Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smile Again Review

Smile Smile Again Review

Title : Smile Again
    Cast : Kim Hee Sun, Yi Dong Gun
    Synopse : A long term on&off love story bewteen a softball player & low-life scum.
    Remark : Kim Hee Sun's final drama series before her forthcoming marriage and retirement.

Comments : This is a small-scale drama for someone of Kim Hee Sun's caliber especially compared to mega-budget "Sad Sonata"; but then again, Kim Hee Sun's name power has diminished greatly over the years, as she faces strong competition from teen actresses who could act professionally. As Kim's final drama series before her retirement, the show is underwhelming.

Kim Hee Sun plays a baseball pitcher turned softball pitcher living a hard life pursuing her dream; likewise Yi Dong Gun also plays a low-life scum who has an on&off relationship with Kim Hee Sun, while also having a live-in girlfriend. Kim tries a comic acting here(not sure if this is supposed to be a comedy), yet her acting is still stiff and unnatural as it has always been. Lookswise Kim looks as good as ever, hardly showing any signs of aging, but that's the only thing good about this drama. All looks, no substances.

I wish Kim had a better closure of her acting career than this, but then again, she is not in the position to ask for a better closure.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe
    Remark : Kim Hee Sun's final drama series before her forthcoming marriage and retirement.
    This is going to be her last drama series?

Quote Originally Posted by slow_jamz
    Yeah...thats what it means.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I thought Ha Ji Won got picked for this role instead of Kim Hee Sun but ohh well... I want to see KHS anyway . OMG! KHS's last drama!!! ? I really adore her acting ... and her beauty. I'm going to miss her so I better watch this lol. By the way do you know who she's going to marry .. I guess it's a person that isn't from entertainment news and all that.
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

lee dong gun n da guy from SS501 look so much alike.... i thought it was him when i saw a pic of this serie...

Quote Originally Posted by slow_jamz
    she's retiring from showbiz????or just from making series???... She's not one of them most talented actress but her beauty and charisma is so charming...i love her in "the myth" ..though most of her dramas are disappointing (cough, cough : Sad sonata) ....if she chose to be away from the spotlight...it'll be hard to compete for it again..though she's a veteran in show business already..

she's retiring from showbiz????or just from making series???...
    Bye Bye from showbiz. She has nothing to go for career wise because her career has been going downhill since 2001. I think she knows her career is over.

she is not retire yet...she just say in the article that if she's getting married then she'll retire from the entertainment circle to stay home and be a good wife....her career is increase rite now after the success of the myth so i dont think she quitting at this moment...

her career is increase rite now after the success of the myth
    Since when was The Myth a success??

Since when was The Myth a success??
    i thought it was the great movie....i thought Jacky had some good praises as well....one of the best movie i seen for some time..

Quote Originally Posted by tuoimongmo2007
    she's retiring from showbiz????or just from making series???... She's not one of them most talented actress but her beauty and charisma is so charming...i love her in "the myth" ..though most of her dramas are disappointing (cough, cough : Sad sonata) ....if she chose to be away from the spotlight...it'll be hard to compete for it again..though she's a veteran in show business already..
    Lol I agree ... although she won many awards before .
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

Kim Hee-sun's pretty to me so I'll give this drama a watch since she's going to be a sportswoman in the drama

Great news .>>>Smile again is not Kim last drama....She'll be doing another real soon.So happy....i think this is going to be a big one...............Can't wait......
    credits to Chaerim forum

5/23/06 -- On 5/23, the entertainment company "Star Max " announces that Kim Hee Sun and Park Ji Yoon are selected to costar in the 24-episode historical drama "Haeuhwa - Beautiful Woman " scheduled to be aired by MBC around the beginning of 2007. The drama portrays the success story of 4 heroines being the first class Kisaeng , a kind of Korean geisha, in Chosun era. The script writer is Kim Sung Hee who wrote for SBS drama "Hong Kong Express".

KHS plays the role So Yun who resolves the resentment for her deceased father. PJY plays the role Eun Hyang who came out of poor and low class and then serves as So Yun's maid. The other two heroines are Ja Woon (자운) and Aeng Doo (앵두). The name "Haeuhwa" is a kind of flower, and people call a "beautiful woman" as "Haeuhwa". The "First Class Kisaeng )" is a woman well educated on dancing, sound, skills, and knowledge. The representative of "Star Max" states, "This drama re-illuminates the true art of the first class Kisaeng of our traditional culture."

OMG.....i dled 2 episodes n OMG!!!!! MYUN HOONS IN IT!!!! n did u ppl realize dat da song at da end of episode 2 is se7ens???

Quote Originally Posted by tuoimongmo2007
    Great news .>>>Smile again is not Kim last drama....She'll be doing another real soon.So happy....i think this is going to be a big one...............Can't wait......
    Woah another one this year for her!

She's on a roll

Smile again is a come back of Lee Dong Gun after a respite for almost two years. That is why I was looking forward that he would be paired to someone that will provide good chemistry on the small screen. They are a lot of new, good and much better looking korean actress nowadays, so I hope next time LDG will be paired anew to one of them. No offense meant to KHS fans.

That is why I was looking forward that he would be paired to someone that will provide good chemistry on the small screen.
    If you are a Yi Dong Gun fan, then you are not going to like this drama; Yi Dong Gun's character is evil to the bone and he seemed to have lost quite a weight.

The only thing that stands out is Kim Hee Sun's face; she is defying aging exceptionally well, probably the best conditioned face in the industry.

If you are a Yi Dong Gun fan, then you are not going to like this drama; Yi Dong Gun's character is evil to the bone and he seemed to have lost quite a weight.

The only thing that stands out is Kim Hee Sun's face; she is defying aging exceptionally well, probably the best conditioned face in the industry.
    How old is Kim Hee Sun anyway? You all make her sound so old. I started watching Korean dramas recently and never really pay attention to the details of the actors' and actresses' lives. I watched the first two episodes of Smile Again yesterday, with no English subtitles unfortunately but I still understand the story line. I can't find too much information online about this drama. I guess because it's still new?

How old is Kim Hee Sun anyway?
    Officially, 28(1977). Factually, 29(1976). Her birth was reported late, and there are a lot of unanswered questions surrounding her birth.

You all make her sound so old.
    Well, you tune on TV channel and see a 19 year old actress playing a 27-year old con-artist and a 25 year old playing a 30 year old unmarriable "old maiden". Given the trend of actresses playing roles 5~7 years older than their actual age, 29-year old Kim Hee Sun playing a 24-year old softball player goes against the trend. It is kind a funny to see Kim Hee Sun calling two male leads at least 4 year her junior as "Senpai", but that's the way it is.

I started watching Korean dramas recently and never really pay attention to the details of the actors' and actresses' lives. I watched the first two episodes of Smile Again yesterday, with no English subtitles unfortunately but I still understand the story line. I can't find too much information online about this drama. I guess because it's still new?
    It has two more episodes to go. A poorly made show indeed.

I am a big fan of Lee Dong Gun that is why I am looking forward to see him in another series. I just hope that this come-back series after a lull of almost two years will satisfy his fans. I am not a fan of Kim Hee Sun, although I don't dislike her either, but how I'd wish that LDG has been paired to some younger or new face korean actress. And they are far many to choose from.