View Poll Results: Emperor Qianlong - Chinese Han or Manchu?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chinese Han

4 13.79%
  • Manchu

18 62.07%
  • Not Sure

7 24.14%

Thread: Is Emperor Qianlong a Chinese Han or a Manchu?

Post Is Emperor Qianlong a Chinese Han or a Manchu?

In Romance of the Book & Sword, Jin Yong had the idea of Emperor Qianlong being of Chinese Han origin/blood and not of Manchu origin. This legend was popular back in JY's hometown, and was also debated by several historians.

So in your opinion, is Emperor Qianlong actually a Chinese Han or a Manchu?
    ..ext88

JY... well... makes things up sometimes

Qian Long had some Han blood for sure. His grandfather Kang Xi was half Han as his mother was a Han from a family who swore allegiance to the Manchus before the Manchus conquered China.

TommyH
    Unregistered

In Jin Yong's world QL is Han. In real life I don't know. But since I didn't read the initial post before I posted I voted for Han.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

there's a rumour about Yongzheng getting laid with a commoner Han girl on one of his hunting trips and that girl gave birth to QL (now this is the version i saw = Secret Battle of The Majesties, truly brilliant series!) and Yong Zheng brought this girl to become his concubine....so here QL is half-han. the other rumour was that yong zheng switched his child with another from a Han couple...so in a way QL did not have any Manchu blood in him...but that is just it, research been undergone, and the dates arent right...so the incident could have never happened....but still, the rumours continue spreading...no suprise...

anyway, it is also said that kang xi put yong zheng's name in his will because he wanted qian long to accend the throne....QL was his fav grandson during his time anyway.....

i truly think the power feud between Kangxi's princes were the most interesting i ever read about....abolishing the Crown prince and then reinstating the prince again, and then abolishing him again and finally sent him to prison....kewl!!

its cool diggin up things of the ancient time, isnt it?
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 06-04-06 at 10:27 PM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    there's a rumour about Yongzheng getting laid with a commoner Han girl on one of his hunting trips and that girl gave birth to QL (now this is the version i saw = Secret Battle of The Majesties, truly brilliant series!) and Yong Zheng brought this girl to become his concubine....so here QL is half-han. the other rumour was that yong zheng switched his child with another from a Han couple...so in a way QL did not have any Manchu blood in him...but that is just it, research been undergone, and the dates arent right...so the incident could have never happened....but still, the rumours continue spreading...no suprise...

anyway, it is also said that kang xi put yong zheng's name in his will because he wanted qian long to accend the throne....QL was his fav grandson during his time anyway.....

i truly think the power feud between Kangxi's princes were the most interesting i ever read about....abolishing the Crown prince and then reinstating the prince again, and then abolishing him again and finally sent him to prison....kewl!!

its cool diggin up things of the ancient time, isnt it?
    lol.. You should consider being a historian in future

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    lol.. You should consider being a historian in future
    too bad im stuck with engineering....
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 06-05-06 at 05:30 AM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan
    Qian Long had some Han blood for sure. His grandfather Kang Xi was half Han as his mother was a Han from a family who swore allegiance to the Manchus before the Manchus conquered China.
    i just noticed this comment. to be correct, Kangxi's mother was not of Han Chinese. from what i know, she was Emperor Shunzi's concubine of the Tunggiya clan. Her family was from Jurchen origin but lived among the chinese for generations and adopted the chinese name Tong. This is then switched to the clan name Tunggiya afterwards. She was known as Empress Dowager Cihe when Kangxi accended the throne. She is then known as Empress Xiaokang Zhang after she died.

oh well, just in case anyone would want to know of course...
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 06-08-06 at 05:33 AM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- The Spaniard -

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    So in your opinion, is Emperor Qianlong actually a Chinese Han or a Manchu?
    Historically, QianLong was 100% Manchu.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c View Post
    i just noticed this comment. to be correct, Kangxi's mother was not of Han Chinese. from what i know, she was Emperor Shunzi's concubine of the Tunggiya clan. Her family was from Jurchen origin but lived among the chinese for generations and adopted the chinese name Tong. This is then switched to the clan name Tunggiya afterwards. She was known as Empress Dowager Cihe when Kangxi accended the throne. She is then known as Empress Xiaokang Zhang after she died.

oh well, just in case anyone would want to know of course...
    If the family has been living amongst the Han for generations, the bloodline surely get mixed with the Han from marriage. Unless they strictly married pure blooded Jurchen women only. Therefore, it is possible Qian Long has some Han blood in him (not 100% Manchu).
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree