Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cricket?!

crickets are cool! my friend bought a red dragon cricket and i used my green wing cricket and the two crickets fought in a hell in a cell bird cage match and i won!!!!!! j/k lol...

can somebody explain what cricket is?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Wooot!

Australia vs Sri Lanka in the Final!
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Zzz...sick of australia winning, and don't want a team with malinga the slinger and murali to win.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Yittz you can go back to sleep

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Oi Oi Oi!
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

The one time Gilly decides to fire in world cup...is in the final.

Sigh, can't wait till the rugby world cup. NZ better not choke again like SA in cricket.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

The rain delay in the final really ruined it for me. But i stayed up until 5.30 am, and fell asleep after the Sri Lankan lost 3 wickets.

Gilly's inning is one of the ages, the only australian who batted well, and he had at least a strike rate of 100.00 against all bowlers!

This is not a great World Cup by any stretch of imagination, the best team won, but the tournament had too many many subpar games.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

India beat England 1-0 in the recent three test series. England might have won the first game but for rain, while India might have won the third but for Dravid opting to ensure India couldn't lose rather than press for the win (India already won the second, and would be the first Indian team to win in England since 1986).

India have always been my favourite team, but I was always rather fond of England as well. However, the way this series was played has seriously made me dislike the English approach to the game. While the Australians play hard and talk hard, the English seem to have chosen to talk hard first, and try to intimidate the opposition into playing badly. It might be 'psycho' tactics acceptable in many sports (I frequently do that to opponents when playing carrom, but only in friendly games.. never ever in a competition) but it just seemed so out of place on the cricket field, especially one involving England. New wicket-keeper Matt Prior has a scintillating debut against some very weak West Indian bowling, and thinks he's a spokesman for the team now with his own column in BBC Sport, mouthing all kinds of bravado. He then thankfully gets murdered by the Indians in the games, and I hope he learns to shut up. I'm biased, of course, because as a Nottinghamshire fan I want to see Chris Read come back.

The other thing which annoys me is the bias in reporting these days. Cricket commentary is no longer impartial, given by good reporters who tell the game as it is. A very clear bias in favour of the local English team was evident - more evident than in recent years. Even when England won the 2005 Ashes the commentary seemed to be far more neutral than it was in England. Add to that the new generation of reporters like Ben Dirs and Tom Fordyce, who insist on treating the over-by-over text commentary as their own personal blogs for entertainment, and I certainly had a very unpleasant few weeks. Thankfully India prevailed at the end, and at least the wonderful Test Match Special team on the radio continued to entertain as masterfully as it always has.

Do I still like England? I believe in Vaughan they have a class captain, and the English gentleman game is still evident in some members of the team. Collingwood tried to diffuse a tense situation with some humour, and Pietersen, while being a bit of a bully with the bat, seems to have taken on the Australian mentality of being a beast on-field but a gentleman off it. The new generation of players seem to be more hooligan-like, and I wouldn't be surprise to see Prior and Anderson involved in a pub brawl. As long as Vaughan can hold them all together they'll do well, but until the good positive results on-field keep coming in, empty vessels will always make the most noise.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 08-15-07 at 02:58 AM.

The change in approach was probably a reaction to the perceived niceness of Flintoff's captaincy in Australia, and an attempt to return to the hard as nails attitude that led to the 2005 win. Unfortunately, they don't have the ability to back up this attitude with substance, so it all seems pathetic (unlike the Mind the Windows Tino incident). Also, there is the feeling that certain players (hello Hick and Ramprakash) couldn't cut it at the highest level because they couldn't cope when their opponents confronted them like this, so people are trying to reverse the situation. IMHO there is likely to be a reaction to the failure of this as well, and there will be a return to the basics of the game, with hopefully a return to technicians like the excellent Read (who looks like a wicketkeeper, not a wannabe goalkeeper).

For commentary, the BBC site offers audio commentary from Test Match Special, while the Guardian has the original Over by Over commentaries (which may be too lighthearted and off-topic for your taste, but are hilarious anyway). Cricinfo, of course, has the ball by ball commentaries. The change in commentary style is probably due to the loss of the professional broadcaster (eg. John Arlott, Brian Johnston) and the trend towards former players. While Christopher Martin-Jenkins and Henry Blofeld are still around, frankly they don't measure up to Arlott and Johnston as broadcasters.

I did switch to Cricinfo eventually, especially since Dirs and Fordyce felt the need to refer people there when asked for more serious and professional commentary. Cricinfo's ball-by-ball is way superior to the over-by-over commentary that the Beeb gives anyway.

I have nothing against good humour in commentary, and I have chuckled at a few words which Dirs and Fordyce have chosen to use - some of their descriptions and narratives are rather inspired. However, the two of them try too hard, and become casual for casual's sake (I mean, come on, do I really want to read "ell bee"? A commentator also isn't obliged to make up a nickname for every single darned player out there.), and the inclusion of so much unrelated blog-chat just makes it distracting and annoying. The other Beeb writers such as Mark Mitchener are so much more controlled (perhaps because their more cultured nature results in less distracting email coming in) and very very pleasant to read.

