Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Movies that should not of been made!

net - i need to sleep...it's 1:30 am for me now. but seeing how i haven't completed my 2 other tasks for you, i feel that i should tell you why i hate sin city and feel that it's utter crap.

sin city had much, too much gratuitous sex, nudity, and violence. i knew it was based on a violent comic book; however, i did not expect to see so many unnecessary tailored made scenes for men. initially, i did not find the movie interesting in any aspect expect for the shooting of the movie. i thought that i was being judgmental much too early and actually sat through 2 stories. but by the end of the 2nd story, i felt so ill with the violence that i had to walk out...the plot was getting nowhere and the artistic feel of the movie was insufficient to warrant my attention. so i ended up watching guess who, a silly romantic comedy that i would never have enjoyed but after seeing a part of sin city, anything was good. and note, i had no expectations of sin city before watching it.

i am aware that many enjoyed the movie. as a matter of fact, i went with a large group of friends and none of the guys knew that i left (those punks!!!! ) because they were so fixated with the movie although the girls noticed (see...girls are so cool). even after discussing the movie with them, i realized that my initial impression of the movie was correct...it was utterly meaningless and complete crap, but my guy friends enjoyed it (surprise, surprise ).

i'm not one to enjoy violence at all...especially if it doesn't change the outcome of the story, yet sin city was 90% violence, 9% sex, and 1% plot. honestly, i don't mind helping victims but i cannot sit through anyone being victimized. it's too inhumane for my taste and seeing this on a large screen really put me off.

another movie i could not enjoy was the passion of christ, and i almost walked out of this one but couldn't bring myself to. i understand the reason mel gibson made the movie so i don't feel as though it shouldn't have been made (i'm obviously a christ supporter)...but i would never watch it again.

anyhow, hope that makes sense...too tired now.
    Last edited by patricia n; 05-22-06 at 04:54 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

40 year old virgin... I'm sure you all like it hilarious movie I watched on the airplane
    Steve Carell stars as Andy in his first major role, after appearing in minor roles, most notably in "BRUCE ALMIGHTY" as the newsreader.
    Here, he plays an obsessive toy collector, works full-time at an electronics store, rides a bicycle, and has never had sex. When his co-workers find out, it's programmed for some mayhem. When a kind divorcée (Catherine Keener) takes a shine to Andy, the virgin panics, and is faced with a real possibility that he might have to have sex with this woman, which sends him on an adventure of love he's never experienced before.

As has been said before, this comedy is actually "funny". I couldn't help myself but thoroughly enjoying it. From the very first moment you see Andy in his humble home, you're in for a real treat.
    The brilliant writing of Judd Apatow and Steve Carell genuinely has purpose and it's not just one hell of a story to tell. Behind the crudeness and vulgar non-stop ride of the film comes an important lesson to be learned. Although not presented in the best way possible, the film gives us more than a purely enjoyable time. And the longer it takes, the harder it gets, which reminds me, that I'll better get a move on.......oops.

Catherine Keener gives an unexplainable perfect performance as Trish, the one woman Andy has his heart truly for. Not only does she also give us laughs but it is crazy to see how brightly she fuels the story. She was cast perfected in the role and her and Carell have terrific, not to mention, hilarious chemistry on screen.
    Carell himself shines as the shy floor manager, and it can be sadi that he's in for some fantastic comedies. This guy can't be scared of, whatever scene it takes to play (his hair actually DID get waxed off....for real).

The soundtrack is quite good, which also features some nice 80's songs, so it's bound to be good. The directing is also splendidly handled, as Carell was involved himself after all.
    One thing can be said though, which is that the jokes do get a little one-tracked and repetitive, and not all the performances aren't the greatest you've ever seen.

Filled with sex jokes, some nudity, and a lot of language, this movie isn't for everyone, heavily rated, but in my opinion, definitely worth seeing.
    It's one of the best comedies of the year, and while nothing else is on, can provide 2-hours of dirty fun.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/volczZz/lmao.gif')

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Twins Effect II is a total flunky...didnt know why they have to do that stupid awful movie....
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    the story, yet sin city was 90% violence, 9% sex, and 1% plot.
    fair enough. i respect your opinion on senseless violence

i've never walked out of a movie. there was one that i almost did - A Thin Red Line. Can't believe I stayed for the whole 170 minutes!!

net - i need to sleep...it's 1:30 am for me now. but seeing how i haven't completed my 2 other tasks for you, i feel that i should tell you why i hate sin city and feel that it's utter crap.

