Thread: Could Dook Goo 1 Hok (LSF) handle Dook Goo 9 Swords?

Default Could Dook Goo 1 Hok (LSF) handle Dook Goo 9 Swords?

In Gu Long's LUK SIU FUNG novel series, the Ngor Mei Sect Leader Dook Goo 1 Hok had the extraordinary skill of being able to instantly locate and seal the weaknesses in his own sword technique, making it effectively impossible for foes to exploit whatever weaknesses they might find in his technique. Even Sai Mun Chui Sheut, who is known for a killer sword style that specializes in attacking weaknesses in the enemy's technique, was unable to penetrate Dook Goo 1 Hok's defenses until Dook Goo 1 Hok ran out of inner power (which only happened because Fok Teen Ching had drained Dook Goo 1 Hok's inner power just minutes before Dook Goo's duel with Sai Mun). Had Dook Goo 1 Hok not been drained of inner power before dueling Sai Mun Chui Sheut, Dook Goo 1 Hok would likely have defeated Sai Mun Chui Sheut.

Dook Goo Kau Bai's Dook Goo 9 Swords followed a principle similar to Sai Mun Chui Sheut's sword technique: it was purely offensive, exploiting the vulnerabilities in the enemy's technique. While Dook Goo 1 Hok might not have been good enough to defeat Dook Goo Kau Bai himself (Dook Goo Kau Bai had more than Dook Goo 9 Swords going for him, after all; he could switch to Heavy Iron Sword mode or No Sword mode), perhaps Dook Goo 1 Hok could have beaten such latter day Dook Goo 9 Swords practitioners such as Fung Ching Yeung or Ling Wu Chung...neither of whom was known for impressive inner power and whose inner power was likely inferior to Dook Goo 1 Hok's (like Sai Mun Chui Sheut's was)?

It all depends on the speed of the character and how fast someone can exploit any weaknesses.

Revisiting this topic (yes, I'm going to get some serious LUK SIU FUNG discussion going if it kills me).

Dennis mentions speed: Sai Mun Chui Sheut was about as fast it got (other than Yip Goo Sing) in terms of the attack speed of his sword. Even SMCS wasn't fast enough, however, to strike through Dook Goo 1 Hok's vulnerable points before DG1H was able to seal off the vulnerable point. Only when DG1H ran out of inner power (from having it mostly drained away by Fok Teen Ching) was SMCS able to exploit the vulnerability.

Would the same happen to Dook Goo 9 Swords? Dook Goo 9 Swords relies on locating/creating vulnerabilities, but how well will that work against a counter whose entire idea is instantly detecting and sealing one's own vulnerabilities?

According to Feng Qingyang, the most skilled practitioner of DG9J we know of, when two highly skilled fighters compete, and there isn't any great disparity in skillsets, the outcome depends on how well they fight, once the fight moves beyond mere theory. The art is dead, but the sword is alive. Theory is theory, what matters most is how one applies that theory.

The most obvious example would be Dongfang Bubai and his obvious weaknesses in sword art, which were unexploitable because of his sheer speed. Linghu Chong's sword theory was superior to Dongfang Bubai's, but theory wasn't practice.

According to Feng Qingyang, the most skilled practitioner of DG9J we know of, when two highly skilled fighters compete, and there isn't any great disparity in skillsets, the outcome depends on how well they fight, once the fight moves beyond mere theory. The art is dead, but the sword is alive. Theory is theory, what matters most is how one applies that theory.

The most obvious example would be Dongfang Bubai and his obvious weaknesses in sword art, which were unexploitable because of his sheer speed. Linghu Chong's sword theory was superior to Dongfang Bubai's, but theory wasn't practice.
    From the above, I draw the conclusion that DG1H would trump DGKB since DGKB only had theory and DG1H had both that and sheer speed
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post

Was DG1H formless? I think the above was supposed to characterize when two formless fighters duel. Since DG1H had weaknesses, I'm not sure he was formless. He was just able to quickly cover his weaknesses, but they still existed.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Since both competitors are surnamed Dugu, let us compare what comes after.

Since 9 > 1, I declare Dugu 9 Swords should handle Dugu 1 He just fine.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Since both competitors are surnamed Dugu, let us compare what comes after.

Since 9 > 1, I declare Dugu 9 Swords should handle Dugu 1 He just fine.
    But being ninth-ranked is inferior to being first-ranked.

But Gong 9 is much more powerful than Dugu 1 He. From this we can infer that the bigger number, the stronger or at least that 9 > 1. So Dugu 9 Swords should be superior to Dugu 1 He.
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

Indeed, and Yan 13 is usually considered a little better than Gong 9, which is consistent with the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Indeed, and Yan 13 is usually considered a little better than Gong 9, which is consistent with the flow.
    Then Mao 18 would wipe the floor with time-freezer.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Yes, and they're all rather miniature compared to Feng 10,000 Li.

Would the outcome be the same if SMCS use DG9J during his fight with DG1H?
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    Would the outcome be the same if SMCS use DG9J during his fight with DG1H?
    Sai Mun Chui Sheut's native sword technique practically is a bastard form of Dook Goo 9 Swords.

[arrgggggh.]

Does that mean Xiao 11 Lang is in between Yan 13 and Gong 9?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Does that mean Xiao 11 Lang is in between Yan 13 and Gong 9?
    Yes, and even Duan San-Gu or Shen San Niang should beat poor Dugu Yi He combined with Yi Dian Hong and Murong Jiu should beat all FOUR combined and equal Gong 9.

However, if Dugu Yihe changed his name to Dugu Yihe (獨孤一鶴 to 獨孤亿鶴), he should beat the whole universe combined!
    Last edited by CC; 02-22-10 at 01:00 PM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

獨孤亿鶴
    -- Good one! --

I always knew there was a reason I hated math.

I also sort of always knew the hate gods would come back into vogue during my lifetime...I was a fool to believe I had left them behind forever back in the 1990s.