Thread: Sexist

Default Sexist

do you think TVB is sexist??

(i'm not bashing tvb.. i love tvb. I am just doing some hk media research i am interested in ways in which TVB shows can be improved in terms of gender portrayal! )

wat do u mean sexist in wat ways??? just tat i felt tat sometimes the people tat tvb finds for the diff characters for the series are so not suitable for it....

their styles does not even fit into the characters.. as i continued i felt so weird watching them act....
    fan of 謝 君 豪...

DEDICATION Is Not What Others Expect Of You;
    It Is What You Can Give To Others.

I'm more disturbed by TVB's homophobia. They present gay men as 'sissies' instead of normal like everyone else (Burning Flame II, Take My Word for It for example).
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

thats a really good point! especially of men huh. not so much of women. though still really skewed portrayals. i would be interested in them showing a greater more diverse representation of the queer hmm

season-of-fun: by sexist, i mean 性別歧視.. like, unfair portrayals of women or men within their TV series.

not their corporate structure/production environment etc
    Last edited by dissertation; 06-01-06 at 09:25 PM.

for some weird reasons.. i see more cases of homosexuals committing crimes

in Detective Investigating Files 4, FLorence Kwok was a lesbian and she was a murderer

In TO catch the uncatchable,a murder case with Gilbert Lam and someone else who was gay

In thin Air- The rose killer turned out to be a lesbian

anyways, I think Jin Yong series are sexist compared to what TVB produce
    Last edited by Sugar; 06-01-06 at 10:33 PM.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    for some weird reasons.. i see more cases of homophobics committing crimes

in Detective Investigating Files 4, FLorence Kwok was a lesbian and she was a murderer

In TO catch the uncatchable,a murder case with Gilbert Lam and someone else who was gay

Those are not homophobics. Those are homosexuals. Homophobes are people who dislike/hates homosexuals.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

not so much sexist, but defintely stereoptyped and biased

the favourite gals are always painted as 'nice, soft and fluffy' girls, who somehow always wins the in-law's approval by exemplary cooking skills, are impossibly kind and overly considerate. They tend to be a bit of a walk over - but no worries their male partners hides this weakness by making it their duty to 'look after them'.

Women who are career minded, have any sort of power or in leadership roles must possess masculine traits such as being loud, insensitivity to others and a domineering personality. Which is frowned upon for a female and producers punish their characters with a string of broken marriages or relationships, no family or infertility, lack of close friends. For those who redeem themselves at the end must realise their 'faults' and get together with a guy.

Oh and being pretty is a virtue

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Those are not homophobics. Those are homosexuals. Homophobes are people who dislike/hates homosexuals.

*smacks head* i meant homosexuals.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybaby
    not so much sexist, but defintely stereoptyped and biased

the favourite gals are always painted as 'nice, soft and fluffy' girls, who somehow always wins the in-law's approval by exemplary cooking skills, are impossibly kind and overly considerate. They tend to be a bit of a walk over - but no worries their male partners hides this weakness by making it their duty to 'look after them'.

Women who are career minded, have any sort of power or in leadership roles must possess masculine traits such as being loud, insensitivity to others and a domineering personality. Which is frowned upon for a female and producers punish their characters with a string of broken marriages or relationships, no family or infertility, lack of close friends. For those who redeem themselves at the end must realise their 'faults' and get together with a guy.

Oh and being pretty is a virtue
    Agree with everything you said about these stereotypes. Career women are always depicted as tough and insensitive and if they are one of the main characters, they will also be depicted as actually soft and lonely inside.

Quote Originally Posted by dissertation
    thats a really good point! especially of men huh. not so much of women. though still really skewed portrayals. i would be interested in them showing a greater more diverse representation of the queer hmm

season-of-fun: by sexist, i mean 性別歧視.. like, unfair portrayals of women or men within their TV series.

not their corporate structure/production environment etc
    Well, not entirely. For example, the couple of guys in The King of Yesterday and Tomorrow. They were definitely not sissies.

for some weird reasons.. i see more cases of homosexuals committing crimes

Lol.. that's because at first, nobody would think that the victims are killed by a lesbian. You know, its like sorta new. But now.. its become common already.

Miss Sugar, JY is already 90+ years old. He's a product of his generation. His novels were written decades ago. Of course they will be sexist. His last work was written in 1972 while his first work was written in 1955. You compare series produced between 1955 and 1972 with JY novels and see whether they are really less sexist or not.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-02-06 at 01:21 AM.

OMG I thought I was the only one who thought that some of these topics are present/or not present in TVB series.

I watch both Thai and HK series and I can't help but compare the two different ways each country presents certain themes in their series. From most of the modern TVB series that I've seen, I find not many touch on very heavy topics like drugs, prostitution, homosexuality ect....... if they are present, they are not normally the main topic of the series. For example drugs, now in TVB series, it is normally presented in some detective series where some gangsters are selling it and the police have to catch them. In some Thai series, the main guy actually consumes it, and the storyline revolves around how destructive it is and how he redeems himself.

Now I know that each country's series has their pros and cons, and each country has different cultures but sometimes I wish TVB would present more modern day topics into their series, it might be something different for a change.
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Miss Sugar, JY is already 90+ years old. He's a product of his generation. His novels were written decades ago. Of course they will be sexist. His last work was written in 1972 while his first work was written in 1955. You compare series produced between 1955 and 1972 with JY novels and see whether they are really less sexist or not.
    yeah, i know. But back in the late 80's, i think the most prominent TVB series were based on Jin Yong, which were sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutisa
    For example drugs, now in TVB series, it is normally presented in some detective series where some gangsters are selling it and the police have to catch them. In some Thai series, the main guy actually consumes it, and the storyline revolves around how destructive it is and how he redeems himself.
    yeah that would make for an interesting show/plot.. i think a lot of it has to do with advertising..it'd be hard to find companies that are willing to link their brandname with shows that focused primarily on drugs, or prostitution. hmm.. cuz you can never really gauge how the audience is gonna react :P

yeah, i know. But back in the late 80's, i think the most prominent TVB series were based on Jin Yong, which were sexist.
    But still it's unfair to compare JY novels written in 1960's and tvb script written in 1980's and said TVB is less sexist. Furthermore, JY stories are stories set in the hundreds of years ago in the past where most society are partriachal and women's place is at home looking after husband and child. So, of course the stories will be sexist. Even series made in 2006 that was set in the past are also sexist.

Anyway, I would rather watch JY sexist series and Qiong Yao's weepy series where all the men are emotional care only about petty stuff.