sin city had much, too much gratuitous sex, nudity, and violence. i knew it was based on a violent comic book; however, i did not expect to see so many unnecessary tailored made scenes for men. initially, i did not find the movie interesting in any aspect expect for the shooting of the movie. i thought that i was being judgmental much too early and actually sat through 2 stories. but by the end of the 2nd story, i felt so ill with the violence that i had to walk out...the plot was getting nowhere and the artistic feel of the movie was insufficient to warrant my attention. so i ended up watching guess who, a silly romantic comedy that i would never have enjoyed but after seeing a part of sin city, anything was good. and note, i had no expectations of sin city before watching it.

i am aware that many enjoyed the movie. as a matter of fact, i went with a large group of friends and none of the guys knew that i left (those punks!!!! ) because they were so fixated with the movie although the girls noticed (see...girls are so cool). even after discussing the movie with them, i realized that my initial impression of the movie was correct...it was utterly meaningless and complete crap, but my guy friends enjoyed it (surprise, surprise ).

i'm not one to enjoy violence at all...especially if it doesn't change the outcome of the story, yet sin city was 90% violence, 9% sex, and 1% plot. honestly, i don't mind helping victims but i cannot sit through anyone being victimized. it's too inhumane for my taste and seeing this on a large screen really put me off.

another movie i could not enjoy was the passion of christ, and i almost walked out of this one but couldn't bring myself to. i understand the reason mel gibson made the movie so i don't feel as though it shouldn't have been made (i'm obviously a christ supporter)...but i would never watch it again.

anyhow, hope that makes sense...too tired now.
    complete crap?
    either the folks on imdb or other critics are blind or u have poor taste in movies
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/

The Hartigan story have 2 parts so u miss out a nice ending and I dun know how a movie with 1% plot as u claim can get such great reviews. It may be too violent for some people but the bad guys get wat they deserved in the end so wats wrong with that?

It may not appealed to u but to call it an utter crap is an insult to this masterpiece
    Last edited by shen long; 05-22-06 at 11:26 AM.

House of Flying Daggers

I'ts not the worst film ever, but it is the one that Americans think represents China's entertainment industry fully. IT is seriously not a good representation of what China can do!

Erm, i don't think the HP movies should have been made in such a crap fashion. Totally ruined the hot image i had of Harry

King Arthur. Worst film ever. Didn't even relate to the legend. It was seriously like a totally different plot and characters whcih incidently had the same name as the people in the legend.

wait till they see wuji......

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    King Arthur. Worst film ever. Didn't even relate to the legend. It was seriously like a totally different plot and characters whcih incidently had the same name as the people in the legend.
    this is why you didn't enjoy the movie. you thought the movie was about the fairytale legend. King Arthur was a real historical figure - the movie was based on Artorius Castus who was given rulership of Britain by Marcus Aurelius (yes the same Marcus Aurelius from Gladiator) when the Romans withdrew military occupation. Artorius fought off the Saxon invasion from the north in a series of heroic battles - hence the legend of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table was born, with each telling more fanciful than the last (eg Excalibur, Lady of the Lake, Avalon etc..)

Quote Originally Posted by shen long
    complete crap?
    either the folks on imdb or other critics are blind or u have poor taste in movies
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/

The Hartigan story have 2 parts so u miss out a nice ending and I dun know how a movie with 1% plot as u claim can get such great reviews. It may be too violent for some people but the bad guys get wat they deserved in the end so wats wrong with that?

It may not appealed to u but to call it an utter crap is an insult to this masterpiece
    a review can be used as a guide to determine which movie is worth seeing, but no one review can establish a taste that caters to ALL audience. are you going to tell me that you've agreed with every single review that has been written for every movie you've seen? because i find that hard to believe.

i think sin city is crap, but as i mentioned, i have friends who enjoyed the movie. imo, i don't think that it should have ever been made because it was a complete waste of my time, hence crap. but if others like it, then i will not try to convince them otherwise because i unuderstand that's what opinions are. and in case you didn't get it, the percentage i allotted to plot, violence, and sexual content was an exaggeration to make my point.

and sin city was obviously a movie made for men. it is the epitome of the perfect movie for guys, so i can see why you would like it. but gratuitous violence, sex, and nudity does not constitute a plot for me.

just like some men will call pride and predujice crap, i consider it a masterpiece (well, not quite) but i will not get offended if others think differently from me because again...that's an opinion.

ps. i don't think there's anything wrong with disagreeing with critics. it gives me more individuality that way. but if you need critic's reviews to help you form an opinion then i don't know what to say.

net-thanks for understanding my frustration towards senseless violence.
    Last edited by patricia n; 05-22-06 at 03:58 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Any movie that starrs Hillary Duff

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen with Lindsay Lohan

Any Olsen Twins movie ( from pre-teen to teen)

