Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Yeung Gor had never lost his arm? Would he have even survived ROCH?

Default What if Yeung Gor had never lost his arm? Would he have even survived ROCH?

Losing an arm generally would not be considered a lucky break for anybody. Obviously, there's pain, blood loss, and risk of infection. For Yeung Gor, however, losing his arm might have been one of the luckiest breaks of his life.

At the time that Yeung Gor lost his arm, he was already in danger of dying of Passion Flower Poison. There wasn't much he could do about it. He basically had two choices: A). wait for his friends and allies to obtain the antidote or B). wait to die. He was in no position to save his own life.

Not until he discovered and learned how to use Dook Goo Kau Bai's Heavy Iron Sword anyway, and consumed snake organs that boosted his inner power exponentially.

Yeung Gor needed his drastically improved martial arts to accomplish many of his pressing goals (i.e. saving Little Dragon Girl and his own life) between the time that he lost his arm and the time that Little Dragon Girl began her sixteen-year separation from him. Without his rapidly improved martial arts, it's doubtful Yeung Gor could have accomplished those goals. Had he not lost his arm, however, he likely would not have returned to Dook Goo Kau Bai's cave and obtained the Heavy Iron Sword, the snake organs, and the new skills that came with the artifacts. Without these, he might not have been able to survive ROCH.

So perhaps losing his arm wasn't the worst thing that could have happened to Yeung Gor? Imagine what might have happened to him if he *hadn't* lost the arm.

Ken, YG losing an arm is a plot device chosen by the author. If YG didn't lose an arm, JY will still find another way for YG to survive. You can't expect JY to kill off his main character in the middle of the story. Did LHC died because of his injurys? No, because the author will always find a way to save the hero. So to answer your question, if YG will survive or not? The answer is yes, the author will find a way. I don't find YG as being lucky for losing an arm. He is unlucky because the author chose this plot device. And the part about YG getting his martial arts because of losing an arm can also be changed. The author can change every which ways to give his character great martial arts.

Erm, I believe YG was pretty lucky after losing his right arm.

Ah Zhi lost his eyesight, Yang Guo lost his right arm, Xie Xun lost his eyesight, Dongfang Bubai lost his balls, Di Yun lost his five fingers... Jin Yong has a habit of having partially handicapped yet strong-willed main characters.
    ..ext88

I doubt if YG did not lose his arm, he may be able to further advance the "Dog Beating Stick Technique".

If he had not lost his arm, he might not be able to grasp the essence of the Heavy Metal Sword technique. He would still be relying on superior technique and maneuvres, instead of pure internal energy.

But I think he will have more creative space when creating his Melancholic Palms. I mean wtf, how many people in wuxia attack with their breasts??
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Quote Originally Posted by MrIllusion
    I mean wtf, how many people in wuxia attack with their breasts??
    Madam Ma in DGSD does.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Madam Ma in DGSD does.
    Come to think of it... in ZJZ's rendition of DGSD... Wang Yuyan's mother also has great err.... 'potential'...
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Quote Originally Posted by MrIllusion
    Come to think of it... in ZJZ's rendition of DGSD... Wang Yuyan's mother also has great err.... 'potential'...
    HAHA yeah, her top looked to be a couple sizes too small.

anyway YG losing his arm left another big legacy; all the one armed swordsman movies in HK cinema.

YG meet the Divine Condor before losing his right arm and he would probably learn the heavy sword even if he didn't lose his arm. I do agree that he would have more creative space in creating the sad palm like someone mention here ealier.

What really would have happend is that YG would be no 1. in the world if he didn't lose his right arm...

Well, was YG right-handed or left-handed in the first place?
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    YG meet the Divine Condor before losing his right arm and he would probably learn the heavy sword even if he didn't lose his arm.
    Not necessarily. Losing the arm provided Yeung Gor the direct opportunity to return to Dook Goo Kau Bai's cave and learn those skills. Yeung Gor had met the Divine Condor and visited the cave before, but although Dook Goo Kau Bai's legendary career fascinated Yeung Gor, he was too preoccupied with his Passion Flower poisoning and other matters to give it much attention. Had Yeung Gor not lost his arm, it might have been *years* (if indeed ever) before he visited the cave again...if only because his attention would have been elsewhere. Losing his arm forced Yeung Gor to be at the cave at the right time. It created the ideal opportunity for him.

