Thread: TVB older Jin Yong series question...

Default TVB older Jin Yong series question...

Hello,

A thought just came to mymind and just wanted to share with you guys.

The 80s version of Jing Yong series are, generally, kept the spirit of the novel eventhought they don't follow the novel at all.

I have noticed that Jing Yong series from 80s to 83 dont' quite followthe novel. But then from 84 and up, it follows the novel quite nicely.

SemiDevil and DemiGod 81, Legend of the condor heroes, and Return of the condor heroes all are not that faithful to the novel. But then from Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre, Flying fox of Snowy Mountain, and Duke of mount Deer, all pretty much follow the novel form the beginning to the end.

WHy do you think that is? Is it because TVB producers are tired of making up stuff, or the audiences were complaining that they should follow the novel?

I have find myself forwarding alot of the scenes on the ones that they dont' follow the novels. SemiDevil and DemiGod, LOCH, and ROCH, all have fast forwarded alot of secnes. Series like, DOMD, Flying Fox and Heaven Sword, were all wonderful and I didn't find myself fastforwarding.

What do y'all think?

I am currently watching the 80's version of Snowy Mountain with Ray Lui. And I must say, it is a WONDERFUL series!!!!!Acting are great, songs are great, action, fighting are magnificent, did not deviate from the book....there is really nothing bad to say about this series!

THe currrent version of Snowy Mountain should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by QF
    Hello,

The 80s version of Jing Yong series are, generally, kept the spirit of the novel eventhought they don't follow the novel at all.

I have noticed that Jing Yong series from 80s to 83 dont' quite followthe novel. But then from 84 and up, it follows the novel quite nicely.

SemiDevil and DemiGod 81, Legend of the condor heroes, and Return of the condor heroes all are not that faithful to the novel. But then from Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre, Flying fox of Snowy Mountain, and Duke of mount Deer, all pretty much follow the novel form the beginning to the end.

WHy do you think that is? Is it because TVB producers are tired of making up stuff, or the audiences were complaining that they should follow the novel?

I have find myself forwarding alot of the scenes on the ones that they dont' follow the novels. SemiDevil and DemiGod, LOCH, and ROCH, all have fast forwarded alot of secnes. Series like, DOMD, Flying Fox and Heaven Sword, were all wonderful and I didn't find myself fastforwarding.

What do y'all think?

I am currently watching the 80's version of Snowy Mountain with Ray Lui. And I must say, it is a WONDERFUL series!!!!!Acting are great, songs are great, action, fighting are magnificent, did not deviate from the book....there is really nothing bad to say about this series!

Who knows? We aren't the directors...speaking of directors I don't think that the directors of all of the JY 80's are the same so the style should be different. I heard that the LOCH and ROCH from the 80's are the best despite some unloyal parts to the novel. I never actually saw them myself (well I have but when I was quite young and didn't understand) so I can't give my opinions on them.

I can't remember.. And that time I don't have the comparison. I watched the series then searched for the books.. But I think Felix Wong Yat Wah and Andy Lau played great in LoCH and RoCH..

Imho, there's no perfect book to movie conversion yet. Even today it's still hard to achieve fair satisfaction (or maybe it's getting harder since people nowadays were hard to pleased). Harry Potter and Geisha for example. But then again, every script writers has his/her own views about how the story will/shall be and there's also Director's shared his/her own views. Or maybe there's a technical difficulty to follow.

So I think, as long as the 'essense' of the book kept faithfully, it's not a very big problem. Beside, without additional surprise 'filler' wouldn't you not better read the book instead ? Imho, your imagination is your best entertainment.
    Last edited by Naruto-kun; 05-23-06 at 06:13 AM.
    Liberalism is not a philosophy. It's a mental disorder. -- Michael Savage.

Since we're on the topic....

In HSDS86, Zhou Er, Zhang Wu Ji's cousin died from blood loss, thanks to Zhu Zhi Ruo slicing up her face.

In HSDS2000, She wasn't really dead, the poison in her 1000 Poisonous Spider kungfu was released when ZZR killed her or something but yeah, she's alive and she goes after ZZR and goes to find ZWJ to explain why he claimed her as his wife.

So was she alive or dead at the end of the novel?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Hello,

To a certain point - then comes the dodgy Lianchengjue and the travesty which called itself Xiakexing. The liberties taken with those two were horrendous!

I think back in the 80, the novel were not too popular and everyone watching the adaptations have not really started comparing it to the novels. Possibly after the adapations got fame and people starting to read the novels is when you see people started comparing and complaining about the adaptations not following the story. Then TVB started to try to follow the novels more. Or rather JY told them to follow the novels closer or lose the rights to making adapatations?
    可惜不是你 陪我到最后

Quote Originally Posted by slchan0
    Or rather JY told them to follow the novels closer or lose the rights to making adapatations?
    Not likely. ROCH '83 was one of Jin Yong's all time favorite adaptations of his novels and there was all kinds of stuff in ROCH '83 that Jin Yong never wrote into the novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Since we're on the topic....

In HSDS86, Zhou Er, Zhang Wu Ji's cousin died from blood loss, thanks to Zhu Zhi Ruo slicing up her face.

In HSDS2000, She wasn't really dead, the poison in her 1000 Poisonous Spider kungfu was released when ZZR killed her or something but yeah, she's alive and she goes after ZZR and goes to find ZWJ to explain why he claimed her as his wife.

So was she alive or dead at the end of the novel?
    I only read the old translation I think it's second if not the first ed. But yes, Zhou Er did not die. Because of ZZR sliced her face, she was even freed from the poison.

But let me check it again..
    Liberalism is not a philosophy. It's a mental disorder. -- Michael Savage.

Zhu Er did not die in the book (2nd edition) She came back and "haunted" Zhiruo for a while near the end of the book.

Yes, only the 80s flying fox is worth watching. It was butchered in practically every other adaptation, and the new one... Miao Ruo Lan marries Fu Kang An after getting raped by him -.- 80s had the best Cheng Ling Su too!!!! loved her

As for your actual question. Maybe people did start wanting more accurate adaptations. I feel the 80s series all capture the wuxia feel nicely, and it is only lately that i've found adaptations start to go crazy, since about 1999

which flying fox has the themesong 追梦人《雪山飛狐》?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues
    Zhu Er did not die in the book (2nd edition) She came back and "haunted" Zhiruo for a while near the end of the book.
    This happens in HSDS Third edition too.
    ..ext88