It seems harsh but really...leave the acting to the professionals, girls.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

a review can be used as a guide to determine which movie is worth seeing, but no one review can establish a taste that caters to ALL audience. are you going to tell me that you've agreed with every single review that has been written for every movie you've seen? because i find that hard to believe.

i think sin city is crap, but as i mentioned, i have friends who enjoyed the movie. imo, i don't think that it should have ever been made because it was a complete waste of my time, hence crap. but if others like it, then i will not try to convince them otherwise because i unuderstand that's what opinions are. and in case you didn't get it, the percentage i allotted to plot, violence, and sexual content was an exaggeration to make my point.

and sin city was obviously a movie made for men. it is the epitome of the perfect movie for guys, so i can see why you would like it. but gratuitous violence, sex, and nudity does not constitute a plot for me.

just like some men will call pride and predujice crap, i consider it a masterpiece (well, not quite) but i will not get offended if others think differently from me because again...that's an opinion.

ps. i don't think there's anything wrong with disagreeing with critics. it gives me more individuality that way. but if you need critic's reviews to help you form an opinion then i don't know what to say.

net-thanks for understanding my frustration towards senseless violence.
    well if u strip away all that violence,sex(hardly any),nudity(just a bit here and there) I would still watch it becos its the plot that drives the story which I m sure most agree is pretty good. The critcs might not be 100% right each time but I have never seen a bad review on sin city so calling this crap just becos u dun like it is a bit too far.Even if I dun like a particular movie I wouldn't call it crap unless the majority agrees with me.
    Last edited by shen long; 05-23-06 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    40 year old virgin... I'm sure you all like it hilarious movie I watched on the airplane
    Steve Carell stars as Andy in his first major role, after appearing in minor roles, most notably in "BRUCE ALMIGHTY" as the newsreader.
    Here, he plays an obsessive toy collector, works full-time at an electronics store, rides a bicycle, and has never had sex. When his co-workers find out, it's programmed for some mayhem. When a kind divorcée (Catherine Keener) takes a shine to Andy, the virgin panics, and is faced with a real possibility that he might have to have sex with this woman, which sends him on an adventure of love he's never experienced before.

As has been said before, this comedy is actually "funny". I couldn't help myself but thoroughly enjoying it. From the very first moment you see Andy in his humble home, you're in for a real treat.
    The brilliant writing of Judd Apatow and Steve Carell genuinely has purpose and it's not just one hell of a story to tell. Behind the crudeness and vulgar non-stop ride of the film comes an important lesson to be learned. Although not presented in the best way possible, the film gives us more than a purely enjoyable time. And the longer it takes, the harder it gets, which reminds me, that I'll better get a move on.......oops.

Catherine Keener gives an unexplainable perfect performance as Trish, the one woman Andy has his heart truly for. Not only does she also give us laughs but it is crazy to see how brightly she fuels the story. She was cast perfected in the role and her and Carell have terrific, not to mention, hilarious chemistry on screen.
    Carell himself shines as the shy floor manager, and it can be sadi that he's in for some fantastic comedies. This guy can't be scared of, whatever scene it takes to play (his hair actually DID get waxed off....for real).

The soundtrack is quite good, which also features some nice 80's songs, so it's bound to be good. The directing is also splendidly handled, as Carell was involved himself after all.
    One thing can be said though, which is that the jokes do get a little one-tracked and repetitive, and not all the performances aren't the greatest you've ever seen.

Filled with sex jokes, some nudity, and a lot of language, this movie isn't for everyone, heavily rated, but in my opinion, definitely worth seeing.
    It's one of the best comedies of the year, and while nothing else is on, can provide 2-hours of dirty fun.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/volczZz/lmao.gif')
    Huh? I thought this topic was on what movies that shouldn't have been made? Anyways, I agree. It is an enjoyable movie =)

and I second Twins Effect II.

this is a popular thread to post in... catch ppl off guard $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/volczZz/smiley_md_clr.gif')
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    this is a popular thread to post in... catch ppl off guard $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/volczZz/smiley_md_clr.gif')
    lol

Strife_au, stop spamming the forum with these smilies.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

well if u strip away all that violence,sex(hardly any),nudity(just a bit here and there) I would still watch it becos its the plot that drives the story which I m sure most agree is pretty good. The critcs might not be 100% right each time but I have never seen a bad review on sin city so calling this crap just becos u dun like it is a bit too far.Even if I dun like a particular movie I wouldn't call it crap unless the majority agrees with me.
    well good for you. there's no need to validate your taste by trying to prove to me otherwise. just because you think it's a masterpiece does not mean that it can't be crap to others. masterpieces in my opinion are braveheart and schindler's list.sin city comes no where close to that. while i agree sin city is artistically done, it is not worth my time. if you like sin city then that's fine but that gives you no right to force your opinion down my throat. i think it's crap but i don't see the need to make you feel the same just like you shouldn't feel the need to change my opinion because that's what opinions are. i think you're smart enough to understand this. and if you take away the nudity, the violence , and the sex in sin city, the movie will only be maybe 20 minutes long. this will be my last respone to you. i respect your decision to call it a masterpiece and i haven't been trying to change your opinion. if anything, i've only been trying to point out the obvious which is people have different opinions and the critics are there as a guide, not a definitive concensus and opinion.