I didn't find much problem with the verbal commentary, though. I never had the privilege of listening to Arlott, but I managed to catch Johnners during his last few years, and Aggers is quite a worthy successor. CMJ and Blowers seem to get distracted sometimes, but Aggers normally manages to keep things entertaining. It must also be said that Sir Geoffrey Boycott does add some atmosphere to the commentary - I may not agree with most of what he says, but that "way back in the good old days" stand does add a lot of flavour to the programme, and Boycott is a lot of fun once you get past his arrogance. Compare that to Gooch, who is more polite, diplomatic, but at the same time, uncontroversial and rather bland. As long as Aggers, Boycs and the Bearded Wonder are still around I think that Test Match Special will always remain attractive for me as long as my ADSL streams obediently.

Agnew learnt his stuff from Johnston, and is probably better suited to being a broadcaster than he was a cricketer (from what I've read about his playing career). Professional, prepared, detailed, and always looking to cover the cricket before any of the peripherals that Blofeld gets obsessed with. CMJ shares the old school professionalism of Agnew and Johnston, but isn't quite as good. Like you, I missed Arlott (although I've read a number of his articles and essays), but I also caught Johnston in his last couple of years. Former players work best when set alongside a dedicated commentator, not on their own. Among those former players, Boycott is a deity in my circles, while I also had a yen for Trevor Bailey before they retired him. However, I also remember the bad old days of old school commentary, so I don't nostagically yearn for the likes of Jack Bannister and Ray Illingworth (or Fred Trueman for that matter). That said, even they were better than Alec Stewart and some of the other rubbish we've had in recent years (I shudder to imagine what Graham Thorpe would be like).

All over by over commentaries are modelled on the Guardian version (aka the OBO), which was the first of its kind. By 2005, it was already enough of a fixture to merit an interview with the OBO commentators on the eve of the 2nd Test. Here's their commentary for the last session of that 2nd Test.

In contrast, the Cricinfo commentary is descended from the commentary done by various cricket lovers around the world, posted on IRC in the early 90s for Indian expats living in the US. Their raison d'etre was to provide accurate and up to date information, and thus there is the difference between the relaxed over by over commentaries modelled on the Guardian, and the more on-topic ball by ball commentaries of Cricinfo.

The only OBO that i read is at the Guardian- makes me laugh really

The cricinfo and BBC or Times's over by over is often more stiff, and lacks the wonderful funny input by readers.
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Aggers and Johnners were extremely loved on air - both dedicated professionals who didn't try to put too much humour, but laced their commentary with a lot of love, interesting observations, honest opinions and an almost childlike joy. That's probably why leg-over was so funny - the incident itself isn't particularly funny, nor is the sound of two commentators laughing uncontrollably on air. It's because it was the wonderful Johnners and classy Aggers who were trapped into doing so by one bad choice of word.

TMS also manages to get really good guests. Not the Daniel Radcliffe-type of guest they got recently (which incidentally was a wonderfully delightful interview by Aggers) but the foreign commentators representing the visiting team's point of view. Little Master Gavaskar was in the box for the Indian series, and while he wasn't a brilliant commentator he did give some insight here and there. Geoff Lawson does the same for the Ashes tests, I can't remember who did the West Indian one - Holding? but the one I really like a lot is Pakistan's Ramiz Raja. That man has class when he speaks, and throws in some good humour to go with his punches. All of them provide some really nice background info about the visiting teams, and it's wonderful that you get to know more about the history of a certain player here and there.

I've read those OBOs and they're pretty well-written. The Beeb's on the other hand lacks class. I couldn't find some of the really annoying ones on the web, only the last match, and the last match didn't seem to be as bad as it used to be. Maybe Dirs got a note from his manager or something.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/6941681.stm

At least this time he refrained from Straussy, Cooky, Vaughany, Belly, Gangules, etc..
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 08-16-07 at 02:30 AM.

Banned

Default RE

I am crazy boy for cricket. I am a big fan of sachin tendulkar. I always enjoy to see the all of levels cricket match like that IPL, One day, Test.

Maybe SAF.

I think Oz will not go well in the tournament.

India will get out in the semis.
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Hey
    I have seen a lot of posts here where people are saying that the reason that they don't like cricket is that it's a harmful game and they are not willing to play the game cricket because they are afraid that might these game could hurt them.
    so for them, I will like to suggest them to play cricket but I in a brand new way, this new way of playing cricket what I am going to suggest all of you will make cricket lots more safer and easier game to play.
    You just have to make a very simple change that is changing the cricket ball that you were playing with a tennis ball and keep all the other rules and regulations, as usual, believe me, you will love it, just try once.
    For more insights about this game get connected with a playing community of it ask them if you have any question through https://bitly.com/app100mph
    Last edited by abhishek_bong; 06-26-17 at 07:16 AM.