Thread: Sai Mun Chui Sheut's target selection criteria?

Default Sai Mun Chui Sheut's target selection criteria?

When discussing Sai Mun Chui Sheut, Luk Siu Fung told Fa Mun Lau that Sai Mun Chui Sheut left his home only four times per year, and each time he left home, it was for the sole purpose of killing someone. Luk Siu Fung remarked that Sai Mun Chui Sheut selected his targets based on how much they deserved to die, and that his targets were usually hypocrites, braggarts, and miscreants.

There were *alot* of such characters in wulin, however. Just how did Sai Mun Chui Sheut select his unfortunate four every year? At the beginning of LUK SIU FUNG, Sai Mun Chui Sheut waxed a guy named Hung Tao, whose sin was apparently killing a good man in a fit of arrogance. But why go after Hung Tao when there were bigger fish to fry around?

In any case, Sai Mun Chui Sheut certainly exceeded that quota for that year. Not only did he get Hung Tao, but he also got a dozen of Yim Teet San's henchmen, So Siu Ying of the Ngor Mei Sect, and Ngor Mei Sect Leader Dook Goo 1 Hok to top it off.

I don't readily recall the four-times a year rule, but anyway...

GL went to much length to make the character look "cool." So naturally he can't be like a normal "da xia" found in JY's books that goes around punishing all the evil-doers. He'll only take on those that strike his fancy. Distance is clearly no factor, nor the skill level of his opponent. He's supposed to take the act of killing very seriously, so really I think it's probably more of a nusance for him to have to kill nameless henchmen. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...

Then later GL decided that he was "too cool," so he set him up with a girlfriend...
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

Reflecting upon this, I find that Hung Tao, for the very brief moment we get to see him, and from the very little that we know about him, wasn't such a bad guy. I'm not sure he deserved to be killed by SMCS, especially considering that much worse people operated in wulin and SMCS left them alone.

It's sometimes surprising how willing SMCS was to sign up for LSF's oddball adventures. He agreed more easily than I presumed he would most of the time that LSF went to him for help.