Not that Yeung Gor didn't have the talent to become a Great in his own right, but without this encounter resulting from his limb-loss, it would have taken longer (and might not have happened at all if he didn't survive the Passion Flower poisoning).

What really would have happend is that YG would be no 1. in the world if he didn't lose his right arm...
    Losing the arm apparently didn't hinder him all that much in the long run, so maybe not. Besides, losing the arm forced him to reevaluate his martial arts approach from skill-based to power-based. He might not have chosen to make that transition (at least not so quickly) without the arm loss.

Quote Originally Posted by danshu_
    HAHA yeah, her top looked to be a couple sizes too small.
    Come on, speak in wuxian. It looks like she has too much internal energy concentration at her (warning: bad pinyin to follow) Yu Jin pressure points (these are under the breasts). Seems like a fire deviation is sure to follow. I might need to use my Xi Xing Da Fa to drain some of that energy to save her!
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Not that Yeung Gor didn't have the talent to become a Great in his own right, but without this encounter resulting from his limb-loss, it would have taken longer (and might not have happened at all of he didn't survive the Passion Flower poisoning).
    Yea, if nothing changed save for him getting to keep both his arms, he might have died rather early.

Edited to remove some negative comments about Yang Guo.
    Last edited by Anais; 03-26-06 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Not that Yeung Gor didn't have the talent to become a Great in his own right, but without this encounter resulting from his limb-loss, it would have taken longer (and might not have happened at all if he didn't survive the Passion Flower poisoning).
    I don't think it would have taken him much longer time if longer at all, coz YG's internal energy was already incredible by the time he faked his fire deviation when he tried to kill GJ.

I don't think it would have taken him much longer time if longer at all, coz YG's internal energy was already incredible by the time he faked his fire deviation when he tried to kill GJ.
    For his age, sure, but it was still a big leap from that stage to Greats level. He would need a huge boost (such as the complete 9 Yum Jen Ging or snake organs) to reach that level in any amount of time shorter than ten years.

I think it would also depend on whether or not he stayed with GJ/HR. He would've been able to get pinters from HR about the Dog Beating Stick Techniques as well as the techniques OYF came up with to counter them. And I'm sure that GJ would teach him the complte 9 Yin and eventually the Dragon Palms. There would be no doubt in YG becoming a great.

After losing his arm, YG did not even know where he was going. The horse just so happened to stray to the Condor's place... Which is surprising, since it should be extremely secluded...
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

If he doesn't lose his arm he probably just do the jump with XLN and coincidentally found the XYP like cave full with awesome martial and a senior waiting to give him freebies such as 250 years inner energy, poison frog to counter the flower poison etc. With JY everything can happen, hand or without hand, YG is still the main protagonist of ROCH so he must have his martial-arts boost on a silver plate like all previous protagonist before him such the retarded GJ with the 9 Yin, ZWJ with 9 Yang and QKDNY, XZ with XYP and LHC with DG9J.

If YG didn't lose his arm, he would probably have lost his life to GF. Remember how he lost his arm in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    If he doesn't lose his arm he probably just do the jump with XLN and coincidentally found the XYP like cave full with awesome martial and a senior waiting to give him freebies such as 250 years inner energy, poison frog to counter the flower poison etc. With JY everything can happen, hand or without hand, YG is still the main protagonist of ROCH so he must have his martial-arts boost on a silver plate like all previous protagonist before him such the retarded GJ with the 9 Yin, ZWJ with 9 Yang and QKDNY, XZ with XYP and LHC with DG9J.

that's so true but i kinda like how YG developed his MA. it's much better than to find some superpowerful manuel or even worst a inner energy transfer...

and it wouldn't even be a debate of who is better between YG and GJ cos YG would be THE best in the condor triology period.