh but u can also do without it.

In general, badminton practices always do swings, specially the clear stroke. One of the skills to have is to have your overhead strokes look similar - clear, drops and smashes. Having a good command of this skill will make your opponents harder to anticipate your intention (shots).

I agree badminton is endurance/footwork/bird placement... but not only. You need to have the ability to change the pace as well. For this change of pace you'll need strength and speed - with endurance (conditioned for badminton) you'll be able to maintain it better throughout the match.

Smash is an important component of the game. But you need also speed, power and placement for your smash to succeed. Look at any top players in badminton and all of them have powerful and well smashes. They don't smash recklessly, they do it when they feel the opponent is out of position and could finish or force a weak return.

A powerful smash needs good power - not only from your arm, but also from your whole body. There are players that does not look strong but have a powerful smash. In reality they do, and an important component for a good smash, is the ability to accelerate the racket when executing the stroke.

Badminton is an aggressive game. I don't think you can win just being on the defensive. So far all top players are fast and aggressive. They do not stay on the defensive and do their best to not allow the opponent to attack - smash included.

ah...reading all this makes me miss playing badminton.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by mysterl0us
    So does anyone like Badminton? I love it, whenever I play, my sis & I smack the Birdie so hard, we have to get a new one. LOL! So anyway, I love this sport.
    ha...ha...lol..yeah, i love Badminton too...it's pretty cool!i would say i'm an average player at it though...

the recent championship brought back memories of the golden years of badminton. any malaysian fans in the this forum?

sheraldine

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine
    the recent championship brought back memories of the golden years of badminton. any malaysian fans in the this forum?

sheraldine
    You mean Koo Kiet Keat/Tan Boon Heong winning the All England?
    I'm already dreaming and praying for the World Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    You mean Koo Kiet Keat/Tan Boon Heong winning the All England?
    I'm already dreaming and praying for the World Championship.
    well, the dream might come true.... IF they maintained their game that is. i hate to say this but one thing about malaysian sport is, they rise and fall equally fast i was an avid fan in those golden era of thomas cup, but for the last two decades up i didnt even bother to read who's who. the recent championship, the lads brought a fresh scenery (like the way lasses who gave tennis a whole pretty look ) to the country's gloom and i hope we retrieved all the cups and titles that we lost in the past.

well, the dream might come true.... IF they maintained their game that is. i hate to say this but one thing about malaysian sport is, they rise and fall equally fast i was an avid fan in those golden era of thomas cup, but for the last two decades up i didnt even bother to read who's who. the recent championship, the lads brought a fresh scenery (like the way lasses who gave tennis a whole pretty look ) to the country's gloom and i hope we retrieved all the cups and titles that we lost in the past.
    If the dream does come true I'll start dreaming of our first Olympic gold.
    But yeah, first they'll have to maintain the momentum. Look at our jaguh kampung Lee Chong Wei. One great year and now... Malaysians are consistently inconsistent.

These two guys need to be humble and continue to work hard. They cannot let their success get to their heads otherwise.... And how easily it can happen too. They're so young and their success came so suddenly. Nicol David (squash) will be a good role model for them - level-headed, hard worker and fairly consistent.

Has it really bee two decades? So long... I'm too young to remember those days. Fast forward about 10 years or so... My all time favourite/hero was Thomas Cup winner Foo Kok Keong. Used to do my best to emulate his style of play.

I've been quite pleased with the ladies though. The men might have gone through lots of ups and downs but the stardard of Malaysian women shuttles is climbing. Slowly but surely. We're still far behind the mainland Chinese, but so's the rest of the world. An All England semifinalist was something I won't have dared dream of about 10 years ago. Overall, I'm happy. Bodes well for the future.