EDIT: there are more important debates to spend your time arguing that will make a difference in the world. this is futile because i don't see the need to change my opinion on this matter. even if you call any of the masterpieces i label as crap, it will not affect my life or others.

EDIT 2: and the only reason i typed a lengthy message as to why i thought it was crap was for another member who was curious about my taste. not because i was trying to make him change his mind. note, he enjoyed the movie but he respected my opinion and let it rest there.

suet seung-ah, let strife have his fun. the smilies are cute and take away from the tension in this thread.
    Last edited by patricia n; 05-23-06 at 01:23 PM.

wow...I didn't see this thread turning into a debate haha. I personally enjoyed Sin City, but I would understand why some people wouldn't like it. Sin City really is something that is more of an acquired taste for some. If a person could deal with the gore and violence and all, they could get past it and see the plot for what it was, if not, then to them, there is no plot. I personally saw the plot forming more towards the end which is probably why patricia didn't notice it as much, but that's just my thinking =p

As for on topic, the only movie that comes to mind now is Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. For some reason I found the acting, the jokes, the storyline all very...blah. The humor seemed tasteless and nothing really held my attention...anyone feel free to disagree, just my thinking =D
    ~*~ Philipians 1:3~*~

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Strife_au, stop spamming the forum with these smilies.
    soz lah

well good for you. there's no need to validate your taste by trying to prove to me otherwise. just because you think it's a masterpiece does not mean that it can't be crap to others. masterpieces in my opinion are braveheart and schindler's list.sin city comes no where close to that. while i agree sin city is artistically done, it is not worth my time. if you like sin city then that's fine but that gives you no right to force your opinion down my throat. i think it's crap but i don't see the need to make you feel the same just like you shouldn't feel the need to change my opinion because that's what opinions are. i think you're smart enough to understand this. and if you take away the nudity, the violence , and the sex in sin city, the movie will only be maybe 20 minutes long. this will be my last respone to you. i respect your decision to call it a masterpiece and i haven't been trying to change your opinion. if anything, i've only been trying to point out the obvious which is people have different opinions and the critics are there as a guide, not a definitive concensus and opinion.

EDIT: there are more important debates to spend your time arguing that will make a difference in the world. this is futile because i don't see the need to change my opinion on this matter. even if you call any of the masterpieces i label as crap, it will not affect my life or others.

EDIT 2: and the only reason i typed a lengthy message as to why i thought it was crap was for another member who was curious about my taste. not because i was trying to make him change his mind. note, he enjoyed the movie but he respected my opinion and let it rest there.

suet seung-ah, let strife have his fun. the smilies are cute and take away from the tension in this thread.
    hmmmmm well I still think its unfair to to call it crap when u didn't even finish watching the movie so hopefully u would give it another chance and perhaps u would change ur mind.

P.S: the masterpiece comment I made is a bit too much but its still a great show,I just can't understand how u would regard it as crap

Quote Originally Posted by LTD
    wow...I didn't see this thread turning into a debate haha. I personally enjoyed Sin City, but I would understand why some people wouldn't like it. Sin City really is something that is more of an acquired taste for some. If a person could deal with the gore and violence and all, they could get past it and see the plot for what it was, if not, then to them, there is no plot. I personally saw the plot forming more towards the end which is probably why patricia didn't notice it as much, but that's just my thinking =p

As for on topic, the only movie that comes to mind now is Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. For some reason I found the acting, the jokes, the storyline all very...blah. The humor seemed tasteless and nothing really held my attention...anyone feel free to disagree, just my thinking =D
    Hey, is Kung Pow the movie that has a scene with a guy fighting with a cow? If it is.. yeah.. I dislike that particular scene.. Very crappy.. and not funny either...

hmmmmm well I still think its unfair to to call it crap when u didn't even finish watching the movie so hopefully u would give it another chance and perhaps u would change ur mind.

P.S: the masterpiece comment I made is a bit too much but its still a great show,I just can't understand how u would regard it as crap
    different strokes for different folks. same can be said for beauty. many find zzy attractive but i don't.