If the dream does come true I'll start dreaming of our first Olympic gold. But yeah, first they'll have to maintain the momentum. Look at our jaguh kampung Lee Chong Wei. One great year and now... Malaysians are consistently inconsistent. Has it really bee two decades? So long... I'm too young to remember those days. Fast forward about 10 years or so... My all time favourite/hero was Thomas Cup winner Foo Kok Keong. Used to do my best to emulate his style of play.
    momentum, thats the problem lee was at his peak when he got strokes of bad lucks.... an accident and training problems etc. hmmm....

yes, two decades. i was already working when the thomas cup was aired, and toasting beer and sharing liquor with the cheering crowds. (the bar owner was so happy that he announced free flow to us on the spot!) sadly no more fun and excitement after that if there was some fire in between, we saw more ashes rather than flame and i tell you, malaysian badminton such a tragedy and miserable news then some seniors were fighter, but the team spirit was lousy, then many got estranged, another partnered with too many but affinity to none except one who left soon. another player was rising but his career was cut short by mismanagement. the foreign coaches effort and dedication were neither appreciated nor accepted. the younger generation and junior team were bickering nonstop. at one point, scandal evolving fightings and girls erupted. that was the last 2 decades of malaysian badminton history which wasnt at all a sporting scene. a picture of arrogance or a battered court of game more like it.
    Last edited by sheraldine; 03-14-07 at 10:07 PM.

momentum, thats the problem lee was at his peak when he got strokes of bad lucks.... an accident and training problems etc. hmmm....
    Speaking of Lee... he's out of the Swiss Open. First round defeat too. Sigh. Koo-Tan are the only real hopes left. Let's see if the momentum is still with them.

yes, two decades. i was already working when the thomas cup was aired, and toasting beer and sharing liquor with the cheering crowds. (the bar owner was so happy that he announced free flow to us on the spot!) sadly no more fun and excitement after that if there was some fire in between, we saw more ashes rather than flame and i tell you, malaysian badminton such a tragedy and miserable news then some seniors were fighter, but the team spirit was lousy, then many got estranged, another partnered with too many but affinity to none except one who left soon. another player was rising but his career was cut short by mismanagement. the foreign coaches effort and dedication were neither appreciated nor accepted. the younger generation and junior team were bickering nonstop. at one point, scandal evolving fightings and girls erupted. that was the last 2 decades of malaysian badminton history which wasnt at all a sporting scene. a picture of arrogance or a battered court of game more like it.
    We've had more than our fair share of bad luck - Wong Choong Hann's untimely injury during last year's Thomas Cup among them, the JE outbreak during Yong Hock Kin's peak, the sad passing of Chan Cong Ming's father etc. But, yes, quite a lot of it was caused by our own mismanagement and unmotivated players. I particularly remember the disgrace of one of our best doubles pairs fighting on court....

Speaking of Lee... he's out of the Swiss Open. First round defeat too. Sigh. Koo-Tan are the only real hopes left. Let's see if the momentum is still with them. We've had more than our fair share of bad luck - Wong Choong Hann's untimely injury during last year's Thomas Cup among them, the JE outbreak during Yong Hock Kin's peak, the sad passing of Chan Cong Ming's father etc. But, yes, quite a lot of it was caused by our own mismanagement and unmotivated players. I particularly remember the disgrace of one of our best doubles pairs fighting on court....
    i hope to see no repeat of the usual history and story if you know what i mean

as for lee, yeah, he is not in his form after his accident. the fighting? you mean in hongkong? was that the one, or somewhere else? my oh my, that was also somewhat a decade ago.

i hope to see no repeat of the usual history and story if you know what i mean
    Me too.

as for lee, yeah, he is not in his form after his accident. the fighting? you mean in hongkong? was that the one, or somewhere else? my oh my, that was also somewhat a decade ago.
    Should be right, though I don't remember where it occured. A decade ago is about the right time anyway.
    Last edited by dgfds01; 03-16-07 at 07:22 AM.

Koo-Tan are the only real hopes left. Let's see if the momentum is still with them.....
    you can start to dream the olympic gold actually i was dreaming they lost, coz i was ill then. the next day, the news announced their wins